Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I will argue until the end of time when Earth is a burned out husk and the sun has collapsed into a nebulous and angry hole in the fabric of reality that DmC is really not that bad of a game, so I am excited for both DMC4 and DmC. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

CJacobs posted:

I will argue until the end of time when Earth is a burned out husk and the sun has collapsed into a nebulous and angry hole in the fabric of reality that DmC is really not that bad of a game, so I am excited for both DMC4 and DmC. :toot:

Nah it was an okay game but really loving lovely as a sequel to the DMC franchise. It's why all those changes are being added, because it was actually kind of bad.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I don't remember when but Pat once said that DmC actually slots nicely between the God of War style CA games and the real poo poo like MGR. The only issue really is the name.

Grand Cross
Dec 10, 2014

Rodyle posted:

I don't remember when but Pat once said that DmC actually slots nicely between the God of War style CA games and the real poo poo like MGR. The only issue really is the name.

Don't forget the bad writing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh yeah the writing in the game is total garbage and possibly offensive at points but the gameplay is still fun and smooth. I don't know why I bother defending the game when most of the time the response is a very hesitant "eeeeeehhhh it was a good GAME but not a good DMC game". Hopefully the re-release will deliver on its promise to fix all the complaints it's received over the years.

Grand Cross
Dec 10, 2014
Comp has been stuck in my head all day. Thanks, Matt.

Eneenee Meneenee Minemineneenee no.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah no amount of gameplay improvements to DmC are going to change the repulsive writing and story

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No amount of gameplay improvements are going to fix that the boss fights are bad and the enemies are poorly designed too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I also have just started watching the The Evil Within playthrough and man that moment in part 4 where the game just dumps a million fuckin enemies on you was incredible. This game seems awesome so far, I can't wait to see how all the cool awesome stuff gets hosed up in the next 20 parts to justify peoples' gripes with it.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Grand Cross posted:

Don't forget the bad writing.

I really love the Machinima video TBF did for DmC and in the beginning of the game, Mundus is casually threatening the president like a mustache twirling villain.

"Mundus is threatening Obama!!! :argh: "

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So Matt is giving yet another nifty Kickstarter the Best Friends Bump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpcdhqiFf9E

Looks cool, normally I don't back games this far away but much like Matt I've wanted a game like this since I was little and it has a decent pedigree behind it.

Plus it's only 20 Maple Land Fun Bucks to get the nice beta access+game tier, which is like 17 real dollars.

So yea, if you look at Evolve and think 'you know what'd be cooler, if this was Friday the 13th instead, worth backing. Only has a couple more days left though, but the goal has been hit.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nah it was an okay game but really loving lovely as a sequel to the DMC franchise. It's why all those changes are being added, because it was actually kind of bad.

But it was a reboot, not a sequel? Fans talk about Dmc making GBS threads up a golden franchise, even when it's completely removed from any of the 4 development staffs and the story continuity. Wand of Gamelon is a poo poo game, but I seriously can't think of a single historian counting it up as having a serious impact in the natural procession of Zelda sequels. Like, are SSS Ranks suddenly refundable for cash now or what.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No one gives a poo poo about the DMC story, the point is how builds upon the gameplay which it didn't do in a unique or interest way. If the way you make a name for a new start for Devil May Cry is by turning it into a mediocre hack n slash then that's a really bad way to start it anew.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If your ranking system is based solely on just hitting things a lot, you missed the entire point of why you made DMC and taking that brand.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

No one gives a poo poo about the DMC story, the point is how builds upon the gameplay which it didn't do in a unique or interest way. If the way you make a name for a new start for Devil May Cry is by turning it into a mediocre hack n slash then that's a really bad way to start it anew.

Right, but what I'm saying is none of that impacts what makes the first four Dmcs great, and there is no rule stating that Capcom has to give up production on a Dmc5 while allowing a western Dmc to be made, just their lovely practices and limitations that make it so. Dmc to me isn't so much Devil May Cry's worst game as Ninja Theory's best game; gently caress your brand, any Devil May Cry fan should have been able to tell from the moment they laid eyes on it not to endorse a game they already knew had nothing better for them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tae posted:

If your ranking system is based solely on just hitting things a lot, you missed the entire point of why you made DMC and taking that brand.
The weapon switching shoulder button holding thing DmC did was really cool and I'm glad they did it that way. Combat in that game is very seamless and if the style system wasn't so forgiving in that one I'm certain long-time DMC fans would have fewer complaints.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What the gently caress are you even talking about? You seem to be ranting about nothing.

CJacobs posted:

The weapon switching shoulder button holding thing DmC did was really cool and I'm glad they did it that way. Combat in that game is very seamless and if the style system wasn't so forgiving in that one I'm certain long-time DMC fans would have fewer complaints.

No they wouldn't. Everyone was picking that game apart from the start and no one liked the button holding bullshit when you just press a button to switch and you've got your weapon right away in previous games.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Next-Jin Engine posted:

Right, but what I'm saying is none of that impacts what makes the first four Dmcs great, and there is no rule stating that Capcom has to give up production on a Dmc5 while allowing a western Dmc to be made, just their lovely practices and limitations that make it so. Dmc to me isn't so much Devil May Cry's worst game as Ninja Theory's best game; gently caress your brand, any Devil May Cry fan should have been able to tell from the moment they laid eyes on it not to endorse a game they already knew had nothing better for them.

Next-Jin Engine posted:

But it was a reboot, not a sequel? Fans talk about Dmc making GBS threads up a golden franchise, even when it's completely removed from any of the 4 development staffs and the story continuity. Wand of Gamelon is a poo poo game, but I seriously can't think of a single historian counting it up as having a serious impact in the natural procession of Zelda sequels. Like, are SSS Ranks suddenly refundable for cash now or what.

Question, have you tried to thinking about what you type before hit submit? I ask because you seem to be arguing nothing about nothing and are just making white noise. Like what is even your point?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

From what I've been able to gather the idea is that DmC Devil May Cry being the next DMC game to come out after 4 with almost a five year gap in between them didn't set a good look for the series. And with a trend of bad games coming out for a series that have had large gaps in between them like Duke Nukem it doesn't really seem to hit good notes with the fans of the last ones.

That and the marketing for the game was really bad too. Like Tameem Antoniades' comparison of Dante to that one abused kid from Chronicle [Andrew].

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Beef Waifu posted:

No they wouldn't. Everyone was picking that game apart from the start and no one liked the button holding bullshit when you just press a button to switch and you've got your weapon right away in previous games.

lol the elitism of people who like fighting and arcade and action games never ceases to amaze me.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's not even elitism, there is a reason people liked that more beyond the fact it was DMC, but god knows you are probably too pigheaded to actually see anyone else's point beyond your own.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

lol the elitism of people who like fighting and arcade and action games never ceases to amaze me.

I don't think "those people" are elitists as much as there's always a misinformed idiot trying to state that legitimate complaints are "elitism". Then again, I'm one of "those people".

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dias it's cool man, I still love you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You are trying to debate me on the fact that a single button press compared to a button hold that yields the same exact result of switching your weapon to a different weapon makes or breaks a combat system

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

CJacobs posted:

You are trying to debate me on the fact that a single button press compared to a button hold that yields the same exact result of switching your weapon to a different weapon makes or breaks a combat system

You are the only one that mentions it making or breaking a combat system. You brought up a thing, Beef says no it wasn't an improvement. At no point he said "This DESTROYED the genre" or anything like it at that comment.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

CJacobs posted:

It doesn't make or break it, but it's a pretty fuckin simple reason and you are not one to seem to understand those.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

What the gently caress are you even talking about? You seem to be ranting about nothing.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Question, have you tried to thinking about what you type before hit submit? I ask because you seem to be arguing nothing about nothing and are just making white noise. Like what is even your point?

I'm sorry I had this outburst, I'm just pissed on sheer ripping apart Dmc specifically is subjected to, when so many western dev properties nowadays immediately default to being first person games and/or shooters. Like the sheer chance that any western Dev might try to approach a character action game with aspirations higher than God of War is a good thing for me, even if it has to cannibalize the name of an already established franchise of games to get there. Like the idea that in 2014, Dmc didn't even have any western competitors in the genre is frustrating to me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Maybe I took the post with more implications than he meant by it, sorry. But also seriously lol you called me pigheaded because I like a video game more than another video game (and am not as educated into the deeper skill levels as you are). Action game fans and MOBA game fans should get together and just have a big ol aggressive video game argument fest.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Next-Jin Engine posted:

I'm sorry I had this outburst, I'm just pissed on sheer ripping apart Dmc specifically is subjected to, when so many western dev properties nowadays immediately default to being first person games and/or shooters. Like the sheer chance that any western Dev might try to approach a character action game with aspirations higher than God of War is a good thing for me, even if it has to cannibalize the name of an already established franchise of games to get there. Like the idea that in 2014, Dmc didn't even have any western competitors in the genre is frustrating to me.

Did you play Marlow Briggs? That's a pretty awesome hack n' slash that covers the itch you're trying to scratch, man. I mean it's not DMC, but it's fun as hell and I too would like to see more western devs give that a shot than generic FPS and Sports. It's cool that you liked DmC, I don't really mind. It just seems like you kind of went off on a tangent, unprovoked.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Next-Jin Engine posted:

You know what was a better western character action game than DMC even though the system was more simple?

Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death.

E: BEEF WAIFU :argh:

Chrispurple
Dec 29, 2012

Oh man, this is gonna be great.

This looks like it could be really cool if it lives up to the plan. I didn't even know I wanted this kind of game until seeing the video describing it! Seems kind of like Left 4 Dead's versus mode with a bigger gap in abilities and a tighter focus on objective-based gameplay. I wish I had the money to secure a spot in the kickstarter right now but thankfully it's funded already. Thanks for the heads up, Matt!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Maybe you should all "git gud" at not getting mad about videogames.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

CJacobs posted:

Maybe I took the post with more implications than he meant by it, sorry. But also seriously lol you called me pigheaded because I like a video game more than another video game. Action game fans and MOBA game fans should get together and just have a big ol aggressive video game argument fest.

I'm calling you pigheaded, because you decided to read my message as an attack rather than just as a comment and you are still acting like that. If you want the argument to stop all you have to do is say "Oh okay, my bad, I'm sorry for misreading." but you're the one who wants to be confrontational and hey, I'm totally cool with playing that game too, my friend.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I still find it real funny that in 2014 you can't mention DmC without long-time DMC fans coming out of the woodwork to tell you how stupid you are for liking it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Kins posted:

Maybe you should all "git gud" at not getting mad about videogames.

No ones getting mad bro, we're all talking about Marlow Briggs and how cool it was. I never would've seen that game if it weren't for the SBF, so I'm super happy that they know about some insanely obscure poo poo.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

I still find it real funny that in 2014 you can't mention DmC without long-time DMC fans coming out of the woodwork to tell you how stupid you are for liking it.

No one's doing that. You said you think DmC is good, people said they disagreed (and pointed out reasons), you took it as a personal attack because you're kinda daft.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dias posted:

No one's doing that. You said you think DmC is good, people said they disagreed (and pointed out reasons), you took it as a personal attack because you're kinda daft.

Well I didn't take it personally until he insulted me personally but you're right, I'll drop it now.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, I mean it sold significantly less than its predecessor AND the HD collection of the old games, but that's because of the elitism of a super small crowd of elitist niche genre fanboys!

No seriously, shut the gently caress up. You're kind of posting like an idiot.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

Did you play Marlow Briggs? That's a pretty awesome hack n' slash that covers the itch you're trying to scratch, man. I mean it's not DMC, but it's fun as hell and I too would like to see more western devs give that a shot than generic FPS and Sports. It's cool that you liked DmC, I don't really mind. It just seems like you kind of went off on a tangent, unprovoked.

Yeah, I pimped the poo poo out of Marlow Briggs during the steam sale, gave out like ten copies to friends while it was 99 cents. For me personally, I was sort of let down by the enemy variety, as all I saw were "walking man" and "bug." Briggs is also not in the best position of drumming up massive developer fervor by being an Xbox Live Indie game, but I'd still be cool seeing smaller studios giving it their best. Who knows, maybe it'll culminate Climax Studios one day returning to their Ghost Rider roots.

Also, I completely forgot to even think about Lords of Shadows 2. Woof.