Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lackmaster posted:

Curious what folks think about the recent Russian territorial advances? Here’s a random article: https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2024/05/17/ukraine-war-live-updates-latest-news-on-russia-and-the-war-in-ukraine.html

E: sorry nm I was completely blinded by the train physics post and missed the whole discussion in the page before lol

What's there to think about this. This is a direct result of 9 months of American inaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Its to be expected, and imo weird on Russias part with the window for gains starting to close for the year. Oddly noncommital force-wise.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Dandywalken posted:

Its to be expected, and imo weird on Russias part with the window for gains starting to close for the year. Oddly noncommital force-wise.

I've seen some reporting that Russia's apparently had trouble assembling the manpower it wanted, which seems to be a surprise considering all the reporting on how they were assembling a huge bunch of dudes, but maybe they were actually going to train them a little this time? Maybe even feed and arm them? I've definitely been seeing less of the usual "PLEASE, GREAT LORD PUTIN, WE KNOW IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT WE'VE ONLY HAD TWO RATS TO EAT AND ONE GUN BETWEEN US, ALSO OUR COMMANDER MADE US BUY HIS NEW CRYPTO TOKEN, PLEASE FIX THIS"-videos for a while now, so possibly they're trying to get more out of the men they do have, or possibly someone just realized that if they went ahead with another big mobilization wave, maybe this would be the one that would start causing some real upset.

At the same time, Ukrainian reporting is that apparently for the first time since the start of the war they've now got enough artillery ammo that every commander can just let rip without worrying about his stocks, and the usual videos of FPV drones shredding Russian AFV's, tanks, Chinese golf carts, motorcycles, etc. are again supplemented by artillery shells levelling entire buildings the Russians are using for cover.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I suspect that the reduction of that messaging is because the army has gotten better at clamping down on social media and censorship in general, rather than addressing the core problems.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

I suspect that the reduction of that messaging is because the army has gotten better at clamping down on social media and censorship in general, rather than addressing the core problems.

It was several months into the war before Russians even started to ban soldiers from carrying smartphones with them. Devices that connected into Ukraine-managed mobile phone networks and pinpointed the location of each and every Russian soldier who wanted to take pictures or use mobile apps when bored.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Der Kyhe posted:

It was several months into the war before Russians even started to ban soldiers from carrying smartphones with them. Devices that connected into Ukraine-managed mobile phone networks and pinpointed the location of each and every Russian soldier who wanted to take pictures or use mobile apps when bored.

I wonder how many soldiers used VPNs that they thought would help hide them.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Der Kyhe posted:

Didn't exactly work, I still remember Christmas 2022 where the Ukrainians wiped out an entire school filled with celebrating Russian soldiers after they took pictures of the party. That provoked some dramatic reactions and gnashing of teeth.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Didn't exactly work, I still remember Christmas 2022 where the Ukrainians wiped out an entire school filled with celebrating Russian soldiers after they took pictures of the party. That provoked some dramatic reactions and gnashing of teeth.

Yeah it took a long while to start having any effect, but that the idea of "hey lets not carry homing beacons which the enemy can use to pinpoint our locations" didn't even cross their minds to begin with is mind boggling, considering that the first wave troops were supposed to be mostly professional standing units filled with career soldiers.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Der Kyhe posted:

Yeah it took a long while to start having any effect, but that the idea of "hey lets not carry homing beacons which the enemy can use to pinpoint our locations" didn't even cross their minds to begin with is mind boggling, considering that the first wave troops were supposed to be mostly professional standing units filled with career soldiers.

Yeah but rape, pillage and torturing gets so boriiiiiiiiiiiing gimmi my smart phone for cat videos

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

I mean at the same time, wasn't there a case some years back where US soldiers were neatly reporting their locations through insecure fitness apps and such, outlining their bases and letting anyone with unvirtuous inclinations know exactly when there were some likely-unarmed, tired soldiers out on their lonesome getting some cardio?

I think a lot of big militaries have gotten used to fighting enemies without too much tech.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean at the same time, wasn't there a case some years back where US soldiers were neatly reporting their locations through insecure fitness apps and such, outlining their bases and letting anyone with unvirtuous inclinations know exactly when there were some likely-unarmed, tired soldiers out on their lonesome getting some cardio?

I think a lot of big militaries have gotten used to fighting enemies without too much tech.

Yes, running the patrol roads around the base basically drawing a map of the place to a service where everyone could see it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

PurpleXVI posted:

The US soldiers doing that in sensitive areas were, so far as I've heard, just running around the inside of the perimeter fence, not off by their lonesome. On the other hand, the commander of a Black Sea Fleet submarine used for cruise missile launches WAS out by his lonesome (in a city) when Ukrainian intelligence caught up with him.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-07-11/russian-military-official-on-ukraine-blacklist-assassinated/102589668

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

https://www.wired.com/story/strava-heat-map-military-bases-fitness-trackers-privacy/

Jogging inside bases gave away their location and people were even turning it on for patrols. Gotta get those steps in.

Didn't a Russian air force guy get clapped on his Strava linked jogging route too?

Edit ^^^^

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

mllaneza posted:

The US soldiers doing that in sensitive areas were, so far as I've heard, just running around the inside of the perimeter fence, not off by their lonesome. On the other hand, the commander of a Black Sea Fleet submarine used for cruise missile launches WAS out by his lonesome (in a city) when Ukrainian intelligence caught up with him.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-07-11/russian-military-official-on-ukraine-blacklist-assassinated/102589668

Lmao same app as when US soldiers were accidentally mapping their bases for everyone to see.

quote:

Baza, a Russian Telegram channel with links to the security services, said the killer could have tracked Cpt Rzhitsky's movements in Krasnodar on the exercise app Strava, where he posted details of his regular jogging route and how long he took to complete it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

And then there were the soldiers who were cramming to learn all the security protocols for guarding the US nuclear weapons that are based in Europe. So they put all of the top-secret info they had to learn into one of those make-your-own-flash-cards learning apps. And left the card decks publicly visible to other app users.

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2021/05/28/us-soldiers-expose-nuclear-weapons-secrets-via-flashcard-apps/

Bellingcat posted:

...the flashcards studied by soldiers tasked with guarding these devices reveal not just the bases, but even identify the exact shelters with “hot” vaults that likely contain nuclear weapons.

They also detail intricate security details and protocols such as the positions of cameras, the frequency of patrols around the vaults, secret duress words that signal when a guard is being threatened and the unique identifiers that a restricted area badge needs to have.

:pseudo:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

PurpleXVI posted:

"Whatever happens, we have got
the Maxim gun, and they have not."

—Hilaire Belloc, one year before the Boer War

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Powered Descent posted:

And then there were the soldiers who were cramming to learn all the security protocols for guarding the US nuclear weapons that are based in Europe. So they put all of the top-secret info they had to learn into one of those make-your-own-flash-cards learning apps. And left the card decks publicly visible to other app users.

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2021/05/28/us-soldiers-expose-nuclear-weapons-secrets-via-flashcard-apps/

yeah that’s my favourite one of these. just amazing

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Powered Descent posted:

I have often found these in search results while trying to look up guides for doing stuff in DCS, a combat flight sim.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Warthundering before it was cool.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I suppose it's adjacent news since they've been one of Russia's staunch allies and the main reason why Russia can mob Ukrainian air defenses with drones on a near-daily basis, but Iran's president and foreign minister died in a helicopter crash yesterday. No sign of foreign interference or foul play, apparently they just flew in an old model of helicopter through a real pea souper of a mountain fog after visiting another genocide-happy nation(Azerbaijan).

Not shedding a whole lot of tears.

On the other hand, it sadly looks like Fico will make it, but I can't imagine he's going to be back in politics for a while even if he manages to pull through with his guts full of lead like the doctors seem to currently be expecting. I do wonder what the effects on Slovakian politics will be, whether it'll be a pro-EU move from people when a pro-Russian assassin tries to blast their PM, or a pro-Russian move due to sympathy for Fico and actually listening to the dogshit his party members are spewing about how "the liberals did this ; _ ;"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

PurpleXVI posted:

No sign of foreign interference

america did this

by not letting Bell sell them parts

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I think the East Azerbaijan they were visiting was the Iranian province, not the eastern portion of the country of Azerbaijan.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Yup just gonna fly this helicopter into a mountain range in extremely dense fog of literally 10 feet visibility per pictures of the rescue operation

Wtf were they thinking

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

OctaMurk posted:

Yup just gonna fly this helicopter into a mountain range in extremely dense fog of literally 10 feet visibility per pictures of the rescue operation

Wtf were they thinking

I would guess it involved the VIPs pressuring the pilots into a poor decision.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

OddObserver posted:

I would guess it involved the VIPs pressuring the pilots into a poor decision.

Never happened before, zero precedent for what you're saying here.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The pilots had their IFR, how could this have happened ?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Discussion Quorum posted:

I think the East Azerbaijan they were visiting was the Iranian province, not the eastern portion of the country of Azerbaijan.

lmao, I will admit to that error, I had no idea that there was an East Azerbaijan province to confuse it for.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I would love to see a Map Men video on provinces that are named after countries, but located inside different countries, just to confuse people who aren't familiar with the geography. Inner Mongolia is another example, there's a Belgian province called Luxembourg, there's a province in northwest Bulgaria called Montana, etc.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I would love to see a Map Men video on provinces that are named after countries, but located inside different countries, just to confuse people who aren't familiar with the geography. Inner Mongolia is another example, there's a Belgian province called Luxembourg, there's a province in northeast Bulgaria called Montana, etc.

Not to mention Macedonia-in-Greece.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Georgia in the US

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Georgia in the US

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=ht...024121879d40a6c

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

There's a small town in eastern Ukraine called New York that has been repeatedly bombed by Russia, I wonder how many people from NYC saw a headline about it somewhere and jumped on message boards to ask where the nearest air raid shelter is located.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

e: i can; t read

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I would love to see a Map Men video on provinces that are named after countries, but located inside different countries, just to confuse people who aren't familiar with the geography. Inner Mongolia is another example, there's a Belgian province called Luxembourg, there's a province in northwest Bulgaria called Montana, etc.

Cities, but Florida has a streak of towns on its west coast named places like Odessa and Saint Petersburg. One of the rail magnates responsible for building the rail lines down Florida's Gulf Coast was an immigrant from Russia who named stops on the rail line after places from his homeland.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Georgia in the US

There's also that place called New Mexico, which used to be part of old Mexico, and is located right next to Mexico.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

cult_hero posted:

There's also that place called New Mexico, which used to be part of old Mexico, and is located right next to Mexico.

Having grown up partly there, lemme tell you how confused people who don't know about New Mexico get at a lily white kid with no Spanish accent telling them she is from there. It's a sad indictment of our nation

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Cities, but Florida has a streak of towns on its west coast named places like Odessa and Saint Petersburg. One of the rail magnates responsible for building the rail lines down Florida's Gulf Coast was an immigrant from Russia who named stops on the rail line after places from his homeland.

I wonder which St. Peterburg had more slave labor involved.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

OddObserver posted:

I wonder which St. Peterburg had more slave labor involved.

The first one. I'm not saying there wasn't any in the US area, but it wasnt founded until 1888.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Wyoming (the US state) is named after a valley in Pennsylvania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cythereal posted:

one of the earliest instances of leetspeak I'm aware of is a nothing little town nearby here that didn't even merit a name when the railroad first came through, they just labeled it CL-10 on the map and it was such a featureless void of charisma everyone ran with it and started saying "Clio" out loud