Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spittinglettuce
Nov 29, 2001
If you play against me at poker, please slowroll against me! I love it!.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Did you take that today? If so I think I saw him this afternoon as well.

I live in Florida and wear full gear (mesh when its balls hot) and other bikers look at me like I'm nuts. I see a TON of super-squids everyday, like no shirt, sandals and boardshorts only. I also see girls on the back wearing bikinis (which is baller, we can all admit, but stupid). I saw a guy yesterday with no shirt, no helmet, shorts and gauntlet gloves. When he eats it at the 90 MPH he was going, he will only be a pair of unscratched hands on the side of the road. I get it, it's hot, but that doesn't make the risk of a crash go down and when it does happen I'm sure sweating a little in gear for a few hours is better than sweating in a full body cast for 4 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

spittinglettuce posted:

I live in Florida and wear full gear (mesh when its balls hot) and other bikers look at me like I'm nuts. I see a TON of super-squids everyday, like no shirt, sandals and boardshorts only. I also see girls on the back wearing bikinis (which is baller, we can all admit, but stupid). I saw a guy yesterday with no shirt, no helmet, shorts and gauntlet gloves. When he eats it at the 90 MPH he was going, he will only be a pair of unscratched hands on the side of the road. I get it, it's hot, but that doesn't make the risk of a crash go down and when it does happen I'm sure sweating a little in gear for a few hours is better than sweating in a full body cast for 4 months.

Yeah, I'm aware it is common to see. I live just outside of Clearwater Beach and I've only seen one guy in full gear and I see him in it almost daily. Plenty of chicks that at least have jacket+full face+ boots + gloves though.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
When I was in Florida in March my wife and I were looking for helmetless morons (we love going to no helmet law states since you can see the retardation so much easier) and we only saw a few. We actually saw just as many people in proper gear as we did going helmetless. I guess the cold weather helps people make rational decisions.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Anybody know of a good place around Des Moines, IA to get riding leathers? I need to get a lighter pair of gloves, and maybe some chaps.

P.S. I don't want it to have "OMG HARLEY DAVIDSON" all over it. That poo poo is retarded. It's the motorcycling equivalent of :siren:MY GIRLFRIEND:siren:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 12, 2010

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

I was out on a patio in Stillwater, MN, which is a little touristy old-timey town by the river, and I saw about 50 bikers go by over the course of an hour or so. 30-40 of them had leather jackets. Maybe 1 or 2 of them had helmets.

What the gently caress is the point of wearing a leather jacket but not a helmet?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leather jacket looks cool :downs:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

eviljelly posted:

I was out on a patio in Stillwater, MN, which is a little touristy old-timey town by the river, and I saw about 50 bikers go by over the course of an hour or so. 30-40 of them had leather jackets. Maybe 1 or 2 of them had helmets.

What the gently caress is the point of wearing a leather jacket but not a helmet?

It's a lot easier to try to not fall on your head than not fall on your torso? v:shobon:v

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Speaking of gear, anyone know any good shops for gear around the Clearwater/Tampa/St. Pete area? Most places around here have only dirt gear if anything beyond helmets.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Anybody know of a good place around Des Moines, IA to get riding leathers? I need to get a lighter pair of gloves, and maybe some chaps.

P.S. I don't want it to have "OMG HARLEY DAVIDSON" all over it. That poo poo is retarded. It's the motorcycling equivalent of :siren:MY GIRLFRIEND:siren:

Do you like road trips?

The reason I ask is Anamosa Ia Is probably a few hours away but it's totally worth the trip because J&P Cycles has a store there that has a huge selection of gear and there is the National Motorcycle Museum which was the coolest museum ever. If you can think of a make and model of bike they have at least 1 on display.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Doctor Zero posted:

It's a lot easier to try to not fall on your head than not fall on your torso? v:shobon:v

Unfortunately that drat neck thing makes it so that if your torso hits the ground the head isn't far behind. Not a problem if you have no neck.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Pubic Lair posted:

Do you like road trips?

The reason I ask is Anamosa Ia Is probably a few hours away but it's totally worth the trip because J&P Cycles has a store there that has a huge selection of gear and there is the National Motorcycle Museum which was the coolest museum ever. If you can think of a make and model of bike they have at least 1 on display.

Sweet, Google claims 3 hours driving, so probably 2.5 by car, 2 by bike. ;)

I'd also like a new pair of boots, so I'd almost certainly be spending enough to make up for the drive.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 12, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

frozenphil posted:

When I was in Florida in March my wife and I were looking for helmetless morons (we love going to no helmet law states since you can see the retardation so much easier) and we only saw a few. We actually saw just as many people in proper gear as we did going helmetless. I guess the cold weather helps people make rational decisions.

W-what part of Florida was this? :pwn:

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Sweet, Google claims 3 hours driving, so probably 2.5 by car, 2 by bike. ;)

I'd also like a new pair of boots, so I'd almost certainly be spending enough to make up for the drive.

Make sure you hit the museum 1st as you will spend a good while looking at everything and they close at 4:30 or 5.

Also call J&P and see if they are doing any events as they have big bike shows ect.. in their parking lot which might be worth seeing.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
My goal of making the SV unsellable is almost completed. :neckbeard:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

dietcokefiend posted:

My goal of making the SV unsellable is almost completed. :neckbeard:

OMG, that is both awesome and terrifying! I wonder how it will handle at superslab speeds?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

W-what part of Florida was this? :pwn:

The Sarasota/Bradenton area. I did get to see a guy in a leather one piece suit, full gauntlet gloves, Sidi boots, and no helmet. The wife and I both did a :what: to each other.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Crayvex posted:

OMG, that is both awesome and terrifying! I wonder how it will handle at superslab speeds?

Probably pretty well :smug:

When my bike was mounted on my bike (funny to say that for some reason) it was stable well up to 90+ on the highway.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dietcokefiend fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 13, 2010

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Well I have been working on a mounting solution and got something worked out. Seems pretty stable so far.

:chord:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

dietcokefiend posted:

What is happening with your headlight here?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

dietcokefiend posted:

Well I have been working on a mounting solution and got something worked out. Seems pretty stable so far.

:chord:

Fastest landscaping truck ever built. You just need to figure out a way to strap a weed wacker to the side.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

With a set of large garden shears in a shotgun holster on the other side.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Phat_Albert posted:

What is happening with your headlight here?

HIDZZZZZZZZ

Jack the smack wouldn't be proud though, they don't blind oncoming drivers because it's a real HID unit with a proper cutoff and stuff.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Z3n posted:

HIDZZZZZZZZ

Jack the smack wouldn't be proud though, they don't blind oncoming drivers because it's a real HID unit with a proper cutoff and stuff.

Looks like a boob.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

dietcokefiend posted:

When my bike was mounted on my bike (funny to say that for some reason) it was stable well up to 90+ on the highway.

That homemade rack is all kinds of awesome. Like any huge rack should be.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

dietcokefiend posted:

You are my hero and must post details on how you set this up. I need to immediately replicate it on my CBR929.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

dietcokefiend posted:

use this to carry a trials bike

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sweet wheelie bar, bro. :cool::hf::v:

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Sweet wheelie bar, bro. :cool::hf::v:

Is it really a wheelie if you are just turning your rear wheel to a front wheel? FWD biek with no steering what?!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Need to mount a unicycle on a rack on that bicycle.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

Need to mount a unicycle on a rack on that bicycle.

Hang a pair of rollerskates off the unicycle.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Fill the rollerskates with Matchbox cars.

Seriously, though, do they not sell power mowers in WI?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

YAY!

The local Honda dealer has a demo day on Saturday. The following bikes are available:

VFR1200FA
VT1300CX
VFR800FA
CBF1000SA
XL1000VA
VT750S
CBF600SAA

If you could pick two, which ones would you try? Definitely the VFR1200, but otherwise I just don't know. XL1000 maybe?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'd ride the CB1000, but thats just because I'm in the US, where we dont get those.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Seconding the CB1000.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Gonna head up to the shop after work to throw a leg over a used CBR1100XX, will also ask when they open on Saturday. Weather report isn't looking good so it's likely all the couch potato riders will stay at home.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Phat_Albert posted:

I'd ride the CB1000, but thats just because I'm in the US, where we dont get those.

It's the CBF1000:

not the CB1000R:

Not exactly that exciting.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
Do you Yanks get this Honda?

Possibly the best looking bike in their current range. CB1300S in case you're wondering.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Saw several of those in the Alps. It looks just as good in real life.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

It's the CBF1000:

Not exactly that exciting.

oops... thanks for the information, I was thinking of the CB1100 and got the numbers mixed up

(http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2009/09/2010-honda-cb1100-the-ujm-retu.html)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

ranathari posted:

Do you Yanks get this Honda?

Possibly the best looking bike in their current range. CB1300S in case you're wondering.

If it's something other than a cruiser or a 600cc+ sport bike, no, we don't get it.