Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Niton posted:

Robo Rosewater created a thing today:

https://twitter.com/RoboRosewater/status/758735050724679680

Does this work? I feel like it works, and that's kinda hilarious.

It doesn't work because additional costs can't target. It would work if it said "destroy an artifact" but it would be weird (for example, you wouldn't be able to choose an indestructible artifact with it like you could with shatter).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

cheetah7071 posted:

It doesn't work because additional costs can't target. It would work if it said "destroy an artifact" but it would be weird (for example, you wouldn't be able to choose an indestructible artifact with it like you could with shatter).

There's no inherent rules reason additional costs can't target, it just hasn't ever been done. So long as you can pick a legal target for the additional cost the spell should be castable (indestructible or not). That said it would be really weird and super powerful.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Assuming that the additional cost works as worded, that's just an uncounterable "W: destroy target artifact", right?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

C-Euro posted:

Assuming that the additional cost works as worded, that's just an uncounterable "W: destroy target artifact", right?

Not only is it uncounterable, I don't think it even passes priority.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

C-Euro posted:

It's an un-respondable destroy target artifact. Imagine remanding your own copy :allears:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Skyl3lazer posted:

There's no inherent rules reason additional costs can't target, it just hasn't ever been done. So long as you can pick a legal target for the additional cost the spell should be castable (indestructible or not). That said it would be really weird and super powerful.

So then you'd pick the artifact in step 3 (601.2c) and then destroy it in step 8 (601.2h) of casting a spell? I guess I don't see anything offhand that would prevent that.

However, if you choose an indestructible target, everything will get rewound and the spell un-cast because you are incapable of paying the cost (an indestructible permanent that gets hit with a destroy effect is never actually destroyed, so the cost isn't paid). This means that the spell will never actually resolve, either, because in order to cast it, you have to destroy its target, thus causing it to be countered by the game's rules when it goes to resolve.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 28, 2016

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
It is at this point that MTGO crashes to desktop

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Just pulled a pack to start back into mtg, got elder deep fried. What decks want that goober?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I really want to try and process some spells exiled with Spell Queller but excepting Wasteland Strangler there aren't really any good options. Also anything trying to do cute small-value interactions will probably just get rolled over by bant right now. :(
I'm gonna do this with Void Attendant because 2G for a 2/3 isn't bad and if it turns out it is then I'll just side in stuff every game 2+. v:shobon:v

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Just pulled a pack to start back into mtg, got elder deep fried. What decks want that goober?

There's an emerge deck out there. I don't know if it's more cute than good, but it looks fun.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Valuetown 3 drop into Elder Deep Fried as a 4 Drop into Eldritch Evolution 9 drop seems really fun

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

I want a pro team to reenact the written test from naruto during the inevitable return to Kamigawa Japan-ninja-samurai-foxgirl^______^ land.

I hope they do a return to Kamigawa, but not tell anybody it's like actually was a return to Kamigawa until the set. Either some scheme like that or Phyrexia visits the Place is the only way we will see that plane again.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Nomadic Scholar posted:

If you're looking to get started ASAP there were some UR emerge lists that were floating around before eldritch moon dropped. But I would wait before going into any decks if you're looking to be competitive. Watch pro tour Sydney in a week and change and pick which deck you like the best in coverage and go from there.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

anglachel posted:

I hope they do a return to Kamigawa, but not tell anybody it's like actually was a return to Kamigawa until the set. Either some scheme like that or Phyrexia visits the Place is the only way we will see that plane again.

A set name like Arte Fabrica or something that doesn't reference Phyrexia at all and then when we get there it's just a plane dominated by some weird loving science demons/oni who've stripmined it into some weird experimentation / factory plane and then its revealed in set 2 that they're taking orders from Phyrexia and the Kami are basically guerrilla fighters trying to rescue the cattle-like humans, snakefolk, etc, would be fuckin cool.

So they won't do that.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Sigma-X posted:

Valuetown 3 drop into Elder Deep Fried as a 4 Drop into Eldritch Evolution 9 drop seems really fun

actually it would get you into a 10 drop, so Elder Deep Fried goes right into Ulamog.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Elblanco posted:

actually it would get you into a 10 drop, so Elder Deep Fried goes right into Ulamog.

I forgot his emerge was cheaper than his actual CMC.

that seems ok

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Sigma-X posted:

I forgot his emerge was cheaper than his actual CMC.

that seems ok

Yea, turn 5 Ulamog is just OK.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Ulamog is definitely a lot worse when you're not getting the on-cast trigger.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Jabor posted:

A 10/10 indestructible that you can't chump is still very good.

...in a world without Reflector Mage.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Jabor posted:

drat, I forgot that the trigger was on cast, yea not quite as good, but not terrible.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Elblanco posted:

I'd rather get Atarka if you're gonna do that.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I don't play standard but yeah, there are a lot better board affecting options than Ulamog.

The nice thing about that line though is that you can cram 3-5 targets into that deck rather easily with different uses.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

I'd rather get Atarka if you're gonna do that.

You would be surprised. I once suggested Atarka to a guy playing Nahiri in a Naya deck with no real targets and he scoffed at the idea of playing it.

Some people don't like dragons that swing for 8 and eat 5 toughness of creatures.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

You would be surprised. I once suggested Atarka to a guy playing Nahiri in a Naya deck with no real targets and he scoffed at the idea of playing it.

Some people don't like dragons that swing for 8 and eat 5 toughness of creatures.

Well that is one of the reasons Nahiri isn't nearly as good in Standard since you don't have anything to get that just wins the game.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
For those of you into playmats, Rob Alexander announced on his Facebook page today that his dual land, Ravnica land, and other illustrations will be available as playmats soon.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Star Man posted:

For those of you into playmats, Rob Alexander announced on his Facebook page today that his dual land, Ravnica land, and other illustrations will be available as playmats soon.

Oh poo poo he did the Urza block Plains? Those might be my favorite basic lands ever, I love my GTC Godless Shrine mat but one of those would be incredibly tempting.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

C-Euro posted:

Oh poo poo he did the Urza block Plains? Those might be my favorite basic lands ever, I love my GTC Godless Shrine mat but one of those would be incredibly tempting.

Rob Alexander has done a lot of things.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

A set name like Arte Fabrica or something that doesn't reference Phyrexia at all and then when we get there it's just a plane dominated by some weird loving science demons/oni who've stripmined it into some weird experimentation / factory plane and then its revealed in set 2 that they're taking orders from Phyrexia and the Kami are basically guerrilla fighters trying to rescue the cattle-like humans, snakefolk, etc, would be fuckin cool.

So they won't do that.

Me and a friend were talking and ironically Kamigawa might be the plane best equipped to fight Phyrexia. Spirits don't care about Infect (cause they will just kill themselves and respawn), and Warriors with First Strike are less susceptible to it. Plus all the anti spirit exile stuff works pretty well on infected stuff too.

But the idea of doing a Return but taking advantage of the fact that it's thousands of years in the future for Kamigawa and hundreds of years for Dominara, Rath, and other old school planes to hide the fact that it's a Return till like the second set seems like it could be cool.

Like Kamigawa should be pretty much unrecognizable at this point. Other than Moonfolk, and Akki, and the other races still being there. And they could easily say the super insular and reclusive Moonfolk kept closer to the old ways.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Star Man posted:

This has been true for a little while at least, I have a signed Taiga playmat from him already

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Skyl3lazer posted:

This has been true for a little while at least, I have a signed Taiga playmat from him already

Does that art look as amazing in person on a playmat as I think it will?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Dehtraen posted:

Does that art look as amazing in person on a playmat as I think it will?

They look great on playmats. Even some of the more subdued ones like savannah have a bit more color to them than they do on the cards and look great blown up. The one I bought from him at GP Charlotte was also really thick too.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

If they kept the setting and just never printed another arcane spell ever again, I'd be fine.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Nomadic Scholar posted:

If they kept the setting and just never printed another arcane spell ever again, I'd be fine.

Would probably happen if we did go back. WotC has learned a thing or two about parasitic mechanics and how not to print them. Mostly.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

Would probably happen if we did go back. WotC has learned a thing or two about parasitic mechanics and how not to print them. Mostly.

....As long as you ignore all of BFZ.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
Is Meld a parasitic mechanic? It's bad imo.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Henron posted:

The fact that there are only three Meld pairs (and only one with any cards below rare) seems to me to indicate that they figured out early on it should be a fun one-off gimmick for the wacky body horror set and not a well to plan on returning to. How appropriate that the Lovecraftian corruption set would have the most deliberately parasitic mechanic yet!

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 29, 2016

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Henron posted:

By some definitions yeah, but it's really not the same. Parasitic mechanics are bad because they push people away from interesting deckbuilding choices - with something like Arcane, most of your deck has to be related to the mechanic, leaving you not much room for anything interesting. With Meld, it's such a tiny part of your deck that it doesn't really constrain what you do with the rest of your cards.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Henron posted:

It's a little more parasitic than Kookus and his Keeper.

Also meld is clearly super sweet. :colbert:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Henron posted:

Not really, no. A mechanic is only parasitic if it's useless outside of a specific environment. The meld cards would be good in any environment -- turns out that a 9/10 Flying First Strike Vigilance Lifelink that also shuts down small spells is good regardless of what other cards are available. It's true that both halves of the same meld need to be legal for melding to happen, so the meld clause on Gisela would be useless if Bruna were not legal, but that's typically not seen as enough to make a mechanic parasitic. A mechanic is parasitic if it expects a whole class of cards to exist in, or be absent from, the environment, and "cards named Bruna" isn't exactly a broad class of cards.

It's okay, though. You can think something is bad without finding a Maro-approved buzzword to justify why it's bad.

Jabor posted:

By some definitions yeah, but it's really not the same. Parasitic mechanics are bad because they push people away from interesting deckbuilding choices - with something like Arcane, most of your deck has to be related to the mechanic, leaving you not much room for anything interesting. With Meld, it's such a tiny part of your deck that it doesn't really constrain what you do with the rest of your cards.

That's more about being linear than being parasitic, which is an overlapping concept but not quite the same. Splice is linear because it asks you to fill your deck with arcane spells; it is parasitic because the arcane spells it looks for are absent everywhere except Kamigawa block. "Counter target arcane spell" is not linear but it is parasitic, since it doesn't affect the rest of your deckbuilding but it does expect arcane spells to be around; "Humans you control get +1/+1" is not parasitic but it is linear, since humans are in every set but it does ask you to fill your deck with humans.

You're right that meld certainly isn't a linear mechanic. Any given meld pair can't affect more than 8 of your slots, and having one meld pair doesn't encourage you to include additional meld pairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What was parasitic in BFZ?

e: other than Allies

• Locked thread