Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Is one of the office workers me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

drat, it's really win win: you either get to work fast and badass, or you leave the struggle of mortals behind, as your souls traverses the endless halls of hades

Sign me right up

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I picked up the Anno 2205 DLC season pass in the sale last night, and the game is really loving pretty with the new regions.

The orbital research station. The big tech here, imo, is Animal Rights Policy: you can substitute rice for beef in luxury meals, letting you eliminate all those expensive, huge, awkwardly shaped cattle ranches and the soy farms that feed them. The cows moo no more within the Tlaloc Initiative (my main save's name), and the soybean blight has been eradicated.

The tundra is just plain pretty, despite the unholy amounts of fish and drugs these people consume.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Games that note when you've 'sequence broken' a quest item or similar; the one most everyone runs into is the tablet from the first dungeon you walk past in Skyrim and go oh I'll go take a look and later when the Jarls wizard says you should go on a dangerous quest to find a widget you go actually in my pocket here...

I got another one recently in AssCreed Origins where there's only one small army base in the starting area that you will probably go and knock over very soon after beginning your game, and then one of your contacts will ask you to go do something in that base (I forget what it was, kill all the guards probably) and your man Bayek is ahah guess what, already did

Any other notable instances?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Cythereal posted:

I picked up the Anno 2205 DLC season pass in the sale last night, and the game is really loving pretty with the new regions.

The orbital research station. The big tech here, imo, is Animal Rights Policy: you can substitute rice for beef in luxury meals, letting you eliminate all those expensive, huge, awkwardly shaped cattle ranches and the soy farms that feed them. The cows moo no more within the Tlaloc Initiative (my main save's name), and the soybean blight has been eradicated.

The tundra is just plain pretty, despite the unholy amounts of fish and drugs these people consume.

What sale? I love me some anno and got bored with 1800.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Son of Rodney posted:

What sale? I love me some anno and got bored with 1800.

Steam had, or has (don't know if it's still going) a huge city-builder sale.

Picked up the 2205 DLC season pass for five bucks, and 2070 complete edition for eight. All 75% off.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Games that note when you've 'sequence broken' a quest item or similar; the one most everyone runs into is the tablet from the first dungeon you walk past in Skyrim and go oh I'll go take a look and later when the Jarls wizard says you should go on a dangerous quest to find a widget you go actually in my pocket here...

I got another one recently in AssCreed Origins where there's only one small army base in the starting area that you will probably go and knock over very soon after beginning your game, and then one of your contacts will ask you to go do something in that base (I forget what it was, kill all the guards probably) and your man Bayek is ahah guess what, already did

PoE:Deadfire has a few instances, I always tend to do the Oathbreaker temple on the way to Neketaka so when whatserface in the pub asks me to rescue that elf who owes her money, who is now part of my crew you can tell her as much, but she still gets huffy about it.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Odyssey has a similar one which has been mentioned in the past a couple times:
One of the mythical beasts/pieces of Eden you hunt down is the Minotaur. In the region nearby the labyrinth & Minotaur are tourist attractions/traps.

If you best the minotaur before going there almost every quest giver has a variation of:
Alexios: I've already defeated the Minotaur.
Shopkeepers: Sure you did! :D But maybe it was a different minotaur? Here! Buy a commemorative medal!

AC:Odyssey also has it as a mechanic: as 'for some reason, Alexios/Kassandra ended up doing a quest they had no idea existed.' quests, which trigger if you complete a randomly generated mission, without accepting it first.
(There's a couple low-importance autogenerated sidequests, like 'kill this person' etc, that refresh regularly in the background.)

NonzeroCircle posted:

PoE:Deadfire has a few instances, I always tend to do the Oathbreaker temple on the way to Neketaka so when whatserface in the pub asks me to rescue that elf who owes her money, who is now part of my crew you can tell her as much, but she still gets huffy about it.

If you do the island with the Lighthouse (which is normally the quest you get sent to after reaching Neketaka) without doing the queen introduction section. Everyone will react to you notably differently due to you essentially skipping what was supposed to be their first introduction.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

NoneMoreNegative posted:

One of the other famous ones is the quest in Mass Effect 1 where you recruit Liara by rescuing her from being trapped in an alien device. You get assigned this quest at the same time as several others, and you can put off doing it until very late in the game. If you do this, you get alternate dialog where first she's delirious from spending so long stuck in the device, and then gets increasingly upset at learning that Shepard has accidentally completed her life's work while stumbling around the galaxy without her.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Elfface posted:

The random NPC names in Disgaea have always been a delight. My favourite so far have been 'Codblops' and 'I ATE THE BONES!'

"Napoleon Boner Fart" got a pretty good chuckle out of me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In Dark Souls 3 there's a lady early on in a cathedral who gives you the key item you need to proceed past the first main area.

You can also just kill her for it, which immediately spawns the late-game boss who shows up in that room much later. Despite how hard it may seem, if your dodging is good enough you can totally win the fight and access a huge chunk of the endgame early.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

One of the other famous ones is the quest in Mass Effect 1 where you recruit Liara by rescuing her from being trapped in an alien device. You get assigned this quest at the same time as several others, and you can put off doing it until very late in the game. If you do this, you get alternate dialog where first she's delirious from spending so long stuck in the device, and then gets increasingly upset at learning that Shepard has accidentally completed her life's work while stumbling around the galaxy without her.

I actually had that the first time I played through the game and thought it was hilarious.

I also never cared much about Liara as a character and that is probably why.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

CJacobs posted:

In Dark Souls 3 there's a lady early on in a cathedral who gives you the key item you need to proceed past the first main area.

You can also just kill her for it, which immediately spawns the late-game boss who shows up in that room much later. Despite how hard it may seem, if your dodging is good enough you can totally win the fight and access a huge chunk of the endgame early.

Similarly in dark souls 1 there's a guy who won't give you a key unless you prove yourself worthy by killing the midgame boss, or shank him and take the key off his body

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh yeah, DS1 also acknowledges sequence breaking in-universe. One of the few non-optional bosses is Sif, wolf companion of legendary knight Artorias. You meet Artorias in person in the DLC expansion and fight him to the death as he has gone hollow (for reference, in the DLC you have been forcibly yanked into the past). Later on in the DLC, you find a slightly smaller Sif protected but trapped by a magical seal Artorias cast, and you can free him. Should you do all that BEFORE fighting Sif, his boss intro cutscene changes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asDH5OBHT9o&t=42s

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 22:51 on Nov 4, 2020

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

CJacobs posted:

Oh yeah, DS1 also acknowledges sequence breaking in-universe. One of the few non-optional bosses is Sif, wolf companion of legendary knight Artorias. You meet Artorias in person in the DLC expansion and fight him to the death as he has gone hollow (for reference, in the DLC you have been forcibly yanked into the past). Later on in the DLC, you find a slightly smaller Sif protected but trapped by a magical seal Artorias cast, and you can free him. Should you do all that BEFORE fighting Sif, his boss intro cutscene changes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asDH5OBHT9o&t=42s

I did not know that :allears:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sif got done dirty. All he was trying to do was protect

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Len posted:

Sif got done dirty. All he was trying to do was protect

Technically, he can be used to make a decent shield so he still does protect.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Wasabi the J posted:

Technically, he can be used to make a decent shield so he still does protect.

I meant grown up Sif who just wants to keep that sword safe but not you gotta come in and kill him

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Pro-trick: Stop playing before Sif fight.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I thought the game was gonna have you pet the dog then kill it and I was gonna be not happy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Kennel posted:

This is legit what I did with the Shadow of the Colossus remaster. It had been years since I played the original. Fired it up. Rode around on Agros for a bit.

Then saw the first colossus and just couldn't do it.

I like to think of it as a tamagochi for Big Dudes who just lumber about having a nice time <3

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Flint_Paper posted:

This is legit what I did with the Shadow of the Colossus remaster. It had been years since I played the original. Fired it up. Rode around on Agros for a bit.

Then saw the first colossus and just couldn't do it.

I like to think of it as a tamagochi for Big Dudes who just lumber about having a nice time <3

I don't mind climbing hairy giants and stabbing the magic spots, it's the GIGANTIC SPURT of black blood stuff afterwards that always makes me feel like a bad person.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

And then Sif was sent to another dimension

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
*Sif died while teleporting to their home dimension

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Your Gay Uncle posted:

"Napoleon Boner Fart" got a pretty good chuckle out of me.

I've got a Warrior right now named Bright Boy.

I'm glad they put so many options that're dumb. I'm loving terrible at naming characters

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

RareAcumen posted:

I've got a Warrior right now named Bright Boy.

I'm glad they put so many options that're dumb. I'm loving terrible at naming characters

"Fart McCloud" is a good goto option if you're ever out of ideas

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been playing the original Pokemon Red for nostalgia reasons and my god, is Geodude the most sassy creature in Kanto.

He looks like he's saying "If you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve to have me at my best. move out of the way bitch!"

He doesn't even have hips, but he's resting his hand on them anyway.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kennel posted:

All Walker had to do was just leave Lordran immediately and none of this would've happened.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

All Walker had to do was just leave Lordran immediately and none of this would've happened.

You are still a good Chosen Undead

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

BioEnchanted posted:

I've been playing the original Pokemon Red for nostalgia reasons and my god, is Geodude the most sassy creature in Kanto.

He looks like he's saying "If you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve to have me at my best. move out of the way bitch!"

He doesn't even have hips, but he's resting his hand on them anyway.

I always like to think of him as saying "get to steppin!"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I have never had a problem killing Sif,aybe I'm a monster.

My pyro buddy though, I was sad when he went hollow :(

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I got Eastshade and it’s a very calm and relaxing game

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Finally started up AC Odyssey, and it seems like it has the best horse autopilot I've seen so far, for following roads in general or specifically to your quest waypoint. It even marks out the path you'll be following in the latter case. I've spent a while using it and have never encountered anything worse than it following sharp road angles a bit *too* slavishly (which I don't mind because it makes me laugh). The other games where I've used a similar system, it seems like I always eventually hit a point where the animal eventually wanders off course or stops if you let it drive itself for too long.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
RDR2's auto-horse-travel cinematic cam is really funny because it doesn't disrupt the auto-horsing unless you hit a button on the controller no matter what, even if something important happens on the way. I let the game autopilot me to a collectible spot once while I got up to make a sandwich, and when I heard shooting I poked my head back in to see Arthur and Horse barreling through a wooden bridge surrounded by like 10 guys who expected him to stop so they could try and rob him in a scripted event.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Cythereal posted:

This mfer bragging about doing a cow genocide.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ilmucche posted:

I have never had a problem killing Sif,aybe I'm a monster.

My pyro buddy though, I was sad when he went hollow :(

if you don't have problems killing sif and mothra you are the hollow

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

buddhist nudist posted:

This mfer bragging about doing a cow genocide.
Trying to think of just how you get rid of a ranchful of cows on a space station when the reason you're doing it is you've just passed the initiative saying you're no longer eating them. None of it's looking anything but grim. I guess they live there now

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Trying to think of just how you get rid of a ranchful of cows on a space station when the reason you're doing it is you've just passed the initiative saying you're no longer eating them. None of it's looking anything but grim. I guess they live there now

Orbital Drop to a nice farm upstate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

My Lovely Horse posted:

You’ve also eliminated the farms that made food for the cows. So the problem will resolve itself in a month or so, but it wouldn’t really be line with Animal Rights.