Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Is that the ST or whatever with the vertical ktmish headlights? Nice choice, it's obscure even for a BMW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

NipplesTheCat posted:

Garmin, aerostitch and piaa are in your future, also a career in dentistry. Good luck.

I need to go find some HOG riders to strafe.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Is that the ST or whatever with the vertical ktmish headlights? Nice choice, it's obscure even for a BMW.

It is an ST. ABS, too. Cause clearly, braking skill is overrated :v:

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Z3n posted:

Honestly...the KTM is a really great bike, but after something like 24 chain drive bikes and a shitload of miles, I'm just really tired of lubing chains. The GL500 shafty was pretty cool for that. I got offered an oddball trade on the KTM and decided to go for it.

I guess I got close with the Austrians, but what I really needed was some Bavarian quality. :shobon: Also, I'm a sucker for stacked headlights. Maybe I'll buy a KTM 300cc 2t woods bike to keep some orange in my life. Plus, yaknow, no chance of getting arrested on my commute on this bad boy. Growing up, bit by bit!

gently caress you go through bike quickly (not necessarily a bad thing, just saying), how long was that KTM around?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Aargh posted:

gently caress you go through bike quickly (not necessarily a bad thing, just saying), how long was that KTM around?

Actually, it's still around. My dentistry career will have to wait. :shobon:

The BMW is actually TarzansPuma's bike. I've been bugging him to take the 690 for a spin, so he swung by to pick it up today. I'll hold on to this for a few days while he figures out if he wants to get on the 690 train or not. :)

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Z3n posted:

Honestly...the KTM is a really great bike, but after something like 24 chain drive bikes and a shitload of miles, I'm just really tired of lubing chains. The GL500 shafty was pretty cool for that. I got offered an oddball trade on the KTM and decided to go for it.

Your task is to now replicate your KTM riding habits on this new bike.

Persh
Sep 26, 2007

Do you see it?
The 05 FZ1 is my dads, and the 03 SV is mine.

The decades old garage door recently completely fell apart so we're making like tarzan with a tarp.

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

Finally took the worn to poo poo stock Dunlops off the FZ6, and replaced them with a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2s, which I first heard about in this here subforum. Thanks, CA! Now that the weather is warming up in Michigan, and the roads with it, I'm starting to understand why everybody loves these tires.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

New owner current rider of the 690 SMC is complaining that the ABS is broken.

And the ABS really puts a damper on backing it in on the BMW. For some reason it REALLY doesn't like it when the back wheel starts spinning slower than the front one. :v:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Just need the S1000RR software upgrade :smug:

effzedsix
Mar 7, 2006
I got one of dem Fazers. It's a bit different than riding around on my dad's 1988 Sportster.

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

I'll bet it is. Has your dad ridden it yet?

effzedsix
Mar 7, 2006

elsanto posted:

I'll bet it is. Has your dad ridden it yet?

He certainly has. My dad has owned and ridden many different bikes. He's still keeping his V-Rod though.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Messed around with the forks and steering head trying to see why my wheel and handlebars don't line up since the wreck. Took the forks out and reversed them, it still crooked the same direction, that leaves the steering head, which I can't see anything wrong with, or maybe the bearings or a bent frame.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Retarded Pimp posted:

Messed around with the forks and steering head trying to see why my wheel and handlebars don't line up since the wreck. Took the forks out and reversed them, it still crooked the same direction, that leaves the steering head, which I can't see anything wrong with, or maybe the bearings or a bent frame.

Your triples are tweaked, most likely.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Persh posted:

The 05 FZ1 is my dads, and the 03 SV is mine.

The decades old garage door recently completely fell apart so we're making like tarzan with a tarp.

Love the windshield sticker on your dads bike.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Z3n posted:

Your triples are tweaked, most likely.

That's a good possibility, I'm waiting until the hardware store's open tomorrow to get some Stainless M6x22's to replace the ones with ground off heads holding the keylock in now so I can take it off and get a better look at it.

Edit
Aw crap, thought this was the What did you do to your ride today? thread.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

It is an ST. ABS, too. Cause clearly, braking skill is overrated :v:

Word is you can fit a mating pair of ducks in each pannier. Give it a go and let us know if it's true...

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Don Music posted:

Queensland, Australia.

Funny that you made that video, I've been using it to show everyone what my bike sounds like!

I'm brisbane southside. is there any qld goon crew about who go for rides?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Well, I said I'd post pix, then never did.

2002 suzuki bandit 1200S. Leo Vince carbon fiber can means I can strap luggage right to the thing! I wrapped some heat-shield tape around the inside of the bag; it should be fine.

I also bent a exhaust shield near the foot peg out of a 4" blank plate.

I've had it for 2 weeks and still haven't managed to use a full tank of gas. I like it a lot.

In the background is what I'm giving up: the wife's '98 Intrepid. Bought it with 46,000 miles on it 18 months ago. It's got nearly 95k now. Hopefully the bike can stand up to that kind of usage.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

First ride of the year was today. I've got some work to do to her in the next couple days including replacing all the screws that have gone missing, installing my integrated taillight, scotts damper, windscreen, and continue my quest for the perfect front signals.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Socratse posted:

I got one of dem Fazers. It's a bit different than riding around on my dad's 1988 Sportster.

Put that recycling in the bin, that party was weeks ago.

The bike's okay, I guess. I hear they come in black, too.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Holy poo poo, that track surface looks super sketchy. Reminds me of nashville. I don't think I'd be able to ride, nevermind race, on a track like that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

:swoon:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I've always had a bit of a weakness for the stripped down 'wings. That is what that is, correct?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

-Inu- posted:

Holy poo poo, that track surface looks super sketchy. Reminds me of nashville. I don't think I'd be able to ride, nevermind race, on a track like that.

I had no idea MSR Houston was so beat up!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Workin on one of those myself. Wasn't nearly as nice as yours when I started, though. And I've only just started putting it back together.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Went from doing it with two to doing it with three.

Picked up a Can Am Spyder RSS. I absolutely love this thing. It's the fastest thing I've ever been on. It's an absolute pleasure to ride. You kinda lose the benefits of parking as compared to a bike and you ride it more like a four wheeler than a bike.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I’m perfectly chill. Perfectly chill. The most innocuous comment set you off, not me. People are shockingly stupid, except for me. If that upsets you please shut the fuck up.

renraku posted:

Picked up a Can Am Spyder RSS.

What made you decide to go with a CAS instead of a bike?

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
Picked up a Duc (:wotwot:) about 3 weeks ago...

1999 Ducati Monster 900 ~ 23,000 Miles

As bought by the previous owner.

Work done by previous owner...

Black on matte black, sexy!

Talk about fun to ride. Custom exhaust is loud, and cruiser-esque...only at higher RPMs. I'll I've done is add an integrated rear taillight, bar end mirrors, and some LED front turn signals.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

Dellikose posted:

This is loving beautiful

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Loucks posted:

What made you decide to go with a CAS instead of a bike?

I was in the market for a new bike. I had no idea what I wanted, I was leaning towards a motard.

I've only bought private party used and I got a real bad taste in my with motorcycle dealerships after I saw their crazy markups and fees for new bikes and their made up fees.

So I stopped looking for awhile. I was at BRP dealership looking at jetskis. I was talking to the salesman about how I wanted a motorcycle and my problems with the dealerships. He told me about the spyder and I told him it wasn't for me. At that point I had only seen the cruisers and the base model. He showed me the RSS and I was in love. I test drove it and had to have it. Since I bought four ATVs from them in the past few years he gave me a discount, I also got 1.9% apr and the only thing you pay is the price plus tax and dmv. That's it, mo stupid motorcycle dealership bullshit.

I've gotten poo poo from friends because it has three wheels but everyone else that's not a moto snob drools over it. I have mo regrets.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Why is it missing the front fender isn't that pretty lovely? like the spark plugs are gonna get soaked or something!?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
With more stuff like the Can Am coming out I wonder why nobody can title four wheelers for use on road. If some states say lights and a plate is enough for a dirtbike, why not an ATV?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Gnaghi posted:

With more stuff like the Can Am coming out I wonder why nobody can title four wheelers for use on road. If some states say lights and a plate is enough for a dirtbike, why not an ATV?

I've always wondered that too. I have a ATVs that have power steering, ABS and four wheel disc brakes. That's more than a lot of cars have.

With ATV's I'd say the minimum displacement for street legal use should be at least 400cc because I don't see anything below that getting to safe highway speeds. Maybe some of the sport 250s but not the utes. Some of my ATVs come with license plate holders, it makes me so sad. In the winter here I ride my ATV everywhere when it snows but that's like four days a year.

Have you been to Hatfield Mccoy? that place is amazing for ATVs you can take them anywhere.

Is there a thread for ATVs? If I were to start one should it go in cycle asylum or AI proper?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Probably in AI proper, as we're technically the 2 wheel subforum. I will admit a certain curiosity about the Can-Ams, when I was up in Seattle the salesman was going rolling burnouts on them as a demo, which I found pretty hilarious. There were half a dozen fat burnout marks on the pavement.

And if it's the fastest thing you've ever ridden, at some point you really need to get your hands on a proper sportbike or powerful standard, just for the experience of it. Congrats on the new toy :)

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Z3n posted:

And if it's the fastest thing you've ever ridden, at some point you really need to get your hands on a proper sportbike or powerful standard, just for the experience of it.

I don't man, it's really fast as it is and for what it is. Anything faster I'll probably take a pass on. I have kids, can't die yet.

quote:

Congrats on the new toy :)

Thank you.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

renraku posted:

I don't man, it's really fast as it is and for what it is. Anything faster I'll probably take a pass on. I have kids, can't die yet.

Everything in it's right place...the faster bikes just mean faster potential speeds, making good decisions about when and where to use it means that speed doesn't have to translate to death :) However, I feel like anyone who rides or wants to ride should have those experiences at some point or another, just because they're like nothing else. Getting on a modern literbike and pinning it will redefine how you view acceleration. It's awesome.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Dellikose posted:

Picked up a Duc (:wotwot:) about 3 weeks ago...

1999 Ducati Monster 900 ~ 23,000 Miles

Wow, nice looking Monster. How loud is that exhaust? I have a Quat-D Exbox on my S2R and it sets off car alarms all the time. So I can't imagine how loud that is, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dellikose posted:

It took me too long to realize this was reflections and not dented to hell.