Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It was very much up its own arse. I still find it amazing that they managed to pull down the curtains and bathe Dracula in sunlight in his home. I know it didn't actually kill him but why would he stand right next to something he thinks could destroy him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It's pottery throwdown day. Countdown to Keith crying...

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The first episode of Dracula is good, the second is... Fine, and the third is a 90-minute wet fart where they just ran out of ideas and effort.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

They sent the wrong potter home...

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Pablo Bluth posted:

They sent the wrong potter home...

Definitely :mad:

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Bernard Woolley passed :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I’d like Richard Ayoade to replace Sandi on GBBO please.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/BBCAMERICA/status/1217986066852012032?s=20

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh actors look fine but I one first glance I thought it was more Witcher stuff and this has me worried.

And nothing says vague spin off genre-busting new original scripted series, if they are attempting some sort of clothed police parody with his daughter over seeing his ideas I'd give it a chance but I dunno.

Argh, conflicted.

Also amazed Richard Ayoade isn't a permanent panel host for something already. I read his most recent book and it was fantastic (thanks sis!)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh actors look fine but I one first glance I thought it was more Witcher stuff and this has me worried.

And nothing says vague spin off genre-busting new original scripted series, if they are attempting some sort of clothed police parody with his daughter over seeing his ideas I'd give it a chance but I dunno.

Rhi has virtually nothing to do with the show.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I will still give it a chance, I was always sad we never got plain clothes stuff with The Watch when he was alive.

I just want to see a troll try and jump around the front of a carriage to get on top.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Ayoade has left Travel Man so he is going to be free to take up some other gigs...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Actually just let him do some documentaries themed around cinema, that would be fantastic.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Yea that new Watch show looks loving poo poo. It's only got a budget of 15 million and that's for the whole show - which is really low in the modern day of TV so I expect it to be pretty bad just from that.

Sandi leaving bakeoff is really weird and honestly if she wasn't still doing other stuff I'd assume she was ill or something.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Low budget too? awww :smith:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

None of those pictures scream Discworld, and half of them don't even scream fantasy.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

None of those pictures scream Discworld, and half of them don't even scream fantasy.

Kind of remind me of the awkwardly early graphic novels of the nineties actually.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It looks more post-apocalyptic London than Ankh-Morpork.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The_Doctor posted:

I’d like Richard Ayoade to replace Sandi on GBBO please.

Julian Barratt pls

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Ayoade is really too good to permanently host some panel show thing and I think he probably knows it. I would imagine he's more interested in writing and directing than getting that kind of gig

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Conversely I think he’s a terrible fit for Crystal Maze. It’s all too knowing now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The_Doctor posted:

Conversely I think he’s a terrible fit for Crystal Maze. It’s all too knowing now.

Incidentally Nickelodeon put the first episode of their American version on Youtube (geoblocked but getting past that is pretty easy with a browser extension) and it's pretty good. Turns out if you don't spend a good chunk of the run time being ironic and telling the viewers the show is poo poo it's still a lot of fun. It helps that Adam Conover can very comfortably carry a show.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

The_Doctor posted:

Yea, he's a bit too Edward Tudor Pole where it's deliberately camp instead of it just naturally happening.
Richard O'Brien actually genuinely cared about the people.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

It looks more post-apocalyptic London than Ankh-Morpork.

I disagree. All we really “know” of what Ankh Morpork looks like comes from the cover illustrations* which started out just being wild depictions from the loosest brief and the style just stuck.

Frankly I’d rather see something a bit more lived in and rooted in our current reality than some inevitably poo poo attempt to bring Kirby’s artistic style to the screen. That would be both expensive and gaudy, and very very difficult to get right.

My point is that a semi futuristic vision actually feels like a pretty good choice for something being made today.

* I’m absolutely certain there are illustrated books out there that prove me wrong on this, but speaking as a casual Discworld fan I stand by my statement. Without going out of your way to find Discworld adjacent publications, it’s just what’s on the books.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ineptmule posted:

I disagree.

There are descriptions of the city all over the place in the books.
The BBC pics show light bulbs, where the books refer to electricity as more a party trick with cats, amber, and balloons.
There are mentions of street lamp lighters.
Even the most powerful (Vetenari) uses candles for every day stuff. Its even a major plot point in a book.
Transportation is always with horses (and the odd broom)..
There are people who collect poo poo and piss from houses, meaning there is no sewer or water system.
It is said often that the town is just built on top of whatever buildings have sunk into the swampy land its built on.

It's Medevil as gently caress.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Ankh Morpork went through the fantasy version of the first (minor) Industrial revolution in a 20 year period. I grant you that one or certain parts of the twin city look like Old London while other parts resemble a fusion mixture of early modern Paris, modern London and bits of Prague.

Plus you got a gently caress you physics Wizard College squatting in the top part of the cities with the reality breaking Tower of Art.

But I also feel every persons definition of fantasy is also different and considering fantasy now has more niche spin off genre that some music styles....

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

happyhippy posted:

There are descriptions of the city all over the place in the books.
The BBC pics show light bulbs, where the books refer to electricity as more a party trick with cats, amber, and balloons.
There are mentions of street lamp lighters.
Even the most powerful (Vetenari) uses candles for every day stuff. Its even a major plot point in a book.
Transportation is always with horses (and the odd broom)..
There are people who collect poo poo and piss from houses, meaning there is no sewer or water system.
It is said often that the town is just built on top of whatever buildings have sunk into the swampy land its built on.

It's Medevil as gently caress.

These are details that primarily work to convey to a grimy, squalid atmosphere, that can be achieved in other ways

Other than the candles thing, that is very specific. But again that could be implemented in a different way

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 18, 2020

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Are they actually doing diskworld or just lifting the stories to put into a workable frame?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

ineptmule posted:

These are details that primarily work to convey to a grimy, squalid atmosphere, that can be achieved in other ways

Other than the candles thing, that is very specific. But again that could be implemented in a different way

Slums like the Shades are sadly, quite timeless.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

goatface posted:

Are they actually doing diskworld or just lifting the stories to put into a workable frame?

From what I read its going to be a CSI 'crime of the week' per episode.
They could copy some of the books, but it would be hatchet jobs.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I guess ultimately what I’m trying to say is there are many, many more factors that are more likely to ruin a show than whether or not it’s a perfect recreation of the source material’s rather vague and highly subjective (in the mind of the reader) aesthetic. Much more important, especially for Pratchett, is whether the wit and atmosphere comes across. I don’t think we can infer much about the first from these preview images but the second seems to me to be pretty on message.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Slums like the Shades are sadly, quite timeless.

Definitely!

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Telly adaptations of discworld always feel a bit slapstick to me. I don't think the comedy of the books ever seems to translate very well to screen so I'm not holding out any hope for this one.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Ayoade treats THE CRYSTAL MAZE as though it was a contractual obligation he couldn't get out of. It's not like anyone wants to defend the sanctity of that show, but watching a host brimming with contempt wears out its welcome by the end of an episode.

Apropos of nothing but gently caress Laurence Fox who seems to be going the 'own the libs to spare the scraps of my career' route.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

DrVenkman posted:

Ayoade treats THE CRYSTAL MAZE as though it was a contractual obligation he couldn't get out of. It's not like anyone wants to defend the sanctity of that show, but watching a host brimming with contempt wears out its welcome by the end of an episode.
I think it's a joke.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I assume they blind sided the man with the whole 'It's a whole series, not a one off'.

I imagine he was just as tired as well towards the end too.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That attitude was there from the start though, and it made the show unpleasant to watch for me because it's hard to get into a show when the host is constantly telling you its rubbish.

Really though I watched the new Crackerjack and I kinda want to take that and shove it in the face of every TV exec commissioning a revival of something and just say "This. Do this" because that show was really fun to watch even with zero nostalgia for the show and being roughly 18 years removed from the target demographic.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It wasn't a good mix no, especially with some of the more awkward guests too. Crystal Maze should have gotten a better deal but that is telly for you now.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

DrVenkman posted:

Apropos of nothing but gently caress Laurence Fox who seems to be going the 'own the libs to spare the scraps of my career' route.

If you look up his music, he's been writing songs with blatantly neonazi lyrics for some time now, he just keeps the tunes bland af so no one outside his target audience notices.

Re: The Watch, everyone from the rights holder (i.e. people who were connected to Terry Pratchett) have been very careful to say they had NOTHING to do with the show since it resurfaced, it very much seems like they're doing damage control before a huge stinking turd drops.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Avenue 5 started on HBO last night, so I presume Sky Atlantic tonight or soon? I thought it was good fun, and I totally didn't recognise Rebecca Front due to her accent. Good cast, if you can't tolerate Josh Gad this won't change anything though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

ookiimarukochan posted:

Re: The Watch, everyone from the rights holder (i.e. people who were connected to Terry Pratchett) have been very careful to say they had NOTHING to do with the show since it resurfaced, it very much seems like they're doing damage control before a huge stinking turd drops.

And my last tiny grain of optimism dissolves like that.

Ah well, might put these attempts to bed. Like the poster says above it doesn't seem the concept of visual media will ever work with Discworld. Which is meta as gently caress, as Moving Pictures is always the one that gets panned the most.