Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I always assumed Ace was just saying Blackbeard was about twice as old as himself but yeah this does put it in new context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just mainly find all this stuff fascinating cause discrepancies between translations/languages in manga scans has been a thing I've constantly found interesting.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So some people have pointed out that if Blackbeard can't/doesn't sleep it means he's never 'dreamed' at least not in the traditional sense. If the Will of D. is the Will of Dreams, it would make sense why he's the odd one out.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Digging around, it looks like a few people predicted that Teach couldn't sleep based off his childhood picture.

https://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=onepiece&no=2591

This (Korean) post is really interesting cause it was made way back in 2016. Also, Sanji and Luffy talk about people who can't sleep, and the conversation takes places in Drum Kingdom, which is the first time the Blackbeard Pirates are mentioned.

Which is a segue that leads to some translation differences that I found interesting

During Ace's meeting with Blackbeard (chapter 440, episode 325), he says that Blackbeard has lived "twice as longer/much as other people", and the Korean community has focused on that as a hint to answer behind his mystery. Interestingly, the English scans (official and fan) didn't translate it like this, though the subs did. Note the emphasis on the dialogue in the Korean and Japanese versions.

Official Japanese (倍 means double, twice, etc. by itself, I think, and -fold if there's a number in front of it, at least according to the Internet, and 人(ひと) means person/people, I think):

The English scans seem to have gone with the interpretation that Blackbeard is just old (therefore, lived longer than most people/Ace), but Blackbeard's not really that old, comparatively. Like, he was the second-youngest pre-timeskip Warlord (Hancock being the one younger than him) at 38. He's only 2 years older than Buggy and Shanks, and younger than Marco, Katakuri, etc. So the comment doesn't seem to be about age, persay.

But now that we know that Blackbeard apparently doesn't sleep, then it makes a lot more sense, especially given what Shanks says in response.

Unofficial English:

Again, the word twice. I'm wondering if the word 倍 was used like in the case above.

So, I know some rudimentary Japanese - definitely not fluent, but enough to translate what Ace is saying on a surface level. Admittedly I may be missing some more subtle context or something, but here we go. This is a very literal translation, ignoring style and readability in order to try to translate as exact a meaning of the words as possible, since that seems to be more useful for this discussion.

First speech bubble: Teach, stop with unnecessary questions.
Second bubble: ......you're a person that's walked/progressed through life twice (note: this is not implying he's lived once before and died, or anything like that, but almost like he's lived a double life, or two lives at the same time), you're able to understand this situation / circumstance (I'm a little iffy on the "you're able to understand" part of this, as it's using some grammar and word tenses I'm unfamiliar with, but it seems to be implying "There's no way you can't understand this" based on how everyone else seems to translate it.)

The important part for the conversation is the "人の倍の人生を歩んでるお前" line, specifically "人の倍の人生" - 人 is the word for person, 倍 is the word for "twice", and 人生 is the word for "a lifetime" or "a human life, from conception to death". The の symbols in there are grammar letters that show each word is directly connected to the one before it. So the absolutely literal way to translate this is "twice lifetime of human". This could MAYBE imply that he's lived an entire life before and has been reincarnated somehow, but I honestly doubt that and seems to be more implying that he's lived his life twice so far.

If you're willing to find the japanese raws of that scene with shanks and buggy, I could try to see if the wording is at all similar.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
A devil fruit that lets you restart your life with your original memories would be pretty neat. Bit too similar to Brook’s fruit but that’s never stopped Oda before.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

That's basically Bonneys fruit.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kild posted:

That's basically Bonneys fruit.

We don’t really know if her aging powers are permanent though(aside from herself). They might have a range limit after which they wear off.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So since blackbeard's the hot topic again, it reminds me of a dumb fan theory idea one of my friends is absolutely obsessed with; they are one hundred percent convinced that the series is going to take a hard dive into cannibalism town and that, that's how black beard got his second fruit power. By eating part of White Beard. Apparently this is a popular theory, I think it's insane. This has been my post about what random people online say about animes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Well it worked for Big Mom.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nuebot posted:

So since blackbeard's the hot topic again, it reminds me of a dumb fan theory idea one of my friends is absolutely obsessed with; they are one hundred percent convinced that the series is going to take a hard dive into cannibalism town and that, that's how black beard got his second fruit power. By eating part of White Beard. Apparently this is a popular theory, I think it's insane. This has been my post about what random people online say about animes.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Well it worked for Big Mom.

Given the nature of his powers, I think he might've absorbed WB's soul and thus his fruit.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
That's basically the entire crux of that theory. I'll be so disappointed if the big mystery is just that he ate some man.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nuebot posted:

lmao

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Azathoth256 posted:

I love the running joke of the disgusted face.

:yeah:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nuebot posted:

Marco implied that the 2nd devil fruit thing was because of Blackbeard’s unusual body so that’s still unexplained. If it was just cannibalism that let you get another fruit I think it would’ve been found out by now, Big Mom in particular would benefit greatly from it.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

During Ace's meeting with Blackbeard (chapter 440, episode 325), he says that Blackbeard has lived "twice as longer/much as other people", and the Korean community has focused on that as a hint to answer behind his mystery. Interestingly, the English scans (official and fan) didn't translate it like this, though the subs did. Note the emphasis on the dialogue in the Korean and Japanese versions.

Official Japanese (倍 means double, twice, etc. by itself, I think, and -fold if there's a number in front of it, at least according to the Internet, and 人(ひと) means person/people, I think):

I went and checked the official French translation and they translated that line as "you're twice as smart as anyone else", which doesn't really inspire confidence in them.

Googling "人の倍の人生" only returns Japanese One Piece fansites too, so it's not an idiom everyone else missed.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The most solid theory is still that he’s just always had the Chimera fruit, which gives him three “heads” and the ability to use two other fruits as well which explains why sometimes he’s missing teeth and why he never sleeps (because one of the heads is always awake)

It also makes that crack pot theory of triplets or whatever the hell make sense I guess

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm not fully convinced that the missing teeth thing is a real clue, considering Oda has messed up some art stuff before. I'm fairly certain he's messed up Law's tattoos often, and I remember people talking about Crocodile being shown with two hands early on. Has Blackbeard been consistently shown to sometimes have more or less missing teeth, or was it a single instance that could be an art flaw?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RealFoxy posted:

The most solid theory is still that he’s just always had the Chimera fruit, which gives him three “heads” and the ability to use two other fruits as well which explains why sometimes he’s missing teeth and why he never sleeps (because one of the heads is always awake)

It also makes that crack pot theory of triplets or whatever the hell make sense I guess

I hope the head switching is just as horrifying as Dorohedoro.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
My first thought was his life's just been so goddamn rough he barely sleeps and is considered to have been through twice the poo poo even Ace has.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

cool parallel - even the bandages are the same

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Kild posted:

cool parallel - even the bandages are the same

It just occurred to me looking at this picture, Roger doesn't have the same "shishishi" laugh as Luffy and we know laughs are usually connected to devil fruits.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God drat that is a good spot.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

RatHat posted:

Marco implied that the 2nd devil fruit thing was because of Blackbeard’s unusual body so that’s still unexplained. If it was just cannibalism that let you get another fruit I think it would’ve been found out by now, Big Mom in particular would benefit greatly from it.

Oh don't worry, I think she already has.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Nuebot posted:

I mean they were right, they just focused on the wrong pirate. :v:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Indiana_Krom posted:

It just occurred to me looking at this picture, Roger doesn't have the same "shishishi" laugh as Luffy and we know laughs are usually connected to devil fruits.

Not really? People in OP just have unique laughs.

Roger is Uahahah

Id have much preferred he went by Yarharhar tho

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Is Sabo Oden's son????

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Not really? People in OP just have unique laughs.

Roger is Uahahah

Id have much preferred he went by Yarharhar tho

Yarharhar is being saved for the eyepatch pirate

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
So Blackbeard is two people, but not two DIFFERENT people, they're both blackbeard

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

There’s so many stupid little mistakes and them translating names however they want that makes me wanna rip my hair out. They even called the lodestar island something different because it’s all getting speed translated

2020 my only dream as a pirate is that the thread switches to the official scans

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I also feel that all those little mistakes stacking up fucks up characterizations and intentions in the long run

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

rannum posted:

Yarharhar is being saved for the eyepatch pirate
If it isn't a character we haven't seen yet, I'm betting on Blackbeard to get the eyepatch, given he's one of the most piratey pirates in a series about pirates.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

This chapter is loving great. After 20 years of buildup, Roger is simply a man with a dream who lives every day to its best, and it’s perfect.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
Does SJ itself have a reader somewhere and is it better than Viz's, or am I missing something with the one on the Viz site? I'm kind of taken aback at how bad it is. Disables scroll, has to be panned through click and drag, has to be zoomed in on every new page because it resets to the extremely compressed default upon each change, and so on. It's baffling to me. Like it seriously kind of kills the immersion and flow of just, you know, reading the drat chapter.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
we thought Im/Imu was silhouetted against the background but actually is covered in so many eyepatches they're black all over

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Violen posted:

Does SJ itself have a reader somewhere and is it better than Viz's, or am I missing something with the one on the Viz site? I'm kind of taken aback at how bad it is. Disables scroll, has to be panned through click and drag, has to be zoomed in on every new page because it resets to the extremely compressed default upon each change, and so on. It's baffling to me. Like it seriously kind of kills the immersion and flow of just, you know, reading the drat chapter.

most people use https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/updates

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Violen posted:

The Shonen Jump phone app is actually really good, in contrast to their incredibly lovely web reader.

that duck
Mar 23, 2013

I can't believe it...after all this time...haki lasers are real. I'll never doubt fan theories again.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

that duck posted:

I can't believe it...after all this time...haki lasers are real. I'll never doubt fan theories again.

Somewhere in the world Zorak breaks into a cold sweat and doesn’t know why.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/othatsraspberry/status/1208843593424625664?s=21

https://twitter.com/elijawinter/status/1208845144042156039?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

that duck posted:

The Haki lasers seem to be moving away from the combatants rather than towards them, though. They appear to be a side-effect of the swordfight, rather than a non-swordsmanship way of fighting that would allow Shanks to be stronger than Mihawk.