Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I guess it makes sense in whatever non-English speaking country they released it in but I can't help but think something like Mist Walker or Path of Mist would've been a better name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

al-azad posted:

I guess it makes sense in whatever non-English speaking country they released it in but I can't help but think something like Mist Walker or Path of Mist would've been a better name.

Agreed. Something like "From the Mist" / "Through the Mists" would make a lot more sense. Yeah, a name for a game is not a dealbreaker of course, but as something being marketed at a store it's a bad call to use a word with so much space connotations.

SirFelixCat
Apr 8, 2016

They say an elephant never forgets the first time they got company dumped.

Trynant posted:

Nah, I'm completely in the boat for exploring outside the top games. I just don't expect too much of the thread to appreciate brutal economic games as much as a few of us do :)

And yes, your podcast accounts for a lot of recent purchases. Thanks for the heads up on 1844/54 at gamesurplus, you monsters.

EDIT: Side note, why on earth am I defending basically being against my own tastes in gaming again? Play more 18XX's you non-believers.

:love:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Trynant posted:

Agreed. Something like "From the Mist" / "Through the Mists" would make a lot more sense. Yeah, a name for a game is not a dealbreaker of course, but as something being marketed at a store it's a bad call to use a word with so much space connotations.

Through the Mists is a Good Name.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

This whole argument seems a little disingenuous. I've been reading "Via Nebula" in this thread the last week and I assumed it was a space game.

I'm a linguist.

I concur, I finally searched for it last night after reading through the conversations and was disappointed to find fat anime characters instead of spase mans.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Terra Mystica is what a friend named Via Nebula.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Some Numbers posted:

Through the Mists is a Good Name.

Through the Mists, a Story of Mistborn

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Please kickstart my new game Milky Way Space Ships, which is about optimally packing milk cartons into limited storage space and then finding an optimal delivery route by which to transport them.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Deus Ex: the boardgame

Oh you thought it was what? Lol no

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Mister Sinewave posted:

It's a Christian propaganda video, isn't it?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

It's a dexterity game about lowering meeples onto a stage with a crane.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Via Nebula more like Fog of Yore

Hauki
May 11, 2010

cenotaph posted:

It's a dexterity game about lowering meeples onto a stage with a crane.

This would own. Writing up my kickstarter pitch now.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Hauki posted:

This would own. Writing up my kickstarter pitch now.

I'm pretty sure you could reskin Loopin' Louie and make the big bucks.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Trynant posted:

I'm pretty sure you could reskin Loopin' Louie and make the big bucks.

Loopin' Chewie would be perfect if it supported 4 players like the original :smith:

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Mister Sinewave posted:

On the last turn, deal a God card to determine the winner.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

canyoneer posted:

Loopin' Chewie would be perfect if it supported 4 players like the original :smith:

It's funny. This hasn't made the cut in the last few game nights I've been to for this very reason, despite the fact that I've never had a miss when I've introduced it to people.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

canyoneer posted:

Loopin' Louie already supports 4. Loopin' Chewie's justification for existing is supporting 3 players.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
Any thoughts on Isle of Skye?

I really need a gateway game that I actually like playing. Could this fill that role?

Nique
May 18, 2006

lordsummerisle posted:

Any thoughts on Isle of Skye?

I really need a gateway game that I actually like playing. Could this fill that role?

It's one of my favourite light/mid games. Got around ~20 games in since I got it a few months ago. My regular gaming group primarily plays mid to heavy euros and this is now our most popular game when we need something that clocks in at around an hour or less.

It plays with a nice flow - Draw 3 tiles, secretly set the price of 2 tiles (using as much of your available cash as you want) and 'axe' the 3rd one. Everyone reveals their prices when ready. Go around the table clockwise from first player, each player having the chance to buy 1 tile from other players, or pass. After every player has bought a tile or passed any unpurchased tiles you own you have to keep, and the price you set for them goes to the bank. Add them to your island. Score the round.

The game scales well (played it with every player count from 3-5) and the time doesn't go up by much. The way the scoring criteria changes as the rounds progress makes timing matter, which I also like. Variability in the scoring setup means that there are no 'good' and 'bad' tiles in general, just better or worse for each specific game.

There's a catchup mechanic in the game which I guess some people may not be a fan of, but in my opinion it's not that strong.

Nique fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 14, 2016

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

House Louse posted:

On the last turn, deal a God card to determine the winner.

Stop stealing mechanics from Talisman!!!

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Undead Hippo posted:

Bankruptcy is triggered when after production you still do not have the money to pay for actions. If bankruptcy is triggered action discs are removed from controlled sectors and placed back on the track until the cost is sufficiently low to be paid for.

A lot of III tiles will have no money planets, or no planets at all. It is worth it to grab those tiles for the discovery bonus, trigger bankruptcy and then grab back the influence disc that was used to control the sector. Indeed, not doing that will probably mean that you have to spend an influence action later on.

Should the majority of your turn 1 actions be exploring, and then just try to reclaim as many disks as possible? Are there times where you actually want to leave your disks on a hex early on? You specifically mention money planets-- are they the only ones worth colonizing early game?

How do you feel about going for sector III vs sector I tiles early game? The two previous people who gave advice seemed to say different things about going for sector I vs. III tiles early on.

Also when doing a virtual fleet type of strategy, how do you deal with ancients? Do you just prioritize 1-2 early upgrades that are good at dealing with them, and then have like a 1-2 ship army that can fight them, but no more?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 14, 2016

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Megasabin posted:

Should the majority of your turn 1 actions be exploring, and then just try to reclaim as many disks as possible? How do you feel about going for sector III vs sector I tiles early game? The two previous people who gave advice seemed to say different things about going for sector I vs. III tiles early on.

You specifically mention money planets. Are they the only ones worth colonizing early on?

On turn 1 there will be very little to do other than exploration. Some races can do weird technology plays (Like a Hydran might grab Robotics on T1, or an Eridani might do a lot of things), but for the most part you just want to spend Turn 1 grabbing Sector III tiles, and working out your backline.

You can go for Sector 1 very early (but probably not on turn 1), but you are much more likely to have to fight to get it, and fight to keep it. Sector I vs. Sector III is a matter of how aggressive a game you want. Sector I is where a lot of combat will happen, it has better planets, but more frequent Ancients.

Money planets are the only ones that will specifically figure into bankruptcy. All planets are worth colonizing. If you're short on colony ships or get a white planet and need to make a choice, then consider whether the technology or production will let you take a specific action next turn (e.g. Grab Robotics, Make a dreadnought) and if not then take money.

quote:

Also when doing a virtual fleet type of strategy, how do you deal with ancients? Do you just prioritize 1-2 early upgrades that are good at dealing with them, and then have like a 1-2 ship army that can fight them, but no more?

Yep. 2 base cruisers with a +1 computers upgrade are very likely to kill an ancient without taking any casualties.

Undead Hippo fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 14, 2016

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Undead Hippo posted:

Money planets are the only ones that will specifically figure into bankruptcy. All planets are worth colonizing.

What does this mean? I thought the idea of bankruptcy is that you pull your disk from undesirable hexes, meaning you wouldn't colonize them. Is every hex with a planet worth colonizing then, even if it just has 1 planet?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Megasabin posted:

What does this mean? I thought the idea of bankruptcy is that you pull your disk from undesirable hexes, meaning you wouldn't colonize them. Is every hex with a planet worth colonizing then, even if it just has 1 planet?

It means that a hex without an orange planet is less valuable than a planet with one, so you're more likely to want to abandon a hex with just science planets.

Unless you're Hydran.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
What are some good, lighter (closer to Love Letter than War of the Ring), but not truly filler 2p games I can get to bring to events where I might want to have board game + conversation with just 1 person?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Patchwork is excellent. I also liked twilight squabble.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
7 Wonders Duel
Patchwork
Jaipur
Carcassonne
Agricola All Creatures Big & Small (different game from Agricola)
The Duke
Splendor
Valley of the Kings

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
3rding Patchwork.

Taluva
Hive

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Megasabin posted:

You can only colonise three (or in one case four) planets in a turn without taking an Influence action. The main reason to influence hexes without economic worlds is so you can explore more hexes without moving fleets.

I would disagree that you never research on turn 1, though. It is always worth researching Advanced Robotics if it's there, because it's cheap (5-6 research depending on race) and it gives you the influence disc straight back again.

minute
Jul 31, 2003

Battle Line - Extremely simple rules, but the pacing of the game is fantastic. You feel more and more tension as the game goes on, and unlike a lot of other euros, instead of "well, I guess that's it, let's count points and see who won", the victory condition is clear and so the ending is always a tense competition to see who can capture the last flag they need.

Patchwork and Jaipur are fun too, but a lot more laid back.

Hive (or preferably Hive Pocket) is great for being extremely portable, light, with a fast play time but still plenty of room for strategy.

Mottainai has a pretty small foot print, and a ton of depth. It'll take 2 or 3 plays to even begin wrapping your head around it, but extremely worth it afterwards.

minute fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 14, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Toshimo posted:

What are some good, lighter (closer to Love Letter than War of the Ring), but not truly filler 2p games I can get to bring to events where I might want to have board game + conversation with just 1 person?

13 Days is 13 minute Twilight Struggle.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I think my group is going to be busting open my new copy of Scythe tonight.

For those of you who have played already, any tips or suggestions on teaching it? I'm going to be going over the Watch it Played video and the rules all day but can always use suggestions; I'm not the best game teacher usually.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Definitely Battle Line and Hive, they're some of the only fast 2P games that have stayed in my collection over the years.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Aerox posted:

For those of you who have played already, any tips or suggestions on teaching it? I'm going to be going over the Watch it Played video and the rules all day but can always use suggestions; I'm not the best game teacher usually.

I Watched Rodney's video one time and that was pretty much enough for me to teach it without much issue. It's surprisingly not as complicated as it looks, in my eyes anyway. Here's the order I'd cover things based on my first time teaching/playing:

> Tell people how to win (have the most $ at the end game)
> Show people the primary ways they will earn money at the end of the game (Stars, Territories, and Resources relative to the Popularity track, +Structure bonuses which you can point to but circle back to later).
> Tell people how the game ends (one player placing their 6th star on the achievement track)
> Explain that all players have the same 8 action options to choose from on their turns, but are paired up differently in the 4 sections of the Player Boards (the one without the mechs). Explain that on your turn you choose 1 section, and perform either Top, Bottom, both in Top>Bottom order, or none of the actions.
> Explain the Top Row:
*Explain the Move action. This is the lengthiest single action to explain because a lot is tied to it. Explain specifics such as Encounter tokens, restrictions like moving over rivers/lakes (unless otherwise allowed by a power), explain combat rules, and how Power & Combat Cards are spent, etc. Explain how territory control works here (units or structures [advise will be explained later] grant you territory control, but a unit trumps structures). Explain the Factory in the middle of the board being worth 3 territories at the end of the game, and the way you can earn a Factory card as a new action.
*Explain the Bolster action, now that they know how combat works and what Power is used for.
*Explain the Produce action, and how resources are placed in territories, and spent from them as well.
*Explain the Trade action, and how it is useful vs Produce, especially when starting, to get specific resources they may not have access to in their immediate area.
> Explain the Bottom Row, advising that costs for these actions are asymmetrical across the Player boards:
*Explain the Upgrade action.
*Explain the Deploy action, and mention the asymmetry of the Faction board's Mech bonuses.
*Explain the Build action, and what each Structure does for you. Good time to circle back to the Structure bonus tile used during end game scoring.
*Explain the Enlist action.
>Recap each of the 10 options for placing stars on the board, including an explanation of the 2 hidden Objective cards players start with.
>Go around announcing each Faction's unique ability on the top-right of their Faction board.

That should pretty much cover everything, and take ~30 minutes or so. From there just have the rules handy for reference as you go. We only had to look up a couple clarifying things following more-or-less the above structure to teach with.

Merauder fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 14, 2016

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Aerox posted:

I've only had the game for a week, but here are a few strategic tips I'd mention:

Although getting 6 stars triggers the end game and stars are worth points, being the first to get to 6 does not guarantee you'll win.

The popularity bonus can make a huge difference.

Make sure you diversify. Holding lots of territory is as important for scoring as getting stars.

Getting 1 or 2 mechs quickly is more important for mobility than for combat.

Having more mechs in combat is no advantage unless you have at least as many combat cards.

Try to plan your turns so you can take both the top and bottom actions.

Just because you can afford both actions doesn't mean you should always take both, particularly toward the end of the game.

You're allowed to take a bottom action just for the coins, even if you've already maxed out mechs, buildings, etc.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Aerox posted:

I don't usually like videos but the Watch it Played was good and concise. If your group is OK with it, give it a go. It walks you through setup, too.

The player aid cards (2 for each player) have a decent quickstart for the first few turns on them, basic "so what should I do?" wise.

Absolutely take the rule book's suggestion that part-way through the game, do a mock counting up of "final" score as the board stands so people can see how scoring works. (Stars are worth the most, but there are only max 6 -- territory is worth almost as much as stars and you can hold more than 6. Military might is useless for scoring.)

Remember to ALWAYS do actions in the order shown, top to bottom. e.g. Pay the red cost of an action FIRST, then get the green benefits. You can take partial benefit of an action you've paid for.

If anyone has well over 75 coins (or 100+) then you are almost certainly doing something wrong.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Bottom Liner posted:

7 Wonders Duel
Patchwork
Jaipur
Carcassonne
Agricola All Creatures Big & Small (different game from Agricola)
The Duke
Splendor
Valley of the Kings

Which of these are the meatiest in your opinion?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Probably Agricola, because it's a full worker placement and has lots of wooden bits to manage. Great game though, it's more of a Caverna-Agricola hybrid than Agricola lite. That's with one of the expansions though, the base game only has like 5 room tiles to expand your farm, whereas the expansions each add like 25-30.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

For shame there's no Biblios in that list.