Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Mr. Tambo posted:

Using the word "slots" in this context is really confusing. Something like "castings" or "uses" or just calling them "Spell Points" would be better.

I think you will find that using those other words would not "feel" like Dungeons & Dragons. Using a term from a previous edition for something similar, but different, feels the most D&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rick posted:

As someone coming from Pathfinder this all seems familiar enough (I guess it helps I played through the beginner's box). Do you really not get any skill points at each level up? I don't have my own player's guide yet (it's in the mail).

Just asking because I'm using a character I didn't make but the GM said I could make some changes if I wanted, and I've decided to mostly roll with it since it was a pretty well made NPC, but if I'm not going to get a billion skill points every level as Wizards usually do, then I will shuffle those around a bit.

You're either Proficient or not-Proficient in a skill. If you are Proficient in it, you add your Proficiency bonus and your ability modifier when making a skill check with that skill.

If you are not Proficient, then you only add your ability modifier.

(Bards and Rogues can also get Expertise, which allows them to add twice their Proficiency bonus to a skill, to thematically reflect being skill-monkeys)

To pull off an analogy to Pathfinder, being Proficient at a skill is the equivalent of dumping all your skill points into a skill and always keeping it as updated as possible every time you level up, while not being Proficient is equivalent to not putting any skill points into a skill at all.

The removal of "skill point allocation" is a design decision to reflect that half-measures are ineffective in the first place.

Quixzlizx posted:

Do clerics get unlimited castings of their domain spells, or one cast per day? The description seems really vague to me.

As a Cleric, you always Know all of the spells on the Cleric spell list.

But before you can cast a spell, you need to Prepare it.

You can only Prepare a limited amount of spells, defined by your Wisdom modifier.

Once a spell is Prepared (as a subset of the list spells you Know, which is all of them), you can then spend spell slots on it.

Domain spells are Always Prepared, and do not count against the normal limit of spells that you can Prepare.

====

In comparison:

For the Sorcerer and Bard classes, the selection of spells they Know is limited and small, but all the spells they Know, are also always Prepared

For the Wizard class, they do not immediately Know all spells, but it is possible for them to, given enough time and research and loot (and GM cooperation), but then they need to select a small subset of spells to Prepare.

For Clerics and Druids, they Know all spells, but then they need to select a small subset of spells to Prepare, and Domain spells are always Prepared.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 14, 2017

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
OK, thanks. I was indeed thrown by the use of the word prepare.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

'Slot' is a super dumb word for what the things are, since nothing 'slots' into them.

I told my players to visualize spell 'slots' as different colored gems, and using a spell they have prepared consumes a gem, which they would toss into a metaphorical hat until they take a rest. Replace all mentions of 'slots' and 'higher leveled slots' or 'lowered level slots' with 'spell gems', 'higher leveled spell gems' and 'lower leveled spell gems' respectively. They're a resource, not a container.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mendrian posted:

'Slot' is a super dumb word for what the things are, since nothing 'slots' into them.

I told my players to visualize spell 'slots' as different colored gems, and using a spell they have prepared consumes a gem, which they would toss into a metaphorical hat until they take a rest. Replace all mentions of 'slots' and 'higher leveled slots' or 'lowered level slots' with 'spell gems', 'higher leveled spell gems' and 'lower leveled spell gems' respectively. They're a resource, not a container.

everrrrrrrqueeeeeeeeeeesssssssttttttttttttttttttt

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mendrian posted:

it used to make sense because you slotted specific spells into spell slots: you have three slots, you put Magic Missile in one, Sleep in the second, and Floating Disc in the third. If you cast Sleep, that was it, the other two slots can only cast what you slotted into them when you memorized spells.

You're right that it doesn't make as much sense these days when they're more like "spell charges" since any spell slot can be spent on any Prepared spell.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I'll admit spell slots always took me a little extra thought until it really clicked when I got around to playing a psion and started thinking of slots kinda like charges.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the way it was supposed to work was that Wizards had to commit specific spells to specific slots, but had the potential to know all (arcane) spells ever. That gave them the widest possible selection of spells, but you had to commit to the spells a day in advance.

Meanwhile, Sorcerers could spend any spell they wanted on any slot, but they could only ever learn a small set of spells. The Sorcerer was supposed to be a more versatile alternative to the Wizard, and the small set of spells would be worth it because you wouldn't be subject to AD&D's punishing DM-fiat-heavy rules for Wizard spell acquisition. The Sorcerer was also supposed to be able to demo the metamagic mechanics, because metamagic feat effects had to be committed to the spell slot ahead of time for a Wizard, but could be used at the moment of casting for a Sorcerer since the spells aren't tied to the slot.

What happened was that when 5e disentangled even Wizard spells from being committed to specific slots (which was itself yet another 3e Unearthed Arcana houserule that Mearls made a core mechanic for 5e), there wasn't really any reason to even call it slots anymore.

You could switch over to a straight-up spell points model for the intuitiveness of it, but that makes casters even more powerful because now multiple low-level spell slots can be virtually combined into higher-level spell slots.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

gradenko_2000 posted:

You could switch over to a straight-up spell points model for the intuitiveness of it, but that makes casters even more powerful because now multiple low-level spell slots can be virtually combined into higher-level spell slots.

Sorcerers do this already lol

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Dr Cheeto posted:

Sorcerers do this already lol

Not really. They can combine their special class points into more spells, but then they can't use their metamagic, which seems like it's the main reason to play a sorcerer. (Twinning a bunch of stronger spells seems a lot better than getting one or two more.)

Edit: also, the Wizard gets a bunch of features later (and one early) that let them recover spells as well.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Does expertise apply to grappling as well? My dwarf barbarian loves grappling and wants to dip into rogue to make his grappling even better.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Yes, it does. Rogue's second-level bonus action is pretty useful for dragging grappled targets around, too.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
There is a reason that Rogue and Bard are better than Fighters and Barbarians at grappling.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Ryuujin posted:

There is a reason that Rogue and Bard are better than Fighters and Barbarians at grappling.

Bards can cheat with magic!

As for rogues, I dunno. They should be used to trying to escape custody?

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Bards are pro wrestlers and become better grapplers by cutting promos and setting off pyro

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Under the vegetable posted:

Bards are pro wrestlers and become better grapplers by cutting promos and setting off pyro

Not a day goes by that I don't wish Poison Spray were a better spell so I could justify a Great Muta character.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I ran a Barb 6/Rogue 2 for a few sessions at level eight. +11 to grapple with Advantage from Rage is easy street. Take a rapier and jam it into their ribs with Sneak Attack and cackle madly.

Then drag them over to their friend and grapple them too. Really put the pressure on with some holds.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

sleepy.eyes posted:

Bards can cheat with magic!

As for rogues, I dunno. They should be used to trying to escape custody?

It never occurred to the designers that maybe allowing Bards and Rogues to be good at the one ability score that Fighters and Barbarians are supposed to be good at could somehow cause problems.

I don't know why they didn't put any limitations on which skills each class could apply Expertise to; that would almost be thematic and we can't have that, no no.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

"I execute a tombstone piledriver as my grapple."

"Roll persuasion to whisper in the goblins ear to get ready for it, then give me a performance check."

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

P.d0t posted:

It never occurred to the designers that maybe allowing Bards and Rogues to be good at the one ability score that Fighters and Barbarians are supposed to be good at could somehow cause problems.

I don't know why they didn't put any limitations on which skills each class could apply Expertise to; that would almost be thematic and we can't have that, no no.

The easier fix is just to make it so that grappling isn't tied to a skill check, alone of all the attack options. It's a bit of a weird exception to the normal combat rules anyway.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

The easier fix is just to make it so that grappling isn't tied to a skill check, alone of all the attack options. It's a bit of a weird exception to the normal combat rules anyway.

And the alternative would be....? :can:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
An attack roll followed by an opposed Strength check?

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

P.d0t posted:

And the alternative would be....? :can:

Fighters/barbarians/whatever are Very Strong and get to say 'I pin the dragon's wings together'/'I suplex the train' in deterministic circumstances they can always work towards/a certain number of times per period.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

JBP posted:

"I execute a tombstone piledriver as my grapple."

"Roll persuasion to whisper in the goblins ear to get ready for it, then give me a performance check."

The tombstone piledriver would have to be an athletics check post-grapple to shove the opponent prone. You even maintain the grapple for that cool crossing their arms across their chest pin.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Uh, grappling is a skill. Small guys can grapple big guys. The whole point of grappling rules as written is so you can do silly stuff like building a Goliath grappler, casting enlarge person on yourself, and then grab a Huge (possibly Gargantuan) creature and start dragging it around at half your move.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Can some one help me understand the Disciplines Known limit for the new Mystic class? It says you get to choose any discipline at level 1, and it says you have a Disciplines Known limit of 1 as well. Easy enough.

But, once you choose an Order such as Avatar which has the Bonus Disciplines feature "At 1st level, you learn two additional psionic disciplines of your choice. They must be chosen from among the Avatar disciplines." do these additional disciplines count against the Disciplines Known limit of 1? Becasue it would mean you'd have 3, even thought you don't get a Disciplines Known limit of 3 till level 5. So does that mean you're not allowed to learn a new one till you level up and gain a limit of 4? OR do they not count and that means at level 3 when it goes up to a limit of 2 you can choose another? It just doesn't make it clear how these bonus disciplines count against your limit, if at all.

Also, before I jump to googling, does anyone know of any decent (tested & balanced) homebrew supplements that have created additional maneuvers for the Battlemaster? Some of the PHB ones are alright, but most of them boil down to "add a d8 to your attack" instead of actually trying to be creative or inventive. Otherwise I'll probably look to the Mistic disciplines for inspiration and create some of my own.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Uh, grappling is a skill.
It's a skill, but is it a Skill? Wizards don't roll Arcana for their fireball, they roll Wizard. Why don't Fighters roll Expertise: Fighter for their piledrivers? Why do the guy named Fighter and the class based around being an unarmoured brawler have to multiclass out to get the good numbers for brawling in a fight?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 15, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Splicer posted:

It's a skill, but is it a Skill? Wizards don't roll Arcana for their fireball, they roll Wizard. Why don't Fighters roll Expertise: Fighter for their piledrivers? Why do the guy named Fighter and the class based around being an unarmoured brawler have to multiclass out to get the good numbers for brawling in a fight?

Same reason Clerics made a better Necromancer in 3.5 than Wizards, bad design.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Splicer posted:

Barbarian gets advantage on grappling checks while raging, and automatically rolls at least 20 on their checks at high levels, and gets 2-3 grapple checks per turn. They are good at grappling.

Fighters get a ton of grapple attempts per turn, they are also good at grappling straight out of the box.

Like are you guys mad that multiclassing allows better minmaxing wrt grapple?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Sorry if this is old news to you guys but apparently you were all name-dropped in a GDC talk last year (I got it timestampped to the part):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvyrEhAMUPo&t=665s

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Love Stole the Day posted:

Sorry if this is old news to you guys but apparently you were all name-dropped in a GDC talk last year (I got it timestampped to the part):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvyrEhAMUPo&t=665s

This is new to me and cool to watch because jsaw is cool but what is old news is that he's well known poster Rope Kid on the forums.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

esquilax posted:

Barbarian gets advantage on grappling checks while raging, and automatically rolls at least 20 on their checks at high levels, and gets 2-3 grapple checks per turn. They are good at grappling.

Fighters get a ton of grapple attempts per turn, they are also good at grappling straight out of the box.

Like are you guys mad that multiclassing allows better minmaxing wrt grapple?

While raging barbarians are maybe about as good as a Rogue or Bard with Expertise. Maybe. Bard can get Advantage from another feature, and well if you go high enough level a Rogue archetype can get Advantage as well. Which solidly puts both single class classes better than the Barbarian at grappling.

Fighters eventually get more attacks than anyone, except a ki burning monk, this gives them many opportunities to roll for grapple, but they are middle tier, at best, at grappling because they are not good at grappling, or at least not better than anyone else who ups strength and has Athletics proficiency.

This does bring up the ONE thing these two classes have that base Rogue and Bard don't, multiple attacks so as to grapple, knock prone, and possibly even start unleashing some attacks. They get into the groove of things faster than the other two classes, assuming they actually succeed on the check which is by no means a guarantee.

Now yes at an exceedingly high level Barbarians cannot roll below say a 20, and at 20th a 24. But they can't roll much higher than that. At 11th level, 7 levels sooner, a grapple focused Rogue cannot roll below a 23. 3 points higher than the 18th level Barbarian yet the Rogue can roll up to 10 points higher, a 33 is higher than a 20th level Barbarian can reach without a special magic item to set their strength to above 24, and the Rogue could benefit from the same item just as much. It gets even worse at higher levels, by 15th level the Rogue can have a minimum of 25 on their grapple, at 18th level if the Rogue was a Swashbuckler they can spend a bonus action to get Advantage on their grapple. And at 20th level the Rogue would have a minimum of 27 and a maximum of 37, easily putting the Barbarian to shame.

Of course the Rogue only gets 1 attack per round, this is where multiclassing can actually make the best grappler. Take 5 levels of something with Extra Attack and the only thing that Rogue loses out on is the 18th level Swashbuckler feature, all the rest stays the same so long as they have at least 11 levels of Rogue. Go Barbarian and you can get the Rage for Advantage, though there are other ways to get advantage.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Some of you might want to get in on this: Mike Mearls AMA

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Re: grappling - My point is that barbarians and fighters are good at grappling out of the box due to normal class features and how they are usually built. They are both really good at doing the grapple thing without spending any additional time focusing on grappling.

If you're going to full on charop, you may as well include a mount in the mix for free dash and ridiculous speed.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Klungar posted:

*lights the arivia signal*

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Klungar posted:

No one ever answers my questions in these. :(

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

esquilax posted:

Re: grappling - My point is that barbarians and fighters are good at grappling out of the box due to normal class features and how they are usually built. They are both really good at doing the grapple thing without spending any additional time focusing on grappling.

If you're going to full on charop, you may as well include a mount in the mix for free dash and ridiculous speed.

But they aren't. They are at best, slightly above, average.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Huh interesting some stuff that Mearls himself does not like about 5e.

quote:

Stuff about 5e that bugs me:
Cyclical initiative - too predictable
Fighter subclasses - so bland!
The divide in the warlock between the pact and the pact boon - boons should be options chosen from among stuff your specific pact can give
Ranger - I'd rebuild it using the paladin as more of a model
Druid - I'd make shapeshifting more central, maybe scale casting back to paladin or rogue level, use a nature domain for the guy with a scimitar and shield
James Wyatt wrote a cool sample adventure for the DMG that we couldn't include. Wish we had.
A better treatment of actions - action typing is still too fuzzy for more tastes.
Bonus action - they're pretty hacky; I'd get rid of them and just design smarter. Prior editions always poke through your thinking and distort it. We were so dependent on swift/minor actions that it took a lot of work to stop framing concepts in their terms.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

*lights the arivia signal*

Why the gently caress would I ever talk to Mike Mearls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Arivia posted:

Why the gently caress would I ever talk to Mike Mearls?

ask him directly about all the poo poo he's helped encourage.