Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Elviscat posted:

It sounds like your status quo is your best bet then, honestly, or spring for another Tesla, or buy the cheapest 14-50 EVSE you can find on Amazon, if your destination is well insured.

E: I went looking for the cheapest EVSE on Amazon, and I found one that had a light-up cable for ???

This is a case where I really want one with all the safeguards, lol. Light up cable sounds cool though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
I just got back from test driving the new Tesla highland 3 and wow it's a major improvement in noise and comfort. I currently drive a 2018 3 and I'd rate the 2018 below a Corolla in terms of noise, comfort and finish. It's not that Teslas are so terrible it's just that Toyotas are just really well put together. The new highland 3 is about the equivalent of a Camry. If the new update for Y was out, I'd probably have purchased the Y today. It's that much better. Even then I'm still considering just buying the improved 3 now rather than waiting a year. A hatchback would be really beneficial since I'm at the home Depot nearly every weekend for some project the spouse wants done.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Darchangel posted:

To be fair, the Busyforks is remarkably ugly/stupid-looking.

Plus the Busyforks (LMAO who came up what that) is a poo poo EV, why would would get that instead of a Hyundai is beyond me.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I drove one for over a month after I got rear ended on my jetta as a rental, (the solterra version) it was real bad, it also had slow as poo poo dc charging.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Plus the Busyforks (LMAO who came up what that) is a poo poo EV, why would would get that instead of a Hyundai is beyond me.

Dealing with a Hyundai dealership is a REALLY high non monetary cost (in the US).

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Russian Bear posted:

Dealing with a Hyundai dealership is a REALLY high non monetary cost (in the US).
A poo poo car you drive every day, a poo poo dealer you maybe deal with a few days a year

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I always think of toyota/honda dealers as worse than kia/hyundai because the kia/hyundai guys are at least eager to sell you a car. Toyota and Honda don’t seem like they give a gently caress. Dealerships around here aren’t even open Sunday ffs.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I was about to post a similar comment. Toyota dealers are straight up rude. "Buy it or don't because someone else will" is their new motto

From personal observations, Nissan/Kia/Chevrolet seems to be as condescending as possible, treating everyone as the lowest common denominator.

Hyundai has been friendly, straightforward and attentive. But that's across 2 dealerships out of hundreds.

No wonder people love the Tesla buying process

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 13, 2024

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

The latest in the ChargePoint HomeFlex saga...

Got the replacement unit via fedex today. Interestingly, they shipped both a base unit and charge cable (in separate boxes) whereas the original unit all came in one box. I unwire the old unit, unmount it from the wall, hang up the new unit and wire it up and.....nothing. Same exact behavior as before, the unit does not appear to power on in any way, no LEDs light up, nothing.

For giggles I tried swapping the charge cable as well instead of reusing the original one. Still nothing. Tried using the app to do the activation anyways, it doesn't detect anything (same as with the original unit)

I confirmed with a contact tester that both legs of the incoming circuit are hot when the breaker is on, so I'm reasonably confident that we are good supply-side.

Surely they couldn't have sent me a second DOA unit? I can't for the life of me figure what else it could be though. My electrician friend who did the original wire-up is just as stumped.

Almost all of my googling comes up with posts on Reddit and elsewhere from people complaining about WiFi sync issues, but I'm not even getting that far. It's simply not powering up at all.

I'm at a loss here. Anyone have any ideas?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Weird. I wish I could be more helpful but the swap of my ChargePoint was super simple. Just took a photo first to make sure I put the wires back in the same places (they didn’t include a second charge plug with mine) and swapped with the most time just being unscrewing and rescrewing the stabilizing screw.

Could it be something like flipped polarity on the wires from the breaker/plug? Even without the wifi mine worked fine, it would just be a regular dumb plug.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

priznat posted:

Weird. I wish I could be more helpful but the swap of my ChargePoint was super simple. Just took a photo first to make sure I put the wires back in the same places (they didn’t include a second charge plug with mine) and swapped with the most time just being unscrewing and rescrewing the stabilizing screw.

Could it be something like flipped polarity on the wires from the breaker/plug? Even without the wifi mine worked fine, it would just be a regular dumb plug.

My understanding is that the polarity doesn't matter on a 240v circuit (I asked this question of the electrician when we were doing the original install). Each leg is 120v, and the neutral wire is unused. Indeed, the install guide does not label which supply wire is which, just where the ground wire goes relative to them. They only explicitly mark the colors on the charge cable side and the wire separator at the end keeps them in the right "order" as well.

I suppose I could try using this NEMA 6-50 plug that came with the replacement unit to test it on my dryer outlet, but then I'd have to get an adaptor for whatever the dryer plug format is in order to do that test. this would at least allow us to rule out whether the unit is dead or something about the hardwiring circuit is bad

TheCondor
Oct 30, 2010

vanilla slimfast posted:

I confirmed with a contact tester that both legs of the incoming circuit are hot when the breaker is on, so I'm reasonably confident that we are good supply-side.

Is the contact tester the only thing you've used to check the circuit?

I have a 6-20 outlet in my garage, I found out both hots were 120v relative to ground but 0v between them instead of 240v. The previous owners built a new house on the property but kept the old garage, some dingus ran wire from a single pole in the new main panel out to the old garage fuse box and jumpered it over both input phases.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

vanilla slimfast posted:

My understanding is that the polarity doesn't matter on a 240v circuit

That is correct, not only does it not matter, it doesn't even exist.

If you want to just test to see if the drat thing powers up, and you're comfortable doing so, you could just unwire your dryer cord, and wire it into the EVSE to do a quick check (or buy the cord from Home Depot and return it after you're done). I agree that it seems very odd that they'd give you 2 DoA units, but it sounds like the circuit was installed by your friend who's a professional electrician, and I'm struggling to figure out what/how he could have hosed a 240V circuit up.

Testing to ensure you have 240V at the contacts would be a good step, too.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Or say gently caress the rebate and buy a Grizzle-E or whatever ClipperCreek's dumbshit new name is.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

TheCondor posted:

Is the contact tester the only thing you've used to check the circuit?

I have a 6-20 outlet in my garage, I found out both hots were 120v relative to ground but 0v between them instead of 240v. The previous owners built a new house on the property but kept the old garage, some dingus ran wire from a single pole in the new main panel out to the old garage fuse box and jumpered it over both input phases.

A good thought. I haven’t busted out a multimeter to test voltage on the bare lines so it could be possible that the two hots are cancelling each other out, but I doubt it.

It’s a brand new circuit wired up in the panel with a two-pole 40A breaker. I watched the electrician install it. He did wire up the neutral on the panel but it is unused and capped on the EVSE side.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

vanilla slimfast posted:

A good thought. I haven’t busted out a multimeter to test voltage on the bare lines so it could be possible that the two hots are cancelling each other out, but I doubt it.

It’s a brand new circuit wired up in the panel with a two-pole 40A breaker. I watched the electrician install it. He did wire up the neutral on the panel but it is unused and capped on the EVSE side.

That'd just be.... the same hot, not really canceling each other out.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Elviscat posted:

That'd just be.... the same hot, not really canceling each other out.

You see why I hired an electrician in the first place. :v:

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

lostleaf posted:

I just got back from test driving the new Tesla highland 3 and wow it's a major improvement in noise and comfort. I currently drive a 2018 3 and I'd rate the 2018 below a Corolla in terms of noise, comfort and finish. It's not that Teslas are so terrible it's just that Toyotas are just really well put together. The new highland 3 is about the equivalent of a Camry. If the new update for Y was out, I'd probably have purchased the Y today. It's that much better. Even then I'm still considering just buying the improved 3 now rather than waiting a year. A hatchback would be really beneficial since I'm at the home Depot nearly every weekend for some project the spouse wants done.

Have you considered an id.4?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
There are a few used EV6 Wind (and a GT-Line) with little mileage on them for a decent price in my area... Going to be test driving a 2022 EV6 Wind that is apparently equipped with every available option package.

Am I making a mistake?

Any other EV6 owners in the thread?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Stellantis has capitulated, their MY2026 will use J3400. I'll be curious to see if they will provide adapters for the European designed units (e-ducato and 500) or redesign their OBC. Also they seem to be hyping yet another OEM made charging network, they love throwing cash away it seems.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Failson posted:

Have you considered an id.4?

I have test driven an ID4 and it's a pretty good car but the noise and ride quality was about equivalent to a model Y. Which is better than the old 3 but nowhere near the updated one. I had tested it along with the ev6 and ioniq5 and model Y a year ago when I was looking for alternatives to the old 3 but nothing was enough of an improvement that made me want actually spend money. I put down a deposit on the Volvo ex30 but still haven't had the chance to test drive it.

The updated 3 actually made me want to open my wallet but am probably going to wait for the updated Y.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

stevewm posted:

There are a few used EV6 Wind (and a GT-Line) with little mileage on them for a decent price in my area... Going to be test driving a 2022 EV6 Wind that is apparently equipped with every available option package.

Am I making a mistake?

I've had an EV6 GT since June and it's been flawless. No rattles or issues so far at 6k miles and I look forward to rocketing around every day. I only have a 25 mile roundtrip and haven't gone on any trips over 200 miles so I haven't had to use public chargers but the range estimates have been dead on and significantly above EPA range (GTs have a flawed EPA rating though).

Best car I've ever had and I've had some bangers.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

stevewm posted:

Am I making a mistake?

My parents got a launch EV6 first edition (which I believe is equivalent to the GT-Line with all options), and they've been extremely happy with it. They've road tripped it out east, out west, up through canada, lot of use out of it with no issues so far. I've quite enjoyed it myself the times I've driven it too.

I'm sure the dealership has done this, but I'd make sure as well its received all the software updates, as there were a lot of useful things added since the 2022 launch like battery pre-conditioning. You may also want to make sure they've included a charger for it, as the 2022 models at least did not include a lvl 1 charger with the car. So if you don't already have one installed at home and they aren't including one, you'll need to pick one up somewhere.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I've been away and I just want to say that I love how, in catching up, I was able to read about the economics and supply issues of hydrogen fuel cells, dissing on car dealerships, and some good takes about 2-phase AC power, all in one thread.

Stay cool, EV thread.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Someone hit our id4 back in January and I was finally able to drop it off today for bodywork. Enterprise, I think as a joke, offered a RAM 1500 as a rental to which I shrugged and said yeah that's fine. I've already forgotten to put it in park twice since the id4 does that when you get out of the car. The thing is also exceptionally sluggish and I'm amazed all the RAM 1500 drivers are able to tailgate anyone at all.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
EV6'ers - any problems with the lack of a rear wiper? I don't know if I could deal with that out here in the big soggy.

lostleaf posted:

I have test driven an ID4 and it's a pretty good car but the noise and ride quality was about equivalent to a model Y. Which is better than the old 3 but nowhere near the updated one. I had tested it along with the ev6 and ioniq5 and model Y a year ago when I was looking for alternatives to the old 3 but nothing was enough of an improvement that made me want actually spend money. I put down a deposit on the Volvo ex30 but still haven't had the chance to test drive it.

The updated 3 actually made me want to open my wallet but am probably going to wait for the updated Y.

I appreciate the comparisons, thank you!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Someone hit our id4 back in January and I was finally able to drop it off today for bodywork. Enterprise, I think as a joke, offered a RAM 1500 as a rental to which I shrugged and said yeah that's fine. I've already forgotten to put it in park twice since the id4 does that when you get out of the car. The thing is also exceptionally sluggish and I'm amazed all the RAM 1500 drivers are able to tailgate anyone at all.

Ooof, that's hilarious. Hope the repair goes quick.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Yeah from my experience driving full-size trucks in order for these weirdos to drive as aggressively as they do they have to have it floored almost constantly. It’s psychotic poo poo. The reaction time for the engine is a good couple seconds often times! Or seems like it anyway.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Failson posted:

EV6'ers - any problems with the lack of a rear wiper? I don't know if I could deal with that out here in the big soggy.

Don't worry, you can't see anything out of the rear windows anyway :D

:ssh: I really like my EV6. Never had any trouble with it.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Failson posted:

Ooof, that's hilarious. Hope the repair goes quick.

2-4 weeks :classiclol:

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

vanilla slimfast posted:

So I went back out today with my (admittedly old and janky) multimeter to see what’s up

L1 to ground: 120V
L2 to ground: 120V
L1 to L2: 105V?!

I don’t even know what this means. It’s not 0V that at least means both hots aren’t running off one bus bar, but I don’t get how this would be the measurement. I’d expect it to be 240V, no?

Electrician is going to come back by shortly to test it out with his fluke multimeter

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

vanilla slimfast posted:

So I went back out today with my (admittedly old and janky) multimeter to see what’s up

L1 to ground: 120V
L2 to ground: 120V
L1 to L2: 105V?!

I don’t even know what this means. It’s not 0V that at least means both hots aren’t running off one bus bar, but I don’t get how this would be the measurement. I’d expect it to be 240V, no?

Electrician is going to come back by shortly to test it out with his fluke multimeter

Yeah, something isn't right there, it should read 240v between L1 and L2.

I've seen janky voltages like that when something had a bad connection before, make sure everything is torqued down properly. A picture of the breaker (with the panel cover off so we can see the wires), and where they come into the EVSE could help us make more informed guesses, but ultimately it will be up to your electrician to fix anything we spot.

If it persists, something that I would also check is the voltage between L1 and L2 in the panel right off the main feeder and also where the wires are clamped in the breaker.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Indiana_Krom posted:

Yeah, something isn't right there, it should read 240v between L1 and L2.

I've seen janky voltages like that when something had a bad connection before, make sure everything is torqued down properly. A picture of the breaker (with the panel cover off so we can see the wires), and where they come into the EVSE could help us make more informed guesses, but ultimately it will be up to your electrician to fix anything we spot.

If it persists, something that I would also check is the voltage between L1 and L2 in the panel right off the main feeder and also where the wires are clamped in the breaker.

So....we figured it out. Electrician came back and did the same tests I did. We got 120V readings on each leg by testing against the terminals inside the EVSE.

But then we pulled the wires out of the terminals and tested them bare and discovered one of the two legs was not actually sending any voltage. The prior readings must have been a result of voltage leaking inside the EVSE when not drawing any current. Turns out the lug was loose on the breaker for that leg. Once we got that all tightened up and reinstalled, everything powered on immediately. It took me all of 2 minutes to activate the charger and get it on my wifi after that

The electrician was very apologetic and acknowledged that it was his gently caress-up, and something we should have checked at the original install. I gently caress poo poo up all the time so I can't be mad at it. Live and learn!

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 14, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Everyone owes chargepoint an apology! :haw:

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

priznat posted:

Everyone owes chargepoint an apology! :haw:

lol for real. Their support has actually been pretty good. slow in responding over the original timeline of the case but to their credit they sent a replacement unit no questions asked.

So now I have to RMA them the original unit which is almost certainly not dead, but I'm not going to bother trying to swap it back to confirm that.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Tesla is planning a 164 stall supercharger location along I-5 in California, in case anyone was wondering how they plan to handle the extra demand from NACS adoption. That's 41 megawatts of peak possible demand (at 250kw/stall).

https://twitter.com/marcorpi1/status/1757117378981191693

That's more stalls than exist in both Dakotas combined.

borkencode fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 15, 2024

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

borkencode posted:

Tesla is planning a 164 stall supercharger location along I-5 in California, in case anyone was wondering how they plan to handle the extra demand from NACS adoption. That's 41 megawatts of peak possible demand (at 250kw/stall).

https://twitter.com/marcorpi1/status/1757117378981191693

That's more stalls than exist in both Dakotas combined.
It'll see more daily traffic too.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Anything you put in that future development area is going to make money hand over fist. You can open a hot dog stand that charges stadium prices, and people will pay it.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Anything other than a Buc-ee's in that Future Development area would be a crime.
Yes, I know Buc-ee's is a Texas/East Coast thing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Put an In-n-Out in there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
I’ve actually charged at the largest Buc-ee’s: 24 superchargers, 120 gas pumps.

The pumps probably have a higher throughput, but I think a lot of people just parked at the pump to go in and wander, so maybe not that much more throughput.