Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Is this some sort of performance art or something?

I understand the benefit and feel of instant torque and all that, but the e-golf is still slow as balls.

What sort of boring garbage were you driving before that makes a 10 second 0-60 car turn you into an rear end in a top hat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

kimbo305 posted:

There's already cars that perform as well as your car that people already drive. Are certainly plenty of cars that need more attention to drive fast.
The problem is the driver, not the car.

e: am I to understand that the e-Golf has a godly 200 ft-lb of torque?

I knew some douche was going to start talking poo poo on the specific type of car, so grats I guess.

My point is, and I urge you to read the whole post, that putting so much torque in the hands of the general public seems like a bad idea to me. With the automatic drivetrain coupled with the torque, it's just super easy to be a dick with that kind of power. And yes, these cars have existed before, but we're talking about a world where everyone has 200+lbs of torque, like you know, the teenager that just got his first car. That doesn't scare you at all?

You're welcome to disagree, but please do so on the basis of my post instead of being a dick :)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Powershift posted:

Is this some sort of performance art or something?

I understand the benefit and feel of instant torque and all that, but the e-golf is still slow as balls.

What sort of boring garbage were you driving before that makes a 10 second 0-60 car turn you into an rear end in a top hat?

Read my post, I drive on back country mountain roads. And on those roads, it's more like an automatic GTI, which again is enough but I'm talking about the car of 5-10 years from now where people have specs approaching Tesla on a standard car you would buy. Doesn't concern you even a bit huh?

If that doesn't warrant a discussion, then don't join it. And if you think I'm literally bragging about having an E-Golf, I don't know what to say.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Taima posted:

we're talking about a world where everyone has 200+lbs of torque

We're talking about a world where everyone drives a Kia Optima EX.

(235 ft-lb, 269 with turbo)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

E-Golf - Curb weight 3400lbs, HP 115, torque 199.

Focus ST - Curb weight 3223lbs, HP 252, torque 270.

I haven't noticed a transformation to a mad-man on the road yet after 16 months and 32k miles. Just how long does this take to work?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It *does* make a difference to have all that torque at 0 rpm, but only in getting away from the light.

People aren't going to all have 700 ft-lb Tesla-equivalent cars (even adjusted for not being 4800 lbs curb weight), because it will always be cheaper to have 200 ft-lb cars, and the downward price pressure is strong.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
In Texas every teenager dreams of having 300lb/ft in his or her F-150

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Locator posted:

E-Golf - Curb weight 3400lbs, HP 115, torque 199.

Focus ST - Curb weight 3223lbs, HP 252, torque 270.

I haven't noticed a transformation to a mad-man on the road yet after 16 months and 32k miles. Just how long does this take to work?

Stick a BMW badge onto your steering wheel and it's almost instantaneous.

Taima posted:

Read my post, I drive on back country mountain roads. And on those roads, it's more like an automatic GTI, which again is enough but I'm talking about the car of 5-10 years from now where people have specs approaching Tesla on a standard car you would buy. Doesn't concern you even a bit huh?

If that doesn't warrant a discussion, then don't join it. And if you think I'm literally bragging about having an E-Golf, I don't know what to say.

Manufacturers aren't going to suddenly put 500ft/lb electric motors into shitboxes simply because those motors exist. The E-golf is a perfect example. It's very indicative of what the average electric car will be, and that is slower than pretty much anything with a V6. They will outperform n/a i4 cars, but the average electric car will never be any more dangerous in the hands of an idiot than a V6 accord, v6 muscle car, or turbo 4 hot hatch. The 200ft/lb electric car is far more capable than a 124hp penalty box, but people who drive those probably never see full throttle to begin with.

You can pass cars you view to be slower because they're not driving like an rear end in a top hat, whether or not their car is more capable. A slow car being driven fast is faster than a fast car being driven slow, shocker.

I'm not trying to attack you or you car, but the e-golf is not fast enough to encourage inappropriate behavior. It may be the sensation of instant torque, or the aspirations of tesla ownership, or a history of 80hp cars inspiring it in you, but I would bet over half of the cars on the road could easily outrun you, and would be far more dangerous with a hard prod of the pedal. Apart from the B-class which sells like 14 cars a year, Mercedes doesn't sell a car here with less than 258ft/lbs and there are a lot of mercedes out there in the hands of new drivers, old drivers, and people who really don't give a poo poo about performance, and you really don't see them hanging from trees on the side of windy country roads.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Taima posted:

My point is, and I urge you to read the whole post, that putting so much torque in the hands of the general public seems like a bad idea to me. With the automatic drivetrain coupled with the torque, it's just super easy to be a dick with that kind of power.
Some proportion of the population is always going to drive badly and over-aggressively.

quote:

And yes, these cars have existed before, but we're talking about a world where everyone has 200+lbs of torque, like you know, the teenager that just got his first car. That doesn't scare you at all?

This thought is what puzzles people arguing with you -- plenty of cars have much harder acceleration than the car you're currently driving. I'm not scared because that's reality.
There's cars that rival the acceleration of the Tesla, too. It's not completely inaccessibly acceleration that is only going to happen with popularization of electric cars, whether luxury cars with powerful motors or electric analogs to existing mass-market cars. That kind of acceleration is already available for $30-40k.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Everyone in the United States is driving around a super-car powered giant pickup truck and you are worried about electric cars making rear end in a top hat drivers? The driver is always the rear end in a top hat, the car is just a tool. Take some responsibility for your rear end in a top hat driving. For the record I'm daily driving a 38~ horsepower van right now with probably two farts work of torque so I guess I'm the best driver in the world.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kimbo305 posted:

There's cars that rival the acceleration of the Tesla, too. It's not completely inaccessibly acceleration that is only going to happen with popularization of electric cars, whether luxury cars with powerful motors or electric analogs to existing mass-market cars. That kind of acceleration is already available for $30-40k.

Let's not get crazy here. If there's a $40K car that accelerates like a P85D I want to make its acquaintance.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Powershift posted:

drat it. I knew I should have kept a momento from the M3 when I sold it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Let's not get crazy here. If there's a $40K car that accelerates like a P85D I want to make its acquaintance.

That's not going to happen, the P85D is really something special.

The 70D, however, 0-60 5.1 seconds, 13.8@101mph quarter mile. A $40k poop group charger does 0-60 in 4.1 and 12.4@115mph. Tesla's party piece which is it's passing times having only 1 gear are remarkably close as well, the tesla 30-50 is 2.0 and 50-70 is 3.1, the scat pack charger is 30-50 in 2.1, 50-70 in 2.9.

The range anxiety is similar, too. The tesla will do 240 miles to a charge, the charger 250 miles to a set of tires.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Corvette-Z06-/252361430657
It's used (and not a big sedan), but it is a car that you can get right now and be terribly irresponsible with.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

kimbo305 posted:

e: am I to understand that the e-Golf has a godly 200 ft-lb of torque?

Gosh, that's almost as much as the '93 Taurus I drove in high school!

Admittedly that thing had a lot more power than I was used to and I also drove it like a douche because it was more fun that way.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

KakerMix posted:

The driver is always the rear end in a top hat, the car is just a tool. Take some responsibility for your rear end in a top hat driving.

Welcome to the Republican Party, and the second amendment.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

You can get a motorcycle that will out-accelerate a P85D for under $10k brand new.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Guys I got a chance to see the revised model S in person today. (Factory has one on display)

It looks damned good.

blugu64 posted:

Was wondering how long that argument would take.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

You can get a motorcycle that will out-accelerate a P85D for under $10k brand new.

When I test drove the P85D, my thoughts were along those lines. You CAN out-accelerate it with certain bikes but you have to be a pretty good rider to do it. Unless the electronics are helping you out, launching hard without 12 o'clocking isn't easy. In the Tesla it's just putting your foot down.

Sure, there are launch control and anti wheelie technology to help you. But then consider what the argument is. A highly specialized, electronically aided track weapon bragging about out-accelerating a two ton eco friendly family car.

That's why I sympathize with the e-Golf comment. It might not actually be fast, but it feels faster than things that are actually faster. That instant, quiet, magnetic woosh is a very different sensation to the ketchup squeeze bottle power delivery of ICE. And since it tapers off before you smash any major speed limits, it's legal fun as well.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have learned things, thank you! The thing I haven't found in even a Ferrari (passenger, not driver) is the eyeball-deforming leap off the line, and I haven't even driven Ludicrous. I assumed that it's because it has all its torque at 0rpm, so the change in acceleration is massive. But I haven't really thought about it deeply, and my physics marks were "often attended".

(Come on new Roadster, my body is ready. Even though I'm quite pissed at Tesla right now; it'll pass.)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ola posted:

That's why I sympathize with the e-Golf comment. It might not actually be fast, but it feels faster than things that are actually faster. That instant, quiet, magnetic woosh is a very different sensation to the ketchup squeeze bottle power delivery of ICE. And since it tapers off before you smash any major speed limits, it's legal fun as well.

So pick up a Zero SR. 0-60 in 3.3 seconds, all electric, $13k. Tesla P85D starts at $121,000.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have an M4 and drive like an rear end in a top hat.

In my past I've driven everything from a 78 280z with busted 4th gear to a 1994 Plymouth Voyager the color of severely bruised white skin.

I've always driven like an rear end in a top hat.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

So pick up a Zero SR. 0-60 in 3.3 seconds, all electric, $13k. Tesla P85D starts at $121,000.

I'd love one. But nobody's asking for shopping advice.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Powershift posted:

I saw on the street in Philadelphia an i8 which is both BMW and electric! Was my life in danger? Was he about to pull out of traffic and onto the sidewalk to show off his excessive torque? :ohdear:

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I have a little sympathy for the "electric makes me drive like an rear end in a top hat" thing; I don't think it's entirely the acceleration, I think it's partly the *quiet*. Because in my non-electric car, the thing that mostly limits me from accelerating quickly is that the car makes a horrible noise if I really put my foot down.

But I'm not really convinced that accelerating quickly alone is enough to make your driving assholish. I only accelerate fast into roads with no cars in the way, anyway, which doesn't seem like it should really bother anyone.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

fordan posted:

I was on the street in Philadelphia Was my life in danger? :ohdear:

Yes

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

blugu64 posted:

You do have a point though, the stated purpose for a gun is pretty much the same as a giant lifted truck.

Compensation.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Is that REALLY where you want to take this thread?

Anti-gun people are just as irritating as the loud pro-gun people.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Subjunctive posted:

Plenty of $100k cars though

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Godholio posted:

Is that REALLY where you want to take this thread?

Anti-gun people are just as irritating as the loud pro-gun people.

I was talking about rear end in a top hat drivers being rear end in a top hat drivers, someone else brought up the second amendment. If some dude is afraid of becoming a douchebag because he drives an e-Golf it isn't the car's problem.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Also there was a little psych study going around about how Prius drivers were bigger jerks on the road because of the compensation idea - they feel like they're doing something good by driving a Prius and that this entitles them to act more like jerks on the road because it still evens out. Maybe this e-golf thing is basically the same idea.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mange Mite posted:

Also there was a little psych study going around about how Prius drivers were bigger jerks on the road because of the compensation idea - they feel like they're doing something good by driving a Prius and that this entitles them to act more like jerks on the road because it still evens out. Maybe this e-golf thing is basically the same idea.

This is why all EV owners should make it a mission to cut off Prius drivers, really put them in their place.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I have a bright red A3 TDI (236 lb-ft) and I drive it exactly the same as I drove my baby blue, 3-speed auto 1990 Corolla: fairly chill and more then happy to stop for pedestrians or let someone merge in front of me. If you drive like an rear end in a top hat it isn't because of your car (or truck, or bike).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

roomforthetuna posted:

I have a little sympathy for the "electric makes me drive like an rear end in a top hat" thing; I don't think it's entirely the acceleration, I think it's partly the *quiet*. Because in my non-electric car, the thing that mostly limits me from accelerating quickly is that the car makes a horrible noise if I really put my foot down.

But I'm not really convinced that accelerating quickly alone is enough to make your driving assholish. I only accelerate fast into roads with no cars in the way, anyway, which doesn't seem like it should really bother anyone.

Yeah, I lose track of my speed a lot more easily than in our ICE car. And yes, accelerating at ~3/4 of max away from the light, up to limit + 5, is fun. poo poo doesn't stay in the under-screen storage compartment though.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

If you're predisposed to driving like a jerk I think there's something to the car/driving style correlation. Mid 20's through early 30's I drove a highly modified supercharged manual transmission import, and I drove like a MORON a lot of the time. I sold it and bought a Grand Cherokee and immediately became 65mph cruise control grandpa man at age 31. Part of that was growing up, for sure, but without the manual and the blower, there's not a lot of urge to drive in a "spirited" fashion.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Mange Mite posted:

With my Prius, I know that even if I floor it, nothing bad is really going to happen. I've driven a Ferrari 458, and I was scared of taking corners too quickly and blasting past the speed limit in this red speeding ticket magnet.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mange Mite posted:

That kind of "study" always stinks of such overwhelming bullshit. Now, if they determined that Prius drivers drive like jerks because they are in fact taxi drivers, that I would understand.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Mange Mite posted:

Plenty of $100k cars though

While carrying 4 of your friends?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

While carrying 4 of your friends?

The Tesla is still a very special car, but this debate has been whether the availability of massive potent acceleration (that could cause a rise in bad driver behavior) is yet to come through electric cars or whether it's already here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The only thing that the past few pages has taught me is that E-Golf guy has never been in an actually-fast car.

• Locked thread