Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Maybe we should start paying the actual prices for things.

this is the true tech nightmare buried in all of this imho. there is no avoiding the tentacles unless you unenroll in life altogether

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The last time I checked, it was impossible to buy a non-smart wall-size TV, at least at Best Buy or Costco.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Roku is a prison.

I like my roku but mainly because it's far better than the software on my TV or DVD player. Sigh.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I really, really appreciate my Roku's search-across-all-channels feature. Can't remember whether Midsomer Murders is currently on Britbox, Acorn, or Netflix? Roku search will tell me. It will also tell me when I search for a movie all the channels it is on, at what prices. Saves individual searches on Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu. (Yes, we have many special-interest channels.)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
I hate pretty much all real world examples of smart technology. It's a loving TV/toaster/fridge/light bulb, it should have completely predictable behaviour unless broken and no computer janitoring should ever be necessary to operate it. It absolutely shouldn't have nag screens and EULAs to agree to when it could just be a dumb circuit that works the second it gets connected to power.

If I ever buy a dedicated TV again instead of just watching stuff online, I will physically disconnect the wifi antenna and if the antenna is a trace on the PCB I will physically break the trace with a pocket knife.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Love to protect my privacy, by watch things online

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Are custom firmwares for smart TVs even a thing?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

suck my woke dick posted:

I hate pretty much all real world examples of smart technology. It's a loving TV/toaster/fridge/light bulb, it should have completely predictable behaviour unless broken and no computer janitoring should ever be necessary to operate it. It absolutely shouldn't have nag screens and EULAs to agree to when it could just be a dumb circuit that works the second it gets connected to power.

If I ever buy a dedicated TV again instead of just watching stuff online, I will physically disconnect the wifi antenna and if the antenna is a trace on the PCB I will physically break the trace with a pocket knife.

The good smart bulbs, like Hue, default to behaving like regular led bulbs. You can even configure that behaviour so they act like a regular bulb, but at a particular brightness/colour every time. But you don't have to. It's pretty satisfying.

The cheap ones (looking at you IKEA) take several seconds to turn on or respond to controls, which is frustrating as gently caress.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I really, really appreciate my Roku's search-across-all-channels feature. Can't remember whether Midsomer Murders is currently on Britbox, Acorn, or Netflix? Roku search will tell me. It will also tell me when I search for a movie all the channels it is on, at what prices. Saves individual searches on Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu. (Yes, we have many special-interest channels.)

I'm pretty sure it misses services on some movies, I've been able to find things streaming free that Roku thought weren't there, but it's really inconsistent.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The only smart stuff I've found a use for are thermostats. I've set it to turn down the heating at night on a schedule, and I put it to "vacation mode" when we leave home for more than a day. I use the app to take it back to normal temp a couple of hours before we arrive home.

Unfortunately the online part is shutting down soon, so I'll be left with local control only, though a janky Java-based Windows application. Perhaps I can find the spec for the protocol they use and control it by logging in to my VPN and running some scripts on a Raspberry Pi or Arduino or something. Perhaps get into embedded programming again.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I tried a smart thermostat, but it actually broke a part on my boiler - we have an old house with a 2-wire thermostat (so there's no dedicated power supply to the thermostat like you would get in a 3 or 5 wire setup). Instead of batteries, it tried to power itself by briefly cycling on the furnace to charge, which blew out a part on my boiler with the constant cycling.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

enki42 posted:

I tried a smart thermostat, but it actually broke a part on my boiler - we have an old house with a 2-wire thermostat (so there's no dedicated power supply to the thermostat like you would get in a 3 or 5 wire setup). Instead of batteries, it tried to power itself by briefly cycling on the furnace to charge, which blew out a part on my boiler with the constant cycling.

that sucks. there are definitely options out there these days though if you care that much

i find the smart thermostat to be way less useful personally than like app lights

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
I have a honeywell evohome setup which not only controls the furnace but also all individual radiators which makes it possible to set the temperature of individual rooms. It's really nice and comfortable tbh

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

suck my woke dick posted:

On my smart TV, it was impossible to pair the remote unless the TV was connected to the Internet. No, I did not know this before buying.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

On my smart TV, it was impossible to pair the remote unless the TV was connected to the Internet. No, I did not know this before buying.

The frustrating thing with Vizio is that they almost got it right in the sense that the TVs are practically just a dumb TV with a built-in stock Chromecast. If they had kept it to that instead of slapping a bit of terrible bloat on top, that would have been actually a fairly compelling proposition.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Aramis posted:

The frustrating thing with Vizio is that they almost got it right in the sense that the TVs are practically just a dumb TV with a built-in stock Chromecast. If they had kept it to that instead of slapping a bit of terrible bloat on top, that would have been actually a fairly compelling proposition.

They really fuckin went for it, but it turns out a ton of people just don't want a pure-casting TV, they want a thing that shows them a menu when it turns on. As a Shield haver, I honestly don't blame them. Cast can be finnicky and I dont want to always have to gently caress with my phone to pick something to watch.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Which brand is this so I can be sure to avoid it?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

TACD posted:

Which brand is this so I can be sure to avoid it?

Vizio.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure I'm going to be stuck watching the 32" dumb TV I bought in 2009 for the rest of my life.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Aramis posted:

they had kept it to that instead of slapping a bit of terrible bloat on top, that would have been actually a fairly compelling proposition.

This, but for every tech product. I don't like that I have a Pixel phone, but its the only way I can easily have a smartphone that doesn't overload the interface with a hundred "interactive" and "helpful" UI apps. If I'm wrong I'm also open to suggestions but not if they are Apple.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

the yellow dart posted:

This, but for every tech product. I don't like that I have a Pixel phone, but its the only way I can easily have a smartphone that doesn't overload the interface with a hundred "interactive" and "helpful" UI apps. If I'm wrong I'm also open to suggestions but not if they are Apple.
It was pretty much a matter of which Evil Empire I was willing to throw money at. I could throw less money at Google than at Apple, so there you go.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

withak posted:

Pretty sure I'm going to be stuck watching the 32" dumb TV I bought in 2009 for the rest of my life.

I have a 32" dumb TV that I bought in 2009 when our prime minister gave everyone 1000 bucks cos of the financial crisis. I love it and I hope it never dies

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

the yellow dart posted:

I would kill for a modern smart phone that allowed me to use a microSD card and a set of headphones with a 3.5mm jack. It's bullshit that they keep pushing these disposable bluetooth headsets with irreplaceable batteries.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Solkanar512 posted:

I would kill for a modern smart phone that allowed me to use a microSD card and a set of headphones with a 3.5mm jack. It's bullshit that they keep pushing these disposable bluetooth headsets with irreplaceable batteries.

I am having a great time with my moto g8, hth

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

the yellow dart posted:

Solkanar512 posted:

I know Nokia is not as widely available in the US, but they match this exactly. No bloat, long term updates guaranteed, and 3.5 mm jack.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bensa posted:

I know Nokia is not as widely available in the US, but they match this exactly. No bloat, long term updates guaranteed, and 3.5 mm jack.

Didn't Nokia get loving obliterated first by internal sabotage then the Microsoft buyout and being made a vehicle for Windows Phones that no one wants?

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't Nokia get loving obliterated first by internal sabotage then the Microsoft buyout and being made a vehicle for Windows Phones that no one wants?

Pretty much. During the Microsoft acquisition Nokia Networks was split off, which kept the non-phone parts of the company, and is one of two primary competitors to Huawei in the networking business.
After the collapse of Nokia branded Windows Phones, ex-Nokia employees founded a new company (HMD) licensing the Nokia brand to design phones. Manufacturing is all done in China now, which would have happened regardless of Nokia collapsing. High end Nokias used to be made in Finland, and a lot of manufacturing was still done in Europe.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still have a couple of Nokia Windows phones around here. What a hilarious time. I was working for a popular VoIP startup and Microsoft/Nokia was sending us test phone and paying us mid 6 figures to port our client to Windows Phone so they could get more things in the store.

To be fair, for their time the hardware was really nice. It was just borderline unusable because of the software.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't Nokia get loving obliterated first by internal sabotage

The guy that ran Nokia into the dirt (Stephen Elop) before the buyout used to work for Microsoft before that too.
Then after Nokia was a burnt out husk was rehired by MS.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 29, 2021

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The last time I checked, it was impossible to buy a non-smart wall-size TV, at least at Best Buy or Costco.
I bought a projector last year and have zero regrets; it's one of the best purchases I ever made.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

This Is the Zodiac posted:

I bought a projector last year and have zero regrets; it's one of the best purchases I ever made.

i agree, though even with good light control and a crazy expensive projector, you're not going to get the kind of contrast ratios you can with oled or microled.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

mediaphage posted:

i agree, though even with good light control and a crazy expensive projector, you're not going to get the kind of contrast ratios you can with oled or microled.

The short-throw ones with those crazy light absorbing screens come drat close to being TV-bright, at least. Of course, the ones I've seen run Android TV so lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

The short-throw ones with those crazy light absorbing screens come drat close to being TV-bright, at least. Of course, the ones I've seen run Android TV so lol

yeah they're bright, but you'll never get the amazing black levels of a panel imo. they're kind of amazing though and often i don't care.

also yeah, anroid. lol.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mister Facetious posted:

The guy that ran Nokia into the dirt (Stephen Elop) before the buyout used to work for Microsoft before that too.
Then after Nokia was a burnt out husk was rehired by MS.

This is the guy who dunked on Android when it launched, saying that OEMs who use it are like children peeing on themselves to keep warm in the snow, right?

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I mean, we're probably not too far away from consumer-level AR/VR and just watching everything on "virtual" screens. Apple is working on both AR glasses and a full VR headset; if they can get them to "stick" in the market the way products like the iPod and iPad have, we could definitely see manufacturers beginning to phase out physical displays.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Looking forward to the worst cyber world.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Volmarias posted:

This is the guy who dunked on Android when it launched, saying that OEMs who use it are like children peeing on themselves to keep warm in the snow, right?

I wouldn't know, but given the lack of OS & security updates/advertising on multi-hundred dollar phones/background app-killing fuckery that Android OEMs engage in to this day, I feel he has been vindicated on that one. :v:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

This Is the Zodiac posted:

I mean, we're probably not too far away from consumer-level AR/VR and just watching everything on "virtual" screens. Apple is working on both AR glasses and a full VR headset; if they can get them to "stick" in the market the way products like the iPod and iPad have, we could definitely see manufacturers beginning to phase out physical displays.

I don't know about other spouse-and-children-havers but I'm literally never going to put on a headset to Watch Shows

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

I don't know about other spouse-and-children-havers but I'm literally never going to put on a headset to Watch Shows

personally i already wear glasses so if it's anything pretty close to normal glasses i'm down

i'd actually like it so i could read lying down while not holding up a device lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Motronic posted:

To be fair, for their time the hardware was really nice. It was just borderline unusable because of the software.

Even the software followed the classic Zune pattern: the end-stage core OS was legitimately pretty good, but by the time they finally got there, it was dead in the market.

Their strategy of actively encouraging hello-world level app store schlock in an effort to boost the total number of apps on the platform didn't help, either. Or tying it to that super successful, well-loved Windows 8 branding...