Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Again, I'm quite certain he already felt love, this is just a new dimension to intimacy for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Gonna be devils advocate here but I can see where that guys coming from. The truth is that this comic has been leaning more and more into one about relationships and romance than about kickass murderghosts fighting grim reapers with teleporting fencers wielding a blade forged from gods tooth. Even Kat admits as much at the start of this chapter.

And maybe thats ok. But if you've been reading for a long time you might feel baited and switched.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

welcome to post-pubescence

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The comic leans a lot of ways, and it's a very slow burner. If you read back through this in the archives it'll be a few pages that you'll flash by. Everything seems like the comic is shining a drastic bright light on it when you get 3 pages worth a week and follow it up by endless discussion with goons. But that's not really on the comic's end, that's all you.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I mean, just before Tony arrived we learnt that the Court grows mindless children in metal vats. A little tonal shift the other way wasn't entirely uncalled for.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I personally do not enjoy the romantic parts of GC much. I don't dislike the comic for them, but they aren't what I'm reading it for.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

YF-23 posted:

I personally do not enjoy the romantic parts of GC much. I don't dislike the comic for them, but they aren't what I'm reading it for.

I read Gunnerkrigg for the robot renaissance.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Splicer posted:

It's one poster getting extremely angry over the concept of emotions and another poster just being confused by them.

But what even is love if we can't quantify it? This panel just looks like 2 pals hanging out to me. Very confusing stuff. Perhaps it is a metaphor for the Court? We can only wonder.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 30, 2015

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

EmmyOk posted:

But what even is love if we can't quantify it? This panel just looks like 2 pals hanging out to me. Very confusing stuff. Perhaps it is a metaphor for the Court? We can only wonder.

And the first place prize of the most autistic (hopefully sarcastic) post in this thread goes to...

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Emotion makes me uncomfortable Tea San I demand you cease these microaggressions at once.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

And the first place prize of the most autistic (hopefully sarcastic) post in this thread goes to...

I only make sincere and genuine posts in the Gunnerkigg Court Webcomics forum thread. People are just jealous of excellent ideas again like when I correctly predicted Tony is in fact a Great Guy™. I hope this has made it clear, namasté.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

EmmyOk posted:

But what even is love if we can't quantify it. This panel just looks like 2 pals hanging out
You are either a girl under the age of sixteen or you're at that point in the romantic comedy just before you have a really awkward conversation with your totally platonic bff for life.

Possibly both.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
how DARE a comic about a high school have relationship storylines

gunnerkrigg has always been about silly kids learning to grow up, remember just how many plot lines were from Ann throwing huge tantrums, this is nothing new unless you just started reading the comic here

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Splicer posted:

You are either a girl under the age of sixteen or you're at that point in the romantic comedy just before you have a really awkward conversation with your totally platonic bff for life.

Possibly both.

Have you been talking to that whore Melissa? She hates me for no reason! And if Ryan liked me why would he always just comfort me with flowers and chocolates when I break up with Todd for the umpteenth time? Smh...

Acne Rain posted:

how DARE a comic about a high school have relationship storylines

gunnerkrigg has always been about silly kids learning to grow up, remember just how many plot lines were from Ann throwing huge tantrums, this is nothing new unless you just started reading the comic here

I agree. We had the bird guy storyline (Alistair?) very early on for example. That said I can totally understand not being a huge fan of the romantic parts of Gunnerkrigg. However there are a lot of plotlines and story elements that have nothing romantic in them at all so I'm not sure why that guy got so upset. Romance plots rule though imho.

e: for clarity

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 30, 2015

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Demiurge4 posted:

I read Gunnerkrigg for the robot renaissance.
I think that's the "problem". There's a lot of stuff going on and at any one point the comic will be focusing on something at least some part of the readership will not really care about.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I read the comic because I want to find exactly just how old Jones is.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Awkward high school romance plots between a messianic robot and a shadow monster created by an insane god are awesome and if you can't enjoy that then I feel bad for you.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

BobTheJanitor posted:

Awkward high school romance plots between a messianic robot and a shadow monster created by an insane god are awesome and if you can't enjoy that then I feel bad for you.

^^^ How can anyone not love this?!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

whats better than this, kids bein teens

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Today's page is adorable and if you don't agree you have no soul. :colbert:

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Cat Mattress posted:

I read the comic because I want to find exactly just how old Jones is.

We covered this, she's 4.5 billion.

e: I read the comic for the art, everything inside the art is secondary. Goddamn, Tom's gotten good.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

PubicMice posted:

We covered this, she's 4.5 billion.

e: I read the comic for the art, everything inside the art is secondary. Goddamn, Tom's gotten good.

Technically, that chapter ended with Jones saying, "I don't remember anything before that," leaving the possibility she's actually even older.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Well we can come up with a whole bunch of outlandish theories, we could go with the theory that the big bang creates the universe and then contracts back into an infinite energy cube that explodes in a new bang. Jones could be from any point in that cycle and just suffers a memory wipe. But realistically (and I say this lightly in the GC universe) she has human form and therefore is probably tied in some way with how humans affect the ether and is a result of wet fan fiction in which a goony nerd dreamt up a woman "from before time."

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Kantesu posted:

Technically, that chapter ended with Jones saying, "I don't remember anything before that," leaving the possibility she's actually even older.

What is the age of a mind other than the beginning of memory?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Maybe the civilisation which believes in Jones does not exist yet

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

What if Jones is a robot deity?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

The civilization that believed Jones into existence is every secular philosopher before Nietzsche.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Demiurge4 posted:

Well we can come up with a whole bunch of outlandish theories, we could go with the theory that the big bang creates the universe and then contracts back into an infinite energy cube that explodes in a new bang. Jones could be from any point in that cycle and just suffers a memory wipe.
Jones is not a reboot.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Tupperwarez posted:

RULES OF ROMANCE!
And he picks a nice restaurant
Then he orders some wine (RED WIIIIIINE)
Chat a while (SMALL TAAAALK)
Flashes that hundred-watt smile

I want you to know that this makes this thread worth reading

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tbh the thread peaked with the some guy post by Splicer and I still don't know how to accept that we'll never have that again.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Potato Salad posted:

Nobody had any trouble when robot was going full bloodrage Raiden a few panels back. Why is this current emotion so hard to handle?

Love makes this thread act in strange ways.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Demiurge4 posted:

Jones could be from any point in that cycle and just suffers a memory wipe. But realistically (and I say this lightly in the GC universe) she has human form and therefore is probably tied in some way with how humans affect the ether and is a result of wet fan fiction in which a goony nerd dreamt up a woman "from before time."

Coyote seems to think he's the manifestation of humanity's fear of nature and death. I wonder if Jones is a manifestation of the forest creatures' fears of mankind's... tendency to observe nature? I wonder if the fact that humanity is into science and changing the world freaks them out. Jones is an indestructable watcher and an appropriately unstoppable force.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Jones is a manifestation of humanity's love for hot blonde hard bodied babes

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That actually makes a lot more sense.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

That's not how the ether works!

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
She's more of a Gaia analogue than anything else, with ambiguous ethnicity because I guess that's what happens when all of humanity personifies the Earth.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I'd assumed she was a play on the Wandering Jew character.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
There are elements of that, but couldn't you say that about any story about a wandering immortal?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

At the end of this she'll be sent back in time to the start. As an immortal not subject to entropy, the only obstacle would be her memories, so they gotta go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
Hey, quit peeping, you jerk!