Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I honestly thought I had my best year yet. 40/50 by my count.

Ones I missed (that I remember) include:
4th president of the US (said Quincy Adams, was Madison)
Author of "The Optimist's Daughter (had no earthly, was Eudora Welty)
The river in Venezuela that empties out near Trinidad (said azul, it's Orinoco)
Author of "What is the What" (had no earthly, was Dave Eggers)
7-Letter word for "putting money in the palm of a bureaucrat" (panicked and said 'buttering,' but pretty sure they wanted 'bribing')
Author of 100 Years of Solitude (said Martinez, was Marquez)
Tallest mountain in Greece (panicked like a dolt and said Vesuvius, it's effing Olympus)

Maybe:
Roman emperor's personal bodyguard (spelled it 'pretorian," but it's spelled 'praetorian')

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Dude I hope you got the Gene Hackman question right

They'll probably give you pretorian

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zakharov posted:

Dude I hope you got the Gene Hackman question right

Ha! I almost panicked thinking they were looking for the directors, but it really helps when you read the damned clue.

quote:

They'll probably give you pretorian

Hell, even if they don't, 39 is still an all-time personal best. If they call, they call. If they don't, gently caress it -- they're bringing back The $100,000 Pyramid this summer and I can always use an excuse to visit my brother in New York.

(Can't even remember what the Emma Lazarus question was, but I'm pretty sure I got that wrong)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

44 if the test is about as lenient on spelling as the show is. Missed Orinoco, asparagus, Sutter Mill, Eudora Welty (froze and spat out Carson McCullars at the last second), lion (said mountain lion), rivet (no excuse, somehow got to "rebar").

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 28, 2016

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

44 if the test is about as lenient on spelling as the show is.

Same. Definitely my best year, so obviously I won't get a callback from the random pool they choose.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Still offering Corina's email for contestant referrals if anyone thinks they did well enough and want another (possible) leg up!

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

GhostStalker posted:

Still offering Corina's email for contestant referrals if anyone thinks they did well enough and want another (possible) leg up!
This is the first time I'm confident I broke 40, I'll take any help I can get

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

I honestly thought I had my best year yet. 40/50 by my count.

Ones I missed (that I remember) include:
4th president of the US (said Quincy Adams, was Madison)
Author of "The Optimist's Daughter (had no earthly, was Eudora Welty)
The river in Venezuela that empties out near Trinidad (said azul, it's Orinoco)
Author of "What is the What" (had no earthly, was Dave Eggers)
7-Letter word for "putting money in the palm of a bureaucrat" (panicked and said 'buttering,' but pretty sure they wanted 'bribing')
Author of 100 Years of Solitude (said Martinez, was Marquez)
Tallest mountain in Greece (panicked like a dolt and said Vesuvius, it's effing Olympus)

Maybe:
Roman emperor's personal bodyguard (spelled it 'pretorian," but it's spelled 'praetorian')

I missed a lot of the same ones, I think I got 38-39.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
I think I got at least 43. Really really hoping that's good enough.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Nice wager, Fred, you utter dipshit

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?

Soothing Vapors posted:

Nice wager, Fred, you utter dipshit

At least we won't get that annoying pause when he picks a category anymore.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

GhostStalker posted:

Out of curiosity (because I know I didn't hit it) what is considered good enough to hit the potential pool? 37-ish?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

HookShot posted:

Out of curiosity (because I know I didn't hit it) what is considered good enough to hit the potential pool? 37-ish?

They release no info about this, but past years suggest 35/50 is generally required.

Finally Fred's godawful betting bites him in the rear end. Bye!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
One minute! Good luck, everyone!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

drat, that was rough. Way tougher for me than the practice test.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure I broke 35, I had a rough patch in the beginning though.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

I think I got around 35... Curious to see the answers whenever they're collected

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

From Jboard, can't guarantee these are right

1 Gables
2 Ultron
3 lever
4 Carson City
5 Sikh
6 Pizarro
7 Michener
8 Ramadan
9 Sodom and Gomorrah
10 spinach
11 regatta
12 Ontario
13 White Stripes
14 Patricai Cornwell
15 John Quincy Adams
16 symbiosis
17 sonata
18 nave
19 lexicon
20 Eat, Pray, Love
21 Clara Barton
22 petition
23 The Tempest
24 fifth?
25 Tierra Del Fuego
26 Law & Order
27 Mr. Darcy
28 bases
29 Kanye West
30 Saudi Arabia
31 Australia
32 mongrel
33 Vines
34 melting pot
35 The Jungle
36 Yosemite
37 Jennifer Aniston
38 Amnesty International
39 MRI
40 Vincent Van Gogh
41 lipstick
42 Gaelic
43 Rangers
44 Mayan
45 Ta-Nehisi Coates
46 waltz
47 cube root
48 Daniel Day-Lewis
49 The Grinch
50 alchemy

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

e: nope nevermind

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I think I got 33, poo poo.

zakharov posted:

47 cube root
I realized what they were looking for after I submitted, but I answered prime factor for this one. I wonder if they'll accept it.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 29, 2016

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Wow, seems like every year one of the three days is way, way easier than the others. Guess that was yesterday.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

zakharov posted:

They release no info about this, but past years suggest 35/50 is generally required.

Cool, interesting to know.

One year I'll actually start learning things about the poo poo I know nothing about (America, books, the bible) and maybe then I'll get there :)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the gently caress was fred thinking with that bet.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

the gently caress was fred thinking with that bet.
Every time, terrible mistakes in wagering trump knowledge on this show. There's absolutely no reason that one a couple weeks ago should have ended in $0/$0/$0 either

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

my biggest pet peeve is people not knowing how to do basic wagering (like i said before not even going into game theory). i know at least three times i've seen a third place person lose when they woulda won by betting nothing but for god knows what reason they bet the house. you always bet 0 when you're way behind 1st and 2nd. poo poo is triggering as gently caress.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 29, 2016

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

you always bet 0 when you're way behind 1st and 2nd.
At least if your score going into final is greater than the difference between the two competitors in front

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

my biggest pet peeve is people not knowing how to do basic wagering (like i said before not even going into game theory). i know at least three times i've seen a third place person lose when they woulda won by betting nothing but for god knows what reason they bet the house. you always bet 0 when you're way behind 1st and 2nd. poo poo is triggering as gently caress.

Or they just don't care about the most autistically "correct" wager and just want to ball out in the likely one time in their life they'll be on national television.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Or they just don't care about the most autistically "correct" wager and just want to ball out in the likely one time in their life they'll be on national television.
hmmmm yes trying to win a game show with a cash prize is a very characteristically autistic thing to do

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

zVxTeflon posted:

how the gently caress was todays FJ a triple stumper?

quoting this because it also applies to todays show

Cool Cherry Cream
Jun 15, 2013
I thought it was pretty easy and hoped one of the contestants would've mistakenly guessed Benedict Cumberbatch instead

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

hmmmm yes trying to win a game show with a cash prize is a very characteristically autistic thing to do

I don't know if you realize how dumb this sounds but yeah. From a strict mathematical odds standpoint it makes the most sense but it also requires both opponents getting it wrong and betting enough to overtake them. It's the safest move but you're still probably going to lose.

E: And I guess the actual autistic thing is getting upset irl about people wagering wrong.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 30, 2016

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I don't know if you realize how dumb this sounds but yeah. From a strict mathematical odds standpoint it makes the most sense but it also requires both opponents getting it wrong and betting enough to overtake them. It's the safest move but you're still probably going to lose.
And yet this exact situation has happened over and over and over this season

E: And I guess the actual autistic thing is getting upset irl about people wagering wrong.
e: yeah, it doesn't make much sense to be pissed at contestants on a game show, but given the non-negligible process of doing the online test and screen testing probably several years in a row, you'd think contestants would spend 30 minutes studying the most important thing you could possibly know before appearing

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 30, 2016

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Of course it happens but you have no way of knowing if it's going to happen in your game and "gently caress it bet it all I lost anyway" seems like a pretty normal response. Some people just want to play a guessy game on TV and not maximize their game show earnings potential. There are a ton of ideal strategies that few people use because they just aren't invested in it to that degree. You're looking at it from a "do everything possible to win" perspective when I think most people view the experience as "have a fun story to tell people and maybe win some money if I'm lucky." I think most contestants are just stoked to get on the show and of course they'd like to win but not to the point that they think of all the ways to maximize their odds in all scenarios.

E: And yeah you'd think they would with how hard it is to get on, but eh.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 30, 2016

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think the #1 factor in betting is their confidence in the topic. If I'm in third place and the topic is something I know, I'm going to bet it all in hopes of maximizing my money. I would be playing to win, not to not-lose if the other two are wrong.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I can understand messing up a bet from 2nd or 3rd but wagers like Fred's that allow to you to lose even if you get it right from first place annoy me. It's the most basic betting.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

I think the #1 factor in betting is their confidence in the topic. If I'm in third place and the topic is something I know, I'm going to bet it all in hopes of maximizing my money. I would be playing to win, not to not-lose if the other two are wrong.

Yeah that is probably the most common response I bet

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'm pretty sure I got 46 out of 50 on the test. If they give me credit for "Welly" instead of "Welty" and "praetor" instead of "praetorian". Which they probably won't. But still pretty good, unfortunately on those two clues I was typing super fast at the buzzer.

And I fuckin' forgot Gene Hackman was in Unforgiven, so that was a dumb mistake.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Anne Whateley posted:

you STILL need them to both get it wrong if you get it right and bet in that scenario though, that's why it's stupid to even chance it by wagering

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yes, but then I would win double the money. It's not the most conservative strategy, but it's definitely the way humans work.

There's also a possibility that they didn't feel confident in the topic and bet a small amount, and we were close enough that if I bet all of mine, I would be able to win even if they got it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The real winning strategy is just to own them so hard that final doesn't matter.