Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Shima Honnou posted:

D-league sports in a school gym with maybe 50 people watching it, with the commentary being entirely either players who are barely audible or a commentary track that is recorded entirely through the crew mic picking it up over PA instead of anywhere close to from the actual source.

I'll take "Things that drive a transcriber to madness or suicide" for 300, Alex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

So I found out when you transcribe a native Maori speaker discussing the haka and using a shitload of Maori terms for 90 minutes, and then you plug that transcript into Word and hit spell-check, Word has an astonishing fit.

At one point I expected it to come up with a prompt, "You're loving with me, right?"

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
15 minutes in out of 90 and the "you know" count is up to 106.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

kazmeyer posted:

So I found out when you transcribe a native Maori speaker discussing the haka and using a shitload of Maori terms for 90 minutes, and then you plug that transcript into Word and hit spell-check, Word has an astonishing fit.

At one point I expected it to come up with a prompt, "You're loving with me, right?"

Yes. I have gotten the Word message that in effect there are too many typos and misspellings to perform a spell check. I wonder what the limit is? This was in a file with a lot of names and a lot of legal terms, and it was a huge file. I wish Word would tell me how many typos is too many for a proper spell check.

But I haven't yet run into this in Word 2013 (or whatever it is I have--I think that's it). It does tell me I'm "good to go" when I am in fact not good to go.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

thylacine posted:

Been there before. Still think mm-hmm is infinitely worse because fuckers insist on doing that when someone's halfway through a sentence and gently caress a full verbatim video where someone's mm-hmming.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

thylacine posted:

Is it a Matt Damon interview?

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Shima Honnou posted:

Been there before. Still think mm-hmm is infinitely worse because fuckers insist on doing that when someone's halfway through a sentence and gently caress a full verbatim video where someone's mm-hmming.

Yeah. Some people do this to prompt the interviewee, but Jesus gently caress when you're grunting and "Mm-hmm"-ing every other word I don't know how the interviewee doesn't just break down and beat them to death with their own tape recorder. Enjoy your unreadable transcripts, you idiots.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Nope not Matt drat, just the son of some semi-famous person. He's from California and can't express an idea without mumbling/stumbling/stuttering the first few sentences and then interjecting "you know" every other line.

We're up to almost 300 35 minutes in.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Rhymes With Clue posted:

Yes. I have gotten the Word message that in effect there are too many typos and misspellings to perform a spell check. I wonder what the limit is? This was in a file with a lot of names and a lot of legal terms, and it was a huge file. I wish Word would tell me how many typos is too many for a proper spell check.

But I haven't yet run into this in Word 2013 (or whatever it is I have--I think that's it). It does tell me I'm "good to go" when I am in fact not good to go.

I'm using the new subscription-based Office, and it didn't choke -- but it still took me something like 20 minutes to click through every single term.

Was a fantastic interview though, I'm not complaining about it. Client had a Maori speaker on standby, so honestly I could've just time-coded everything that wasn't English and they would've fixed it on the back end, but I got picked because I mentioned I had NZ experience and in particular experience with Maori cultural basics, so I wanted to show off. Grabbed an online Maori dictionary and nailed like 90% of the terms, and I would've gotten everything except he started using complete Maori sentences and I wasn't quite up to learning how to conjugate their verbs. Earned another "holy cow" citation from the client when the Maori proofer said I'd absolutely destroyed it, though, and that's what it's all about. :)

Ugh, so glad most of my clients understand that "absolute verbatim" is usually more trouble than it's worth. Honestly, this Maori transcript was the first verbatim job I've done in like months.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

kazmeyer posted:

I'm using the new subscription-based Office, and it didn't choke -- but it still took me something like 20 minutes to click through every single term.

Was a fantastic interview though, I'm not complaining about it. Client had a Maori speaker on standby, so honestly I could've just time-coded everything that wasn't English and they would've fixed it on the back end, but I got picked because I mentioned I had NZ experience and in particular experience with Maori cultural basics, so I wanted to show off. Grabbed an online Maori dictionary and nailed like 90% of the terms, and I would've gotten everything except he started using complete Maori sentences and I wasn't quite up to learning how to conjugate their verbs. Earned another "holy cow" citation from the client when the Maori proofer said I'd absolutely destroyed it, though, and that's what it's all about. :)

Ugh, so glad most of my clients understand that "absolute verbatim" is usually more trouble than it's worth. Honestly, this Maori transcript was the first verbatim job I've done in like months.

Hey, how are you feeling about the new Office? Worth it?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Slightly Used Cake posted:

Hey, how are you feeling about the new Office? Worth it?

I actually only ended up going this route because my Windows 10 upgrade turned into the Bataan Death March and when I was finally done I couldn't find my old 2007 discs and key and had a deadline to meet. So I subbed, got the free month, and figured I'd ditch it if it was crappy. It's good, the suite's fast and responsive, and I dig the access-anywhere part of it and the constant upgrades -- when I first started, Excel was doing something (that I can't remember) in kind of a clunky way that bugged me, and then they pushed out an update and it went away. Honestly, though, if you're using an older version and it's still working for you, I don't necessarily see a reason to upgrade, or to go the subscription route over just buying the new version. If all you use Office for is Word docs and the odd Excel sheet, the bells and whistles are a bit superfluous.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I just had a client on Zerys send me multiple messages where they told me about all the issues they had with my piece, at which point they proceeded to rewrite the ENTIRE article from top to bottom (seriously none of my content remains), and then... they paid me and gave me a good rating.

:shrug:

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

kazmeyer posted:

I actually only ended up going this route because my Windows 10 upgrade turned into the Bataan Death March and when I was finally done I couldn't find my old 2007 discs and key and had a deadline to meet. So I subbed, got the free month, and figured I'd ditch it if it was crappy. It's good, the suite's fast and responsive, and I dig the access-anywhere part of it and the constant upgrades -- when I first started, Excel was doing something (that I can't remember) in kind of a clunky way that bugged me, and then they pushed out an update and it went away. Honestly, though, if you're using an older version and it's still working for you, I don't necessarily see a reason to upgrade, or to go the subscription route over just buying the new version. If all you use Office for is Word docs and the odd Excel sheet, the bells and whistles are a bit superfluous.

That's basically what I assumed, but it's good to have it confirmed from a trusted source, thanks!

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Gonna dip my toes in the transcription pool. Anybody do work for Way With Words? The pay rate for their no-experience-required stuff is painful judging by my working speed so far but idk how easy it is to get past that.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This file is five solid minutes of listing doctor's names and what they are going to talk about. I was able to find Dr. Wijdicks on the internet, but now they're talking about a "Dr. St Louis" and I've become convinced that they're just loving with me.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Is there a title or anything for the presentation? That+one of the doc's names and you might be able to find information/a speaker list.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

thylacine posted:

Is there a title or anything for the presentation? That+one of the doc's names and you might be able to find information/a speaker list.

Nah, it was a podcast, dude was just listing various doctors and their papers. It would have be an entirely hopeless cause if it weren't for all the medical papers and their hilariously long titles.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Anyone know if DT's EOD is still whenever in the evening? Someone mentioned once that they don't check stuff EOD until the next day and don't care, but then they sent out that "don't turn in late stuff" memo. I'm just gonna assume if they really wanted it at 5 they would put that as the due time like they sometimes do instead of just EOD.

gently caress I hate Road Spill.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
EOD is supposed to be 8pm EST but enforcement of that is spotty at best. It's been a little while since I've bothered giving them any of my time though because they're poo poo and their assignments are also poo poo. gently caress Road Spill.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It's just a crapshoot, whenever a QA person has nothing else to check and wants to know where your file is. At the absolute latest , one of them will be up at like 4am the next morning wanting to know where your stuff is. Back when they were super busy they were leaving themselves less breathing room and would assign stuff due EOD when it had to be reviewed and back to the client late that evening. Of course one time I turned in a file, and it wasn't reviewed until like 3 days later, so :shrug:

And yes, gently caress Road Spill.

Road Spill, LHH with it's bullshit new format, medical nonsense, and Comedians in Cars are all on my auto-reject list now.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

It's just a crapshoot, whenever a QA person has nothing else to check and wants to know where your file is. At the absolute latest , one of them will be up at like 4am the next morning wanting to know where your stuff is. Back when they were super busy they were leaving themselves less breathing room and would assign stuff due EOD when it had to be reviewed and back to the client late that evening. Of course one time I turned in a file, and it wasn't reviewed until like 3 days later, so :shrug:

And yes, gently caress Road Spill.

Road Spill, LHH with it's bullshit new format, medical nonsense, and Comedians in Cars are all on my auto-reject list now.

Ugh. What's new with LHH? I remember pages of:

q: Say this!

a: This!

Q: Say this this!

a: This uh, poo poo what was it again? This th-well that's not it, uh, repeat that for me please.

q: This this

a: This well.. this? I can't remember sorry.. This the? The this? Help me out here.

etc.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
Only been doing this for a month, but that LHH format is the worst thing I have ever seen.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

thylacine posted:

Ugh. What's new with LHH? I remember pages of:

q: Say this!

a: This!

Q: Say this this!

a: This uh, poo poo what was it again? This th-well that's not it, uh, repeat that for me please.

q: This this

a: This well.. this? I can't remember sorry.. This the? The this? Help me out here.

etc.

The new LHH stuff is a two column format. It's dumber than your standard two column format. Even the new sample complains about how it sucks.

Still .75/min though, because gently caress you.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

LHH is one of the worst clients generally. They're not the norm though. I can't wait to see this new format everybody's talking about.

counterfeitsaint posted:

You mean you don't enjoy assignments where only two people are miked, but everyone who walks within range of the recording has to be timestamped and transcribed verbatim? I am shocked. How dare you not want to do all this work for their base pay rate.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Hearing a mic'd Steve Martin take a leak is the only fun part that was ever in Comedians.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

AuntBuck posted:

You mean you don't enjoy assignments where only two people are miked, but everyone who walks within range of the recording has to be timestamped and transcribed verbatim? I am shocked. How dare you not want to do all this work for their base pay rate.

Ahh, so that's what it's like. I was gonna say, I wouldn't mind doing a Comedians in Cars...

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Ahh, so that's what it's like. I was gonna say, I wouldn't mind doing a Comedians in Cars...

Every utterance is to be transcribed and time stamped. The last one I did is the only assignment I've ever had sent back twice, and both times what I was supposed to "correct" was to add pages and pages of more "Yeahs" "Uh-huh" etc into the other person talking. The last version I turned in was over 150 pages.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I like Seinfeld and the show, but he's the worst stutterfucker. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just two people chatting in a car, but they're always out in public doing the "man on the street" bit. And I got to work on the one with the most insufferable "celebrity" I've ever heard of:

http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/jerry-s-next-guest-is-miranda-sings-episode-trailer

I don't know how Seinfeld managed to deal with listening to this person in character for an afternoon.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Yeah, I've worked on properties I enjoy (Iron Chef, Cutthroat Kitchen, those movies with that NDA I always mention that may have possibly included a clause about a shotgun) that I loving hated working on (let's see how many people can talk over each other, preferably off-screen, at once, or let's interview everyone on the crew, especially those with really thick accents who get star-struck at being in front of the camera and turn into gibbering wrecks). I've also worked on shows I actively loathe (Big Bang Theory, Two and a Half Men, Two Broke Girls) that had a limited cast and were edited and paced perfectly to make working on them a breeze. It's always nice when you manage to score something you dig and it doesn't turn out to be a nightmare. (I'm finishing my last Person of Interest reel right now and am super sad about it.)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Yes you would. Coms in Cars got my buddy to literally quit this job.

Like, quit and went to work in a loving restaurant. That's how bad CinC did him. And I don't mean working for like $10-15 as a cook I mean minimum wage restaurant work.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 23, 2015

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
edit: lol nope, I wouldn't either.

unbuttonedclone fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 24, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Lol at poor Sally desperately trying to get anyone to take Comedians in Cars today. I guess they don't get assigned like regular assignments because the rejection rate is so high?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

Lol at poor Sally desperately trying to get anyone to take Comedians in Cars today. I guess they don't get assigned like regular assignments because the rejection rate is so high?

She said that was all the work she had today.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Woof. Downturn seems to be industry-wide. Last week Friday was the first time in months I didn't have anything to send out.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

I think you need some kind of equipment to do this that not everybody has. Maybe Transcriber?

Rhymes With Clue fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 28, 2015

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Rhymes With Clue posted:

I think you need some kind of equipment to do this that not everybody has. Maybe Transcriber?

No, they're just too lazy to do it. All you have to do is load it in Quicktime and find the start time.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

thylacine posted:

She said that was all the work she had today.

That was all the work she had left, at the time. She was saying that in the hopes that people would volunteer to take it, thinking there would be nothing else today. She gave me an assignment (thank god) 20 minutes before that, and then later tonight I got another assignment to do tomorrow. I've been assigned CinC like normal work several times in the past, even with the dumb quicktime thing, I really think it's just toxically unpopular. The rate keeps slowly climbing as well, it started at .75/minute.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Some people will say anything to get you to accept a crappy file. Comedians started out at 1.00 a minute and DT dropped it to the base rate pretty much immediately, I think because no one complained about the work. I wouldn't work on it for 2.00 a minute.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Woof. Downturn seems to be industry-wide. Last week Friday was the first time in months I didn't have anything to send out.

Yeah I felt that one for sure. Gave me some time to jack around and watch TV without writing during it though. Quantico is pretty alright and it's nice to see foreign stars branching out. Used the free time last night to watch the newest episode, and Jurassic World, and also lift a bit since I just used reality and sports TV money to buy some kettlebell weights.

Rhymes With Clue posted:

AuntBuck posted:

Some people will say anything to get you to accept a crappy file. Comedians started out at 1.00 a minute and DT dropped it to the base rate pretty much immediately, I think because no one complained about the work. I wouldn't work on it for 2.00 a minute.

CoCs starts up in basically anything (At least definitely after running it through a video converter) and it's universally poo poo. They don't have enough money to make me willingly touch it, I'd rather eat a week with no work at all, and if the type-crew is smart they'll do the same.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

It must be difficult being a biotruther and being HIV positive.