Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

poofactory posted:

Hey guys, when sending my office your unsolicited resumes, please address it to someone in particular and include a cover letter so we at least know for which job you are begging.

But I am begging for all jobs at your office, and if I limit my cover letter to just one person or job, then you may not consider me for the many other jobs you have open.

I live in fear that my cover letter applying for Administrative Assistant I will prevent me from getting the coveted Administrative Assistant II position!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

nudipedalia posted:

Are you seriously asking me to define the difference in applicability of internal and external regulations?

No governmental body can claim a power that has not been explicitly granted to it by a properly constituted legislature. Traffic cops can't adjudicate constitutional questions, food stamp clerks can't declare war. I mean, at its simplest, it's the difference between requiring a weapons proficiency certification for cops and cops stopping people on the street with no reasonble suspicion and asking for their certificates whether they are carrying or not. For additional fun, replace cops with someone from Department of Transportation. Health and safety regulations for employees and customers, dispute resolution through HR or customer relations, "my instruction says we need this" vs "law doesn't require me to provide you with it".

Do we need to revise the hierarchy of legislative acts with judicial principles up there, followed by constitution, all the way down to specific powers devolved to local agencies?

Am I taking a too strict positivist approach due to my continental background?

Let's start with a cursory look at amendments:
1st - right to petition in what language?, 4th - warrant in what language?, 5th - due process in what language?; 6th - a pile of stuff starting with a traffic ticket and due notice of accusations in what loving language and on what basis; 15th - suffrage and de facto discrimination of speakers of X where X is any of Russian, Ebonics, Mandarin and some forgotten German dialect for Mennonites? Notice I'm not touching 10th with its federal powers and the interstate commerce nightmare.

Why do you presume the primacy of English and on what basis do you define the stopping point in (quick and imprecise example) English - ASL - Braille - Spanish - Ukrainian - Pirahã - brainfuck continuum?

I've read this twice and I'm still not really sure what your argument is. The judiciary generally has the inherent power as a branch of government, in the absence of legislative rules, to make rules regarding the administration of its own courts. Most state constitutions (I assume) have explicitly given the state courts that power.

Example:

Texas Constitution, Article 5 Section 31 posted:

Sec. 31. COURT ADMINISTRATION; RULE-MAKING AUTHORITY; ACTION ON MOTION FOR REHEARING.
(a) The Supreme Court is responsible for the efficient administration of the judicial branch and shall promulgate rules of administration not inconsistent with the laws of the state as may be necessary for the efficient and uniform administration of justice in the various courts.

(b) The Supreme Court shall promulgate rules of civil procedure for all courts not inconsistent with the laws of the state as may be necessary for the efficient and uniform administration of justice in the various courts.

(c) The legislature may delegate to the Supreme Court or Court of Criminal Appeals the power to promulgate such other rules as may be prescribed by law or this Constitution, subject to such limitations and procedures as may be provided by law.

(d) Notwithstanding Section 1, Article II, of this constitution and any other provision of this constitution, if the supreme court does not act on a motion for rehearing before the 180th day after the date on which the motion is filed, the motion is denied.

(Added Nov. 5, 1985; Subsec. (d) added Nov. 4, 1997.)

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/CN/htm/CN.5.htm#5.31

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

nudipedalia posted:

Are you seriously asking me to define the difference in applicability of internal and external regulations?

No governmental body can claim a power that has not been explicitly granted to it by a properly constituted legislature. Traffic cops can't adjudicate constitutional questions, food stamp clerks can't declare war. I mean, at its simplest, it's the difference between requiring a weapons proficiency certification for cops and cops stopping people on the street with no reasonble suspicion and asking for their certificates whether they are carrying or not. For additional fun, replace cops with someone from Department of Transportation. Health and safety regulations for employees and customers, dispute resolution through HR or customer relations, "my instruction says we need this" vs "law doesn't require me to provide you with it".

Do we need to revise the hierarchy of legislative acts with judicial principles up there, followed by constitution, all the way down to specific powers devolved to local agencies?

1st - right to petition in what language?, 4th - warrant in what language?, 5th - due process in what language?; 6th - a pile of stuff starting with a traffic ticket and due notice of accusations in what loving language and on what basis; 15th - suffrage and de facto discrimination of speakers of X where X is any of Russian, Ebonics, Mandarin and some forgotten German dialect for Mennonites? Notice I'm not touching 10th with its federal powers and the interstate commerce nightmare.

Why do you presume the primacy of English and on what basis do you define the stopping point in (quick and imprecise example) English - ASL - Braille - Spanish - Ukrainian - Pirahã - brainfuck continuum?

e:

I must have been unclear: a third party in my poor understanding is someone who is getting involved in court proceedings. Once a witness has entered the courtroom he is presumed to be in understanding of the rules governing it and provided a translator if he requires one, he is not a third person anymore. What's problematic is summoning him before he is involved, presuming he understands English in summons without first enquiring whether he needs a translator.

Summoning him in English can't be done based of court regulations because he is not involved yet and thus is governed by the general body of laws and not specific court regulations.

You are making the mistake of confusing what you think the law is with how things really work. It is OK, this happens all the time.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

builds character posted:

You are making the mistake of confusing what you think the law is with how things really work. It is OK, this happens all the time.

That's because:

nudipedalia posted:

...this person is a philosopher, or at least somewhat familiar with philosophy. As someone who got a bachelor's in philosophy before going to law school, I can justifiably say that the philosopher's mindset doesn't really help you with legal analysis, at all.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

nudipedalia posted:

For additional fun, replace cops with someone from Department of Transportation. Health and safety regulations for employees and customers, dispute resolution through HR or customer relations, "my instruction says we need this" vs "law doesn't require me to provide you with it".

No, you don't need to devolve specific powers, you can delegate rule making authority. Therefore the federal or state agency may be delegated authority by the legislature to make appropriate rules to achieve certain purposes. Then you can have formal or informal hearings to ensure that nothing underhanded is going on. Have to say this is not my field at all, though; I got a terrible grade in admin law, although I did study it a bit more a month ago before realising that it wasn't going to be on the bar.

quote:

comedy response: The constitution is written in English so

Really though, those issues youre raising are cured by case law, which has the authority to interpret the constitution; say what you like about the constitution, but your opinion alone does not carry any weight in court. A lot of what you're asking is resolved by tests that judges apply, ranging from whether a certain way of doing things has a reasonable relation to a legitimate government interest, to perhaps whether it is necessary to serve a compelling government interest. If I'm going to cut off your fingers so you can't post anymore, the latter test might apply, but if I'm just regulating your speech so that you can't post from the white house lawn at 3 am then a much easier hurdle is presented for law makers.

quote:

I must have been unclear: a third party in my poor understanding is someone who is getting involved in court proceedings. Once a witness has entered the courtroom he is presumed to be in understanding of the rules governing it and provided a translator if he requires one, he is not a third person anymore. What's problematic is summoning him before he is involved, presuming he understands English in summons without first enquiring whether he needs a translator.

Summoning him in English can't be done based of court regulations because he is not involved yet and thus is governed by the general body of laws and not specific court regulations.

But isn't he under the jurisdiction before he gets served? The court regulations aren't there to create the fundamental jurisdiction of the court, they're there to ensure that it was fairly and effectively exercised, and nobody is suffering from foul play.

The actual authority over the cause of action was always there when you had a substantial contact with the state/country. If your witness is out of the geographic jurisdiction of the particular county court you have the case in, then you go to the foreign state court and get an order from them. Whether the witness has appeared in the confines of the courtroom is meaningless in that instance, because the judiciary has legal authority over your being and/or property.

Therefore, that your man can't read english is not a problem at all. He is already within the jurisdiction of whichever state court issues the order.

Chewbacca Defense
Sep 6, 2009

High speed, low drag.
I have a question for the lawyers in this thread. I am a 2L at Wake Forest and I'm trying to look for an internship for next summer in NY (grew up 20 minutes from Manhattan). The problem is, I didn't have an internship this last summer. Long story short, I'm in the Army Reserves and my training schedule this last summer changed three times, so I couldn't commit to anything. My grades from the first semester were not that impressive, but I did improve my GPA considerably last semester. Is there anything I can do to make me look better on paper?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

All the lawyers in this thread are being way too literal. The simple answer as to why court proceedings are all in English, and you can't somehow avoid them by claiming to only be fluent in Shyriiwook, is because the court will ignore you if you try and argue that, and there is no way for you to impose your will on the court and the executives that will enforce the court's decisions. I doubt you can construct an airtight logical argument from constitutional first principles regarding why you can be forced to obey a court even if they don't serve you in Klingon. But it doesn't matter because a court will literally ignore you, just like if you claim a court doesn't have proper jurisdiction because the flag has a gold fringe on it, or because your name on the criminal indictment is in all caps. Some people doggedly grasp onto the wrongheaded belief that judicial authority derives from Magic Words of Power or something and all judges must be corrupt and part of The System if they refuse to entertain your notions.

On a related note, here's a list of idiot legal arguments and a tax protestor FAQ listing common "arguments" that people often try to use.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Linguica posted:

All the lawyers in this thread are being way too literal. The simple answer as to why court proceedings are all in English, and you can't somehow avoid them by claiming to only be fluent in Shyriiwook, is because the court will ignore you if you try and argue that, and there is no way for you to impose your will on the court and the executives that will enforce the court's decisions. I doubt you can construct an airtight logical argument from constitutional first principles regarding why you can be forced to obey a court even if they don't serve you in Klingon. But it doesn't matter because a court will literally ignore you, just like if you claim a court doesn't have proper jurisdiction because the flag has a gold fringe on it, or because your name on the criminal indictment is in all caps. Some people doggedly grasp onto the wrongheaded belief that judicial authority derives from Magic Words of Power or something and all judges must be corrupt and part of The System if they refuse to entertain your notions.

On a related note, here's a list of idiot legal arguments and a tax protestor FAQ listing common "arguments" that people often try to use.

I would like to claim partial credit for telling the intruder that his opinion of the constitution carries no weight, and that the judiciary has the legal authority over people and property.

quotison
Dec 29, 2005

don't hit your head

nudipedalia posted:

Why do you presume the primacy of English

Because that's how things work around here. "How things work around here" isn't really law, but it's what we use when we fill in gaps in the law. The Constitution doesn't discuss fundamental rights in the context of language. It's not unreasonable to fill that gap by saying that we're going to conduct our business in the predominant language, with some exceptions for those who do not speak that language.

Daico
Aug 17, 2006
I'm going to throw in with something from the "Talking Out of My rear end" School of Law, but if somebody gets issued some kind of document by a police officer or some official looking organization, that'd probably be considered enough to put him on notice that he should find somebody to translate it into Marain or whatever the gently caress.

I would also like to express my basic antipathy to the gentleman that initiated this line of discussion.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

entris posted:

...this person is a philosopher, or at least somewhat familiar with philosophy. As someone who got a bachelor's in philosophy before going to law school, I can justifiably say that the philosopher's mindset doesn't really help you with legal analysis, at all.

I would strongly disagree; a background in classical philosophy greatly assists with legal analysis. You have to keep in mind, though, that you need to do the analysis with the right class of people. Legal analysis should be done side by side with learned friends who have experience with the law. Socrates didn't do the dialectic on farm animals, and similarly you shouldn't engage in legal analysis with an outsider.

Daico posted:

I would also like to express my basic antipathy to the gentleman that initiated this line of discussion.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
I only got 21 interviews in EIP. Some people got 27. But then again, if I can't get a job after 21 interviews, I might as well look seriously into beach bumhood, or seppuku.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

billion dollar bitch posted:

I only got 21 interviews in EIP. Some people got 27. But then again, if I can't get a job after 21 interviews, I might as well look seriously into beach bumhood, or seppuku.

Hey now, you have other options. Like beach seppuku.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Daico posted:

Normally, we would just say "gently caress you _________"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

billion dollar bitch posted:

If you want more you can show up early every day and grab an open interview slot.

3L's appear to have gotten one or two interviews total, boy it's going to be rough for anyone who doesn't get an offer.

nudipedalia
May 29, 2008
Thanks everyone, I fully understand that my argument looks like typical freshman bullshit and would be laughed out of any court. All I wanted to know is why would it be laughed out of court. These answers were the most helpful:

Lykourgos posted:

Really though, those issues youre raising are cured by case law, which has the authority to interpret the constitution; say what you like about the constitution, but your opinion alone does not carry any weight in court. A lot of what you're asking is resolved by tests that judges apply, ranging from whether a certain way of doing things has a reasonable relation to a legitimate government interest, to perhaps whether it is necessary to serve a compelling government interest.

Linguica posted:

All the lawyers in this thread are being way too literal. The simple answer as to why court proceedings are all in English, and you can't somehow avoid them by claiming to only be fluent in Shyriiwook, is because the court will ignore you if you try and argue that.

It's governed by case law and tradition with no formal basis in judicial or constitutional principles. Anglo-Saxon system :argh:.

I don't pretend to be a philosopher or even student of philosophy, by continental background I mean civil law of Germanic extraction not continental philosophy.

Daico posted:

:smith:

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lykourgos posted:

I would strongly disagree; a background in classical philosophy greatly assists with legal analysis. You have to keep in mind, though, that you need to do the analysis with the right class of people. Legal analysis should be done side by side with learned friends who have experience with the law. Socrates didn't do the dialectic on farm animals, and similarly you shouldn't engage in legal analysis with an outsider.

Actually, now that I reread what the guy wrote, he said he was maybe being too positivist due to his continental background...

...but positivism is analytic philosophy, not continental. And analytic and continental are fundamentally different...

drat it, we've been trolled!

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

nudipedalia posted:

It's governed by case law and tradition with no formal basis in judicial or constitutional principles. Anglo-Saxon system :argh:.

what do you mean by judicial and constitutional principles? I mean, it's a judicial principle that the judiciary owns the constitution, and the constitution is principle because the honoured judiciary likes to cite it in their opinions.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

evilweasel posted:

3L's appear to have gotten one or two interviews total, boy it's going to be rough for anyone who doesn't get an offer.

3Ls at UT three potential employers in Texas this year.

gently caress that poo poo.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CaptainScraps posted:

3Ls at UT three potential employers in Texas this year.

gently caress that poo poo.

drat. At least here, you know slots will open up as people cancel their schedules.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

poofactory posted:

Hey guys, when sending my office your unsolicited resumes, please address it to someone in particular and include a cover letter so we at least know for which job you are begging.

But make sure you correctly name the job for which you are begging:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

He wasn't applying for a job, he was just sending a message: I'M COMING

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Here's a hypo for you bar exam types.

Driver's car catches on fire while he's driving it down the interstate, so he pulls off onto the shoulder and gets out and calls 911. Traffic is very light and cars are passing without any problem. The car burns for ten minutes or so and the police arrive, followed almost immediately by the fire department. The police close down traffic on the interstate completely while the fire is put out and a wrecker shows up to load the burned husk.

Plaintiff pulls up to the accident scene and stops in the standstill traffic behind the police barricade. He's stuck in traffic for about 5 minutes at a dead stop when suddenly he's rear-ended by Trucker, and now he claims injuries from the accident.

Who's liable for Plaintiff's damages?

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
^^ur mum, nice try bar exam is over, legal questions megathread (link)

joat mon posted:

But make sure you correctly name the job for which you are begging:

Maybe he's just playing around, showing you how little he thinks of your office; kind of like a pre-game taunt before he enters the ring as the new ADA

please just be playing around, don't be so careless mr prosecutor n... no.. nooo

Lykourgos fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 2, 2010

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

You pussy, the day after I took my second bar exam I went into Federal court and argued a motion to remand a $6,000,000 case.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

PS I won, bitch

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
lol you low class clown you mentioned the sum involved, like it would matter to a man of quality. Do you pee your pants when a certain number of digits appear on the paper, with no respect for the legal issue or the moral fibre of the creatures involved

oh you edited it drat

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Lykourgos posted:

your motion could have been for an extension of time for all i know

looks like some little law student failed his Fed Civ Pro section

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Phil Moscowitz posted:

looks like some little law student failed his Fed Civ Pro section

either my eyes are playing tricks on me or you edited that quickly

nudipedalia
May 29, 2008

Lykurgos posted:

what do you mean by judicial and constitutional principles? I mean, it's a judicial principle that the judiciary owns the constitution, and the constitution is principle because the honoured judiciary likes to cite it in their opinions.

Judicial principles like rule of law, legitimate expectation, maintaining peace, proportionality, stare decisis, nondescrimination, all the things that might not be explicitly codified in normative acts but are of equal power to (or in some systems above) constitutional law.

It's easy to construct the chain of tradition -> overwhelming societal interest (peace and democracy) -> English, I was looking for the specific reasoning and you gave it, I'm shutting up and getting out.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Driver's car catches on fire while he's driving it down the interstate, so he pulls off onto the shoulder and gets out and calls 911. Traffic is very light and cars are passing without any problem. The car burns for ten minutes or so and the police arrive, followed almost immediately by the fire department. The police close down traffic on the interstate completely while the fire is put out and a wrecker shows up to load the burned husk.

Plaintiff pulls up to the accident scene and stops in the standstill traffic behind the police barricade. He's stuck in traffic for about 5 minutes at a dead stop when suddenly he's rear-ended by Trucker, and now he claims injuries from the accident.

Phillip Morris.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Phil Moscowitz posted:

too soon

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Fisher Price: My First Post-bar Bitchslap by a Real Lawyer

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I'm going to hazard a guess for shits and giggles.

The police aren't liable because they'll put up a huge fight about intervening cause and proximate cause and likely win. It also depends on if the state statute has made them liable for this sort of action. Theoretically they might be if it was shown that there was a more efficient way to handle the accident.

The driver's not liable because it's an unforeseeable consequence and not his drat fault.

The trucker's liable for negligence, which is awesome, because he has a fat loving insurance policy. The only loser here is the lawyer, because the Plaintiff isn't crippled or dead.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Don't worry grumblefish, at my first court appearance after I got sworn in, opposing counsel referred to me as a pledge and called the partner on the case just to make fun of him for sending a know-nothing to a status conference

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

I'm going to hazard a guess for shits and giggles.

The police aren't liable because they'll put up a huge fight about intervening cause and proximate cause and likely win. It also depends on if the state statute has made them liable for this sort of action. Theoretically they might be if it was shown that there was a more efficient way to handle the accident.

The driver's not liable because it's an unforeseeable consequence and not his drat fault.

The trucker's liable for negligence, which is awesome, because he has a fat loving insurance policy. The only loser here is the lawyer, because the Plaintiff isn't crippled or dead.

I'll let you know how your well-reasoned argument goes when I present it to Judge Billy Bob out in Cottonfield District Court

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Don't worry grumblefish, at my first court appearance after I got sworn in, opposing counsel referred to me as a pledge and called the partner on the case just to make fun of him for sending a know-nothing to a status conference

admit that his barbs stung your very soul

did the judge comment on your tears?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I'll let you know how your well-reasoned argument goes when I present it to Judge Billy Bob out in Cottonfield District Court

Real answer: the trucker, because everyone else has no duty to safeguard from third party torts.

Realer answer: How much did you donate to the campaign for Judge Billy Bob?

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Phil you should mentor me on my Federal Civil Defense Case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Lykourgos posted:

admit that his barbs stung your very soul

did the judge comment on your tears?

The other guy was on speakerphone with me and the partner when he said it, and then he told me to take a shot of wild turkey and kept yelling "do it pussy" until I did it

Stunt Rock posted:

Phil you should mentor me on my Federal Civil Defense Case.

What's it about? Northern District or Southern?