Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Malek posted:

... in anticipation or direct reaction?

gently caress.

E/N incoming but gently caress it.

Nah, I'm just done with this. It was one thing when the station would poo poo all over my ideas, at least there I was able to think outside the box to craft a solution to whatever problem arose. Here, I'm given a board with square holes and then told we can't afford any pegs, so I work myself to death coming up with square peg alternatives that are cheap or free and I get publicly humiliated for not getting round pegs.

I was just publicly shamed by my boss (as in, in front of an auditorium with every employee) because I have not yet had the security card system installed and operational, when the last thing we ever discussed about it was that we didn't have the money to pursue the project and not to worry about it. I'm just tired of all of it. They don't pay me a quarter of what I deserve to be making for doing this job. If you consider the cost of the therapy and medication I've begun taking to deal with the stress and anxiety this job has put on me, I'm I'm only making about $1000 a year more than I did at the television station. And even if I was making $200k a year, the fact that I'm having to seek mental and emotional therapy is just loving stupid. No job is worth this.

On top of everything else I'm dealing with, the inventory manager got in a wreck over the weekend where her friend died, so now I have to do her job for the rest of the semester. I'm not heartless and it loving sucks for her, but shes coming back Friday. I asked what she would be doing the rest of the semester and the response was "healing and praying."

I put forth an approval request to set up a sign-up portal for the emergency contact robo-caller so the parents could just go opt-in on the website and put their own info in and have the information purged automatically at the end of the year, completely automating the process and freeing up a ton of time for me to deal with other stuff. Director says no, that's one more things parents will have to deal with and they already deal with enough. You dumb motherfucker if you had to sit here and input 700 contacts every loving year you'd be all about this poo poo.

I just ordered a bunch of Chromebooks for low-income students from a vendor who has been a huge help to me and managed to quote 4GB models for cheaper than every other vendor was quoting 2GB models. Turns out they aren't on state contract so I have to send them back and pay out the rear end in a top hat to our usual vendor I've been trying my hardest to get away from because they suck.

It's just... none of this poo poo is worth it. I'd rather work two retail jobs than deal with this for another minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Renegret posted:

I use Firefox at work because some of my tools only work on Firefox.

I also use Chrome at work, because some of my tools only work on Chrome.

...I also use Internet Explorer at work, because some of my tools only work in IE.

Surprise, they're all internally developed Java web apps!

Ugh.. similar situation..

Firefox for one internal management console that requires a stupid Java applet.

Internet Explorer for one website in IE7 compatibility view mode. (Verifone's Payware Connect credit card processing console, yeah... a "secure" website handling credit cards requires IE7, and it doesn't even use any ActiveX..)

Chrome for everything else.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Nice, working a data entry job and getting therapy for it! Totally worth it!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

larchesdanrew posted:

E/N incoming but gently caress it.

That all sounds pretty normal for working at a school. It sucks but government work has odd rules about who they can buy from. It's a race to the top and your boss will always throw you under the bus rather than take the blame.

You deserve better you really do. I worked in government / school and boss always making GBS threads on you ready to throw you under the bus is not fun, I'm sure there are places it doesn't happen in that sector.

Find something, but if you don't stop taking work so personally. Let it slide, "oh well apparently it's my fault he can't get the budget together to fix the card reader, at least I know it's his fault". I don't think anyone in IT is immune to someone else playing the blame game, be it boss, co-worker, subordinate, or vendor. Someone is always going to try and not be the cause of a lack of technology.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Renegret posted:

I use Firefox at work because some of my tools only work on Firefox.

I also use Chrome at work, because some of my tools only work on Chrome.

...I also use Internet Explorer at work, because some of my tools only work in IE.

Surprise, they're all internally developed Java web apps!

Exactly this, although its more for the loving dogs dinner of web interface incompatibilities. I've got everyone on Chrome since it's extremely manageable via group policy, when duty calls they get Firefox, Internet Explorer is anyone's game.

I've also been poking around Hubspot for its functionality (person who was lumped with it left, its sorta on me to get it fit) since our sales team will be moving on it and found one important thing missing; you cannot make any fields required/mandatory of any kind. I even asked their support who basically confirmed this and recommended submitting a feature request... loving hell dude this is basic poo poo how does anyone justify giving these guys money.

Go live is in two weeks :v:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larchesdanrew posted:

if you had to sit here and input 700 contacts every loving year

What form do these contacts come in? Is this an automatable task?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It sounds like voice, as in they call in and leave a message or call in he picks up and has to do it with them on the phone.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If someone at work asks me what I'm doing from here on in I will answer "healing and praying."

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

pixaal posted:

It sounds like voice, as in they call in and leave a message or call in he picks up and has to do it with them on the phone.

Jesus christ.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Not really. The data I pull from our student inventory system is so different than the accepted format of the robocaller import that I spend most of that time just doctoring the csv files.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larchesdanrew posted:

Not really. The data I pull from our student inventory system is so different than the accepted format of the robocaller import that I spend most of that time just doctoring the csv files.

Well, let's get it there.

Can you post some dummy data in the powershell thread?

Just let me know what your input looks like and what your output needs to look like and I'll treat it like a puzzle.

INPUT --> POWERSHELL MAGIC --> OUTPUT

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

larchesdanrew posted:

I was just publicly shamed by my boss (as in, in front of an auditorium with every employee) because I have not yet had the security card system installed and operational, when the last thing we ever discussed about it was that we didn't have the money to pursue the project and not to worry about it.

"Does this mean you will finally approve the budget for this project, then?"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If it was me, I'd be tempted to send an email along these lines:

TO: BOSS, ALL STAFF
Subj: Re: Funding denied
Body: Boss, I just wanted to follow up on this expense that you denied. It came up at the meeting yesterday as a high priority item, wanted to get this project rolling again.

Subj: Please Disregard Re: Funding Denied
Body: Sorry all, please disregard the previous email. It was intended to be read by BOSS only. It concerns a private discussion between me and the Boss regarding funding for projects. Thanks.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Just let me know what your input looks like and what your output needs to look like and I'll treat it like a puzzle.

When I first started learning Powershell at my previous job, everything started looking like a CSV-shaped nail.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

$30 is more like 10-15 minutes.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's going to depend on the state and the lawyer. You might even get a freebie for the first 15-30 minutes.

In actual lawyer dollars, yeah, but most county bar associations give 30 minutes either free or at very reduced rates. Depends on the county - I've dealt with two counties in northern NJ and once in Manhattan, and the Manhattan one was the only one to charge me anything, and that was just $30 for around 20 minutes. He was totally open to going on to the full 30, even asking if I had any non-field related questions (I forget the reason I'd reached out, but it was something job-related) that he might answer, and told me not to rush on paying him.

I think it's just some kind of standing requirement for lawyers to be open to this kind of thing. It's a nice textbook fallback: "I am not a lawyer but here's a cheap/free way to talk to one if you need it" to any legal question.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Doing this. I'd like to see how one could use Powershell to intelligently standardized, say, phone numbers that are written in a wide variety of different ways.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

larchesdanrew posted:

Doing this. I'd like to see how one could use Powershell to intelligently standardized, say, phone numbers that are written in a wide variety of different ways.

There's only so much you can do without validation at the time of input, but the easiest thing is to simply strip out any characters that are not numbers.

That won't fix anything where they put in the wrong number of numbers, but it'll probably get you 80% of the way there.

I guarantee you that you could find half a dozen posts about this very topic on stack exchange.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If it was me, I'd be tempted to send an email along these lines:

Subj: Re: Funding denied
Body: Boss, I just wanted to follow up on this expense that you denied. It came up at the meeting yesterday as a high priority item, wanted to get this project rolling again.

Subj: Please Disregard Re: Funding Denied
Body: Sorry all, please disregard the previous email. It was intended to be read by BOSS only. It concerns a private discussion between me and the Boss regarding funding for projects. Thanks.

Do this, but don't include the all or the second message. It reminds them that they denied it and that you remembered. Doing it publicly is just going to get Larch fired and unhireable in his area which has limited jobs.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

pixaal posted:

Do this, but don't include the all or the second message. It reminds them that they denied it and that you remembered. Doing it publicly is just going to get Larch fired and unhireable in his area which has limited jobs.

I've already filled out the requisition form and placed it in his hands. If it gets denied this time, he's got the vendor and price and can kick that project off anytime he drat well pleases. I've got Chromebooks to return.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

pixaal posted:

Well, that's why I said "Tempted"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I can't fathom how many hours in my career I've spent massaging data, either pre or post export, always because there were no standards.

A long time ago I worked at a place that had about 13,000 members in their terrible Frankenstein FileMaker database and I had an opportunity to bring order to chaos. There was no data validation. None. No proper serializing of records or usage of key fields. It was a horrid mess that made exporting data an exercise in madness.

It took about three years to completely scrub the existing member data and then lock it down with validation. Doing this meant all data exports were now standardized and would never need scrubbing prior to use, either internally or with external vendors and entities. The staff members that were prone to creating their own abbreviations for states and countries were upset. After all using AS for Arkansas had worked fine in the years before I came on the scene!

This was about 15 years ago and I still think of Canada as "Cananda" due to seeing it spelled that way so many times in that goddamn database.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

I can't fathom how many hours in my career I've spent massaging data.

I honestly don't mind this at all. I'm used to doing this kind of work and it's nice to zone out with some music and just mindlessly format or input data.

If that was my only job. I don't know why they never trained previous IT guys how to deal with data exporting/importing.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A spam email came in (Fw: Spammer's pissed):

quote:

Hello user, spammer here. Got really irritated over the Holiday catching up on some emails. They were articles and e-blasts teaching search owners to "adjust to Millennials".

Yeah, I'm going to vent a little bit. Feel free to delete if you are a Millennial search firm owner.

Take a minute to try and visualize this:

At my [venue] recruiter training retreat, I have conducted 3 workshops per month, each 3 day workshops with an average of 12 new recruiters per session. They are locked in a log cabin with me for 8 solid hours per day and then spend the evenings with me in a pretty loose and censor-free environment. 19 years straight. That's 432 recruiters per year X 19 years. You do the math.

What have I seen? Who have I seen fail? Who did I know was going to make it and did? How many hundreds of thousands of dollars of payroll did I save owners by brutal evaluations on their rookies? How many millions of dollars of billings have I stimulated by telling owners they had an investment grade rookie and exactly what to do with them post workshop?

Owners: You do not adjust your business or core values around the communicative weakness of flawed, spoiled, socially awkward, hide-behind-keyboard, millennials. You look for and hire the ones that were raised right and were taught people skills, have bred-in work ethic and possess the exact same technical savvy as their cohorts.

In addition to running the largest and longest running recruiter training firm in North America, I also manage and work my own search firm in [state] (algorithmic developers of unmanned vehicles), [country] (international taxation) and [city] (emerging technology).

Don't tell me to adjust to Millennials. I adjust to technology and my Millennials need to be properly selected and then they must adjust to the methodologies that put them on target to produce 300-500K annual production (2 deals per month), by their 25th month on a desk.

If you want to learn how to:

-find those unique Millennials,
-pay them for "activity" not just outcome, to get them off their assets,
-test their people reading and human chameleon skills,
-give them a promotional track to stay and build their own company inside your brand,
-test them for work allergies early, in a 2 week "exposure to all" on-boarding....

Then, get your non-adjusting, I've-had-it, self to the [venue], Sunday night, Sept.18th, for two brutally honest days of my 19 years worth of observations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
For phone numbers, it shouldn't be that hard to create a regular expression to find them, unless they've got an extension listed.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

E.123, motherfuckers. Also, ISO 8601. If everyone just stuck to those two standards the world would be a much better place.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

even with a country code and everything there can't be too many once you drop all non numerics.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Mr. Wookums posted:

even with a country code and everything there can't be too many once you drop all non numerics.

Have an expectation that if it bombs write line to IdiotsWhoCantWritePhoneNumbers.log and move on. Deal with them after. There were always be a few you need to do by hand, but at least get through the 80-95% you can automate.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

pixaal posted:

Have an expectation that if it bombs write line to IdiotsWhoCantWritePhoneNumbers.log and move on. Deal with them after. There were always be a few you need to do by hand, but at least get through the 80-95% you can automate.

This is good advice. Just note somehow if a phone number doesn't fall within the regular parameters. A log file, or a separate column in the CSV, or something.

I'd probably go with the separate column so I could easily report on it and filter and stuff.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Inspector_666 posted:

When I first started learning Powershell at my previous job, everything started looking like a CSV-shaped nail.

This happened to me too, but with awk.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Some people see posts, but I just see regular expressions.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

pr0digal posted:

I think we've all had CYA e-mails that consisted of "higher up and/or client said do this with my concerns outlined". In fact I have one sitting in my starred items right now.

Hopefully I won't have to use it.

:cheers:

Same. An email from March telling a higher-up that a critical system was at-risk and outlining what I needed to be able to start picking it apart to document, with a view to being able to ensure it was easily deployable and then actually doing the deployment onto non-failing hardware. I was denied that opportunity because it wasn't directly revenue generating activity (yeah seriously that is :rolleyes: to the extreme - the same logic would determine that repairing the roof of a warehouse filled with stock isn't revenue generating so is an unnecessary expense), and in the last few days it fell over. Welp. Got that CYA email.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

I was just publicly shamed by my boss (as in, in front of an auditorium with every employee) because I have not yet had the security card system installed and operational, when the last thing we ever discussed about it was that we didn't have the money to pursue the project and not to worry about it. I'm just tired of all of it. They don't pay me a quarter of what I deserve to be making for doing this job. If you consider the cost of the therapy and medication I've begun taking to deal with the stress and anxiety this job has put on me, I'm I'm only making about $1000 a year more than I did at the television station. And even if I was making $200k a year, the fact that I'm having to seek mental and emotional therapy is just loving stupid. No job is worth this.

I have said it before and am repeating it now. You work in public education which means your workplace has a union. You need to join and get them to deal with what is workplace bullying from your superior. It will probably also stop them from loading that extra job on to you without appropriate compensation.

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

Varkk posted:

I have said it before and am repeating it now. You work in public education which means your workplace has a union. You need to join and get them to deal with what is workplace bullying from your superior. It will probably also stop them from loading that extra job on to you without appropriate compensation.

IT in public education is one of the few areas still lacking in union options. Hell, even the paraprofessionals in my district have representation, but there is nothing for the data or IT workers. Not being an educator, administrator, or laborer puts you in an odd position where you don't quite slot in to any of the existing union options unless they've specifically branched to cover you.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Varkk posted:

Yeah I'm not sure where in the US you live but I don't know of any IT unions.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

We'll start our own union, with hookers and beer.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Some states don't have Teacher Unions. :(

Edit:

I was referring to Arizona, and while we are ranked 51st in terms of Teacher Union protections, one does technically exist.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 7, 2016

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Terminal posted:

IT in public education is one of the few areas still lacking in union options. Hell, even the paraprofessionals in my district have representation, but there is nothing for the data or IT workers. Not being an educator, administrator, or laborer puts you in an odd position where you don't quite slot in to any of the existing union options unless they've specifically branched to cover you.

IT Techs in my district are members of the IBEW. So : we get union representation along with a handful of building lead custodians. They don't give a gently caress about us, but it's... something.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Jeoh posted:

Some people see posts, but I just see regular expressions.

I need to frame this in my cube.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm always surprised by the lack of automation I hear you guys talk about. Powershell is great. You should also learn ruby and/or python. You can get soo much done with those. Like for instance, call a bunch of people at once https://github.com/twilio/twilio-ruby If whatever you are doing manually has a pattern, even if the pattern only plays once, then you can automate it. Processing phone numbers should be dirt easy (after you learn the ropes). And regex's are a definate must. I use this site to prototype regexes, its super useful https://regex101.com/.

Then, after you get some experience doing that, you may get pulled out of helpdesk hell to developer heaven some day.

Inspector_666 posted:

It's the lifeblood of organizations. We just added xlsx and csv to our already existing xls import at work. We also turn the import process into a RESTful API endpoint, so tons of people are happy now.

e: this site is also useful for learning http://rubyfiddle.com/
ee: for example, heres a regex that finds characters that AREN'T digits https://regex101.com/r/gQ3bY1/1

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

KoRMaK posted:

I'm always surprised by the lack of automation I hear you guys talk about. Powershell is great. You should also learn ruby and/or python. You can get soo much done with those. Like for instance, call a bunch of people at once https://github.com/twilio/twilio-ruby If whatever you are doing manually has a pattern, even if the pattern only plays once, then you can automate it. Processing phone numbers should be dirt easy (after you learn the ropes). And regex's are a definate must. I use this site to prototype regexes, its super useful https://regex101.com/.

Then, after you get some experience doing that, you may get pulled out of helpdesk hell to developer heaven some day.

It's the lifeblood of organizations. We just added xlsx and csv to our already existing xls import at work. We also turn the import process into a RESTful API endpoint, so tons of people are happy now.

e: this site is also useful for learning http://rubyfiddle.com/

Highly recommend Python for this (only because I never bothered to learn Ruby).

I do all my automation in Python. I can rip out a lovely script that gets stuff done, and then spend time refining it before I hand it over to the ops guys. Using Anaconda I know that, except for a few edge cases, I can package up my programs to work on any platform we have (Win, Mac, UNIX/Linux). Most of my stuff is infrastructure related, so Powershell may be more use if you're touching the guts of Windows boxes. Anything else, I'd recommend Python.

And yeah, CSV for lyfe.

• Locked thread