Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I appreciate the info. Here's a SS:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

That's the default root directory for WordPress, but it looks like the 'dpro-installer' directory is part of the Duplicator Pro plugin, which is what I'm guessing the developer used in the first place to make the backup. Your best bet is probably to use the same plugin like LifeLynx said, but since you have all the files and the database right there you could also likely use the manual process I suggested if you'd prefer it.

Depending on what your goals with the site are, my personal preference these days is to spin up a Digital Ocean droplet for most of my WordPress sites. Automated backups + complete control over a server is nice. Pantheon is a popular WordPress host, but their platform is a lot more restrictive and it's a little trickier to migrate sites to/from them.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

With a DB of only 2.3MB there probably isn't a whole lot of content either. Potentially easier to just start fresh and import the old posts/pages.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Bleh, Wordpress wanted me to update PHP from 5.6 but when I updated to 7.2 it shut down several sites. All of the sites I run use powerpress, a podcasting plugin. When I revert back to 5.6 it works fine. When I deactivate powerpress and go to 7.2 it's fine. When I try to do both, I get "the site has technical errors" error message.

When I ran the PHP compatibility checker plugin, I got 6 warnings:

FILE: public_html/themixedsix.com/wp-content/plugins/powerpress/getid3/getid3.lib.php
—————————————————————————————————-
FOUND 0 ERRORS AND 1 WARNING AFFECTING 1 LINE
614 | WARNING | INI directive ‘safe_mode’ is deprecated since PHP 5.3 and removed since PHP 5.4

FILE:/public_html/themixedsix.com/wp-content/plugins/powerpress/getid3/getid3.php
————————————————————————————————–
FOUND 0 ERRORS AND 4 WARNINGS AFFECTING 4 LINES
146 | WARNING | INI directive ‘safe_mode’ is deprecated since PHP 5.3 and removed since PHP 5.4
150 | WARNING | INI directive ‘mbstring.func_overload’ is deprecated since PHP 7.2
151 | WARNING | INI directive ‘mbstring.func_overload’ is deprecated since PHP 7.2
1352 | WARNING | INI directive ‘safe_mode’ is deprecated since PHP 5.3 and removed since PHP 5.4

FILE: /public_html/themixedsix.com/wp-content/plugins/powerpress/powerpressadmin.php
FOUND 0 ERRORS AND 1 WARNING AFFECTING 1 LINE
3464 | WARNING | INI directive ‘safe_mode’ is deprecated since PHP 5.3 and removed since PHP 5.4

What's weirder though is one site http://slangdesign.com/rppr/ - seems to be fine with 7.2 PHP and powerpress active. I can't figure out what's loving one but not the other.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

So I enabled php 7.2 for http://www.themixedsix.com/ with powerpress active and the main site works but the wordpress admin panel does not work when I am logged in http://www.themixedsix.com/wp-admin/

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

So I contacted my web host tech support (thanks lithium hosting!) and it turns out I had to change my .htaccess, php.ini and user.ini files.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Probably a long shot since this thread isn't terribly active – but does anyone have any plugins or information in general about importing content into Gutenberg blocks? I have a non-WP site with several hundred posts that need to be imported, and much of the content needs to go into blocks. There's very little information about how one might do this online... or my Google-fu is really terrible at the moment. I think WP All Import is technically capable of importing into blocks, but they have zero documentation about it.

ninjaedit: And before you say it, Gutenberg is a project requirement. I wish not using it was an option.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

kedo posted:

Probably a long shot since this thread isn't terribly active – but does anyone have any plugins or information in general about importing content into Gutenberg blocks? I have a non-WP site with several hundred posts that need to be imported, and much of the content needs to go into blocks. There's very little information about how one might do this online... or my Google-fu is really terrible at the moment. I think WP All Import is technically capable of importing into blocks, but they have zero documentation about it.

ninjaedit: And before you say it, Gutenberg is a project requirement. I wish not using it was an option.

best bet is to import them as standard posts, then convert them to something gutenberg-friendly once they're in a more workable state.

e: you'll find a lot more info on converting standard posts to gutenberg blocks. i don't work with gutenberg so i don't feel comfortable recommending any of it to you, however.

Misc fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 10, 2019

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Misc posted:

best bet is to import them as standard posts, then convert them to something gutenberg-friendly once they're in a more workable state.

e: you'll find a lot more info on converting standard posts to gutenberg blocks. i don't work with gutenberg so i don't feel comfortable recommending any of it to you, however.

Yeah I don't really work with it either unfortunately. I took on this project with the client (a dev shop I freelance with) knowing full well that it's a new, somewhat unstable and unknown platform and that I wasn't familiar with it. It's all been going smoothly up until content migration which neither my client or I did enough research on before bidding the project, apparently. Goody.

Converting standard posts in to Gutenberg blocks that are part of the WP core is pretty easy, my biggest hurdle has been converting content into custom blocks that we've created (basically ACF fields as part of a block). There's almost no information on the web about this, which is troubling.

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

My wordpress admin/dashboard is super crazy slow to load. Like almost unusablely slow. I don't have a ton of plugins activated, but my best guess is that it's woocommerce that slows it down. Does that make sense?
Anything else that is easy to check or do to help speed it up?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
[EDIT] REmoved because I found the solution.

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 12, 2019

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
fuckin update broke like 4 of my sites this morning.

Wish there was a "security updates only" option. Same for plugins. Once a site is working I want it to just stay exactly the same.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

fuf posted:

fuckin update broke like 4 of my sites this morning.

Wish there was a "security updates only" option. Same for plugins. Once a site is working I want it to just stay exactly the same.

I actually held off updating when I saw this update was led by Mat (the guy who started WordPress). He’s probably led a bunch of good releases, but I got paranoid seeing his name there after all the Gutenberg stuff!

devilmonk posted:

My wordpress admin/dashboard is super crazy slow to load. Like almost unusablely slow. I don't have a ton of plugins activated, but my best guess is that it's woocommerce that slows it down. Does that make sense?
Anything else that is easy to check or do to help speed it up?

Where are you hosted? If you're on shared hosting (or even if the database is on shared hosting, as is the case with places like Dreamhost), it could just be that whatever server you're on is maxed out. WooCommerce on it's own shouldn't cause a site to slowdown that much, in my experience. You could also try disabling WooCommerce for a minute to see if it does actually make a difference.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 13, 2019

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

fuf posted:

Unless things have changed, there is major/minor auto-update option. Minor being the security updates.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

the heat goes wrong posted:

Unless things have changed, there is major/minor auto-update option. Minor being the security updates.

drat, that would be really helpful actually.
Do you have to eventually update to major versions to keep getting the security updates though?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

fuf posted:

drat, that would be really helpful actually.
Do you have to eventually update to major versions to keep getting the security updates though?

It’s not a bad idea, BUT I’ve noticed they usually back port important security fixes to recent previous minor versions. I know some of my sites that aren’t on the current major WordPress version will automatically get a minor version bump when a security update comes out.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

security updates will sometimes go as far back as like... 3.9

not that you should use that version if you can absolutely help it at all

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
My problem is sql injection, but i'm on wordpress so I'm putting it here.

I'm using a template page that grabs records from a table. the table is not wordpress,

I'm using Wordpress language to get my data

code:
$table_name = $wpdb->prefix . "albums";
$query = "SELECT * FROM $table_name where album_id=$album_id";
$retrieve_data = $wpdb->get_results( $query);
my url is basic:

https://www.site.com/images/1 (grabs all the images from albumid=1)

i ran the site thru a sql injection test and if someone ever passes this url:

https://www.site.com/images/?cpage=|

i get a wordpress database error.

I think i've pinpointed my error to these lines:

code:
$page = isset( $_GET['cpage'] ) ? abs( (int) $_GET['cpage'] ) : 1;
$offset = ( $page * $items_per_page ) - $items_per_page;
$retrieve_data = $wpdb->get_results( $query . " GROUP BY orbitnumber ORDER BY start_date ASC LIMIT ${offset}, ${items_per_page}" );
I think I need to make sure $_GET['cpage'] is sanitized. I've tried use sanitize_fields or other wordpress sanitize functions, but it still gives me an error.

if anyone can help, I'd appreciate.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

stoops posted:

My problem is sql injection, but i'm on wordpress so I'm putting it here.

I'm using a template page that grabs records from a table. the table is not wordpress,

I'm using Wordpress language to get my data

code:
$table_name = $wpdb->prefix . "albums";
$query = "SELECT * FROM $table_name where album_id=$album_id";
$retrieve_data = $wpdb->get_results( $query);
my url is basic:

https://www.site.com/images/1 (grabs all the images from albumid=1)

i ran the site thru a sql injection test and if someone ever passes this url:

https://www.site.com/images/?cpage=|

i get a wordpress database error.

I think i've pinpointed my error to these lines:

code:
$page = isset( $_GET['cpage'] ) ? abs( (int) $_GET['cpage'] ) : 1;
$offset = ( $page * $items_per_page ) - $items_per_page;
$retrieve_data = $wpdb->get_results( $query . " GROUP BY orbitnumber ORDER BY start_date ASC LIMIT ${offset}, ${items_per_page}" );
I think I need to make sure $_GET['cpage'] is sanitized. I've tried use sanitize_fields or other wordpress sanitize functions, but it still gives me an error.

if anyone can help, I'd appreciate.

It may be a security measure. Wordpress + SQL injection = Internet AIDS.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the reccomended "cheap" wordpress hosting solution now a days? I love Kinsta but sometimes its hard to convince clients to pay the $60 a month for it.

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 6, 2020

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Empress Brosephine posted:

What's the reccomended "cheap" wordpress hosting solution now a days? I love Kinsta but sometimes its hard to convince clients to pay the $60 a month for it.

Most clients would be happy with even crappy hosting like GoDaddy. Why would you try to convince them to pay $60 a month for something they could be paying $7 a month for and not notice the difference?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I do all my sites on Pantheon, which iirc is $30/mo at the cheapest, or Digital Ocean which is $5/mo + usage. Digital Ocean tends to be cheaper, but you have to do all of the configuration yourself.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Siteground is what I always use for Wordpress.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

XBenedict posted:

Siteground is what I always use for Wordpress.

That looks affordable. What's the benefit of using a managed WP host like this over just general hosting on, say, a cloud shared hosting plan from Lithium? Let's pretend it's for a small business's website just for an example.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

LifeLynx posted:

That looks affordable. What's the benefit of using a managed WP host like this over just general hosting on, say, a cloud shared hosting plan from Lithium? Let's pretend it's for a small business's website just for an example.

Primarily the unique advantage that their support people understand WP. Also, Siteground has some nice additional proprietary WP site management tools. They also have a nice staging platform so that you can create a sandbox copy of your site for testing plugin updates etc, before taking them live.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

XBenedict posted:

Primarily the unique advantage that their support people understand WP. Also, Siteground has some nice additional proprietary WP site management tools. They also have a nice staging platform so that you can create a sandbox copy of your site for testing plugin updates etc, before taking them live.

I've been using Local by Flywheel and I absolutely love it. Unfortunately their hosting is a little expensive at $25 a month so I need to do the extra step of installing a migration plugin for WP to push sites live (or just FTP over changed files if it's something simple like a CSS file). My primary client I do a lot of contracted sites for has a shared hosting account so sites go there.

What do you/other people do for developing locally?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I did some investigation into the site we're taking over s traffic and the most they get is about 4k hits a month which seems to be fine on a place like lithium which I totally forgot about. Thanks goons.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Obligatory "you get what you pay for" with super cheap hosting. Lithium is usually pretty good, but cheap, shared hosting often results in overcrowded servers with really crappy response times.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

kedo posted:

Obligatory "you get what you pay for" with super cheap hosting. Lithium is usually pretty good, but cheap, shared hosting often results in overcrowded servers with really crappy response times.

This. Customer Service is king for me. I'm not skimping on a few bucks a month to get terrible service, lousy uptime, or overcrowded shares. I've been left in the cold before. Before Siteground, I was with ASmallOrange. I hosted with them BECAUSE of their customer service, but then the company got sold and it's gone tits up since then.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I heard site ground has predatory renewed pricing like after the first year the hosting price triples... Is that true?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

I heard site ground has predatory renewed pricing like after the first year the hosting price triples... Is that true?

The first year is discounted, but they share that up front, so I wouldn't call it predatory.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Anyone know of a good addon to find images/media that are no longer used on the site?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

kiwid posted:

Anyone know of a good addon to find images/media that are no longer used on the site?

Media Cleaner

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
A client wants REST API access to their form submissions, and I found this for Caldera Forms: https://calderaforms.com/doc/caldera-forms-rest-api/

Everything looks simple until "Before using the Caldera Forms REST API client, you must initialize it, per form, using the CFAPI function." Excuse me? What is "the CFAPI function"? Where would I put this code? In functions.php also?

code:
/**
 * Initialize Caldera Forms REST API client
 * For used of  users that the token is valid for
 */
jQuery(function() {
	if( 'object' == typeof MYOBJ ){
		var tokens = {
			//REST API Nonce
			nonce:  MYOBJ.api.nonce,
			//Special token for API
			token:  MYOBJ.api.token
		};

//25 is the number of entries per page to get
		var api = new CFAPI( MYOBJ.api.form, 25, MYOBJ.api.formId, MYOBJ.api.nonce, $ );
	}
});

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
I created a wordpress from an existing basic html website. it has hundreds of files and downloads.

Instead of me uploading these files via wordpress admin, can i put these files in a directory that wordpress can easily access? I wasn't sure if i can do that or if that's the right way to go about it.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Saw that there was an updated for Ninja Forms today that fixes some XSS vulnerabilities, if anyone else is using it you might want to update!

Also, the plugin now lists 'Saturday Drive' as the developer. Is that a recent change? I remember it being 'WP Ninjas' for the longest time. Some Googling tells me that Saturday Drive has owned NInja Forms for a while, but i'm surprised they'd make a branding change like that this late in the game.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

stoops posted:

I created a wordpress from an existing basic html website. it has hundreds of files and downloads.

Instead of me uploading these files via wordpress admin, can i put these files in a directory that wordpress can easily access? I wasn't sure if i can do that or if that's the right way to go about it.

You're looking for the Media Library in terms of uploading files to WP. You can upload them to your server using S/FTP and then you could use a plugin to make WordPress recognize them (it won't automatically), but honestly it might be easier to just upload them through the Media Library assuming they aren't too huge. If they are, try the former. I haven't vetted the plugin, but this sounds like what you're talking about?

If you want to import the old HTML pages into WP you could consider WP All Import, assuming the HTML pages all have a similar structure that can be identified for import. It will just plop your old HTML into a WP post. You could also just upload the HTML to your server outside of WP and link to it from WP (if it's legacy content you won't need to update in the future, or don't mind continuing to update as HTML).

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I'm not sure if this site is hosted on wordpress, but I'm looking for something similar on WP: https://www.painscience.com/tutorials/low-back-pain.php

I want to use footnotes like this website, so that when you click on a footnote the link appears as as a little window within the tab (not a new tab). Any ideas?

Please don't take the link as an endorsement of whatever it is they're selling; I haven't checked its contents.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you know how to program you could do something like that with ACF acting as the database of info. Might be easier to do a hover though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Can I just double check that it's definitely safe not to do WordPress updates (like the update to 5.4 from a couple of days ago) because any security updates are also applied to minor updates that happen automatically?

That seems to be what people say, but I can't find anything alongside the 5.4 release that is like "oh and by the way we also pushed an automatic release just to cover security stuff". There's also no option that I can find to actually enable auto updates or check that they are working properly? There's just a few wp-config options to disable them...

It's also really annoying that WordFence has a combined option for "scan for outdated versions of plugins or wordpress core". I like the scan for outdated plugins because it includes a separate warning if the plugin includes security fixes, but now I need to turn off that whole option because otherwise I'll get emails from wordfence every day telling me I'm not on the latest WP version....