Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Automotive Insanity 2017: just, like, a whole buncha dads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Hybrid minivans are the new brown wagons

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I thought brown wagons were the new brown wagons.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Driving Mazda’s Next Mazda 3 with Its Skyactiv-X Compression-Ignition Gas Engine

Sounds like it's the real thing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

quote:

When operating with compression ignition (CI), Skyactiv-X mixes air and fuel during the intake stroke (as it does during spark ignition, only much leaner) but then injects a second dollop of fuel just before the power stroke and ignites it using the spark plug. The flame created spreads out and down while also raising the cylinder pressure high enough—along with the compression from the piston—to combust the lean primary air/fuel mixture.

So it basically works just like the old Honda CVCC engines, it seems like. What once was old is new again.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

TheWevel posted:

What are everyone's thoughts on the Pacifica or the Pacifica Hybrid? Or the 2018 Odyssey for that matter? The discounts are greater on the non-hybrid Pacifica (as in, dealers only sell the Hybrid at MSRP) but I don't know how I feel about Chrysler.
I spent 7.5 hours in a rental one yesterday. The front passenger seat isn't the roomiest thing in the world, but it's probably fine for people who are not massively tall. I only spent about 10 minutes driving it but the throttle mapping seemed pretty aggressive. Didn't seem like it was starved for power or anything, though. It is surprisingly easier to park than you would think. The nav system isn't very good (surprise) and the touch screen seemed poorly calibrated. Out of the four rentals I rode in/drove during this trip it was by far my favorite; least favorite was the Jeep Cherokee that I rode out in. The seats were horrible and it had really obnoxious suspension, pounding over ever bump and wobbling in any turn.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The Pacifica is good, and the above poster is right that you can't be tall. I am over 6'4" and the Odyssey and Pacifica did not fit me. There are some things I liked about the Pacifica (ventilated seats ftw) and it was nice overall, but the 2017 Sienna we ended up with is super nice as well.
With the Sienna we found the secret button that actually makes the engine and transmission come to life, and it's actually nice to drive and plenty zippy. More so using that mode than the Pacifica in its similar mode, which could use some engine and transmission marriage counseling.

Basically go and drive all the minivans. I was really surprised about what I liked and different driving all of them, and used that to inform a decision on what was best for our family. Going in we could have sworn that it was Odyssey all the way, and it really wasn't in the end.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
Here's the new Genesis G70. It's a Kia Stinger but 6 inches shorter and without the liftback.

Early reviews seem promising and they *might* do a 2.0 Turbo and manual configuration. I think it looks really nice, grille aside.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

TheGoatTrick posted:

Here's the new Genesis G70. It's a BMW

:v:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I feel like its a faster Mazda 6.
with a Jag face and a E9x butt.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
The G70 has me more excited than the Stinger. It's a more attractive, less bubbly Q50 IMO.
Will be interesting to see the depreciation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I get a strong Infiniti vibe from the exterior design language.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Michael Scott posted:

Was this a regular, not premium Uber ride? Driver must have been doing it mostly for fun. It would be hard to gross more than $15-20 an hour after expenses which is chump change for most people that can afford an S. Granted they probably (ab)use a supercharger, but still interesting.

The guy said that he and his brother bought it together, and Uber it nights and weekends. It was a regular uber trip but I'm assuming it's because he wasn't getting any premium fares at that time. It was pretty unexpected so I asked him about it.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Actually my estimate is off because it's assuming normal mileage depreciation figures, but that's a much higher impact for an expensive car. So he was making even less, probably closer to minimum wage.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I was curious about how much that would cost so I went to Tesla's website. They have this bit of lovely language about their upcoming self-driving feature:

quote:

Please note also that using a self-driving Tesla for car sharing and ride hailing for friends and family is fine, but doing so for revenue purposes will only be permissible on the Tesla Network, details of which will be released next year.

So they're actually saying they can limit what you're allowed to do with a car you own. :fuckoff:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KillHour posted:

I was curious about how much that would cost so I went to Tesla's website. They have this bit of lovely language about their upcoming self-driving feature:

So they're actually saying they can limit what you're allowed to do with a car you own. :fuckoff:

It's a slippery slope that GM is trying to extend to their canbus and ECU programming. John Deere is trying to say it extends to the hardware itself, saying they can revoke your software license for the tractor if you repair or modify it with non-John Deere parts. Saying yeah, you own the car, but you're licensing the software that makes it run. A lot of states are introducing "right to repair" laws to fight this bullshit. For the 2018 model year, vehicle manufacturers are going to have to provide access to their diagnostic software to comply with the Massachusetts right to repair law, or stop selling their vehicles in Massachusetts.

Tesla is saying you own the car, but are licensing the self-driving software, and using it to make money for their competitor violates that licensing agreement. That might be a little harder to fight, but it would be amazing to see them get get smacked down in court. They were also one of the strongest voices against right to repair, and are still fighting compliance.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
But Tesla is the shakeup the auto industry needs right?

No one could possibly have foreseen it'd just be switching one type of awful for another.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

quote:

Please note also that using a self-driving Tesla for car sharing and ride hailing for friends and family is fine, but doing so for revenue purposes will only be permissible on the Tesla Network, details of which will be released next year.

The statement clearly means using the self driving features for ride sharing. You are more than welcome to drive the car yourself.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Sicilian posted:

The statement clearly means using the self driving features for ride sharing. You are more than welcome to drive the car yourself.

And if I spend $10,000 on that feature, I expect to be able to use it for whatever I want.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KillHour posted:

And if I spend $10,000 on that feature, I expect to be able to use it for whatever I want.

To be fair, we don't even know exactly how an of it is going to work, legally speaking.

Offering level 4 autonomy may require the company offering it to insure it, in which case you will be buying the hardware when you buy the car but the use of it as a driverless car will be a subscription that includes insurance. In that case, the stipulation against using the self-driving mode for commercial purposes would be in the insurance contract and completely legal.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Powershift posted:

To be fair, we don't even know exactly how an of it is going to work, legally speaking.

Offering level 4 autonomy may require the company offering it to insure it, in which case you will be buying the hardware when you buy the car but the use of it as a driverless car will be a subscription that includes insurance. In that case, the stipulation against using the self-driving mode for commercial purposes would be in the insurance contract and completely legal.

Nah, you can buy it like that right now.

https://www.tesla.com/models/design

You can't actually use it until it's been approved in your state, but you can buy the feature today if you want. I'm pretty sure Tesla would be in a poo poo load of trouble if they tried to charge you an ongoing fee or made you agree to additional contracts on top of that, in the same way that Ford can't release a new firmware for my head unit that refuses to play music unless I pay a monthly fee.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

KillHour posted:

You can spend ten grand in rent every month and still face commercial restriction on what and how you use the unit.

The seller offers this good and you can choose to buy it or not. Their terms are pretty fair.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Sicilian posted:

You can spend ten grand in rent every month and still face commercial restriction on what and how you use the unit.

The seller offers this good and you can choose to buy it or not. Their terms are pretty fair.

If I'm renting, that poo poo doesn't belong to me. If I buy it......fill in the blank

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
The local council, county, shire, city, state, federal government tell you what you are allowed to do with it?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You don't own Windows, you license it from Microsoft.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Judging from these new BMW concepts, it now looks better than a BMW

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ohrmazd posted:

You don't own Windows, you license it from Microsoft.
That's an increasing problem in lots of areas, particularly automobiles, as software becomes more and more pervasive in nearly all consumer products. The traditional model of leasing/licensing software allows them to put lots of restrictions on what you can and cannot do with the thing you thought you bought outright.

There are Right to Repair laws cropping up in various states intended to address the issue. There will probably be more in the future.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I got dinged in the parking lot once and Teslas are insanely expensive to fix

I'm getting the feeling it's one of those cars where hitting a shopping cart in the wrong place can total the car

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

PCOS Bill posted:

If I'm renting, that poo poo doesn't belong to me. If I buy it......fill in the blank

You will still be subject to local zoning and ordinances as well as restrictions placed by any peripheral administrative bodies like HOA's.

Just because I have a condo 70 floors up in a high rise that looks like class A commercial space and could function as such doesn't mean I'm allowed to.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I got dinged in the parking lot once and Teslas are insanely expensive to fix

I'm getting the feeling it's one of those cars where hitting a shopping cart in the wrong place can total the car

Do Tesla roadsters have the same carbon-fiber clamshell as the Lotus?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Is fibreglass "carbon fibre"?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Throatwarbler posted:

Is fibreglass "carbon fibre"?

No, was it fiberglass? My memory is terrible.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

The Sicilian posted:

You will still be subject to local zoning and ordinances as well as restrictions placed by any peripheral administrative bodies like HOA's.

Just because I have a condo 70 floors up in a high rise that looks like class A commercial space and could function as such doesn't mean I'm allowed to.

You and I both know that a permanent structure sitting with a bunch of other permanent structures are deed restricted for reasons that a mobile vehicle shouldn't be. Deed restrictions exist to protect other people's private property from you bleeding over value loss things into theirs. A mobile vehicle (that is increasingly looked at as a disposable item even) doesn't have the same cachet as a house or condo, adding in the whole idea of car ownership (since its inception) being about the freedom it grants. Leased vehicles are a different beast of course since those are more like long-term rentals, but we're already starting to see laws being put forth that make it so manufactures can't lock independent shops and private individuals out of repairing their vehicles due to arbitrary restrictions set forth by manufactures to pad their bottom line. it is a battle that manufactures will lose and will have to find some other way to restrict users via some other aspect they'll dream up.
Plus the fact that Tesla is a private enterprise and not a government and thus can get bent.

Wonder what Tesla would do if I bought a Model X and painted a bunch of 'Elon is a huge cock' signs all over it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

dissss posted:

But Tesla is the shakeup the auto industry needs right?

No one could possibly have foreseen it'd just be switching one type of awful for another.

This. Tesla is doing some things that really was overdue, giving other manufacturers a kick in the butt. Hailing them as doing business in a whole new way, "changing the way we think about cars" and other jack tho, that's so naive I'm getting a headache thinking about it.

Also words can't express how silly it is that Tesla was the no 1 US car maker by market cap for almost three months.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

TheGoatTrick posted:

I think it looks really nice, grille aside.

That grille cover thing is so stupid and it's been driving me crazy, who thought that was a good idea? :psyduck:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

TheGoatTrick posted:

I think it looks really nice, grille aside.

I really like it as well. Nice lines, nothing that stands out as stupid. Refined but sporty. Shame it's something we'll never get in Europe.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Genesis needs to come up with their own grille. If they do that they will be in a much better position design and brand wise.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ultimate Mango posted:

Every car maker needs to come up with a new grille. If they do that they will be in a much better position design and brand wise.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Thats what spurred on the last set of grille changes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Genesis needs to come up with their own grille. If they do that they will be in a much better position design and brand wise.

Genesis has two grilles. This for non sporty cars:

and this for sporty cars:

They're not mind-blowingly original, but I think they're just fine.