Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

I was feeling left out. Since I live in the midwest I have to share a mountainous photo of when I was in Colorado last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Verman posted:

I was feeling left out. Since I live in the midwest I have to share a mountainous photo of when I was in Colorado last time.

Is that one of the lakes along the Bear Lake trail in RMNP? It looks familiar.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

img323 by spf3million, on Flickr

img324 by spf3million, on Flickr

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

IMG_8989 by philip painter, on Flickr

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Venusian Weasel posted:

Is that one of the lakes along the Bear Lake trail in RMNP? It looks familiar.

Yeah that's from ouzel lake looking south.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

the stranger by philip painter, on Flickr

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
Some Grand Canyon shots:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Wowzers, loving both of these.

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

From a trek in Switzerland, my first steps in the world of photography with a new pocket camera.

Awesome job! Those are some mighty sexy rocks.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

20130730-005-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

20130730-003-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Gambl0r posted:

Some Grand Canyon shots:

I like what I'm seeing here.

chrith
Jan 7, 2009
I tried making water sexy.

first1 by chrith is already taken, on Flickr

first3 by chrith is already taken, on Flickr

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Anything I should do with this to make it better? I feel like it's not quite the way I'd like it to be but can't think of anything to improve it.

plage camping bic 1 by king colliwog, on Flickr

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

pier's end by philip painter, on Flickr

pecking order by philip painter, on Flickr

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

KingColliwog posted:

Anything I should do with this to make it better? I feel like it's not quite the way I'd like it to be but can't think of anything to improve it.

I think it looks nice. I might increase the shadows a little or something to brighten it up some. Don't want to blow out the sky but it looks kind of underexposed to me.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

POST SHORTBUS, SOUNDMONKEY.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

ATOMICTHUMBS.GIF by MrDespair, on Flickr

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

These are nice.

Castle Rock Pier by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Which of these is least worst? After fooling around for a while, I managed to come up with two very different views of the same scene. Not sure which is better though.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Casu Marzu posted:

These are nice.

Which of these is least worst? After fooling around for a while, I managed to come up with two very different views of the same scene. Not sure which is better though.

I'd say 2 or 3. I feel like I've seen that "view down the pier" perspective a lot, so the sun along the horizon adds some welcome visual interest. 3 is nice for that left/right texture contrast.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

KingColliwog posted:

Agreeing with Saint Fu, try darkening the shadows further. Possibly mask the effect to only include the foreground land and the woods in the right side. The distant hills are fine as they are, I think they would suffer from darkening/raised contrast.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

stalwart2 by philip painter, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Yep

holy poo poo

maws
Jan 9, 2006

is this how i byob
Went on a great hike in Rogers Pass the other day - Abbott Ridge, overlooking Highway 1 and the Illecillewaet Glacier. Click through for the full set (there's almost 70 in there). I'm trying to take my landscapes a bit more seriously this summer so any critique would be appreciated. :)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Abandonment by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Roadside Silo by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Overrun by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

P8050359.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P8050364.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Way to make eveyone else's photos look bad.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Mr Despair your photos have been excellent lately.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Dren posted:

I agree entirely with this statement. Also David Pratt, your areals of the fog rolling in a while back were also great.

Haven't gotten my camera into the computer in a while. Here's some from Upper falls NH.

I wanted a better angle for this one but its completely covered in hooligans. I make it look empty but its full of 30-40 trashy frat folk.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

maws posted:

Went on a great hike in Rogers Pass the other day - Abbott Ridge, overlooking Highway 1 and the Illecillewaet Glacier. Click through for the full set (there's almost 70 in there). I'm trying to take my landscapes a bit more seriously this summer so any critique would be appreciated. :)

I think you missed an opportunity for a trick photo here.. those lines are so close to perfectly vertical it almost looks like a double exposure.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

8th-snype posted:

Way to make eveyone else's photos look bad.

Dren posted:

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I agree entirely with this statement.

:tipshat: thanks!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Cleaners by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Manitowoc Mall by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Manitowoc Mall by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I'm very sorry but... upright!

maws
Jan 9, 2006

is this how i byob

xzzy posted:

I think you missed an opportunity for a trick photo here.. those lines are so close to perfectly vertical it almost looks like a double exposure.

I think I know what you mean - if I split the frame between the stand of trees and the rocks?

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Yeah the rocks look like a vertical wall. It's a cool illusion. The out of focus tree is just messing up the shot a bit.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

DSC_1741 by dedianmn, on Flickr

A lady down the road who had been mowing her huge farmhouse lawn, rode up to me and asked "You takin' pitures for the newspaper?" I had to tell her no, just for fun. She said people always stop where I did to dump garbage and speed off. :( I think she assumed I was taking pictures of the corn, and not the storm coming in, so she told me all the good looking fields of corn in the area. So, there's that I guess... Farmers!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Maybe it's my screen, but it feels a bit under exposed. Love the clouds though. :)

Sturgeon Bay Lighthouse by g.hetzel, on Flickr

I love this location, but I'm not sure what the strongest of the three is.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

I was a fan of framing it back when--I think that's still my favorite.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Haha, small world. I think I have a winter photo of the pierhead as well. And yeah, I really think that is the best framing too.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Pano of the supercell that went through Minnesota last night:

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Helicity posted:

Pano of the supercell that went through Minnesota last night:

Very nice - I was hoping for something like that around here but we didn't get much of the storms down in Rochester until after dark. Guess there was a great lightning show though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

We've been hiking a lot this year and did Tonquin Valley this summer. I'm not sure if I should post here or in the pano thread... or the hiking thread :ohdear:

Tell me how much you hate these.

Tonquin 30 pano by Tagracat, on Flickr

Tonquin 52 pano by Tagracat, on Flickr