Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
I don't mind paying for bottled water. I just don't get why they won't bring me ice cubes. Why is that? Is it really that unheard of?

peak debt posted:

For Auschwitz you want to get a tour because the written explanations are indeed not too good.

We tried to get a tour but it wasn't well explained how to get one and nobody there spoke English? It was really confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PlantHead posted:

Ask for tap water if you want water in a restaurant or bar, that way you won't have to pay for it. If you just ask for water, you be given a bottle and you will have to pay for it.

Ice cubes: Fewer ice cubes = more drink

In some places. In other places they refuse (albeit rare) "the tap water is non-potable." I've been literally told that in Italy and can't imagine it's true. Also rare, but sometimes you get a service charge for the carafe. But yeah, the majority of the time you can get free tap water by asking for it.

Ice cubes are made of water. (But, for non-water drinks: in the US non-alcoholic drinks are very often free-refills, so much bigger that the volume displacement is a non-issue. Maybe you're American and already know this, but just in case not). On the plus side, I never drink soda any more because gently caress if I'm paying 5 CHF for a 300 mL coke with no ice and no refills).

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Insane Totoro posted:

I don't mind paying for bottled water. I just don't get why they won't bring me ice cubes. Why is that? Is it really that unheard of?
Did you ask for ice? Otherwise it's kind of rude to water down a customer's drink.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I think he meant in the water was never ice. This is the case in pretty much all places in Europe I've been to, although often the bottles/carafes come cooled and that's usually more than enough for me. In Canada on the other hand they were throwing ice in the water pitchers even in the middle of winter for some reason.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

elwood posted:

Pickpocket story: My brother got pickpocketed in Paris last week.

Last night I was a drunk dumbass and left my wallet on the table after I paid at a cafe at around 2AM. When I came back looking for it a half hour later it was long gone. I only had a little cash in there and immediately cancelled all the cards. But hopefully whoever picked it up just took out the cash and dropped it in the trash because it also had my driver's licence and a copy of my passport photo page in it. Lesson learned I guess. At least my passport and alternate credit card are still safe and sound

The pickpockets are way less annoying than the guys with strings though. gently caress those guys. They are pushy.

Edit: Whew, I just got an email from somebody who found it! Whoever took the cash just dumped it on the sidewalk afterword.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 10, 2013

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

elbkaida posted:

I think he meant in the water was never ice. This is the case in pretty much all places in Europe I've been to, although often the bottles/carafes come cooled and that's usually more than enough for me. In Canada on the other hand they were throwing ice in the water pitchers even in the middle of winter for some reason.

As a French man who's also lived in the US, I hate having ice cold water. It should just be sort of cool. But you can definitely ask for ice cubes (glaçons). I also hate having ice cubes in any other drink because it will dilute the taste. I'm just one dude and I don't know if this is a sentiment shared across Europe obviously.
Our supermarkets don't have anywhere near as much air conditioning as in the US either.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Insane Totoro posted:

We tried to get a tour but it wasn't well explained how to get one and nobody there spoke English? It was really confusing.

I went to Auschwitz in May 2012 and was able to get an English language tour of Auschwitz I and II. According to the camp's website:

quote:

The entry to the Auschwitz I site will be exclusively on a guided, group basis from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. during the period from April 1 to October 31, 2013. This not apply to the grounds of the former Auschwitz II-Birkenau.

I remember arriving at the visitor center around 9:30 and seeing people being separated by language, waiting for the first (10 AM) tour of the day. Our tour guide, funny old Polish lady, led us on a bus over the Auschwitz II and gave us a whirlwind tour of the larger camp as well (tour of I was quite brief too, unfortunately). When our tour was over, I stayed at II for a few hours on my own. I was able to better experience the camp without being prodded around with disgusting, boorish, middle aged British men during their stag party.

I agree about Krakow's underratedness as well. Kazimierz, the Jewish Quarter, is also worth seeing. I was able to find the Jewish orphanage that my great-grandparents lived in before being adopted by Polish Catholics. The food is top notch (stuffed Goose necks) and so cheap. I also recommend doing laundry at the Frania Cafe. Laundry facilities are in the back with a nice cafe in the front. The employees were attractive young ladies insistent on giving me the student discount. Le sigh.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Saladman posted:

In some places. In other places they refuse (albeit rare) "the tap water is non-potable." I've been literally told that in Italy and can't imagine it's true.

Could be just that particular place. Some of that plumbing is older than Italy. (In Rome of course you have plumbing as old as Rome but that's another thing.)

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
I found Rome had allot of fountains to refill your water bottles compared to most of the other cities I've visited.

ValleyOfWalls
Sep 26, 2005

Tentatively travelling out of the U.S. for the first time ever early next month! However, I will probably be travelling alone and am absolutely terrified. Looking at what I can book with my airline miles, I am considering the following:

Nice (3 nights)
-> Train
Venice (3 nights)
-> Train
Florence (2 nights)
-> Train
Rome (3 nights)

I'm considering cutting Florence entirely. Or reworking the entire trip. Any advice for someone totally out of their depth?

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

ValleyOfWalls posted:

Tentatively travelling out of the U.S. for the first time ever early next month! However, I will probably be travelling alone and am absolutely terrified. Looking at what I can book with my airline miles, I am considering the following:

Nice (3 nights)
-> Train
Venice (3 nights)
-> Train
Florence (2 nights)
-> Train
Rome (3 nights)

I'm considering cutting Florence entirely. Or reworking the entire trip. Any advice for someone totally out of their depth?

If that's all your doing for the trip I'd say cut out Nice all together and add those days to Rome. Florence is very compact and doable in a day seeing the main sights, but 2 is good to pace yourself and even throw in a visit to Pisa for a couple hours. Rome is definitely worth the added days as with only 3-4 days you'll be either really busy seeing a lot of things or slowly seeing only a few things and missing out on a lot. Nice is a good place to relax on the beach and see Monaco, but there isn't too much to see/do otherwise (certainly not enough in my opinion for 3 nights). Overall I would absolutely go to Florence instead of Nice if I had to choose one of the two. Not to mention that time-wise I believe a train from Nice to Venice would take about 3-4 hours with a connection in Genoa and that's valuable time wasted in a short trip.

ValleyOfWalls
Sep 26, 2005

MagicCube posted:

If that's all your doing for the trip I'd say cut out Nice all together and add those days to Rome. Florence is very compact and doable in a day seeing the main sights, but 2 is good to pace yourself and even throw in a visit to Pisa for a couple hours. Rome is definitely worth the added days as with only 3-4 days you'll be either really busy seeing a lot of things or slowly seeing only a few things and missing out on a lot. Nice is a good place to relax on the beach and see Monaco, but there isn't too much to see/do otherwise (certainly not enough in my opinion for 3 nights). Overall I would absolutely go to Florence instead of Nice if I had to choose one of the two. Not to mention that time-wise I believe a train from Nice to Venice would take about 3-4 hours with a connection in Genoa and that's valuable time wasted in a short trip.

Looks like I can indeed fly in to Venice for the same cost. Guess I could make this Italy: The Trip.

For a first time European traveler, would this be a good starting place? 11 nights spread across Venice -> Florence (Pisa day trip) -> Rome?

I was also considering the alternative of something involving London/Paris. This excites me less, but it does have the added benefit that I won't feel stranded trapped in the English language the entire time (Though I see in the OP that I should be able to find someone who speaks English wherever I go. I realize that the two trips may not even be somewhat comparable, but I figured I'd ask anyway since I want to make the most of the time and money that I have.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
That's a fine itinerary, and you won't have any trouble finding people who speak English in those places. Venice/Florence/Rome is pretty much the standard Italian route.

Personally I'd recommend spending the night somewhere along the way between those places. Italy is blanketed in cool smaller towns and cities, and it's a good idea to spend a little time outside of tourist hell. (Bologna, Orvieto and Siena are all pretty convenient for your route and would make a good stopover.)

London/Paris is also a really typical highlight-style trip, and would also be great. But I'd go to Italy because IMO Paris and London are better places to visit when you've got a better idea what you're doing or if you can get in touch with some people who live there.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

duralict posted:

London/Paris is also a really typical highlight-style trip, and would also be great. But I'd go to Italy because IMO Paris and London are better places to visit when you've got a better idea what you're doing or if you can get in touch with some people who live there.

As someone who went on a family vacation in an Italian farmhouse a couple of years before I set out on my own for the big cities like London/Paris/Berlin, I agree with this 100%. Italy is the perfect country to get your feet wet and just relax overall.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Hi. If anyone knows Barcelona please tell me all the best places to eat and things to see there in late October. I already know about the Gaudi sites and Las Ramblas. Thanks.

Mons Hubris fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 9, 2013

ValleyOfWalls
Sep 26, 2005

Mr.AARP posted:

As someone who went on a family vacation in an Italian farmhouse a couple of years before I set out on my own for the big cities like London/Paris/Berlin, I agree with this 100%. Italy is the perfect country to get your feet wet and just relax overall.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Flights booked!

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?
Another Paris/Rome question:

I'm thinking of renting an apartment for a week in each city instead of staying in hotels/hostels. Does anyone have experience with vacation rentals in Europe?

Also, what are the centrally-located neighborhoods in Paris and Rome I should be looking to stay in?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kolta posted:

I found Rome had allot of fountains to refill your water bottles compared to most of the other cities I've visited.

You can thank the Romans for that.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
Well everyone, today is my last day in Europe before I hop on a flight back home. The experience has been amazing and I can honestly say that I've learned a ton of new things and met a bunch of awesome people. Which should make my next trip even better and easier.

For everyone who's new to this thread I can only tell you this advise. USE IT AND LISTEN. if I hadn't listened to anyone on this thread I'd still be lugging around a suitcase pissed off at the world like all the people I've seen while wearing my comfy backpack. Also I wouldn't of visited half of the places recommended on this thread.

I don't consider myself and expert nor do I consider myself a complete greenhorn either, but if anyone has any questions about the following locations please feel free to PM me or ask on this thread.

Vienna, Austria
Bratislava, Nitra, High Tatras, Southern Slovakia, Slovakia
Prague, Czech
Berling, Germany
Zurich, Switzerland
Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Italy
Paris, France

Also here's a few things I was concerned about before leaving and what I've experienced.

Pickpockets - never happened, used a money belt and kept the wallet in the front pocket.

Gypsy children - never seen any apart from some on photos of adult gypsies asking for money.

Being pestered for money - occasionally, but not nearly as bad as I thought.

Crime - what crime?

People's attitude and willingness to help - couple jerks, but nothing more then what I sometimes get at home.

So that's it. It's weird to be going back, but to say I don't want to go back home would be stupid. I've been here for two and a half months. I started to miss the little things back home. My dog, my laptop, my favourite pub etc.

Well that's all folks! Thanks for the advice and all your help. I hope to contribute a bit more to this thread by helping people out with any questions they have and to also use it once again for when I come back to Europe.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Kolta posted:

if I hadn't listened to anyone on this thread I'd still be lugging around a suitcase pissed off at the world like all the people I've seen while wearing my comfy backpack.

My advice would be to use a suitcase unless you are actually going hiking, which very few people do. For urban travelers (cities, airports, taxis, trains...) a suitcase with wheels should be much more convenient than a backpack, providing they are loaded the same.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

First time I've heard anyone call a suitcase convenient.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

Doctor Malaver posted:

My advice would be to use a suitcase unless you are actually going hiking, which very few people do. For urban travelers (cities, airports, taxis, trains...) a suitcase with wheels should be much more convenient than a backpack, providing they are loaded the same.

With the amount of traveling I did a suitcase would of been a true pain even with all the kings wheels.

The only way I see myself bringing a suitcase is if I'm staying at one location for a long period of time such as a resort or hotel.

If you're going to be jumping on and off trains, in and out of hostels and hotels the only way in my opinion is a travel backpack.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

Kolta posted:

Well everyone, today is my last day in Europe before I hop on a flight back home. The experience has been amazing and I can honestly say that I've learned a ton of new things and met a bunch of awesome people. Which should make my next trip even better and easier.

For everyone who's new to this thread I can only tell you this advise. USE IT AND LISTEN. if I hadn't listened to anyone on this thread I'd still be lugging around a suitcase pissed off at the world like all the people I've seen while wearing my comfy backpack. Also I wouldn't of visited half of the places recommended on this thread.

I don't consider myself and expert nor do I consider myself a complete greenhorn either, but if anyone has any questions about the following locations please feel free to PM me or ask on this thread.

Vienna, Austria
Bratislava, Nitra, High Tatras, Southern Slovakia, Slovakia
Prague, Czech
Berling, Germany
Zurich, Switzerland
Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Italy
Paris, France

Also here's a few things I was concerned about before leaving and what I've experienced.

Pickpockets - never happened, used a money belt and kept the wallet in the front pocket.

Gypsy children - never seen any apart from some on photos of adult gypsies asking for money.

Being pestered for money - occasionally, but not nearly as bad as I thought.

Crime - what crime?

People's attitude and willingness to help - couple jerks, but nothing more then what I sometimes get at home.

So that's it. It's weird to be going back, but to say I don't want to go back home would be stupid. I've been here for two and a half months. I started to miss the little things back home. My dog, my laptop, my favourite pub etc.

Well that's all folks! Thanks for the advice and all your help. I hope to contribute a bit more to this thread by helping people out with any questions they have and to also use it once again for when I come back to Europe.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was fun meeting you in Bratislava.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

vetinari100 posted:

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was fun meeting you in Bratislava.

Ah man thanks so much for showing us around Bratislava. Sorry we couldn't make it back down for a second visit. The university in Nitra has a major communication problem. Haha

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

First time I've heard anyone call a suitcase convenient.

I also find suitcases way more convenient than backpacks. Goddamn impossible to find anything in a backpack without unpacking the entire thing. Plus how often is the ground really uneven enough where wheels are not suitable? (Rome, Arab medinas, and.. nowhere else that I can think of in the developed or semi-developed world).

E: I also rent cars or drive to basically everywhere I go except for trips to major cities that are too far away for me to easily drive to (Rome, London), because gently caress taxis, and budget not really an issue. I also do my best to not travel anywhere with snow because I hate winter.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 9, 2013

Ulysiss
Jun 6, 2013

ValleyOfWalls posted:

Looks like I can indeed fly in to Venice for the same cost. Guess I could make this Italy: The Trip.

For a first time European traveler, would this be a good starting place? 11 nights spread across Venice -> Florence (Pisa day trip) -> Rome?

I was also considering the alternative of something involving London/Paris. This excites me less, but it does have the added benefit that I won't feel stranded trapped in the English language the entire time (Though I see in the OP that I should be able to find someone who speaks English wherever I go. I realize that the two trips may not even be somewhat comparable, but I figured I'd ask anyway since I want to make the most of the time and money that I have.

I can tell you that going to Paris will make you feel trapped within the English language, I recently went on a trip to Iceland - Norway - Poland - Germany - France and I felt by far the most isolated in Paris. Having said that don't believe everything you here about the French, I didn't find them to be nearly as hostile as people say.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Saladman posted:

I also find suitcases way more convenient than backpacks. Goddamn impossible to find anything in a backpack without unpacking the entire thing. Plus how often is the ground really uneven enough where wheels are not suitable? (Rome, Arab medinas, and.. nowhere else that I can think of in the developed or semi-developed world).

All of Vienna for half of the year when the sidewalks are covered in gravel and sometimes snow. Anywhere there is snow, for that matter.

I'm definitely in the backpack crowd. I don't want to drag a suitcase around and have my hand always occupied by holding on to something. My favorite backpack and one which I use all the time (including right this moment actually as I am on a small trip) is this one http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-tls-weekender-convertible/143101?productid=1370034

It is convertible (the straps can be stowed inside a pocket), it is carry-on compliant for all but the very small commuter jets, and it opens up like a suitcase so you don't have to dig everything up all the time. Perfect for a weekend or half a year of travel.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

:stare: Capacity: 3299 cu. in.
Interesting volume measurement.

I really like to use backpacks because you can just walk around normally without caring about stairs etc. The downside is you have to be more careful when checking them on planes.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
If you're dragging your luggage (whether it's in form of a suitcase or a big backpack) all over town through snow, you are probably doing something wrong. Or you are on a tight budget and would rather walk half an hour from the train station to the hostel, than get a cab.

I make sure to get the suitcase in the most efficient way to my room, which usually involves very little dragging around over gravel. Then I switch to a light backpack for walking around, sightseeing, etc. I don't know, I spent three weeks in Peru and Bolivia, including a few days in the jungle and never once I wished I had all my stuff in a backpack instead of a suitcase. v:shobon:v

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Doctor Malaver posted:

If you're dragging your luggage (whether it's in form of a suitcase or a big backpack) all over town through snow, you are probably doing something wrong. Or you are on a tight budget and would rather walk half an hour from the train station to the hostel, than get a cab.

I make sure to get the suitcase in the most efficient way to my room, which usually involves very little dragging around over gravel. Then I switch to a light backpack for walking around, sightseeing, etc. I don't know, I spent three weeks in Peru and Bolivia, including a few days in the jungle and never once I wished I had all my stuff in a backpack instead of a suitcase. v:shobon:v

Again, people travel in different ways. I don't use taxis (would rather spend the money in other ways; tight budget, etc) and I'm not at all opposed to the idea of walking miles with my backpack. I pack light so it's not a bother.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

If you've got a car or the budget to take cabs everywhere then it's sort of a personal preference thing, but backpacks are just unambiguously better-suited to budget traveling. Going cheaply means a lot of walking and usually a lot of staircases. Backpacks are just vastly, vastly more versatile, because they can go anywhere you can walk. Rolling luggage can only conveniently go places where you can walk in straight lines across clean, level surfaces. That's not exactly common in places that are older than about a century.

Saladman posted:

Plus how often is the ground really uneven enough where wheels are not suitable? (Rome, Arab medinas, and.. nowhere else that I can think of in the developed or semi-developed world).

If you do enough traveling outside modern-built city centers you'll look back on this statement and laugh and laugh. Try bringing a rolling bag to India.

Meglar
Jun 9, 2002
The GF and I are heading to England for 10 days (possibly more) at the end of October. We'll be in London for a couple days to see some family, but the rest of the trip we'd like to get out and see some castles and sheep and inns and romantic countryside, preferably with some trains mixed in.

Most of the cooler castles I've looked up so far (Arundel, Bordian, Corfe) are south of London and seem a little overly touristy with people dressed up in costume and lots of activities for kids, though this might just be because it's summer right now. I am thinking things might get a little less crowded if we head north instead and go further from London. The Cotswalds look nice, and I'm a huge fan of the show The Trip, which was north. Does anyone have recommendations? I think our plan is going to be to pinpoint three or four castles we want to visit, then plan the route and pick inns and restaurants in the towns the castles are in.

We're in really early planning so any help would be appreciated.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Meglar posted:

The GF and I are heading to England for 10 days (possibly more) at the end of October. We'll be in London for a couple days to see some family, but the rest of the trip we'd like to get out and see some castles and sheep and inns and romantic countryside, preferably with some trains mixed in.

Most of the cooler castles I've looked up so far (Arundel, Bordian, Corfe) are south of London and seem a little overly touristy with people dressed up in costume and lots of activities for kids, though this might just be because it's summer right now. I am thinking things might get a little less crowded if we head north instead and go further from London. The Cotswalds look nice, and I'm a huge fan of the show The Trip, which was north. Does anyone have recommendations? I think our plan is going to be to pinpoint three or four castles we want to visit, then plan the route and pick inns and restaurants in the towns the castles are in.

We're in really early planning so any help would be appreciated.

During my trip to the UK I took a day trip from London to Dover Castle and that was really cool. It has a Roman lighthouse, the castle itself, as well as an underground bunker where the Royal Navy coordinated Operation Dynamo. They have a tour of the secret wartime tunnels which was pretty cool.

However, in my opinion I think some of the best castles are the Edwardian castles found in Wales, notably the ones in Northwest Wales. The three I went to were Beaumaris, Caernarfon, and Conwy. They're all great because they're cheap to get into and you can explore pretty much the whole castle. I enjoyed Caernarfon the most because from what I saw in 3 hours there was that practically the whole castle was open to be explored with towers fully open to climb to the top of. Not to mention that I had some amazing food in Wales as well.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
How about a bit of Bamburgh Castle up in Northumberland?

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I'll second Dover. Take the train out of London, go to Dover, see Canterbury and the Canterbury Cathedral, St. Augustine's Abbey, maybe some Canterbury/Chaucer stuff if you are into that, and be back to London by the time it is bedtime.

Meglar
Jun 9, 2002

MagicCube posted:

During my trip to the UK I took a day trip from London to Dover Castle and that was really cool. It has a Roman lighthouse, the castle itself, as well as an underground bunker where the Royal Navy coordinated Operation Dynamo. They have a tour of the secret wartime tunnels which was pretty cool.

However, in my opinion I think some of the best castles are the Edwardian castles found in Wales, notably the ones in Northwest Wales. The three I went to were Beaumaris, Caernarfon, and Conwy. They're all great because they're cheap to get into and you can explore pretty much the whole castle. I enjoyed Caernarfon the most because from what I saw in 3 hours there was that practically the whole castle was open to be explored with towers fully open to climb to the top of. Not to mention that I had some amazing food in Wales as well.

Wales sounds more like what I'd be into. I'd prefer to be able to explore rather than walk around cordoned-off areas with a guide telling me not to touch things. Did you do all of that in one day or were you there for a few? And how long a train ride is it from London?

Dover also sounds like a perfect day trip and I'm a sucker for bunkers.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Meglar posted:

Wales sounds more like what I'd be into. I'd prefer to be able to explore rather than walk around cordoned-off areas with a guide telling me not to touch things. Did you do all of that in one day or were you there for a few? And how long a train ride is it from London?

Dover also sounds like a perfect day trip and I'm a sucker for bunkers.

I was in Wales for 3 days and saw 1 per day. I had a lot of time though and was pacing myself, but they're all fairly close together and if you were driving you could probably hit them all in one day. I didn't go there from London but there is a direct train to Bangor that takes about 3 hours and Bangor is a good place to base yourself to see those 3 as there are buses to each town from there.

During my time in those castles I didn't see a single staff member other than at the entrance. It was pretty great walking up the spiral towers to the top and getting amazing views. It's very tiring, but very worth it.

SKEET SKEET
Jan 2, 2010
Going to be in Cambridge for school from July 14 - August 5. Anything I should be sure to do while I am there?

Also, what is the best neighborhood to stay for a 24 hour stopover in London? I want to take in as many sights as possible/grab a good bite to eat on my last night in the UK.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

duralict posted:

saladman posted:

Plus how often is the ground really uneven enough where wheels are not suitable? (Rome, Arab medinas, and.. nowhere else that I can think of in the developed or semi-developed world).

If you do enough traveling outside modern-built city centers you'll look back on this statement and laugh and laugh. Try bringing a rolling bag to India.

I definitely would never have considered India even remotely part of the semi-developed world. Maybe once people stop making GBS threads in the middle of main boulevards in big cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

SKEET SKEET posted:

Also, what is the best neighborhood to stay for a 24 hour stopover in London? I want to take in as many sights as possible/grab a good bite to eat on my last night in the UK.

Most of the fun stuff is between Hyde Park and the cathedral. The hostels around Leicester Square, Piccadilly Circus or Holborn are probably going to be the most convenient if you're walking everywhere. If you don't mind taking the tube a bit (and night buses if you stay out late), it doesn't really matter much as long as you stay relatively central.

e: slightly more practical advice: don't stay in City of London (near the Tower), it's basically just an office district and it's a ghost town at night. Also try to avoid staying south of the river or you'll have to do some convoluted stuff to make public transit work for you.

duralict fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jul 10, 2013