Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Taear posted:

That it was only things from the US. More specifically HBO things.

That's hardly a gimmick. Anyway, they're launching a new comedy channel next week, not sure why Avenue 5 isn't on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Funny how it's always the right of wealthy white men to spout racism and misogyny that the fake free speech brigade is up in arms about. The rights of people who say they'll boycott places that promote racist dickheads needs to be suppressed at all costs, for freedom.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Dell_Zincht posted:

Wife and I marathon-ed the whole second series of Sex Education last night.

Even better than the first series. More please!

:yeah: It's so good, one of the best Netflix originals by far. Felt like the second season ended too soon, just wanted more!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Aphex- posted:

:yeah: It's so good, one of the best Netflix originals by far. Felt like the second season ended too soon, just wanted more!

+1

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I thought it wasn't as good as the first series but I still really enjoyed it

The setting is so weird, the school seems ripped straight out of an American teen movie but is also extremely British

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mickolution posted:

That's hardly a gimmick. Anyway, they're launching a new comedy channel next week, not sure why Avenue 5 isn't on there.

It absolutely is a gimmick?
The comedy one is more for older stuff, at least it seems so far.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Taear posted:

It absolutely is a gimmick?
The comedy one is more for older stuff, at least it seems so far.

What's gimmicky about it?

Do you think Sky Sports is a gimmick because it just shows sport?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Mickolution posted:

What's gimmicky about it?

Do you think Sky Sports is a gimmick because it just shows sport?

This is a weird hill to die on. Sky Atlantic, as a channel, was absolutely established to show HBO things.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Of course it was. I just don't know how that's a gimmick.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Paperhouse posted:

I thought it wasn't as good as the first series but I still really enjoyed it

The setting is so weird, the school seems ripped straight out of an American teen movie but is also extremely British

It's also quite clearly set in the present day but the aesthetic is anything from the late 70s to the late 90s. The Groff house looks like the house I grew up in as a kid.

The End of The F***ing World was the same, it seems to be quite a popular stylistic choice these days.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Mickolution posted:

Of course it was. I just don't know how that's a gimmick.

Gimmick as in schtick, brand, routine, unique selling point.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

marktheando posted:

Gimmick to me has more of a negative meaning, which doesn't apply here. Anyway, doesn't really matter. I was replying to a post saying they had given up on it, which they haven't.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
By 'abandoned the gimmick' they were simply refering to the fact that a new HBO show is being shown on Sky 1 rather than on Sky Atlantic the specific channel they made for showing american HBO shows.

Thats it.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
A gimmick is something that doesn’t add anything to the original idea but is there to just pull people in, in my understanding.

So, sky sports isn’t a gimmick, but that thing on a Saturday where you watch people watching football, if they were naked that’d be a gimmick.

I am very smart.

Also the style of Bad Education was a purposeful choice apparently. I saw Gillian Anderson talk about it in an interview somewhere. I guess it’s more relatable.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Sex*

Bad was the one with Jack Whitehall

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

thehustler posted:

So, sky sports isn’t a gimmick, but that thing on a Saturday where you watch people watching football, if they were naked that’d be a gimmick.

If only L!VE TV was still on the air.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

marktheando posted:

Yes this.
We put HBO stuff on a few channels now and I think Fortitude was on Atlantic even though we did that ourselves.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's pottery throwdown day. Countdown to Keith crying...

I really miss Sara Cox. This series feels a tad slicker than the last one and it's the worse for it.

Red Oktober posted:

All of Giri/Haji is up on iPlayer now so you should watch that instead. Absolutely stellar performance by Will Sharpe, and it’s great seeing Kelly Macdonald as a nerdy cop.

When I read the script for the last episode I really wasn't sure the interpretive dance thing would work, but it was actually Very Brilliant and good. I enjoyed the absurd brutal windscape of the beach scenes, a scene you would realistically schedule at either point in the two summers we had filming the show, instead of October, but that's television for you

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Dell_Zincht posted:

It's also quite clearly set in the present day but the aesthetic is anything from the late 70s to the late 90s. The Groff house looks like the house I grew up in as a kid.

The End of The F***ing World was the same, it seems to be quite a popular stylistic choice these days.

I love it. It's like I'm watching The Prisoner.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

echoplex posted:

When I read the script for the last episode I really wasn't sure the interpretive dance thing would work, but it was actually Very Brilliant and good. I enjoyed the absurd brutal windscape of the beach scenes, a scene you would realistically schedule at either point in the two summers we had filming the show, instead of October, but that's television for you

The final dance was interesting, I didn’t realise until well after why the three hitmen weren’t around any more.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Dammit I have two episodes left to watch of Giri/Haji and not clicking on those spoilers is really testing my willpower

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Can someone summarise why Sex Education is good, please? The trailers make it look absolutely excruciating, but everyone seems to love it.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

The Perfect Element posted:

Can someone summarise why Sex Education is good, please? The trailers make it look absolutely excruciating, but everyone seems to love it.

I'm two episodes into series 1 and it seems ok i guess? It kinda reminds me of Skins.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I think it's funny, the characters are all interesting and none of them seem one dimensional, the whole show talks about and treats sex as a completely normal and healthy thing rather than shaming anyone. It also just feels genuinely sincere which is refreshing.

Plus Gillian Anderson come on.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

The Perfect Element posted:

It's really funny, has a great soundtrack, the acting is believable and it's also pretty heartwarming in places, too.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Slash posted:

I'm two episodes into series 1 and it seems ok i guess? It kinda reminds me of Skins.

Yea it absolutely reminds me of Skins. Everyone I tried to watch it with hated it though so I've only seen 3 episodes.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
The writing is far better than in Skins, and it actually has something to say that isn't just "look how cool and messed up these teenagers are"

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Skins was a pact made with the acting gods to ensure a new generation of British actors.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Both Skins (the first four seasons, at least) and Sex Education are very good

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

The writing is far better than in Skins, and it actually has something to say that isn't just "look how cool and messed up these teenagers are"

For me the first two seasons of skins were "remember college?"
Apart from the bits where people died.

Sex education doesn't really have that feel for me because of the weird timeless/nationless setting it has.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Red Oktober posted:

The final dance was interesting, I didn’t realise until well after why the three hitmen weren’t around any more.

I watched it ages ago and can't remember, remind me?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

eating only apples posted:

I watched it ages ago and can't remember, remind me?

They get knocked over the edge of the building during the dance. It's not especially obvious (as it's not that obvious what is happening and you don't see them get thrown off), but you see them a few minutes later.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 25, 2020

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Slash posted:

Ok episode 5, that's when it starts to get good.

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

Yeah the trailers made Sex Education look really bad but I watched the first season cause this thread was talking about it and it's good. Same thing with The End of the loving World. I think maybe Netflix trailers for these kind of shows just always make them look bad?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Trailers suck. Never watch trailers.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

Yeah the trailers made Sex Education look really bad but I watched the first season cause this thread was talking about it and it's good. Same thing with The End of the loving World. I think maybe Netflix trailers for these kind of shows just always make them look bad?

I put off watching TEOTFW for ages because I loved the comic book and hated the trailer.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I know that it's twee, I know that it's literally a pantomime, but the Goes Wrong Show is the best drat thing on TV.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m looking forward and sitting down and watching those. They’re touring the stage show here in the US and my in-laws went to see it, and haaaaaaated it haha. I can’t say I’m surprised though.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Taear posted:

For me the first two seasons of skins were "remember college?"
Apart from the bits where people died.

Sex education doesn't really have that feel for me because of the weird timeless/nationless setting it has.

I have this uneasy feeling during Sex Education that all the pupils will be trapped in this strange school forever, no matter how old they get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Thanks for your comments guys. I shall give it a go!