Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I don't understand why when you look on real estate sites like Zillow, you don't even see pictures of the garage. Every other conceivable part of the house, but god forbid they take even one photo of the inside (or even the FRONT) of a garage. I get that "kitchens and bathrooms sell houses," but I can replace a kitchen or bathroom. I can't replace a garage.

We're moving and I'm tired of seeing houses with tiny/no garages making me feel like I'll have to play automotive musical chairs for the rest of my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shelvocke posted:

Me and my partner just bought a house, and you would not believe how deaf estate agents are when you say a garage is mandatory

I’ve been looking at a new place and am encountering the same. “Garage” seems to translate into anything between those godawful covered parking spots that seemed to be popular on 50s and 60s homes and those crappy plastic garden sheds you buy at Home Depot. The ones that do have an actual garage attached, I find that the garage is super claustrophobic and could be classified as a coffin for your car at best.

My price range doesn’t seem to include a two car garage with a high enough ceiling to do anything reasonable. Maybe I should be looking at garages with room for a bed.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The real estate site over here has a "Garage / parking spot" category, so it can be anything from "attached workshop with lift and pinup posters" to "you can park in the street outside but please click my ad please". Pics of garages used to be very rare, but seems to be more common now with EV chargers being mentioned specifically as well.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Strife posted:

We're moving and I'm tired of seeing houses with tiny/no garages making me feel like I'll have to play automotive musical chairs for the rest of my life.

Well get ready to.

Back in the early 00’s when I had an apartment/dorm with no garage and only a parking space I thought “wow when I get a single car garage I can finally stop wrenching on my bike only during the day in the summer and I’ll have more room than a parking spot and I’ll be good”

When I finally got a rental with a single car garage o thought “someday I’ll have a two car garage so I don’t have to contort my body like Katherine Zeta Jones dipping beneath lasers to get in and out of my car around the bikes and I can work without pulling the car out and I’ll be good”

When I finally got a two car garage I thought “well this is the same problem as the single car garage now that I live with my girlfriend, but a 3 car garage will be perfect”

And now that I have a 3 car, I’ve filled it with cars, bikes, bicycles and a riding mower and I’m STILL playing vehicular musical chairs.

What I’m saying is, like a goldfish, you will always grow to the size of your garage and unless you spring for a pole barn, will always feel cramped. Accept it and embrace the crampedness

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I’ve been looking at a new place and am encountering the same. “Garage” seems to translate into anything between those godawful covered parking spots that seemed to be popular on 50s and 60s homes and those crappy plastic garden sheds you buy at Home Depot. The ones that do have an actual garage attached, I find that the garage is super claustrophobic and could be classified as a coffin for your car at best.

My price range doesn’t seem to include a two car garage with a high enough ceiling to do anything reasonable. Maybe I should be looking at garages with room for a bed.

If you'd like to move to Maine, I recently found this garage with land for a house for sale: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/24-Pine-St-South-Berwick-ME-03908/304009217_zpid/

It seems like most houses in the US have two cars in the driveway with their two car garage full of junk that doesn't get used.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Strife posted:

I don't understand why when you look on real estate sites like Zillow, you don't even see pictures of the garage. Every other conceivable part of the house, but god forbid they take even one photo of the inside (or even the FRONT) of a garage. I get that "kitchens and bathrooms sell houses," but I can replace a kitchen or bathroom. I can't replace a garage.

Oh my god this. I think I've seen one interior garage picture ever and it was like a goddamn tetris board filled with junk (I assume most garages are the same and that's why nobody posts pictures of them :v:)

I'd like an internal garage for convenience but given the size I'd need to really feel happy I'm also looking at every back yard I see with an eye of "I wonder how much garage I could fit in there".

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What I’m saying is, like a goldfish, you will always grow to the size of your garage and unless you spring for a pole barn, will always feel cramped. Accept it and embrace the crampedness

It never ends; my buddy built three increasingly large workshops and ended with a quonset hut the size of a small house. It still wasnt enough because he retired to be a bike mechanic and that place is completely slam full of bikes.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Deeters posted:

It seems like most houses in the US have two cars in the driveway with their two car garage full of junk that doesn't get used.
This is definitely the case in the neighborhoods I've seen, it's baffling to me how much this happens. Even in AZ, where heat is murderous in the summer, people let their vehicles sit out in the sun while the garage collects garbage.

Guess there's a reason why storage units are a billions of a dollars a year business.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Deeters posted:

If you'd like to move to Maine, I recently found this garage with land for a house for sale: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/24-Pine-St-South-Berwick-ME-03908/304009217_zpid/

Looking at US house prices makes me feel a little ill

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
In which direction? Coming from the UK, US house prices look relatively low to me. Can't imagine landing a barn like that for less than £250,000.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I was gonna say $125K for the land and that building seems like a really good price

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Strife posted:

You can replace a garage too, and often for less money than a kitchen or bathroom. Kitchens and bathrooms are loving expensive.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You can replace a garage too, and often for less money than a kitchen or bathroom. Kitchens and bathrooms are loving expensive.

I just meant that adding another garage bay or giving my garage a 14' ceiling would be a little more challenging than replacing cabinets.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

In which direction? Coming from the UK, US house prices look relatively low to me. Can't imagine landing a barn like that for less than £250,000.

Come to Los Angeles, our prices are ridiculous. There's an area near me that 20 years ago was where you could drink underage, but you faced a decently high chance of being robbed and/or shot if you walked around too much (the cops picked up my 16 year old friend who had left the bar to walk to get fast food and just drove him back to the bar for safety reasons). The same place where some guy with a family in his car got lost and drove down the wrong street only to get his car shot up. Now you can buy this 1,266 sq ft house for $975k, but at least they included garage pics.

(hipsters moved in and gentrified the place. Now I see "veganism is magic" and "dairy is scary" graffiti on the ground (seriously), whereas before that would have gotten you killed)

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Slavvy posted:

I've seen it a few times but it's always been daily ridden bikes with high mileage.

There's something I always wanted to ask whenever high mileage comes up.

What's the mileage you can realistically expect on a class of motorcycle these days? (Japanese 4 cylinder, etc.) That means before you are in for the big overhauls like engine internals or gearbox. Proper service intervals of course.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 28, 2020

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Combat Theory posted:

What's the mileage you can realistically expect on a class of motorcycle these days? (Japanese 4 cylinder, etc.) That means before you are in for the big overhauls like engine internals or gearbox. Proper service intervals of course.

It's hard to avoid generalizations here. Various things matter, I'd say more cylinders is better, being water-cooled is better, being under stressed (goes with having large displacement), having a long model run or being based on an older design. Something like a Bandit 1250 ticks all those boxes and can rack up car-like mileage. For something high-strung and harsh running like a KTM 690 or air-cooled Buell, 30k miles is a lot.

However though I'd be fine riding a 60k mile 1250 Bandit, fact is that you can usually easily find low-mileage bikes so there's not much point.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
I really want a 96 mile per gallon diesel bike:

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/us-marine-corps-has-%C2%A0jet-fuel-powered-motorcycle-158041

How would this even work? Of course it’s based on a KLR650, though.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.

Alamoduh posted:

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/us-marine-corps-has-%C2%A0jet-fuel-powered-motorcycle-158041

Ahhh, Fred Hayes. He was a dear friend. Died suddenly in the last year or two. His family bought a farm in rural America and now make bomb-rear end cinnamon rolls.

edit- https://www.facebook.com/hayesfamilyfarmandbakery/

Legit very good.

LodeRunner fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 28, 2020

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Welp, did a bit more bike shopping today. Went to look at the Benelli TRK 502, it's a lot of bike for very little money. However the controls feel very chinzy and cheap, as well as having that sorta 'cheaper but worse' sorta design. Scheduled a test ride for tomorrow, as it is an actual display bike or something. They also would take about two weeks to get me the color I want, but really I want a bike the day after tomorrow. Also went to try a 2007 V-Strom 650, liked it quite a bit, however the seat started bugging me after just a few meters, which means I had to let the best deal yet go. The guy is selling it for 3k flat, ABS, well maintained, no dings, it would have been the perfect beginner bike for me, but a seat I can't sit on is a deal breaker.

My plan is to see if I can find a Honda dealer with the bike I want that can get it ready for saturday. The one I testrode at said he can only do next week. The local one doesn't have any more CB500Xs and the importer is out until 2021...
So yeah, gonna see if ai can find one, if so I'll see if they give me the normal non-list price and then I'll just bite the bullet and go for it. If not, I'll try the Benelli, see how I like it and then decide if I want to
A) Buy Benelli (wrong color)
B) Buy a year old CB500X (wrong color, not much cheaper than new, will see about that price tho)
C) Wait until next week, but get the only bike I really clicked with so far, in the version I want it in.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
All motorcycle seats suck. It's an easy issue to fix and you have your choice of comfy aftermarket alternatives. The 650 Strom/sv is a bit too powerful for some beginners, and it's a semi heavy bike. The cb500x is lighter, carries it's weight low, and has forgiving power delivery.

I adore the vstrom, so if you love it and only had a problem with the seat then that's no big deal. Just know what you are getting into.

"Cheaper but worse" is such an amazing way to describe that sort of trash design. Love it.

Why do you need a bike in two days? Why do you need to buy new? Why are you compromising on a trash bike because they can get your color.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Alamoduh posted:

How it would work? It's just a diesel engine. I guess it reuses as much as it can from the OEM, then adds head, plumbing, injectors, piston etc. But it's a bit odd that he's written about it in the present tense. Here's a 12 year old news article about it: https://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/24/automobiles/24KAWASAKI.html

It's a funny coincidence, I thought about that exact bike just two or three days ago. It's the only diesel bike I've heard of I think.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

When I had a KLR I used to be able to get cheap replacement motor parts from Fred because he would essentially chuck the gas motors while replacing them with his diesel ones.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

Come to Los Angeles, our prices are ridiculous. There's an area near me that 20 years ago was where you could drink underage, but you faced a decently high chance of being robbed and/or shot if you walked around too much (the cops picked up my 16 year old friend who had left the bar to walk to get fast food and just drove him back to the bar for safety reasons). The same place where some guy with a family in his car got lost and drove down the wrong street only to get his car shot up. Now you can buy this 1,266 sq ft house for $975k, but at least they included garage pics.

(hipsters moved in and gentrified the place. Now I see "veganism is magic" and "dairy is scary" graffiti on the ground (seriously), whereas before that would have gotten you killed)

You are like tiny baby.

5x4 metres/215 square feet garage in Kennington, which is a nice-enough area by south London standards but it's not like it's under Buckingham Palace or anything. It's just the garage, there's no power, water or even drainage. Want to take a guess?

Ł85,000

Or how about :

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-91840877.html

A single parking spot. Not even a garage, just a spot in a car park, although it is in a nicer area - Knightsbridge, where most of the embassies are, just opposite Hyde Park and 5 minutes from Harrods.

Ł120,000

I can't find a listing for one at the moment but every once in a while a reserved, off-street but insecure outdoor parking spot comes up for sale on my estate, just next to Canary Wharf, and they generally go for around Ł10k.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Ola posted:

How it would work? It's just a diesel engine. I guess it reuses as much as it can from the OEM, then adds head, plumbing, injectors, piston etc. But it's a bit odd that he's written about it in the present tense. Here's a 12 year old news article about it: https://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/24/automobiles/24KAWASAKI.html

It's a funny coincidence, I thought about that exact bike just two or three days ago. It's the only diesel bike I've heard of I think.

I think National Interest is a clickbait site pretending to be something smarter. Here's an article (from the same author) using a screenshot from Ace Combat to talk about Israel.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ola posted:

I was gonna say, I've known about the diesel klr for as long as I've been riding. It'd be a deece mad max bike thanks to being able to run on anything but outside of the apocalypse I can't imagine particularly wanting one.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

The US and UK armies both played around with the concept for a while, re-engining the Armstrong MT series (standard-issue British military bike since the 1960s) so they didn't have to keep separate fuel stockpile and infrastructure - Harley actually supplied the engines, so just imagine a Harley-engined British diesel bike and then go drink heavily so you never have to think about it again.

ISTR the UK doesn't use bikes regularly any more but they do have a stash of diesel KLRs among other bikes for special purposes, presumably as some kind of initiation ritual for REME mechanics who get a bit too cocky.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

LodeRunner posted:

When I had a KLR I used to be able to get cheap replacement motor parts from Fred because he would essentially chuck the gas motors while replacing them with his diesel ones.

Did you ever try the diesel one?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Combat Theory posted:

It depends a lot on the bike but basically every Japanese i4 will last indefinitely. Perfectly good running bikes I have seen with an excess of 100,000km:
Vtr250
Cb250 hornet
Vfr400
Cbr400
Mt03
Sv650
R6 (the guy regularly did trackdays even)
Gsxr750
Goldwing (yeah cheating I know)
Zrx1200
Bandit 1200
Vfr800
Hayabusa
Zx14
Sportster
Bmw GS

Even the ones that weren't very well taken care of still ran pretty well, the completely hosed cosmetics and exhausted chassis parts were far more noticeable.

Having said that: never seen a KTM 390 or 690 make it past ~40,000 without something big making GBS threads itself. Never seen an air cooled ducati with high mileage, but I've also never seen one that was properly maintained so who knows. Never seen a 3 cylinder triumph make it to triple digits without something going wrong somewhere.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 28, 2020

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Ola posted:

Did you ever try the diesel one?

Sadly no.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Deeters posted:

I think National Interest is a clickbait site pretending to be something smarter. Here's an article (from the same author) using a screenshot from Ace Combat to talk about Israel.

https://twitter.com/daxe/status/1258159838225465346?s=20

I helped my former boss with the IT portions of his move from Butler's Wharf to St. Katharine Docks. The place at the docks was pretty unassuming, but I'm now wondering if he paid an astronomical sum for a two bedroom flat.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Slavvy posted:

It depends a lot on the bike but basically every Japanese i4 will last indefinitely. Perfectly good running bikes I have seen with an excess of 100,000km:
Vtr250
Cb250 hornet
Vfr400
Cbr400
Mt03
Sv650
R6 (the guy regularly did trackdays even)
Gsxr750
Goldwing (yeah cheating I know)
Zrx1200
Bandit 1200
Vfr800
Hayabusa
Zx14
Sportster
Bmw GS

Even the ones that weren't very well taken care of still ran pretty well, the completely hosed cosmetics and exhausted chassis parts were far more noticeable.

Having said that: never seen a KTM 390 or 690 make it past ~40,000 without something big making GBS threads itself. Never seen an air cooled ducati with high mileage, but I've also never seen one that was properly maintained so who knows. Never seen a 3 cylinder triumph make it to triple digits without something going wrong somewhere.

The MT03, if it's the single-cylinder, and the Sportster surprise me. I thought Sportsters needed a rebuild around 50k km.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It was the i2 mt03.

The sportster had made it to 180,000km, it was leaking out of every orifice but it was also very neglected.

Think of it this way: in a modem engine, fully warmed up, no metal parts touch each other. Everything is levitating on a cushion of oil, so wear only really happens on cold starts, or when the oil can't do it's job anymore, or when you're abusing the motor in a way it wasn't designed for. This is why taxis routinely do squillions of miles: they're always hot, they never get switched off, and they're always driven gently for maximum economy.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

I helped my former boss with the IT portions of his move from Butler's Wharf to St. Katharine Docks. The place at the docks was pretty unassuming, but I'm now wondering if he paid an astronomical sum for a two bedroom flat.

If it was actually inside the dock walls, yeah, north of a million at a minimum. Double or triple that if it's got a view of Tower Bridge. Mind you those first-wave warehouse conversions are *nice*, the lovely Baratt 80s new-builds between the dock and the old News Corp site are poo poo and still go for over a million. Even the loving terrible pre-war council flat in Wapping i was born in, with stunning views of a 30-foot high wall (a Grade I listed wall admittedly, but still a wall) went for over 500k just because it has that E1W postcode which definitely wasn't invented just to let yuppies pretend they didn't live in the east end.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

What a bunch of scumbags.

https://twitter.com/daxe/status/1260484907622707200

Goon Grover?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I got TKC-80s for my Himalayan, and I got the right size, but f'd up in that I got tube type for the rear tire, but the tubeless version up front.

Motherfuck, hate returning things this big. Correct tire ordered....

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 28, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nope, you can run tubeless tyres with or without a tube, you just can't run tube tyres without one.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Slavvy posted:

Nope, you can run tubeless tyres with or without a tube, you just can't run tube tyres without one.

Oh, gotcha, I was overthinking this when I saw people selling tubeless "conversion kits" like https://www.bikenbiker.com/products/outex-tubeless-kit-for-re-himalayan -- but I suppose that's just if you want to run tubeless tires without also running tubes in them?

I don't care about that I just want safer tires than I had, with no additional blowout risk.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Oh, gotcha, I was overthinking this when I saw people selling tubeless "conversion kits" like https://www.bikenbiker.com/products/outex-tubeless-kit-for-re-himalayan -- but I suppose that's just if you want to run tubeless tires without also running tubes in them?

I don't care about that I just want safer tires than I had, with no additional blowout risk.

I haven't seen this before and, well, it looks terrifying. Literally just super sticky tape to cover the spoke holes, might be the most mickey mouse thing I've seen since the shifter croc. Very on-brand for RE.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

I haven't seen this before and, well, it looks terrifying. Literally just super sticky tape to cover the spoke holes, might be the most mickey mouse thing I've seen since the shifter croc. Very on-brand for RE.

people use kits like that all the time for tubeless conversions when they convert stuff like takasagos to tubeless. I wouldn’t trust it at all though since the rim doesn’t have a safety bead :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Aren’t tubeless tire sidewalls stiffer, so harder to get on and off the rim without a tire press?

I think I have experienced this using tire irons to change tires, though it may just be the tires itself (heidenaus, ughhhhh).