Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Lodin posted:

CK3 releases today. Hopin it's good.

Omg, what game is this? I'm guessing Crusader Kings 2 from "CK3"? There was a picture of it someone posted ages ago that was like,

"Richard Demuebre, has slain the coward Richard Demuebre, when he caught him disguised as Richard Demuebre!" -Richard Demuebre

That made me lol, and I could never find it again.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Sep 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The meme is roger muirebe

And yeah CK3 launches today and is on gamepass if you'd like to play it for 1-5 dollars

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i wish i had the mind for grognard games but i just don't. crusader kings or europa universalis or something looks cool as a concept but whenever i try to play it feels like i just booted up shingen the ruler or some poo poo

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Rutibex posted:

we both know Paradox games are not worth playing

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Australians are still being protected from giving Paradox money for it on Steam I see.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I made a lot of money on the Paradox Interactive stock when it launched here in Sweden

Then I lost all of it

That's my story

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

i wish i had the mind for grognard games but i just don't. crusader kings or europa universalis or something looks cool as a concept but whenever i try to play it feels like i just booted up shingen the ruler or some poo poo

crusader kings and EU are not "games", they are complex simulations. like The Sims. its not like Civilization where you are supposed to "win" or whatever. you are just supposed to screw around and see what the system spits out

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Collapsing Farts posted:

I made a lot of money on the Paradox Interactive stock when it launched here in Sweden

Then I lost all of it

That's my story

But did you seduce the Pope?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

crusader kings and EU are not "games", they are complex simulations. like The Sims. its not like Civilization where you are supposed to "win" or whatever. you are just supposed to screw around and see what the system spits out

My problem with them is that the UI feels like it’s intentionally obtuse and designed more to not piss off long-time fans than actually be usable or approachable.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Barudak posted:

The meme is roger muirebe

And yeah CK3 launches today and is on gamepass if you'd like to play it for 1-5 dollars

Yesssssssss!!! Thankyou! I dunno why I find it so funny, it's so dumb. Sick, yeah, it does actually sound really chill and good! Might well give it a go.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

!Klams posted:

Yesssssssss!!! Thankyou! I dunno why I find it so funny, it's so dumb. Sick, yeah, it does actually sound really chill and good! Might well give it a go.

Are you doing a bit or something?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

It's a walk in the park compared to actual grognard games where you pay $150 to use NATO symbols to spend 80 hours reliving some WW2 battle no one actually remembers.

I couldn't get into Crusader Kings 2 until I followed some lets play more or less exactly to get a feel for the game.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Five lines a day.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Chomp8645 posted:

Sorry, am I posting like an idiot? I'm honestly this awful. And painfully unaware.

Unpopular opinion: Zombies Ate my Neighbours just wasn't that fun. I'd be at parties (multiple, somehow) where that was all anyone wanted to play, despite Super Street Fighter 2 being an option, and I'll never understand it.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This guys impressions of Wasteland 3, his first propper CRPG are fun.
https://kotaku.com/wasteland-3-from-the-perspective-of-a-wasteland-newcom-1844909984

"At every turn, I found myself sorely missing the overwatch feature from Gears Tactics and XCOM."

At the end he goes on a tangent about the player being able to call a jonsing junkie "poor little twitch-head."

I'm actually surprised that he doesn't mention the parrot that tells you you're so ugly even a blind camel wouldn't gently caress you.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Weird that they didn't see the "ambush" option every character has, which is functionally the same as overwatch.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Lodin posted:

This guys impressions of Wasteland 3, his first propper CRPG are fun.
https://kotaku.com/wasteland-3-from-the-perspective-of-a-wasteland-newcom-1844909984

"At every turn, I found myself sorely missing the overwatch feature from Gears Tactics and XCOM."

At the end he goes on a tangent about the player being able to call a jonsing junkie "poor little twitch-head."

I'm actually surprised that he doesn't mention the parrot that tells you you're so ugly even a blind camel wouldn't gently caress you.

He unironically picked the "game reviewer" difficulty setting and still had a hard time with the game. Not having played the game, it's possible that he's right - some games are over-tuned and have opaque stat systems - but the review doesn't indicate that he understands the system well enough to complain about it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I dunno, I'd be willing to believe the new Wasteland game has confusing/poorly explained stats. I'd also be willing to believe that guy is just bad at videogames though :shrug:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

the "game reviewer" difficulty setting

lol

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Moon Monster posted:

I dunno, I'd be willing to believe the new Wasteland game has confusing/poorly explained stats. I'd also be willing to believe that guy is just bad at videogames though :shrug:

It’s a sequel to a game where Charisma was a trap stat for a smooth talking character, I’d be more surprised if it didn’t have badly explained stats.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
it turns out wasteland 3 is on xbox gamepass anyway so I guess I'll find out when it finishes downloading. Gamepass is the moviepass of games apparently.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Wasteland seems to aggressively hate the player and their time but if I ever won the lottery and became immortal or something I would probably play them and end up really enjoying them

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

!Klams posted:

Sorry, am I posting like an idiot? I'm honestly this awful. And painfully unaware.

Unpopular opinion: Zombies Ate my Neighbours just wasn't that fun. I'd be at parties (multiple, somehow) where that was all anyone wanted to play, despite Super Street Fighter 2 being an option, and I'll never understand it.

what kind of party focuses on people doing extremely two person activities?

yeah gently caress you I know what charades is

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

super smash tv is a much better game than zombies ate my neighbors

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

super smash tv is a much better game than zombies ate my neighbors

only if you play in turbo mode

regular smash tv is boring poo poo

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

it's fine. you get to shoot men

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My problem with them is that the UI feels like it’s intentionally obtuse and designed more to not piss off long-time fans than actually be usable or approachable.

maybe you're just dumb :shrug:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

turtles in time isnt a particularly good beat em up, its okay but mostly just flashy

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Turning off friendly fire is for the incompetent.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

piratepilates posted:

maybe you're just dumb :shrug:

that's a little harsh, they probably are designed that way tbh.

anyway, xbox game pass for pc is the best deal there is and I don't know how they do it. $5 a month to play whatever games they got on there. the new $80 flight simulator 2020? it's on there for you to play. the crusader kings 3 that was just released? yeah it's on there.

I would have paid full price for flight sim 2020, why are they giving it away for so cheap???

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

epic and microsoft seem to be trying to get a market share by charging stunt prices for games and giving them away for free to get people to actually install their service alongside steam

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

War Wizard posted:

Turning off friendly fire is for the incompetent.

tbh these days I think it's a lot more about preventing griefing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

epic and microsoft seem to be trying to get a market share by charging stunt prices for games and giving them away for free to get people to actually install their service alongside steam

They've got 10 million subscribers to gamepass and note that its already profitable, I think they're doing ok.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I say this as someone who loves beatemups, but the vast majority of the genre is trash and I could maybe list 10-20 that are good. Especially old arcade ones like The Simpsons, X-Men, TMNT, all of the ones we remember from our childhoods are bad. The fun was primarily derived from playing a co-op game with friends.

Streets of Rage 2, however, is still great in tyool 2020.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i see some very mild unhappiness over the voluntary shuttering of vlambeer studios. i guess people will miss games by rami ismail?

well i dont know about you all but whenever i see rami ismail all i can think of is that when there were tp shortages at the beginning of the pandemic, he said, "if you disgusting third world americans would just buy bidets you wouldn't need toilet paper at all!"

to which all i can say is, ....... uh, yes, you still do

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

SoR Blaze posted:

I say this as someone who loves beatemups, but the vast majority of the genre is trash and I could maybe list 10-20 that are good. Especially old arcade ones like The Simpsons, X-Men, TMNT, all of the ones we remember from our childhoods are bad. The fun was primarily derived from playing a co-op game with friends.

i have the 1up arcade cab for the two TMNT beat em ups and it was super awesome right until 2020 made it so none of my friends could come over to drink beer and beat up the foot clan

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

SoR Blaze posted:

Well yeah, the beat em up TMNT game one was one of the few mainstream, engaging 2 player games the NES even had, it was that or Bubble Bobble.

Not sure if unpopular

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

everything the nes port added to TMnT 2: The Arcade Game was total and utter garbage that would be better left out

especially since without a game genie it was almost impossible to beat the game since you can’t just pump quarters in

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Its appeal was being an NES game where the 2 player aspect wasn't just the 1 player aspect with it keeping track of you taking turns

Curious though, were there really any NES games with arcade counterparts that weren't dumbed down or crappier? I suppose there's the basic stuff like Donkey Kong and Bubble Bobble that was kind of the same but anything more complex than that seemed like it was always a shitshow in some respect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I mean, like I said in my post, the NES port of TMNT added whole new levels, areas and bosses but with the exception of the snow level they’re all really really bad and detract from the overall game

on the other hand it gave raph the same special move as the other turtles instead of his dumb useless roll thing so maybe it’s a wash

e: posting about this has gotten the boss fight theme song stuck in my head, RIP me

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 2, 2020