Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Maarek posted:

I think it's useful in the sense that "people will judge me for choosing my career over being a stay-at-home-parent" is so far out of my life experience that it sounds like one of those made up problems that the protagonists of a romantic comedy suffer from. I know this is a real thing, but it might as well be happening on the moon to me.

I don't know anyone who was discriminated against. Therefore it never happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Maarek posted:

I think it's useful in the sense that "people will judge me for choosing my career over being a stay-at-home-parent" is so far out of my life experience that it sounds like one of those made up problems that the protagonists of a romantic comedy suffer from. I know this is a real thing, but it might as well be happening on the moon to me.
"People will judge me for choosing my career over being a stay-at-home-parent" is a fact statement about external reality. It has nothing to do with your influences. Because some people might be ignorant of that fact, it can be useful to say, but when choosing between "I bet you are a man and therefore possibly ignorant of <fact>" and "<fact> is true", "<fact> is true" is obviously better.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

ActusRhesus posted:

I don't know anyone who was discriminated against. Therefore it never happens.

If I wasn't perfectly clear what I am saying is that maybe what I posted had less to do with the fact that I'm a man and have patriarchal views about women and more to do with the fact that I was raised and live around people who never had to wonder if homeschooling Dakota would interfere with their career at the Dollar Store. It's very uncool that people do that to career women but it's a little outside of my wheel house when it comes to personal experience.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Maarek posted:

If I wasn't perfectly clear what I am saying is that maybe what I posted had less to do with the fact that I'm a man and have patriarchal views about women and more to do with the fact that I was raised and live around people who never had to wonder if homeschooling Dakota would interfere with their career at the Dollar Store. It's very uncool that people do that to career women but it's a little outside of my wheel house when it comes to personal experience.

Women working at the dollar store also experience guilt and stress from a society that tells them they should be home.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

So what I am getting from this conversation is the child stipend should be universal so a man or woman who wants to stay home has that option available, but isn't penalized for choosing a career either. Is that about right?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

Women working at the dollar store also experience guilt and stress from a society that tells them they should be home.

Anyone who works at a dollar store feels guilt and stress regardless of whether they have children or not.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Or don't do what Canada is doing and implement a lovely form of income splitting.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

So what I am getting from this conversation is the child stipend should be universal so a man or woman who wants to stay home has that option available, but isn't penalized for choosing a career either. Is that about right?

Calling it a child stipend is a bit of a derail as crazy professor's proposal was based on homemaking, not child care.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Chadderbox posted:

Anyone who works at a dollar store feels guilt and stress regardless of whether they have children or not.

Ok. But that isn't what's being discussed here.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm sure glad for the past couple of pages in the SCOTUS thread. It sure has been riveting discussion of the SCOTUS and court news.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm sure glad for the past couple of pages in the SCOTUS thread. It sure has been riveting discussion of the SCOTUS and court news.

Lull between opinions. You should know better by now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

VitalSigns posted:

It would be the most humane option posing the greatest benefit to children overall if it encourages full-time parenting as opposed to parents taking a stipend while taking a job on the side.

Currently no truly universal "child stipend" exists - if you are un/under employed, you may receive benefits from your state in the interest of keeping you and your kid(s) from starving or going homeless or dying from treatable illnesses. If you are sufficiently employed, you receive federal and state tax credits and can claim exemption from withholding per child. Many states have brutally low cutoffs for those benefits, with some states featuring "donut holes" thousands of dollars across. Theoretically, a fixed stipend would encourage full-time parenting if it was set at a level which would suffice in supporting a household, but you'll run into criticism regarding the fact that you would have households receiving the stipend while not being full-time parents due to taking employment on the side. For some, this is cause to abolish such a proposal - one working parent is simply too great a burden to bear - and for others the benefit posed to the child is worth accepting certain realities. If you're focusing on the end result of more children having a functioning household, then the practicality of the means (possibly enabling parents who draw a stipend while also leaving their kids alone at home) are less of a concern. If you're focusing on the intent (encouraging stay-at-home parenting) then individual deviation from this plan is going to be a sticking point and you're going to be trying to find a way to essentially punish parents who work if you aren't open to the idea of outbidding the prospect of employment. If you're a stickler for practicality then you're likely not going to accept the latter of those two since it's cheaper to just punish people by cutting them off or reducing their benefits. Doing so, then, imperils the outcome since you'll be cutting benefits for the occasional parent who is not employed at a level sufficient to make ends meet given the sum of salary and benefits. Practicality entails streamlining such procedures rather than considering individual cases, hence the edge cases in either focus.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I would like a federal wage to compensate me for my posting efforts. I will accept payment in the form of Cheetos, Steam trading cards and, ideally, a home copy of SPSS, which would be really handy at this point in my diss.

Lawtalk:

I tend to favor the intent standard for racial discrimination, and agree with many of the other current, conservative policies on things like affirmative action, not because I think they are just, but because the rhetoric available to opponents of policies of this sort would gain too much of a following from affirmative action programs, and from the implementation of programs designed to directly discriminate on the basis of race.

My solution (which I've mentioned before) would be economic/geographic bussing, which could both be racially neutral in intent and design, and produce general socioeconomic benefits along both racial and other lines. This would evade the discrimination problem and treat the underlying causes of some forms of racially variant outcomes, without giving the right wing something to weaponize.

In gender gap contexts, I'd favor a similar approach targeting precursors of the social norms that reinforce gender disparities- a cause-treating rather than symptom-treating approach.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Except that the claim that children raised by full time parents are better off has been debunked. You are operating from a false premise that stigmatizes working mothers.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Discendo Vox posted:

I would like a federal wage to compensate me for my posting efforts. I will accept payment in the form of Cheetos, Steam trading cards and, ideally, a home copy of SPSS, which would be really handy at this point in my diss.

Lawtalk:

I tend to favor the intent standard for racial discrimination, and agree with many of the other current, conservative policies on things like affirmative action, not because I think they are just, but because the rhetoric available to opponents of policies of this sort would gain too much of a following from affirmative action programs, and from the implementation of programs designed to directly discriminate on the basis of race.

My solution (which I've mentioned before) would be economic/geographic bussing, which could both be racially neutral in intent and design, and produce general socioeconomic benefits along both racial and other lines. This would evade the discrimination problem and treat the underlying causes of some forms of racially variant outcomes, without giving the right wing something to weaponize.

In gender gap contexts, I'd favor a similar approach targeting precursors of the social norms that reinforce gender disparities- a cause-treating rather than symptom-treating approach.

Trying to end-run around shoddy constitutional analysis with facially neutral policy with purportedly equivalent impact is a Bad Plan.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Lawtalk:

I tend to favor the intent standard for racial discrimination, and agree with many of the other current, conservative policies on things like affirmative action, not because I think they are just, but because the rhetoric available to opponents of policies of this sort would gain too much of a following from affirmative action programs, and from the implementation of programs designed to directly discriminate on the basis of race

This appears to operate from an odd premise conservatives actually care about equal treatment regardless of race and oppose affirmative action only on those grounds but would accept facially neutral policies to mitigate the effects of discrimination...

But in reality, conservatives oppose AA because they are racist, and will use the same rhetoric against any policy no matter how neutrally worded to frame it as persecution of white Christians (see: the ENDA which has been successfully defeated year after year with a propaganda blitz of "my religious beliefs are under attack!", or how marriage equality is demonized as "special rights" for homosexuals).

We cannot word laws neutrally enough to appease them because their actual goal is the perpetuation of oppression, so why even bother. We'd just be pulling an Obama: throwing out good policy because it's too easy to demonize and moving to the middle, only for the right wing to hop further right and drat the moderate policies as race-baiting Christian-hating islamomarxobamafascism.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 29, 2014

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Discendo vox what the gently caress does economic bussing mean.

Do you literally mean it in the sense that "poor kids will be bussed to affluent school x, and rich kids to poor school y?"

Hot Dog Day #91 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 29, 2014

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
I think it's like white people buying jordans and black people buying sashimi

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The metric would be regional measures of income or poverty. They would be genuinely racially neutral. You guys are fixating on them being nominally or facially neutral, when they would actually be neutral. The crucial thing is that, if there are disparate outcomes along race lines, you can use those outcomes as a basis for policy.

VitalSigns posted:

This appears to operate from an odd premise conservatives actually care about equal treatment regardless of race and oppose affirmative action only on those grounds but would accept facially neutral policies to mitigate the effects of discrimination...

But in reality, conservatives oppose AA because they are racist, and will use the same rhetoric against any policy no matter how neutrally worded to frame it as persecution of white Christians (see: the ENDA which has been successfully defeated year after year with a propaganda blitz of "my religious beliefs are under attack!", or how marriage equality is demonized as "special rights" for homosexuals).

We cannot word laws neutrally enough to appease them because their actual goal is the perpetuation of oppression, so why even bother. We'd just be pulling an Obama: throwing out good policy because it's too easy to demonize and moving to the middle, only for the right wing to hop further right and drat the moderate policies as race-baiting Christian-hating islamomarxobamafascism.

The successful bussing programs similar to my proposal weren't the targets of this sort of attack, at least nowhere near as successfully. Regardless of the intent of republicans or how evil they are, it's entirely possible to design and implement programs or policies which are more or less vulnerable as targets for Republican public rhetoric. A genuinely neutral program is less vulnerable, in that republican "racism in reverse" lines of argumentation are less likely to be persuasive to third parties. Undecided or persuadable parties do exist, and a large part of effective policy is making something that will both in itself and in response from opposing parties, be appealing to them.

The Warszawa posted:

Trying to end-run around shoddy constitutional analysis with facially neutral policy with purportedly equivalent impact is a Bad Plan.

Facially and factually racially neutral in intent.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Holy poo poo you're serious.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
I'm saying that if we're talking about rhetorical ammunition and strategy regarding opposition, conceding "the cure is as bad as the illness" when it comes to racial discrimination is pretty bad.

The reason I describe it as facially neutral is that if you give localities enough freedom to configure the policies to the situation on the ground, you pretty much have to give them enough freedom to end up with Just-Happen-To-Be-Racially-Segregated schools that nonetheless conform to your policy, but if I recall the time you proposed this in the chat thread (and I may not) the racial integration benefits are incidental to your policy.

How economically oriented busing in public schools takes the place of race-conscious admissions is not really clear, either - even race-conscious busing didn't pretend to replace that.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

It is entirely possible for a person to have a different political outlook without being the second coming of hitler.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The Warszawa posted:

I'm saying that if we're talking about rhetorical ammunition and strategy regarding opposition, conceding "the cure is as bad as the illness" when it comes to racial discrimination is pretty bad.

"the cure" being what? "as bad" being what? If AA policies give more power to folks promoting policies and narratives that increase racist perspectives and racially variant outcomes, it's not a cure in the first place.

The Warszawa posted:

The reason I describe it as facially neutral is that if you give localities enough freedom to configure the policies to the situation on the ground, you pretty much have to give them enough freedom to end up with Just-Happen-To-Be-Racially-Segregated schools that nonetheless conform to your policy, but if I recall the time you proposed this in the chat thread (and I may not) the racial integration benefits are incidental to your policy.
It's very hard to still wind up with racially segregated schools under such a policy, unless the locality policies want to wind up running face-first into the intent standard. That's the fun part-smaller samples equals unambiguous predicted outcomes.

The Warszawa posted:

How economically oriented busing in public schools takes the place of race-conscious admissions is not really clear, either - even race-conscious busing didn't pretend to replace that.
By admissions are you referring to college admissions? This would hit the root cause of the social and economic factors that produce a large amount of the college admissions gap. It would also wind up targeting the racism itself, during the early socialization process.

ActusRhesus posted:

It is entirely possible for a person to have a different political outlook without being the second coming of hitler.
Although, if anyone would like to get me a new Jesus/Hitler mashup avatar, I'd be down for it.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 30, 2014

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Discendo Vox posted:

"the cure" being what? "as bad" being what? If AA policies give more power to folks promoting policies and narratives that increase racist perspectives and racially variant outcomes, it's not a cure in the first place.

The rhetoric of equating race-conscious policies designed to eliminate or mitigate institutional racism with race-conscious policies designed to maintain or exacerbate it should be fought. The "engenders racist resentment" argument can and is applied to literally every policy with the goal or even the effect of benefiting minorities, why should the sociopolitical equivalent of "haters gonna hate" send us cowering to indirect alternatives? What do you think caused the backlash to racial integration policies - that the policy explicitly said "race", or that black kids showed up to white schools?

quote:

It's very hard to still wind up with racially segregated schools under such a policy, unless the locality policies want to wind up running face-first into the intent standard. That's the fun part-smaller samples equals unambiguous predicted outcomes.

How is it hard? Walk me through how your proposal works when a state has twice as many poor white people as it does poor black people. What's to stop a school district from saying "okay, we'll get our poor kids from the poor white neighborhood instead of the poor black neighborhood" or, neutrally, "well, we'll get the kids from the nearest neighborhoods that meet our socioeconomic targets" and then housing segregation does the rest? If you're going to try to thwart selective pools by creating overdistricts, what's to stop suburban bailouts/district partitioning to create different pools?

I get that I'm more of a naysayer than you on this, but if you think that widespread implementation of this sort of program isn't going to end up subject to a parallel Milliken I think you're dreaming.

quote:

By admissions are you referring to college admissions? This would hit the root cause of the social and economic factors that produce a large amount of the college admissions gap. It would also wind up targeting the racism itself, during the early socialization process.

Hold up, how will economic integration target racism through early socialization to any greater extent than race-conscious busing did? How is economic integration going to impact racism beyond what racial integration did, since (unless you consider race, which you've said is Not Going To Happen) it's not like all the bused kids are going to be minorities so you don't even have the same extent of exposure.

I mean I hope that you'd be right about this being all you need to close the achievement gap, but I'm not sure that school assignment is going to replace the host of underlying conditions that affect this (and hopefully schools will provide the administrative support necessary to bused students instead of what I suspect will be a sink-or-swim approach).

By the way, these policies as implemented are capable of wreaking havoc all on their own - all the law has to do is say who foots the bill. And the intent wasn't to gently caress them, either - it was to incentivize schools to improve. But don't worry, these policies aren't subject to the same rhetorical vulnerabilities--

quote:

Many of the students who opted to transfer landed in places like the well-heeled Francis Howell School district, just west of the Missouri River and about 30 miles from Normandy. In the wake of the court’s ruling in June, parents in the Francis Howell district packed school board meetings and town halls to denounce the decision. They said they feared that students from troubled neighborhoods would bring drugs and violence. They worried about the potential for overcrowded classrooms and lowered academic averages. A few suggested that metal detectors be erected and that drug sniffing dogs and armed guards be deployed to keep Normandy students under control.

Oh.

(To be fair, the article then states that this is more about "academic integration" than "racial integration," but I'm not sure exactly how it extricates that.)

Of course, here's the really fun part of this: there's a reason that policy is structured Exodus-style. There're the institutional reasons like that the recipient schools have better facilities, but there's the none-too-disguised fact that, politically speaking, the second you bus little Johnny from Francis Howell to Normandy, little Johnny's parents are going to burn the motherfucker down.

ActusRhesus posted:

I mean it is DV ....

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 30, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The Warszawa posted:

The rhetoric of equating race-conscious policies designed to eliminate or mitigate institutional racism with race-conscious policies designed to maintain or exacerbate it should be fought. The "engenders racist resentment" argument can and is applied to literally every policy with the goal or even the effect of benefiting minorities, why should the sociopolitical equivalent of "haters gonna hate" send us cowering to indirect alternatives? What do you think caused the backlash to racial integration policies - that the policy explicitly said "race", or that black kids showed up to white schools?

Because the degree of effectiveness in the "engenders racist sentiment" argument varies depending on its context. A genuinely neutral policy that has an integrative effect makes the argument less persuasive and effective. If you assume that the racism exists and that the response to integration will be universally similar regardless of avenue, there would be no point in trying at all.

The Warszawa posted:

How is it hard? Walk me through how your proposal works when a state has twice as many poor white people as it does poor black people. What's to stop a school district from saying "okay, we'll get our poor kids from the poor white neighborhood instead of the poor black neighborhood" or, neutrally, "well, we'll get the kids from the nearest neighborhoods that meet our socioeconomic targets" and then housing segregation does the rest? If you're going to try to thwart selective pools by creating overdistricts, what's to stop suburban bailouts/district partitioning to create different pools?
That's why the standards specify geographic as well as economic indicators- full blend. That aside, you seem to be seeing economic integration and the reversal of similarly regressive school district funding schema as a bug rather than a feature.

Importantly, any policy that actually has these effects places the burden on low-level administrators to resegregate with fewer resources and a smaller set of options. It's much harder to nominally maintain racial neutrality in that setting, to say nothing of the potential coverage such a response would elicit. More on that below.

The Warszawa posted:

I get that I'm more of a naysayer than you on this, but if you think that widespread implementation of this sort of program isn't going to end up subject to a parallel Milliken I think you're dreaming.

A similar program passed constitutional scrutiny and was in operation for years before recently being shut down for supposedly unrelated budget concerns. Conservatives weren't able to make reverse racism arguments stick.

The Warszawa posted:

Hold up, how will economic integration target racism through early socialization to any greater extent than race-conscious busing did? How is economic integration going to impact racism beyond what racial integration did, since (unless you consider race, which you've said is Not Going To Happen) it's not like all the bused kids are going to be minorities so you don't even have the same extent of exposure.

Because the race-conscious bussing is unconstitutional. Also, general benefits, bug not feature, socioeconomic integration in addition, as above.

The Warszawa posted:

I mean I hope that you'd be right about this being all you need to close the achievement gap, but I'm not sure that school assignment is going to replace the host of underlying conditions that affect this (and hopefully schools will provide the administrative support necessary to bused students instead of what I suspect will be a sink-or-swim approach).

It doesn't solve the problem, but it solves a hell of a lot more than targeting a small, college-going part of the population with quasi-invisble multiculturalism- especially when you're doing it with populations that have already gone through segregated and differently funded school systems.

The Warszawa posted:

By the way, these policies as implemented are capable of wreaking havoc all on their own - all the law has to do is say who foots the bill. And the intent wasn't to gently caress them, either - it was to incentivize schools to improve. But don't worry, these policies aren't subject to the same rhetorical vulnerabilities--

Oh.

This is the exact opposite of what you seem to think it is: reread the article. The focus of the reporting isn't on the problems with the policy- it's on how hosed up the parents are in their response to the policy! As I said, it's not a bug, it's a feature! The whole idea is to place those opposed to meaningfully equal and integrated schools in a setting where they have to advocate intentional resegregation, then put them in front of a camera.

More generally, this policy is based on the fact that differentials in school funding are structural sources, causes and perpetuators of racism and racial segregation, along with general inequity beyond racial lines. Placing this sort of pressure on such a system, and publicizing the response, is something that ought to be done even if we were in a racially integrated society. This is both a genuine rationale for the policy, and has the side effect of naturally effecting the racial element that is re-expressed in that system.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Socioeconomic integration is fantastic insofar as the goal is to integrate on socioeconomic lines. You're putting this forward as a substitute for race-conscious integration, which is the efficacy I'm looking for here. I don't doubt that socioeconomic integration policies will achieve socioeconomic integration and that that will yield benefits along socioeconomic lines.

Discendo Vox posted:

Because the degree of effectiveness in the "engenders racist sentiment" argument varies depending on its context. A genuinely neutral policy that has an integrative effect makes the argument less persuasive and effective. If you assume that the racism exists and that the response to integration will be universally similar regardless of avenue, there would be no point in trying at all.

That's why the standards specify geographic as well as economic indicators- full blend. That aside, you seem to be seeing economic integration and the reversal of similarly regressive school district funding schema as a bug rather than a feature.

I disagree - I believe that the integrative effect engendered the backlash, and that socioeconomic integration will engender less backlash only insofar as its integrative effect is less than a race-conscious policy. I don't know where you're getting that I see economic integration as a bug when what I am saying is that it's buggy as a substitute for race-conscious policies if the goal is racial integration. If you're saying that socioeconomic integration without regard to race will produce the same benefits to the racial achievement gap as racial integration - in other words, socioeconomically integrated schools will yield benefits on racial lines whether the integrated schools are fully racially integrated or 100% white, black, or Latino - then we're having a different discussion. I guess you could believe that the socioeconomic benefits are such that they justify the slippage on racial lines, but that's also a different thing (more of a different valuation).

I get that you think there are true persuadables and I don't necessarily disagree, but I think they're more likely to draw their conclusions from real or perceived effects than real or perceived intents.

quote:

Importantly, any policy that actually has these effects places the burden on low-level administrators to resegregate with fewer resources and a smaller set of options. It's much harder to nominally maintain racial neutrality in that setting, to say nothing of the potential coverage such a response would elicit. More on that below.

No, it places that burden on administrators to resegregate after the policy has been fully implemented, when what I'm talking about is those administrators acting during the process of initial implementation, since the start-up issues are part of any policy consideration. That said, there was a DV with a leisure suit and a handlebar mustache arguing that Swann put the burden on resegregationists, too.

quote:

A similar program passed constitutional scrutiny and was in operation for years before recently being shut down for supposedly unrelated budget concerns. Conservatives weren't able to make reverse racism arguments stick.

Where? I'd like to read the case. I know I'm a crit/legal realist and you're a formalist, but surely you can see how the situation might change depending on which court hears it and when. That notwithstanding, the thing still got killed.

quote:

Because the race-conscious bussing is unconstitutional. Also, general benefits, bug not feature, socioeconomic integration in addition, as above.

If you want to argue it as a good general policy, yeah, I agree, but you put it forward as a substitute for race-conscious policies and that is the standard to which it is held.

Also "race-conscious busing is unconstitutional" goddamn son, if we had to accept current law as the limit nothing would ever get done. (Overturn Adarand, overturn Adarand!) The correct answer is "race-conscious busing is not narrowly tailored to serve the particular compelling government interest for which it was offered." It's just about finding the right interest.

quote:

It doesn't solve the problem, but it solves a hell of a lot more than targeting a small, college-going part of the population with quasi-invisble multiculturalism- especially when you're doing it with populations that have already gone through segregated and differently funded school systems.

Yes, that's why I was taken aback by you posing socioeconomic integration as a substitute for racial integration and not arguing that race-conscious university admissions was a substitute for pre-university integration.

Please elaborate on "quasi-invisible multiculturalism" - I'm not sure I get what you're going for, there.

quote:

This is the exact opposite of what you seem to think it is: reread the article. The focus of the reporting isn't on the problems with the policy- it's on how hosed up the parents are in their response to the policy! As I said, it's not a bug, it's a feature! The whole idea is to place those opposed to meaningfully equal and integrated schools in a setting where they have to advocate intentional resegregation, then put them in front of a camera.

So your argument isn't that it engenders less backlash, but that the backlash is less credible and that the true persuadables will see the light because of how poo poo the opponents are?

I suppose I need to ask: what in the world makes anti-racial integration backlash credible in your eyes? If the distinction you're making is that they successfully dismantled race-conscious integration, well, refer to your groovy doppleganger.

quote:

More generally, this policy is based on the fact that differentials in school funding are structural sources, causes and perpetuators of racism and racial segregation, along with general inequity beyond racial lines. Placing this sort of pressure on such a system, and publicizing the response, is something that ought to be done even if we were in a racially integrated society. This is both a genuine rationale for the policy, and has the side effect of naturally effecting the racial element that is re-expressed in that system.

Race-conscious and socioeconomic integration, dissolve district specific funding schemes and fund schools without regard to local tax revenues, ideally out of a national fund but good luck with that.

However, funding arrangements do not in and of themselves cause racial segregation - that particular issue is more rooted in residential segregation and untangling that through policy is basically impossible.

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 30, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

First off, thanks for arguing this with me- it's nice to not just get told that I'm concern trolling for a freaking change. This is rapidly becoming a textwall, and I'm hopping back and forth between arguments. I apologize for any errors or omissions- let me know. We should probably consolidate this, or maybe even incorporate it into a new thread ("tonight only: RBG versus John Stewart, Latin-loving virulent homophobe")

The Warszawa posted:

Socioeconomic integration is fantastic insofar as the goal is to integrate on socioeconomic lines. You're putting this forward as a substitute for race-conscious integration, which is the efficacy I'm looking for here. I don't doubt that socioeconomic integration policies will achieve socioeconomic integration and that that will yield benefits along socioeconomic lines.
So the basic idea here is that, causally, this hits sources of racial separation in two ways. First, it increases the degree to which students of different races are getting equal resources in early education, which should heavily mitigate the achievement gap, including admissions at universities. Second, it socializes students in an integrated setting, which should have a significant effect on racial perceptions more broadly. That, for me, is the major goal, because although that process is hard to measure in the short term, those students grow up together, socialize, intermarry, and vote. Their perception of race is going to be fundamentally different than those whose only exposure to kids of other races is going to the other part of town, or seeing them in the market tier or kind of job sector they don't expect to work in.

(all of these benefits also apply nonracially, which is the whole feature-bug thing. There's a longer-term goal, too, which I'll get to at the end.)

The Warszawa posted:

I disagree - I believe that the integrative effect engendered the backlash, and that socioeconomic integration will engender less backlash only insofar as its integrative effect is less than a race-conscious policy. I don't know where you're getting that I see economic integration as a bug when what I am saying is that it's buggy as a substitute for race-conscious policies if the goal is racial integration. If you're saying that socioeconomic integration without regard to race will produce the same benefits to the racial achievement gap as racial integration - in other words, socioeconomically integrated schools will yield benefits on racial lines whether the integrated schools are fully racially integrated or 100% white, black, or Latino - then we're having a different discussion. I guess you could believe that the socioeconomic benefits are such that they justify the slippage on racial lines, but that's also a different thing (more of a different valuation).
I get that you think there are true persuadables and I don't necessarily disagree, but I think they're more likely to draw their conclusions from real or perceived effects than real or perceived intents.
This is mostly addressed in the first post- I'm going for a double-header of socialization-based racism reduction and the socioeconomic integration benefits that also reduce racial disparity, both as long-term generational improvements in racial equality and cohesion directly, and as setup to other policy and legislative pushes later on- more on that at the end. I'm absolutely not saying the benefits of race-blind socioeconomic integration would produce the same benefits as racial integration. The key is that the policy is race-blind, not race-neutral. The 100% racially segregated school scenario removes one of my two benefits- the one I see as at least arguably more important (it also makes my skin crawl). Again, I think the benefits of racial integration are comparatively diminished because I believe direct racial integration gives opponents (or people who are opponents out of political self-interest) the tools to reaffirm racism itself, and, with the political power it gives them, reverse the racial integration policy (if it could be implemented in the first place).

I don't follow "real or perceived effects vs. real or perceived intents" part; I suspect that's somewhere we're talking past each other, and thus important. Could you unpack or rephrase that?

The Warszawa posted:

No, it places that burden on administrators to resegregate after the policy has been fully implemented, when what I'm talking about is those administrators acting during the process of initial implementation, since the start-up issues are part of any policy consideration. That said, there was a DV with a leisure suit and a handlebar mustache arguing that Swann put the burden on resegregationists, too.
Who? Griswold? Do I get to be Griswold? :allears: Skimming the transcript, it doesn't look like Wagonner tried to make that argument at the SC. I haven't read the case in a long time, and my casebooks are still back home. I don't remember this coming up, at least not seriously...
Arguing the success or failure of initial implementation of a policy is, in my opinion, sort of a lost cause. Of course if the people doing the implementation sabotage it, it won't work- that's true of all policies! The way around that is development and modelling in a controlled setting where you don't have to worry about hostile administrators-there are plenty of granola-crunching states and municipalities that could go for this. Then you create a standard building process, shop it through governors, and nail people to the wall when they deviate in a way that's clearly intended to sabotage the process.

The Warszawa posted:

Where? I'd like to read the case. I know I'm a crit/legal realist and you're a formalist, but surely you can see how the situation might change depending on which court hears it and when. That notwithstanding, the thing still got killed.
I think I was thinking of the Wake county program, whose dismantlement is ongoing, fiercely protested, and likely to be reversed. After ten years, most of the families in the system liked it too. The only complaints the administrator involved (who was forced to resign after starting dismantlement) could raise were administrative costs and long bus rides. (The setting is also perfect for trialling this sort of thing, demographically, largely due to the major influx of money and educated liberals thanks to the RTP).

The Warszawa posted:

If you want to argue it as a good general policy, yeah, I agree, but you put it forward as a substitute for race-conscious policies and that is the standard to which it is held.
Also "race-conscious busing is unconstitutional" goddamn son, if we had to accept current law as the limit nothing would ever get done. (Overturn Adarand, overturn Adarand!) The correct answer is "race-conscious busing is not narrowly tailored to serve the particular compelling government interest for which it was offered." It's just about finding the right interest.
Yes, that's why I was taken aback by you posing socioeconomic integration as a substitute for racial integration and not arguing that race-conscious university admissions was a substitute for pre-university integration.
Please elaborate on "quasi-invisible multiculturalism" - I'm not sure I get what you're going for, there.
I'm more of a distinguish than an overturn guy, not just as a formalist, but because it permits you more options in political and narrative framing. Instead of talking about race at all (leave that to the lay public and the NAACP), the entire set of policies can be framed accurately as promoting equal socioeconomic opportunities. I also just plain think it's more likely to happen, especially if we get an R victory in the next presidential election. Lawyers, including the justices, are kinda terrible at statistics. It's hard to make the impact arguments stick, especially with cases nominally and publicly framed around individual desert and cost narratives.

"quasi-invisible multiculturalism" refers to the tenuous, prior status quo of race as unquantified factor in college admissions. It was still materially on race enough to let the far right use it as a talking point (though with less success), but that sort of policy is too small-scale in impact, and too late in the student's life, to make a significant impact in socialization or status beyond the rare individual case.

The Warszawa posted:

So your argument isn't that it engenders less backlash, but that the backlash is less credible and that the true persuadables will see the light because of how poo poo the opponents are?
I suppose I need to ask: what in the world makes anti-racial integration backlash credible in your eyes? If the distinction you're making is that they successfully dismantled race-conscious integration, well, refer to your groovy doppleganger.
I'm starting to feel like a certain character in a certain story by Stephen Vincent Benét. Anti-racial integration backlash isn't credible in my eyes, but I think it's much more credible in the eyes of the general public. Opponents of racial integration can paint stories about individual-level injustice in terms of things like getting denied a seat at college much more easily- and conveniently it fits the structure of a court case better as well.

The Warszawa posted:

Race-conscious and socioeconomic integration, dissolve district specific funding schemes and fund schools without regard to local tax revenues, ideally out of a national fund but good luck with that.

However, funding arrangements do not in and of themselves cause racial segregation - that particular issue is more rooted in residential segregation and untangling that through policy is basically impossible.
Aside from absolute legislative redistribution via federal funding, yes, that is the long-term goal. Busing programs of this sort are great precisely because they throw the absurdity of localized school funding into sharp relief, in a setting that invites public discourse, and directly ties it to its long-term effects on children. On funding arrangements causing segregation, I disagree, and I think this might be a core source of our disagreement- I think black students routinely getting the worst possible resources throughout their educations is a major determinant of what jobs, incomes, degrees and outcomes they have later in life- and as a direct result the stereotypes of what jobs black people have, what level of education they have(or just plain how smart they are), and, as a correlate, their association with things like crime.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

The Warszawa posted:

*Masturbates Furiously*

Discendo Vox posted:

*Masturbates Furiouser-ly*

ActusRhesus posted:

*Masturbates the Most Furious*

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

My copy of Making your Case does have a lot of stains on it, but I promise they're almost all blood.

edit: Come closer. Don't be shy. Let me tell you about my contributions to Signs In Law - A Source Book: The Semiotics of Law in Legal Education, vol. III.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 30, 2014

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Discendo Vox posted:

First off, thanks for arguing this with me- it's nice to not just get told that I'm concern trolling for a freaking change. This is rapidly becoming a textwall, and I'm hopping back and forth between arguments. I apologize for any errors or omissions- let me know. We should probably consolidate this, or maybe even incorporate it into a new thread ("tonight only: RBG versus John Stewart, Latin-loving virulent homophobe")

So the basic idea here is that, causally, this hits sources of racial separation in two ways. First, it increases the degree to which students of different races are getting equal resources in early education, which should heavily mitigate the achievement gap, including admissions at universities. Second, it socializes students in an integrated setting, which should have a significant effect on racial perceptions more broadly. That, for me, is the major goal, because although that process is hard to measure in the short term, those students grow up together, socialize, intermarry, and vote. Their perception of race is going to be fundamentally different than those whose only exposure to kids of other races is going to the other part of town, or seeing them in the market tier or kind of job sector they don't expect to work in.

(all of these benefits also apply nonracially, which is the whole feature-bug thing. There's a longer-term goal, too, which I'll get to at the end.)

This is mostly addressed in the first post- I'm going for a double-header of socialization-based racism reduction and the socioeconomic integration benefits that also reduce racial disparity, both as long-term generational improvements in racial equality and cohesion directly, and as setup to other policy and legislative pushes later on- more on that at the end. I'm absolutely not saying the benefits of race-blind socioeconomic integration would produce the same benefits as racial integration. The key is that the policy is race-blind, not race-neutral. The 100% racially segregated school scenario removes one of my two benefits- the one I see as at least arguably more important (it also makes my skin crawl). Again, I think the benefits of racial integration are comparatively diminished because I believe direct racial integration gives opponents (or people who are opponents out of political self-interest) the tools to reaffirm racism itself, and, with the political power it gives them, reverse the racial integration policy (if it could be implemented in the first place).

Yeah, see, I think we agree on the socialization effects and that your policy has a reduced integrative effect versus race-conscious integration in the abstract, and I think we are on the same page up to the point where you say returns are diminished because of backlash. I simply disagree that the ammunition given to opponents by actually doing something about the issue outweighs the benefits of, well, actually doing something about the issue. Basically, I think at the point where you get a substantial racial integration effect, you're going to get the same opposition whether it's race-conscious or race-blind.

It also is pathetically easy to oppose any busing program on any axis on publicly acceptable grounds because there is a legitimate, valid reason to do so - parents want their kids going to school in their neighborhoods because of [worries about their kid traveling/time/extracurricular activities and parental job schedules/lovely public transportation]. The pro-neighborhood schools plaintiff in the Parents Involved companion case was a black mother wanting to send her kid to a neighborhood school, I believe.

quote:

I don't follow "real or perceived effects vs. real or perceived intents" part; I suspect that's somewhere we're talking past each other, and thus important. Could you unpack or rephrase that?

Basically: people whose support of (or opposition to) a policy is contingent on racial implications (i.e., integration) are going to be more swayed by the reality or belief that it will integrate in fact than that it intends to integrate.

quote:

Who? Griswold? Do I get to be Griswold? :allears: Skimming the transcript, it doesn't look like Wagonner tried to make that argument at the SC. I haven't read the case in a long time, and my casebooks are still back home. I don't remember this coming up, at least not seriously...
Arguing the success or failure of initial implementation of a policy is, in my opinion, sort of a lost cause. Of course if the people doing the implementation sabotage it, it won't work- that's true of all policies! The way around that is development and modelling in a controlled setting where you don't have to worry about hostile administrators-there are plenty of granola-crunching states and municipalities that could go for this. Then you create a standard building process, shop it through governors, and nail people to the wall when they deviate in a way that's clearly intended to sabotage the process.

Not the lawyers, but if you read histories of the time there were plenty of people who believed that once you integrated, you weren't going to resegregate. They were right in that de jure segregation is not palatable and will likely never be palatable again, but that wasn't the backslide that ended up occurring.

Well, if we're going to deal with race-conscious integration as it has been hollowed out by 50 years of chipping away at it, we should deal with your proposal as it would actually come to pass. I do worry that your test cases may not prove as helpful as you think - we're just as likely to end up with a Charlotte-Mecklenberg scenario where demographic changes render a policy much less palatable than it was in a status quo.

quote:

I think I was thinking of the Wake county program, whose dismantlement is ongoing, fiercely protested, and likely to be reversed. After ten years, most of the families in the system liked it too. The only complaints the administrator involved (who was forced to resign after starting dismantlement) could raise were administrative costs and long bus rides. (The setting is also perfect for trialling this sort of thing, demographically, largely due to the major influx of money and educated liberals thanks to the RTP).

Long bus rides, as silly as it sounds, are a serious policy issue, especially when you consider that the kids getting bused to suburban schools are likely to have parents with less flexible schedules and the state of public transportation between suburbs and urban centers leaves a lot to be desired.

You basically have to revamp the entire school infrastructure to make this work. I mean, it needs to be done anyway, but we're basically well beyond the silver bullet policy arena.

quote:

I'm more of a distinguish than an overturn guy, not just as a formalist, but because it permits you more options in political and narrative framing. Instead of talking about race at all (leave that to the lay public and the NAACP), the entire set of policies can be framed accurately as promoting equal socioeconomic opportunities. I also just plain think it's more likely to happen, especially if we get an R victory in the next presidential election. Lawyers, including the justices, are kinda terrible at statistics. It's hard to make the impact arguments stick, especially with cases nominally and publicly framed around individual desert and cost narratives.

I disagree, not just because I think you can show impact pretty understandably to the courts, but because I think the intent standard and classificationism are both examples of shoddy jurisprudence.

quote:

"quasi-invisible multiculturalism" refers to the tenuous, prior status quo of race as unquantified factor in college admissions. It was still materially on race enough to let the far right use it as a talking point (though with less success), but that sort of policy is too small-scale in impact, and too late in the student's life, to make a significant impact in socialization or status beyond the rare individual case.

Current status quo or pre-Grutter? I don't know how significant it is to compare the charred, cannibalized husk of race-conscious policies today to actual policies designed to achieve integration at any educational level.

quote:

I'm starting to feel like a certain character in a certain story by Stephen Vincent Benét. Anti-racial integration backlash isn't credible in my eyes, but I think it's much more credible in the eyes of the general public. Opponents of racial integration can paint stories about individual-level injustice in terms of things like getting denied a seat at college much more easily- and conveniently it fits the structure of a court case better as well.

I think I phrased my question badly: I was trying to ask what, in your opinion, made anti-racial integration backlash credible and what distinguishes it from anti-economic integration backlash (even notwithstanding that "poor/urban" is likely going to be used as code), not insinuating that you think it's credible personally.

quote:

Aside from absolute legislative redistribution via federal funding, yes, that is the long-term goal. Busing programs of this sort are great precisely because they throw the absurdity of localized school funding into sharp relief, in a setting that invites public discourse, and directly ties it to its long-term effects on children. On funding arrangements causing segregation, I disagree, and I think this might be a core source of our disagreement- I think black students routinely getting the worst possible resources throughout their educations is a major determinant of what jobs, incomes, degrees and outcomes they have later in life- and as a direct result the stereotypes of what jobs black people have, what level of education they have(or just plain how smart they are), and, as a correlate, their association with things like crime.

OK, I don't disagree with what you said but that's not how I read your initial statement - I thought you were saying that differential funding schemes cause racial segregation in the context of school segregation, rather than "outcome segregation." My bad. I really shouldn't textwall after 10pm.

I can do it again, if you need a closeup.

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 30, 2014

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Hey leave me out of this, I checked out of this conversation a long time ago.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

A genuinely neutral program is less vulnerable, in that republican "racism in reverse" lines of argumentation are less likely to be persuasive to third parties. Undecided or persuadable parties do exist, and a large part of effective policy is making something that will both in itself and in response from opposing parties, be appealing to them.

Surely if our goal is to win over undecided or persuadable third parties, the way to persuade them is to make the case that race-conscious policies are the best way to counteract the effects of systemic racial bias, not to agree with the bigots that trying to consciously rectify a playing field tilted against minorities is "reverse racism" and "anti-white" and support their slow but sure incremental strategy of perpetuating inequality by blinding the legal system to it.

You're operating under the very questionable premise that these "racism in reverse" arguments come from a sincere desire for a colorblind society rather than as a strategy to blind the legal system to systemic inequalities and let ingrained racism continue the oppression now that explicit Jim Crow is no longer an option.

In other words

Sonia Sotomayor posted:

In my colleagues’ view, examining the racial impact of legislation only perpetuates racial discrimination. This refusal to accept the stark reality that race matters is regrettable. The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to speak openly and candidly on the subject of race, and to apply the Constitution with eyes open to the unfortunate effects of centuries of racial discrimination. As members of the judiciary tasked with intervening to carry out the guarantee of equal protection, we ought not sit back and wish away, rather than confront, the racial inequality that exists in our society. It is this view that works harm, by perpetuating the facile notion that what makes race matter is acknowledging the simple truth that race does matter.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 30, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Surely if our goal is to win over undecided or persuadable third parties, the way to persuade them is to make the case that race-conscious policies are the best way to counteract the effects of systemic racial bias, not to agree with the bigots that trying to consciously rectify a playing field tilted against minorities is "reverse racism" and "anti-white" and support their slow but sure incremental strategy of perpetuating inequality by blinding the legal system to it.

You're operating under the very questionable premise that these "racism in reverse" arguments come from a sincere desire for a colorblind society rather than as a strategy to blind the legal system to systemic inequalities and let ingrained racism continue the oppression now that explicit Jim Crow is no longer an option.

In other words

In no place here am I saying that I agree with the reverse racism and anti-white arguments. I am saying that politically and persuasively, debating "reverse racism" and "anti-white" as arguments using terms and precedent already established and proliferated by the other side is an excellent way to feed them supporters. You very rarely persuade people to change their minds about something by telling them what is right and having a frank conversation about it- that's an excellent way to make them hate your guts and wind up with a talk show host custom avatar.

You persuade people by putting them in a situation where they experience or see the truth made explicit before them- in a way that makes it feel like it was their choice, and that they were always on the right side. Sotomayor speaks of a need for the justices to confront racial inequality. They're not the ones that need, or can be, convinced, and we don't need them to confront it- they already know the score, and have chosen sides. What is necessary is for the public to be confronted with the outcomes of racial inequality by a situation they can't deny- and with a framing and narrative that minimizes the sense that a change is occurring at all.That's what this policy does. The people will be able to realize the role of race in this on their own, if they are given the right tools and lessons to learn from.

ActusRhesus posted:

Hey leave me out of this, I checked out of this conversation a long time ago.

Clearly you need some sort of compensation for the societally undervalued nature of your posting. This reminds me of a passage from the SCUM Manifesto that I think you'll find particularly useful...

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 30, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

In no place here am I saying that I agree with the reverse racism and anti-white arguments. I am saying that politically and persuasively, debating "reverse racism" and "anti-white" as arguments using terms and precedent already established and proliferated by the other side is an excellent way to feed them supporters. You very rarely persuade people to change their minds about something by telling them what is right and having a frank conversation about it- that's an excellent way to make them hate your guts and wind up with a talk show host custom avatar.

Well, from the viewpoint of the undecided persuadable people we're talking about, it seems that personally agreeing with reverse-racism arguments versus declining to challenge them and only proposing policies that assume those arguments is a distinction without a difference.

Did marriage equality succeed by proponents accepting the framing that marriage is a special, Christian-only, not-to-be-touched institution and basing policy on that, or by challenging that view?

Discendo Vox posted:

You persuade people by putting them in a situation where they experience or see the truth made explicit before them- in a way that makes it feel like it was their choice, and that they were always on the right side.

On the other hand, the entire history of the civil rights movement.

Discendo Vox posted:

You very rarely persuade people to change their minds about something by telling them what is right and having a frank conversation about it- that's an excellent way to make them hate your guts and wind up with a talk show host custom avatar.

Checking the link, it seems the custom title stemmed from an argument that gay people should persuade the straight community to allow us equal rights by agreeing with them that gay culture is bad, abandoning all the subcultures that shock the sensibilities of Reverend Mrs Lovejoy, and acting like Normal Respectable Folks, but gay.

When in actuality tolerance is achieved when Normal Respectable Folks find out that their brother or cousin or lawyer can be gay and into leather daddy culture without it turning him into a child-raping drug-peddler and then think "huh, people can have different sexual preferences from mine without being black holes of pure evil...interesting..."

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Checking the link, it seems the custom title stemmed from an argument that gay people should persuade the straight community to allow us equal rights by agreeing with them that gay culture is bad, abandoning all the subcultures that shock the sensibilities of Reverend Mrs Lovejoy, and acting like Normal Respectable Folks, but gay.

When in actuality tolerance is achieved when Normal Respectable Folks find out that their brother or cousin or lawyer can be gay and into leather daddy culture without it turning him into a child-raping drug-peddler and then think "huh, people can have different sexual preferences from mine without being black holes of pure evil...interesting..."

Also, LOL at unironic "tu quoque" WRT Straight Firemen Parade Floats vs. Gay Leather Floats.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Well, from the viewpoint of the undecided persuadable people we're talking about, it seems that personally agreeing with reverse-racism arguments versus declining to challenge them and only proposing policies that assume those arguments is a distinction without a difference.

Did marriage equality succeed by proponents accepting the framing that marriage is a special, Christian-only, not-to-be-touched institution and basing policy on that, or by challenging that view?

On the other hand, the entire history of the civil rights movement.

The success of civil rights movements has been by showing that members of the oppressed group were like the oppressor group, and by creating narratives and frames of normal members of the minority that were being oppressed despite their lack of traditional stigmatizing marks. If you read accounts of the effective civil rights marches, it involved behaving and appearing in ways that the broader public would find acceptable, doing something in the pursuit of something the persuasion target audience would find unthreatening, and getting camera crews to film you getting hit with batons and blown up. This is why the most effective thing most oppressive cultures or governments can do in response to protests above a certain size is just ignore them and construct distractions or obstacles to media coverage.

To put it differently, you start by getting the family members to accept the people who are gay. Then, if you want, you work on acceptance for the subculture. But, as the original gay discourse I was referring to that got me that custom title found, once you started reducing the oppression, the subculture borne of opposing identity dies off in the course of a couple generations, or is incorporated outside the previously oppressed minority.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 31, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You're talking about Direct Action and Civil Disobedience, which was criticized at the time by wafflers as being too confrontational and prone to provoke backlash, right?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

You're talking about Direct Action and Civil Disobedience, which was criticized at the time by wafflers as being too confrontational and prone to provoke backlash, right?

The primary criticisms within the movement were primarily that it was insufficiently confrontational- especially once it started being effective. It was effective because the backlash did occur-but the protests were designed to isolate those carrying out the backlash from the broader public's perception of the issue. For someone living in a de facto white suburb, generally ignorant of the issue, the easiest mental solution to seeing footage of small kids in churchgoing clothes getting attacked by police dogs for no visible action is to stop identifying with the people holding the leash.

Not all nonviolent protest or resistance is equally effective. Again, the key is reframing the group at issue so that the persuasion target doesn't find the protestor or their goal objectionable, so that making them accept a policy shift produces less counterarguing. At the same time, you want the opposing authorities to still perceive the protestor as a threat, and to respond accordingly. This divides and damages previous sources of authority from the persuasion target, and has a similar effect to persuasive inoculation- it's very hard for the authority to regain credibility if your original argument or action makes their arguments seem absurd or cruel. The benefit of changing frame is that the opposed authority effectively inoculates the audience against its own tactics-your hands remain clean in the exchange.

In theory, this can entail any sort of action, including, in cultures where it's more acceptable, violence. If your goal is to gain the political capital to make a policy change, the reality is much less important than the reality that the people whose votes you need perceive. If you want to effectively change the policy, managing your actions to get them to do and believe what you want them to is the totality of the problem.

In some sense, this reflects back on my disagreement with Warszawa. He thinks it's possible or likely that the Court will overturn the current standard. I don't think that's likely to happen, and based on the response to the first era of direct integration, I don't think that a reversal that does occur is likely to stick around. A long term campaign to change public perception of the scope of the issue and the salient set of arguments would, in my eyes, have a greater benefit to racial equality- even if it means twisting yourself into policy and legal knots to get there. Basically, in my eyes, it's not capitulation- it's manipulation.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

How do we change public perceptions of the scope of the issue if we pre-concede that there's nothing objectionable about a racially segregated school system (under neutrally-worded laws of course) and fixing that is the objectionable racist thing, instead of making the argument that racial segregation is harmful regardless of whether the law explicitly says "no blacks in my nice neighborhood"?

E: And I guess you'll say "because we can require economic" but as The Warszawa pointed out, in the absence of any analysis regarding discriminatory effect, the bigots will always succeed in hiding conscious segregation behind neutral-sounding policies, because their opposition is not rooted in a desire for a colorblind society, but in a desire for a segregated society.

Also, conservatives are not stupid, they understand the goal of economic integration just as well, and there are plenty of dog whistles available to combat it like complaints about length of bus rides, and fearmongering about liberals letting gangs and drugs into our schools.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

How do we change public perceptions of the scope of the issue if we pre-concede that there's nothing objectionable about a racially segregated school system (under neutrally-worded laws of course) and fixing that is the objectionable racist thing, instead of making the argument that racial segregation is harmful regardless of whether the law explicitly says "no blacks in my nice neighborhood"?

You don't concede it, you're not conceding it. It's possible (and very effective) in a political discourse to have multiple groups expressing differently valenced opinons. You set up a race-neutral regime, You let the detractors make idiots of themselves on television, and, after sufficient time has passed, you let other, further left organizations take advantage of the new frame to push further. Again, the Wake County regime is a pretty good example of this in action. If you try to "make the argument that racial segregation is harmful regardless of...." then you are handing a larger part of the electorate to the other side, because they created and are the masters of that "regardless of". You are allowing them to control the language and framing of the argument. Conservatives have had a number of years to inoculate their base and their flank against any sort of attack on the intent/impact distinction- their test cases are built around making direct argument on that subject useless. The ignorant and the open to persuasion already understand that "giving seats to needy black kids" translates to "taking seats from needy, better qualified white kids"- innocent, telegenic white kids that have been groomed for test cases. You're handing them the exact same case they already won.

VitalSigns posted:

E: And I guess you'll say "because we can require economic" but as The Warszawa pointed out, in the absence of any analysis regarding discriminatory effect, the bigots will always succeed in hiding conscious segregation behind neutral-sounding policies, because their opposition is not rooted in a desire for a colorblind society, but in a desire for a segregated society.

Bigots (and, more importantly, those with a political stake in preserving racially divisions) actually have a hard time doing that in response to a sufficiently specific regime. If you believe that bigots can sabotage any policy at any time using language that will always pass muster, then it's impossible to get anything accomplished ever. Even if an administrator tries to sabotage the policy in a neutral way, that doesn't prevent you or the public from electing someone new in response, or turning on the administrator. This is what happened in Wake- the superintendent wound up resigning and a large part of the local population now sees a return to the busing system as the only equitable option.

VitalSigns posted:

Also, conservatives are not stupid, they understand the goal of economic integration just as well, and there are plenty of dog whistles available to combat it like complaints about length of bus rides, and fearmongering about liberals letting gangs and drugs into our schools.

Because dog whistles only work on people who hear them. The responses that integration opponents have to economic integration aren't effective with the broader population, only the right wing. In making those arguments, they alienate the persuasion target base. The narrative stops being about your socioeconomically neutral policy, and starts being news coverage of tea partiers and wealthy white parents not wanting their kids to associate with "those people". Warszawa's news quote is an example of precisely that phenomenon in action. The story isn't long bus rides or gangs, because there aren't any. The story, and the perception that the persuasion target has, is of a bunch of fygm racists.