Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

No PHB race bumps your wisdom up, right? Human or Half elf could, but only by one. Is there a UA or other expanded material race that gets a +2?

e: Or any other non-item way to start with the 15-15-15-8-8-8 thing and avoid wisdom save penalties?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I've been statting up a barbarian or two for shits and giggles lately, and Unarmoured Defence simply seemed like a bit of a crappy class feature to me. The kind of stat dumping I'd need to engage in to get CON/DEX to acceptable levels just fails to appeal. At least monks get DEX as a main stat.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MMAgCh posted:

I've been statting up a barbarian or two for shits and giggles lately, and Unarmoured Defence simply seemed like a bit of a crappy class feature to me. The kind of stat dumping I'd need to engage in to get CON/DEX to acceptable levels just fails to appeal. At least monks get DEX as a main stat.

Yeah, it's what's prevented me from going barbarian so far. I don't mind low mental stats on huge angry sword man, but gently caress starting with save penalties on one of the big 3. e: Like, with 15s in dex and con you've got AC 14. Wear half plate and you get AC 17 instead. The various other features I can see specify "not in heavy armor", rather than "unarmoured", so it seems pretty pointless.

What does everyone reckon the best totem is? Eagle?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 11, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Silly scrub-tier question about monks and their number of attacks, because I'm not sure I'm interpreting this correctly. Please attempt an actual answer beyond a snarky "ask your DM"; assume in this case that I am the DM:

• Martial Arts (1st level) gives you one unarmed strike as a bonus action when you make an unarmed/monk weapon attack action. That's 1 Attack, 1 Bonus Attack.
  • Flurry of Blows gives you 2 unarmed bonus attacks after you take an attack action, provided you spend 1 ki point. Does Martial Arts stack with that (so I would make 1 Attack, and get 1 Bonus Attack from Martial Arts, and another 2 Bonus Attacks from Flurry of Blows)?
  • Extra Attack (5th level) says that you attack twice instead of once whenever you take an Attack action. Does that still only count as one Attack action, or does it count as two (thereby proccing both of the above twice?) -- gonna assume this only counts as one Attack action because that sounds completely broken.

I guess the source of some of my confusion is not being sure if the rules are supposed to distinguish between "take an Attack action" and "make a melee attack".

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

AlphaDog posted:

How did they end up with only +2 or +3 between con and dex mods though?

Through a combination of rolling for stats, and then dishing them out based on roleplay reasons. From memory, dex is dumped. But boy does she know about plants!

I'll break out the straightforward medium armor suggestion next session. Hopefully to a chorus of "huh, oh yeah..."

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Drone posted:

Silly scrub-tier question about monks and their number of attacks, because I'm not sure I'm interpreting this correctly. Please attempt an actual answer beyond a snarky "ask your DM"; assume in this case that I am the DM:

• Martial Arts (1st level) gives you one unarmed strike as a bonus action when you make an unarmed/monk weapon attack action. That's 1 Attack, 1 Bonus Attack.
  • Flurry of Blows gives you 2 unarmed bonus attacks after you take an attack action, provided you spend 1 ki point. Does Martial Arts stack with that (so I would make 1 Attack, and get 1 Bonus Attack from Martial Arts, and another 2 Bonus Attacks from Flurry of Blows)?
  • Extra Attack (5th level) says that you attack twice instead of once whenever you take an Attack action. Does that still only count as one Attack action, or does it count as two (thereby proccing both of the above twice?) -- gonna assume this only counts as one Attack action because that sounds completely broken.

I guess the source of some of my confusion is not being sure if the rules are supposed to distinguish between "take an Attack action" and "make a melee attack".

That stuff is genuinely poorly written and actively contradictory so don't feel worried if you see it as confusing. I believe it goes:

Martial arts gives 1 attack + 1 bonus attack
Flurry of Blows turns this to 2 attack + 1 bonus attack
Extra Attack turns this to 3 attack + 1 bonus attack.

At least thats how i've run it.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

AlphaDog posted:

No PHB race bumps your wisdom up, right? Human or Half elf could, but only by one. Is there a UA or other expanded material race that gets a +2?

e: Or any other non-item way to start with the 15-15-15-8-8-8 thing and avoid wisdom save penalties?

Elf (Zendikar Joraga)
Elf (Zendikar Mul Daya)
Elf (Zendikar Tajuru)
Firbolg
Merfolk (Cosi/Trickster)

This list also has the werelion, but that is from some open gaming thing in 2015 called Southland Heroes.

AlphaDog posted:

Yeah, it's what's prevented me from going barbarian so far. I don't mind low mental stats on huge angry sword man, but gently caress starting with save penalties on one of the big 3. e: Like, with 15s in dex and con you've got AC 14. Wear half plate and you get AC 17 instead. The various other features I can see specify "not in heavy armor", rather than "unarmoured", so it seems pretty pointless.

Bear. Period. Well some of the others probably have good things, depending on the level you take them. But Bear at 3 is real nice. That said you don't pick an animal and only take its things at each point, you can have like Bear at 3 and Eagle at 6, etc. If you wanted to.

Drone posted:

So when it says you make an attack as a Bonus Action that means using the Bonus Action which you get 1 of per round.

So with Martial Arts you make 1 attack with an Unarmed Strike or Monk Weapon, then use a Bonus Action to make an Unarmed Strike. At 5th level when you get Extra Attack that changes to 2 attacks with an Unarmed Strike or Monk Weapon when you take the Attack Action and when you then use a Bonus Action you can make 1 Unarmed Strike.

When it comes to Flurry of Blows you make 1 or 2 attacks as above with your Attack Action, and then spend 1 ki point to use Flurry of Blows as a Bonus Action. Giving you 2 additional Unarmed Strikes. Four a total of 4 attacks at 5th level.

kingcom posted:

That stuff is genuinely poorly written and actively contradictory so don't feel worried if you see it as confusing. I believe it goes:

Martial arts gives 1 attack + 1 bonus attack
Flurry of Blows turns this to 2 attack + 1 bonus attack
Extra Attack turns this to 3 attack + 1 bonus attack.

At least thats how i've run it.

This is wrong. But very close. Flurry of blows is 1 attack + 2 bonus attacks. Flurry of Blows plus Extra Attack would thus be 2 attacks + 2 bonus attacks.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ryuujin posted:

This is wrong. But very close. Flurry of blows is 1 attack + 2 bonus attacks. Flurry of Blows plus Extra Attack would thus be 2 attacks + 2 bonus attacks.

So Flurry of Blows does NOT stack with Martial Arts? Flurry of Blows itself has 1 attack + 2 bonus attacks, so the 1 attack would not then also proc Martial Arts?
Meaning Flurry of Blows is just a version of Martial Arts that gives you one more bonus attack than you would have had otherwise?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Drone posted:

So Flurry of Blows does NOT stack with Martial Arts? Flurry of Blows itself has 1 attack + 2 bonus attacks, so the 1 attack would not then also proc Martial Arts?
Meaning Flurry of Blows is just a version of Martial Arts that gives you one more bonus attack than you would have had otherwise?

They are both Bonus Actions. You get 1 of those per round. They do not stack they are mutually exclusive. One is free the other costs ki. And yeah it is basically an upgraded Martial Arts, just with a ki cost.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Drone posted:

confusion

Yep, it's confusing as gently caress.

Drone posted:

Martial Arts (1st level) gives you one unarmed strike as a bonus action when you make an unarmed/monk weapon attack action. That's 1 Attack, 1 Bonus Attack.
Flurry of Blows gives you 2 unarmed bonus attacks after you take an attack action, provided you spend 1 ki point. Does Martial Arts stack with that (so I would make 1 Attack, and get 1 Bonus Attack from Martial Arts, and another 2 Bonus Attacks from Flurry of Blows)?

Martial Arts lets you make an unarmed strike as a bonus action when you take an Attack Action. Flurry Of Blows lets you make 2 unarmed strikes as a bonus action after you take an Attack Action. The two can't stack, you only get to take one bonus action per round.

Drone posted:

Extra Attack (5th level) says that you attack twice instead of once whenever you take an Attack action. Does that still only count as one Attack action, or does it count as two (thereby proccing both of the above twice?) -- gonna assume this only counts as one Attack action because that sounds completely broken.

The Monk's Extra Attack means you make two attacks every time you take an Attack Action. It does not mean you get two Actions.

An Attack Action is when you spend your Action to Attack. Some classes get multiple Attacks per Action, but usually not multiple Actions (fighter's Action Surge being an exception).

What exactly a Melee Attack is is kinda :worms:, but try not to worry about it. To summarise:

* You get one Action per turn unless something gives you an extra one. If you attack with your Action, it's an Attack Action and you get to make one or more attacks, the number depending on your class and level.
* A Bonus Action isn't the same thing as an additional Action. It's a special thing you get to do when an ability (like the Monk's flurry of blows) says you can, but you can only do one per round regardless of how many abilities you have that give you a bonus action.
* Some abilities from some classes give you an extra Action. This isn't a bonus action (as above, that's its own thing), it is a second Action, which you could use to take an Attack Action and get one or more attacks again.

e: beaten. Thanks Ryujin for the wisdom mod info.

e2:

Drone posted:

I hope I can help you be less confused. There is no such thing as a bonus attack. There is a bonus action, and you can have one of those per round. Some abilities let you make one or more attacks as a bonus action. They will say "do XYZ as a bonus action".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 11, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

AlphaDog posted:

Martial Arts lets you make an unarmed strike as a bonus action when you take an Attack Action. Flurry Of Blows lets you make 2 unarmed strikes as a bonus action after you take an Attack Action. The two can't stack, you only get to take one bonus action per round.

This is where it clicked for me. My brain wasn't letting me parse more than one "attack" as a single "action".

So a 5th level monk who activates Flurry of Blows would get 2 attacks as part of a single Attack Action, and 2 unarmed attacks as part of a single Bonus Action... right?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Drone posted:

Yeah it lets you get an extra attack in. It costs resources to use however.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Drone posted:

So a 5th level monk who activates Flurry of Blows would get 2 attacks as part of a single Attack Action, and 2 unarmed attacks as part of a single Bonus Action... right?

You got it!

Lao-tze uses his one Action to take an Attack Action. He's 5th level so he has Extra Attack, which means he makes two attacks.

He then immediately spends one Ki point point to activate Flurry Of Blows, which uses his one Bonus Action and lets him make two unarmed strikes.

e: Don't think it's just you who is confused by this poo poo. Every time I play 5th ed, at least one player needs to have some part of the terminology surrounding attacks, actions, and melee explained or more usually re-explained to them.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 11, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MMAgCh posted:

It's strongly implied that Unarmored Defense is supposed to let you have as much AC as any other melee character for thematic purposes, but keying it off of Dex and Con fucks it up because characters really only have room for two high stats, so it's really more like just Con that's going to have any kind of significant modifier ... which means you're wearing "half" armor.

It would have been better to have it key off of Str and Con instead.

Drone posted:

Monk action economy bullshit

Okay, a lot of this stems from the jargon being awful.

Characters get Movement, an Action, and a Bonus Action. (and a Reaction)

For the sake of clarity, instead of "Action", let's call it a "Standard Action".

Instead of "Bonus Action", let's call it a "Minor Action", because a "Bonus Action" is not an "extra" Standard Action, but rather a completely different kind of Action, and you can only "spend" your Bonus Actions on things that specifically say they should be spent on Bonus Actions.

Again, for the sake of this post, [Action = Standard Action], and [Bonus Action = Minor Action]

1. When you spend your Standard Action on an Attack Action, you get to make an attack roll with your weapon (or your unarmed strike) against a target.

2. If you have the Extra Attack feature, your Attack Action (which costs a Standard Action to use) will let you make more than one attack roll (against the same or different targets)

3. Martial Arts: When you spend your Standard Action on an Attack Action, and you used it with a Monk weapon or an unarmed strike, you can also, as a follow-up, spend your Minor Action to make an attack roll against a target, using your unarmed strike

4. Flurry of Blows: When you spend your Standard Action on an Attack Action, you can spend 1 Ki point to activate Flurry of Blows, which lets you spend your Minor Action to make two attack rolls against a target, using your unarmed strike

So for a level 1 Monk:
Spend your Standard Action on an Attack Action to make one attack, then spend your Minor Action on Martial Arts to make another attack. Two attacks total.

When you hit level 2 and get access to Ki points and Flurry of Blows:
Spend your Standard Action on an Attack Action to make one attack, then spend your Minor Action on Martial Arts to make another attack. Two attacks total.
OR
Spend your Standard Action on an Attack Action to make one attack, then spend your Minor Action and 1 Ki point on Flurry of Blows to make two attacks. Three attacks total, BUT the Ki point expenditure means you cannot do this all the time.

When you hit level 5 and get access to the Extra Attack feature:
Spend your Standard Action on an Attack Action to make two attacks, then spend your Minor Action on Martial Arts to make another attack. Three attacks total.
OR
Spend your Standard Action on an Attack Action to make two attacks, then spend your Minor Action and 1 Ki point on Flurry of Blows to make another two attacks. Four attacks total, BUT the Ki point expenditure means you cannot do this all the time.

And finally, to be absolutely clear, using Martial Arts OR Flurry of Blows is ALSO mutually exclusive with anything else that demands you to use your Minor Action.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Whole thing reminds me of the old level/level/level bullshit except without the excuse of "it's been like that for so long that changing it would be even more confusing".

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

kingcom posted:

Who gives a gently caress about a demon lord, nobody cares about a demon lord.

...I see what you did there.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Falstaff posted:

...I see what you did there.

He got it wrong though. I said poo poo.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Shadow of the Demon Lord is a pretty good RPG.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
For a somewhat interesting topic related to them. Has anyone here used any of the notable Demon Lords in their campaigns or encountered any in them.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AlphaDog posted:

e: Or any other non-item way to start with the 15-15-15-8-8-8 thing and avoid wi,aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazza!aaaaaa!asdom save penalties?
Variant human with a +1 wis feat. Taking a race that gives +2 wis would be silly though, because you'd be giving up putting the +2 in a 13+ stat. You'd get the same wis for half the cost by dropping one of those 15s for a 14 and bumping your wis to a 10 natively. 15/15/15/8/10/8 vs 16/15/15/8/10/8.

That said, going non-variant human would net you +1 in four stats you care about. 15/13/15/8/9/8 gets you 16/14/16/9/10/9 with 3 points left over.

D&D ability scores are so dumb.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's strongly implied that Unarmored Defense is supposed to let you have as much AC as any other melee character for thematic purposes, but keying it off of Dex and Con fucks it up because characters really only have room for two high stats, so it's really more like just Con that's going to have any kind of significant modifier ... which means you're wearing "half" armor.

As always, merging str and con solves this problem.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

As always, death to ability scores.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The best way to unravel someone's sweater is to point out one loose thread and then walk away :ssh:

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:25 on May 11, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
But seriously you could merge con and str, change the standard array to something like 15/14/13/(10/10 or 12/8, player's choice), and pretty much run the game as written, but better. The only new problems would be with non-variant humans and a serious save overload on Brawn.

#5ScoresFor5E #KillCon #Smartbarians

e: major typo

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 11, 2017

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

bewilderment posted:

I'm playing OotA with a party right now but since it's short online sessions and six-people it moves veeeery slooooowly. We're still putzing around in the Dwarf City getting into unnecessary conflicts. Almost direct quote from last session:

Me: "So I just want to be clear on what's happening here before I take my turn, because so far all I've done is mildly hurt a death dog and then put it to sleep when it was weakened."
GM: "Well it was 1 HP, but that's like one-fifth of a peasant."
Me: "But only one-fortieth of a death dog, point still stands."
GM: "Sure, go on."
Me: "So we're trespassing on this location because we thought one of our allies was captured and brought here. That derro was rightly surprised at our intrusion and moved to loose his guard dog on us. And we kept on going because we heard weird chanting about Demogorgon. Now after pacifying the dog and killing the derro, the paladin is charging further into something that is possibly none of our business, and into more enemies?"
GM: "What's your alignment?"
Me: "Neutral."
GM: "And you're advocating for law here?"
Me: "No, I just want to know what I'm getting into."
GM: "OK. Yeah, that was all correct."
Me: "OK. Well, paladin, I have to tell you that when I picked my spells, my decisions were all based on the enemy needing to close the ground to us, not us charging ahead to meet the enemy."

Alignment chat reminds me of my group's last session. The team is infiltrating a devil stronghold on Avernus. It's heavily guarded, so they sneak in via waste outflow. Their only goal is to retrieve an artifact from the top floor and escape before the legions of fiends figure out what's happening and swarm them to death. So the cleric, as they're sneaking around, and not discussing it with anyone, starts knocking on all the doors. Some bearded devils answer a few of them, to which the cleric tries to bluff his way past. He does not speak Infernal or whatever so it goes poorly, and he let's them leave so they go and rouse the whole building. This goes poorly for the team.

I asked him after the game why his character decided to do this: "I'm chaotic neutral, it seemed like the most interesting thing to do. My character doesn't want to be here, and this seemed to be the most direct way to get out of here."

I told him that his alignment isn't an excuse to be an idiot.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
The problem with the monk thing there is that 5e mixed two general design philosophies to poor effect, using a technical phase based turn structure and pairing this with a dependence on natural language. Using "natural language" meanings for technical stages of a turn was a huge fuckup, because new players don't understand that, for example, a "bonus action" does not mean "an extra action you get as a bonus," but rather, "a part of the turn, a secondary action, a minor action. . . "

So they see the plain, natural language that says "as a bonus action you can do such and such" and they go "wow, great, I get to do such and such for free," because in plain language that's what a bonus is.

So one thing I think is important to do or have with new players is a list of the poo poo You Can Do In A Turn, and as they are designing new characters that are language intensive (such as monks, some forms of casters, etc.) you remind them of those terms.

But unfortunately 5e's attempt to escape from jargon to make the game more accessible makes it more difficult to run correctly because technical terms and plain terms clash. You always get a bonus action, so it's not really a bonus, is it?

Same thing applies for "extra attacks," because you can use an Action to Attack, and when you do, you Attack multiple times, but those multiple attacks are just one use of your Action, so then the plain language breaks down because now we're differentiating terms "when you make an attack, you can. . . " versus "when you use your action to make an attack, you can . . . "

The former goes off every time you swing a sword, the latter once per turn, twice if you action surge or haste or something. And if it uses a bonus action, it only ever goes off once in a turn period because you only get one bonus action, so you run into the situation of "when you use your action to make an attack, you can use a bonus action to. . ." and now the player is confused again because hey, I used action surge, and took two attack actions, so why can't I add [effect] twice? Well, it's because you still only get one bonus action.

All of this confusion is the result of very confused idiots jumping on a "natural language is better" bandwagon of I/O psych but failing entirely to understand in what cases it is better and in which cases one should still use technical terms or jargon.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 11, 2017

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
So to make the example with the monk, the reason it's so drat confusing is people struggle with the natural language meaning which is not what the actual turn meaning is.

At level 5, when you use your Action to make an Attack, you Attack twice. But you've used one Action.

Martial Arts is "when you use your Action to make an Attack, as a bonus action. . . " so it goes off once, as your bonus action, for 3 attacks.

Flurry of Blows is "when you use your Action to make an Attack, and spend one ki, as a bonus action. . . " so it still only goes off once, for a total of 4 attacks.

They are also exclusive with, for example, Shadow Step, which also takes a bonus action. We had to explain to a dude at our table recently that no, you can't shadow step then flurry of blows or martial arts. He had built a character (I think from the GITP or somewhere) that had level 3 rogue for sneak attack, but with a level 3 2d6 sneak attack this is objectively worse in every use case to using flurry of blows for two additional 1d4+5 unarmed attacks. Neither here nor there but he was trying to shadowstep up to sneak attack and then use martial arts or flurry, and the whole situation could have been avoided if it wasn't written with an obsessive insistence on using natural language in all the wrong places.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What's frustrating is that the insistence on using natural language everywhere was a kneejerk reaction to 4e being "too technical", but it's like nobody ever made the connection that even 3e was technical as all hell:

Okay, so this chart of what does and doesn't trigger an OA has been lampooned at various times as an example of 3e's complexity (and various d20 clones all have their own gimmicks to try to resolve it), but at the same time it does highlight how clear it is to actually look something up when you want to without any ambiguity.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I feel like monks should get even more attacks than they do now as they level. Either through extra attack additions or increasing the strikes in flurry of blows. Having martial arts start at 1d4 hampers their damage progression as well.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

AlphaDog posted:

Yeah, it's what's prevented me from going barbarian so far. I don't mind low mental stats on huge angry sword man
I kind of do mind, really. At least, I think it'd be nice if it were possible to do something more with the class than "huge angry sword man". It's a pretty narrow niche concept-wise, at least if you still want the character to be good at what the class is supposed to do (i.e. not settling for STR 14 after modifiers or whatever).

Of course the answer to my woes most likely is "play another class" or at least "multiclass into whatever class suits your concept", but these just make me feel like I have to go out of my way farther than I should have to just to play the sort of character I have in mind. Pretending that Unarmoured Defence doesn't exist may just be the best recourse for me.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Trast posted:

I feel like monks should get even more attacks than they do now as they level. Either through extra attack additions or increasing the strikes in flurry of blows. Having martial arts start at 1d4 hampers their damage progression as well.

4 attacks a round is solid, they just needed some ability to boost damage like Paladin smites. One of the better things in 5e is that every martial character isn't making 5-6 attacks each round, generally. That's mostly the purview of Fighters.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

gradenko_2000 posted:

Okay, a lot of this stems from the jargon being awful.

Characters get Movement, an Action, and a Bonus Action. (and a Reaction)

For the sake of clarity, instead of "Action", let's call it a "Standard Action".

Instead of "Bonus Action", let's call it a "Minor Action", because a "Bonus Action" is not an "extra" Standard Action, but rather a completely different kind of Action, and you can only "spend" your Bonus Actions on things that specifically say they should be spent on Bonus Actions.

Again, for the sake of this post, [Action = Standard Action], and [Bonus Action = Minor Action]

1. When you spend your Standard Action on an Attack Action, you get to make an attack roll with your weapon (or your unarmed strike) against a target.

2. If you have the Extra Attack feature, your Attack Action (which costs a Standard Action to use) will let you make more than one attack roll (against the same or different targets)

3. Martial Arts: When you spend your Standard Action on an Attack Action, and you used it with a Monk weapon or an unarmed strike, you can also, as a follow-up, spend your Minor Action to make an attack roll against a target, using your unarmed strike

4. Flurry of Blows: When you spend your Standard Action on an Attack Action, you can spend 1 Ki point to activate Flurry of Blows, which lets you spend your Minor Action to make two attack rolls against a target, using your unarmed strike

So for a level 1 Monk:

When you hit level 2 and get access to Ki points and Flurry of Blows:
OR
Spend your Standard Action on an Attack Action to make one attack, then spend your Minor Action and 1 Ki point on Flurry of Blows to make two attacks. Three attacks total, BUT the Ki point expenditure means you cannot do this all the time.

When you hit level 5 and get access to the Extra Attack feature:
Spend your Standard Action on an Attack Action to make two attacks, then spend your Minor Action on Martial Arts to make another attack. Three attacks total.
OR
Spend your Standard Action on an Attack Action to make two attacks, then spend your Minor Action and 1 Ki point on Flurry of Blows to make another two attacks. Four attacks total, BUT the Ki point expenditure means you cannot do this all the time.

And finally, to be absolutely clear, using Martial Arts OR Flurry of Blows is ALSO mutually exclusive with anything else that demands you to use your Minor Action.

This is a good post and reminds me when I had a Rogue player and had to go through this with movement and cunning action going through all the permeatations of "How far can you move in one turn" to "Hiding and sneak attacking and hiding again.' and all the things in between.

I really don't understand why the guide expects you to piece it all together separately instead of having a flow chart or diagram for at least the first 5 levels of all the abilities it gives you. It's pretty clear what they're trying to do, but as Paramemetic says, the dependence on natural language really loving hampers the ability to understand what the game wants you to do, and without a visual aid, it's pretty lovely.

Anyone got any recommendations for how to get a bunch of miniatures on the cheap? Don't have to be painted but My players want to get more combat focused and I want to be able to prepare.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

OfChristandMen posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for how to get a bunch of miniatures on the cheap? Don't have to be painted but My players want to get more combat focused and I want to be able to prepare.

Everything I've seen about minis is either find prepainted kits on sale, scour Ebay for grogs getting out of the hobby, or look for sales online at sites that specialize in them. Matthew Colville has a video all about minis that should help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUCpolL_6Tk

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Trast posted:

Everything I've seen about minis is either find prepainted kits on sale, scour Ebay for grogs getting out of the hobby, or look for sales online at sites that specialize in them. Matthew Colville has a video all about minis that should help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUCpolL_6Tk

Oh dope, I've been going through his videos (super awesome) and somehow missed that one, thanks!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

What's the deal with dark sun settings. Are player characters allowed to have magical skills? Are the mechanics of magic worse or the recovery is arduous? Or the in game penalty is you got everyone wanting to burn you.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Krinkle posted:

What's the deal with dark sun settings. Are player characters allowed to have magical skills? Are the mechanics of magic worse or the recovery is arduous? Or the in game penalty is you got everyone wanting to burn you.

There's three-ish official versions of Dark Sun (2e, 2e Revised, and 4e). So the answers can vary a bit, depending on which one we're talking about.

But in general, arcane casters come in two flavors: Preservers and Defilers. Preservers draw magic from the land to cast spells, but not quite enough to harm it. Defiles draw their magic more crudely, which does harm the land. But it's an easier path and arguably also more powerful (the specifics depend on which DS version). So Defilers are far more common. And the average Joe on the street doesn't know the difference anyway. All they know is that their local god-king tells them wizards are bad news.

Generally speaking, Dark Sun allows players to be arcane casters but you need to be prepared to hide your powers in many situations. There are some factions who are more educated on the subject and won't necessarily try to kill you on sight (if you're a Preserver) but you should never, ever be in a city and fly around on your magic broom for shits and giggles. This is not the Forgotten Realms, people will end you.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

OfChristandMen posted:

Oh dope, I've been going through his videos (super awesome) and somehow missed that one, thanks!

It's a really helpful series of videos. Glad you found it useful.

The Gate posted:

4 attacks a round is solid, they just needed some ability to boost damage like Paladin smites. One of the better things in 5e is that every martial character isn't making 5-6 attacks each round, generally. That's mostly the purview of Fighters.

Something along the lines of ki smites or more flavored martial arts special abilities like daily 4e powers?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

AlphaDog posted:

Go bear, gently caress AC as you'll be regularly giving advantage to enemies. Your survival is linked to having the largest block of HP and taking half damage from everything instead of not getting hit. Even a crit rolling GM is going to have time taking a Bear Barb out of the fray, which is why there's a lot of pro-caster pissing and moaning about how the barbarian who can only swing sword and be hit by swords is pretty drat good at both.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Paramemetic posted:

All of this confusion is the result of very confused idiots jumping on a "natural language is better" bandwagon of I/O psych but failing entirely to understand in what cases it is better and in which cases one should still use technical terms or jargon.

Magic started doing the same thing over the past several years and it hasn't helped. I remember feeling like an rear end in a top hat when, as a judge, and I'd have to explain that this creature that was killed with damage didn't actually "die" because some other effect exiles things instead of putting it into the grave and "dies" was a term of art that specifically meant the transition from battlefield to graveyard, no matter how it happened. Cards used to specifically say it but they figured "dies" was more intuitive by way of creating an entire exception where death isn't actually death.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Go bear, gently caress AC as you'll be regularly giving advantage to enemies. Your survival is linked to having the largest block of HP and taking half damage from everything instead of not getting hit. Even a crit rolling GM is going to have time taking a Bear Barb out of the fray, which is why there's a lot of pro-caster pissing and moaning about how the barbarian who can only swing sword and be hit by swords is pretty drat good at both.

Wait, do people seriously complain that the guy who has to go MAD just to hit things until they die is somehow overpowered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Wait, do people seriously complain that the guy who has to go MAD just to hit things until they die is somehow overpowered

It's a weirdly pervasive attitude, to the point where many people have an immediate "That's OP, it's not going in my game!" reaction to a new sword or bow ability that, on examination, is worse than making regular attacks.