Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I would use the Thai basil and the mint to make an enormous amount of summer rolls (aka rice paper rolls)

And there are people that would use the mint to make hipster mint tea, but I wouldn't do that myself, because I think that tastes like hot mouthwash..but it might be your thing?

oregano goes great with pizza, so I see loads of pizza's in your future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

Is it like top round? Cut into a steak, marinate it in some soy sauce, Italian dressing, and Wostershire sauce, for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight. Throw steak on a hot grill and cook till medium rare 155°f. Remove from grill and let rest for 20 minutes. Slice thin against the grain, serve with green beans. Bam, you got a London Broil.

I thought beef medium rare was 130. Is it different for the tougher cuts?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

snyprmag posted:

I thought beef medium rare was 130. Is it different for the tougher cuts?

yeah, 130 is more like mid rare, 155 is mid well, nearly well done territory.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

My Lovely Horse posted:

dominic you rat

I have some udon noodles, tofu and spring onions in my fridge, what's a good way to make them into something tasty (am willing to add other ingredients, for clarity's sake)?
Add sesame oil and sesame seeds (and salt obviously). Want more stuff? Add soy sauce. Want even more? Hot pepper flakes and/or garlic. Cook the noodles, add the tofu and spring onions and other ingredients, and serve cold. Or, cook the noodles, fry up the tofu, then stir fry the noodles + tofu + spring onions + garlic and hot pepper flakes if using, then add the sesame oil, sesame seeds, and soy sauce if using, and serve hot. Add any vegetables you want to the stir fry.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

GrAviTy84 posted:

yeah, 130 is more like mid rare, 155 is mid well, nearly well done territory.

Fixed that, sorry, brain fart. I've got no memory for numbers and keep a reference sheet of cooking temps on the fridge for just such a reason. Hopefully i've not made you go and ruin your beef!

However, if you are going to accidentally over-cook a steak, a London Broil's hard to gently caress up completely what with all the marinade.

London Broil's the steak I grew up eating, because we lived in a fairly Jewish area and briskets went on sale quite regularly. It's a meal that just holds memories of bright sunny summer evenings, the whole family tucking in to a nice piece of meat sliced up to share, out on the patio under the shade tree. It was always special. And it's still my favorite kind of steak, y'all can keep your strips, rib-eyes and tenderloins. It's the round for me!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 30, 2017

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

dominic you rat

I have some udon noodles, tofu and spring onions in my fridge, what's a good way to make them into something tasty (am willing to add other ingredients, for clarity's sake)?

What kind of tofu?

If it's soft, then cubed and added to a soup base would be good.

If it's firmer, then frying first could be good.

Then with some dashi? Apparently this is called "kitsune udon".

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Wife and I were in Hawaii last week and want to try our hand at making some real-rear end poke. Any advice?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Hard to go wrong with seriouseats recipes- Kenji really knows his stuff: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/06/ahi-poke-hawaiian-raw-tuna-salad-recipe.html

Article on poke:http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/06/ahi-poke-hawaiian-raw-tuna-salad-recipe.html

If you feel like doing a vegetarian version, baked watermelon makes a surprisingly good substitute for raw tuna: http://olivesfordinner.com/2016/04/watermelon-tuna-poke-bowl.html

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Pork goes well with raspberries, as does lamb. Pork tenderloin is always good, for lamb I usually go with the leg but chops would work too.

Leg cut into chops is my favorite combo. Often called leg steaks here.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

CrazySalamander posted:

Hard to go wrong with seriouseats recipes- Kenji really knows his stuff: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/06/ahi-poke-hawaiian-raw-tuna-salad-recipe.html

Article on poke:http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/06/ahi-poke-hawaiian-raw-tuna-salad-recipe.html

If you feel like doing a vegetarian version, baked watermelon makes a surprisingly good substitute for raw tuna: http://olivesfordinner.com/2016/04/watermelon-tuna-poke-bowl.html

My wife's favorite food group is raw fish so we're going for the real deal. Thanks, also you linked the same article twice :ssh:

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Can one of you please suggest a nice beef chunk for pot au feu? In the past I used gristly hindshank bones and cheap blade steaks, but I think something is lacking. Would any tough roast do, and would throwing some sort of collageny bone thing be a good thing to continue adding on top?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
This is less a question and just more of a pointer/rant

I just got through trying one of the many home delivery make-at-home meal services, Home Chef to be precise. It was a gift from a family member who knows that I like to cook and it was very generous of them.

I won't go making GBS threads on all of these services as this is the only one that I've tried, but my advice is to avoid this one.

I will preface this by saying that if you are an inexperienced cook, these are probably geared more towards you than someone who has been cooking for a while. These recipes are something that you could probably cook once and learn their steps, and then redo yourself for a fraction of the cost. I will also say that what worked in these two recipes, ended up very tasty. However, the quality of the veg in the boxes left a lot to be desired.

First meal was Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breast. Simple recipe, and again the end result turned out fine. But the "fresh" basil they included was the consistency of algae when I opened the box. At most, it had been sitting in a box on my porch for 4 hours, so I think it was probably bad to begin with. Thankfully, the basil was just being used in the salad dressing, and I could substitute dry without much trouble. Fine. The grape tomatoes were surprisingly ripe and the salad greens were great.

Second meal was a Chimichurri Steak with Potato Wedges. Again, the meat was very nice, though the portions could have been a little more equally sized for more even cooking, but whatever. I also could have pounded them a little more even. But one of the first steps is to cut the potatoes in half and then into wedges. After that first slice though, both potatoes full of ugly black spots all over the inside. That's not a small thing in this recipe, that's the side. Again, I have my own items to sub in, but what the hell am I paying for if not top quality ingredients.

Also, I found it kind of funny in a WTF kind of way that a lot of the ingredients were in the exact same single serving pouches you get in a cafeteria. Like the mustard for the chicken was three separate Hellman's packs. Now that makes sense because you use one for the salad and one each for the chicken breast, so OK. But the single packet of red pepper flakes like they swiped it from an Italian take out place just kind of added a fly-by-night feel to the whole presentation. Then the liquid ingredients were in travel shampoo bottles and any other dry ingredients were in dime bags. It was just weird, though it makes an odd sense

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The food delivered to make at home meal service thing is 'hot' right now with lots of companies getting in on the fad. There are sure to be a few lovely ones that will eventually die off whilst the better ones continue on.

They're great for beginners wanting to learn to cook, or OK home cooks that want to expand their repertoire, but beyond that I wouldn't really recommend them to anyone proficient in the kitchen.

The basil thing is icky but not sure how they could know if the potato was bad inside or not. Did it look bad on the outside?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What's the right cut of beef to make beef stew out of? My old attempts at beef stew involved round roast, carrots, celery, stock, and some red wine in a slow cooker - it never came out particularly great, but that was before I learned to sear my meat. I remember that anything that does more work and is closer to the legs is the best to cook slowly - is there a better cut I should use?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I use chuck.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

C-Euro posted:

Wife and I... want to try our hand at... real-rear end poke. Any advice?

Lots of lube...

Sorry. I have never had poke myself nor made it but from seeing it on shows and such I want to. Maybe someday I will get to Hawaii and try it.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
You don't need to go to Hawaii to get your first poke. You only have to go as far as downtown.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

there really is no mysterious secret to poke. soy sauce, sesame oil, touch of sugar (not really necessary but I like to round out the saltiness with a pinch).

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I like some ginger in there too sometimes, or just ponzu in addition to the soy sauce. Pineapple is good with sweeter or more buttery fish like mackerel. Go crazy. Don't forget the seaweed (or kelp or whatever).

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I got some curly kale in my CSA this week, and I hate kale. Got any suggestions on what I can do with it? Full disclosure, I also don't eat beans, so white bean soup is a no-go...

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I like doing baked pasta with sausage, kale, tomato sauce and lots of mozzarella. Not very kale forward.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

the_chavi posted:

I got some curly kale in my CSA this week, and I hate kale. Got any suggestions on what I can do with it? Full disclosure, I also don't eat beans, so white bean soup is a no-go...
Kimchi.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

the_chavi posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3682046&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

e: if you don't have archives,

GrAviTy84 posted:

It's getting colder! Let's make soup! I've been making soups every week to take into work as lunches and thought maybe a good way to spark some discussion in GWS is to make an approachable weekly thread and why the hell not soups?! I've been using this thing to pack to work: http://www.amazon.com/Sistema-656-ml-Soup-Mug/dp/B005D6Y1OM

works great, liquid tight, handle is nice so you don't burn yourself. I also have the noodle bowl version which works great for rice bowls and pasta but that's another thread.

This week I made zuppa toscana. Despite being an actual thing with beans and stuff, most of us are more familiar with Olive Garden's version which is almost nothing like the zuppa autentico. Regardless, it's probably the only thing the lovely Darden managed restaurant franchise has done well. It's super tasty and hella easy.

1 lb italian sausage, uncased is fine as you are going to uncase it to crumble anyway. I like spicy, but I think the classic is mild.
3 strips of bacon, diced
1 medium onion, minced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
4 russet potatoes, sliced into coins
6 cups of chicken broth or water
1 half pint of cream
a shitton of kale (my favorite part), ribs removed and torn into bite size pieces
1/2 tsp fennel seed, crushed in mortar and pestle (optional, but I like an assertive fennel flavor in mine)
parmiggiano to taste
salt and pepper to taste

brown bacon in a large pot until crisp, reserve and drain all but a bit of bacon grease then add and sausage. brown and break up chunks until it is small crumbled bits. Add onion and lower heat, sweat until translucent, add garlic and fennel and saute until fragrant. Return the bacon and add chicken broth and potatoes. Simmer until potatoes start to crumble. Add cream. Taste for salt (you'll probably need a lot) If serving immediately add kale. I like to add my kale raw to my microwave cup and let the reheating cook the kale. You can sub spinach if you prefer a more tender green. Top with parm.

I like a bit more hearty of a soup so I make a roux out of some of the bacon drippings and add to the soup to thicken.

RE: soup of the week. I don't really care to run this idea solo, if you have a favorite soup, share it! Just interested in getting more life back into this subforum.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Thanks! I don't have archives so this is helpful.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah i saved grav's soup recipe to my evernote a few years ago and it will always remain there

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Anyone got a go-to chicken and potato coconut curry recipe?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Anyone have a good simple go to recipe for soy pickled eggs? Lots of the recipes online seem overly complicated. I'm tempted to just try picking in soy and nothing else...

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Recipe Request for some homemade beef jerky. Is a great product doable on a small scale?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I tried making tofu (got a crazy soy milk maker and 5 gallons of dried beans for like $40 so why not) and it ended up being sort of an odd curd. I'm wondering if I over coagulated?
I had roughly two cups of soy milk and added 0.5tsp of food grade gypsum in a tablespoon or two of water after bringing the milk to a quick peak temp of about 180. After 25 minutes I had very little curd separation and added another quarter tsp of gypsum. Half hour later, still nothing, so I tried adding more heat to the equation. This was the ticket and the curds broke out, but the end result was much more like cottage cheese than silken tofu. Still really tasty but I had the impression that both nigari and gypsum were supposed to end up producing something more cohesive.

I also didn't explicitly press, as I was using the okara filter from the soy milk maker. I was looking for relatively soft, but I can rig up pressure if needed for a solid result.

Any of y'all able to troubleshoot tofu?

I might back off to 1/4 tsp gypsum for the next batch to see if I can get more cohesive curd. Luckily soybeans are cheap so...

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I like turtles posted:

I tried making tofu (got a crazy soy milk maker and 5 gallons of dried beans for like $40 so why not) and it ended up being sort of an odd curd. I'm wondering if I over coagulated?
I had roughly two cups of soy milk and added 0.5tsp of food grade gypsum in a tablespoon or two of water after bringing the milk to a quick peak temp of about 180. After 25 minutes I had very little curd separation and added another quarter tsp of gypsum. Half hour later, still nothing, so I tried adding more heat to the equation. This was the ticket and the curds broke out, but the end result was much more like cottage cheese than silken tofu. Still really tasty but I had the impression that both nigari and gypsum were supposed to end up producing something more cohesive.

I also didn't explicitly press, as I was using the okara filter from the soy milk maker. I was looking for relatively soft, but I can rig up pressure if needed for a solid result.

Any of y'all able to troubleshoot tofu?

I might back off to 1/4 tsp gypsum for the next batch to see if I can get more cohesive curd. Luckily soybeans are cheap so...

I'm no tofu expert (having never made it before...), but in my reading I think gypsum and nigari can produce different tofu qualities. I think you should look up which one is best for making silken tofu.

I think if they separated out into distinct curds then all you can do at that point is press it to make firmer types. Medium firm/firm/extra firm types are made by pressing out the whey and forming a brick from the separated curds. There are special tofu presses that are basically wooden containers that have a top. From what I've read, silken tofu is a bit difficult to make since you have to get just the right temps/curdling agents/soy milk strength for it to set up without breaking.

Edit: Ok, so gypsum is definitely the right one for silken tofu. You may just want to be gentler on the heat and tweak the coagulant amount to get it just right. Apparently gypsum is slower than nigari as well, so maybe a bit of patience can help! This recipe seems like they've thought through the process so maybe try steaming it in ramekins? https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/silken-tofu

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 3, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

We picked up the CSA bundle for some friends who are out of town for a few weeks and it has beets in it. I've never cooked beet anything. Anyone have any good beet recipes? I've found a couple of beet lemonade recipes floating around the internet that I might try.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Imo the easiest way to make straight-up beets is to do a large dice and then steam them, and then once they cool, the skins will slip off with a paper towel. Raw beet juice also stains less, another reason it's convenient to dice them beforehand.

They're also good roasted, but you have to peel them before roasting (or just scrub the skin and eat it).

I really love straight-up beets with just a little butter and salt, but there are a ton of other uses. If you haven't had beets before, I would try something more traditional before going for beet lemonade.

e: it just occurred to me since it's a CSA, you might have extra-interesting beets! Yellow beets taste slightly different from red, and imo should be cooked separately since you don't want them to take on the color or the taste. They can get a little grayish when cooked, which is normal. Chioggia look so impressive when you cut into them, but they'll blur when cooked, so if you want to show off, try a raw application.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 3, 2017

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

LLSix posted:

We picked up the CSA bundle for some friends who are out of town for a few weeks and it has beets in it. I've never cooked beet anything. Anyone have any good beet recipes? I've found a couple of beet lemonade recipes floating around the internet that I might try.

Beet curry is fantastic.

heat butter till it clarifies, pop some cumin seeds, a whole cardamom pod, and mustard seeds in it, after a while add some ground fenugreek but dont let it sit in the hot fat too long, ground spices burn fast. Add minced garlic, ginger, chiles to taste, and onions. Saute until translucent. Add peeled, cubed beets, a heavy pinch of salt, and enough water to cover. bring to a boil and simmer until beets are tender. Salt to taste.

Borscht is also good. I like pureed versions, myself http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/01/09/best_beet_soup_a_smooth_lemony_recipe_for_people_who_love_beetroot.html
given that it's summer, this can be served cold, as well (may need an extra hit of salt than when served hot)

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 3, 2017

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I've been having a hankering for saag, and while Kenji's vegan saag "paneer" sounds like a fun gimmick to try at some point, I'd like to have a plain old saag gosht, with lamb or maybe chicken thighs. Is there a goon recommended saag recipe, preferably on the creamier side?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Need some help figuring out beef stew meat in a pressure cooker. I have some frozen beef stew meat and need to cook it for dinner to eat in about 4-5 hours. The idea is to use up the green salsa I have left over from Kenji's carnitas, and make beef in salsa verde.

Right now I have the meat thawing in a zip-lock bag submerged in water. I'm a pressure cooker neophyte, but I know that's my best choice to get it ready in time. I'm thinking of searing the meat in the pressure cooker, add some onions, water or broth, <cook in pressure cooker>, and then add the salsa verde when it's cooked. First question is whether I should rather cook the beef in the pressure cooker already with the salsa verde? I feel if it was a slow cooker the salsa verde would go in at first, but I'm not sure how it would end up being pressure cooked.

Second question, for <cooking in pressure cooker>, once I lock the lid on, I'll leave the pressure cooker on medium heat until the valve starts whistling and then do I turn it off and wait? Or do I put it on low heat and wait? And how long would it then take to have edible meat?

For extra detail, I made the carnitas for a potluck on Saturday, this is what my item looked like:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Consult your manual or Google for cooking time. Stew meat is ambiguous and surface area matters.

You'll bring it to pressure on medium and then turn it to low to maintain. You will​ be able to dial it in so there's no further adjustment needed. Salsa after is fine, the meat will release liquids as it Cooks.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Consult your manual or Google for cooking time. Stew meat is ambiguous and surface area matters.
You're right, it's 1.5 inch chunks of meat. Googling around I've found around 30 to 45 min should be good enough.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You'll bring it to pressure on medium and then turn it to low to maintain. You will be able to dial it in so there's no further adjustment needed. Salsa after is fine, the meat will release liquids as it Cooks.
It's a stove-top pressure cooker though, so no dialing in. I'll do medium to pressure, then low for ~40 minutes.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have some ancient (7 year old) vanilla beans that are completely dried out, stored in a plastic bag all these years. Is there anything I can use these for, or just not bother?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Split them and throw them in a jar with sugar, get vanilla sugar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Or split them and add to alcohol.