Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Yo dawg I heard you like cancer.

EDIT: In reply to the mercury-laced cigarettes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
since this is the deadly poison thread

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/05/last-supper-japan-killer-puffer-fish-fugu

quote:

With help from a local fisheries firm and university researchers, the officials claim they have perfected a method of farming the fish that ensures the liver contains not a single trace of tetrodotoxin. If digested, the neurotoxin causes numbness around the mouth, followed by paralysis and death by asphyxiation. There is no known antidote.

The poison in the fugu is produced when the fish feed on poisonous starfish, snails and other creatures. Rearing the fish on food that is toxin-free removes the risk, or so the theory goes.

But owners of hundreds of fugu restaurants in Saga have warned that relaxing the law could end up killing diners.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Farmed fugu won’t sell.

The poison is the whole point. A good chef gives you just enough to remind you of your mortality.

It’s not like people are eating it for the taste.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

mercury
My chemist buddy told me about the time there was a small mercury spill on a wood floor some place. They pulled up a board, took a look, put the board back and called hazmat. It had not been the first spill by a long shot and there was a veritable lake of mercury under the boards that had accumulated over god knows how many years. Talk about floating floors.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

My chemist buddy told me about the time there was a small mercury spill on a wood floor some place. They pulled up a board, took a look, put the board back and called hazmat. It had not been the first spill by a long shot and there was a veritable lake of mercury under the boards that had accumulated over god knows how many years. Talk about floating floors.

Yeah a prof at my mum's college in cambridge lived in a former lab and when he died they found the place was the same.

In FOOF stories my mum almost killed my dad before they married with an experiment that went wrong and released cyanide gas. Luckily he's one of those who can smell it! She also blew her prof's eyebrows off when he opened a box with an experiment that she had labelled 'DO NOT OPEN, POTENTIALLY EXPLOSIVE' and he apparently thought he knew better than her.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
"hey can you see how much peroxides in this sample"

Sure thing pal!

*Sets up for peroxide titration and squirts sample into glass flask just as the phone rings*

"Uhhh I think I gave you a bottle of concentrated HF..."

Yeah uhh you sure did since my flask looks a little sad.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

DemeaninDemon posted:

"hey can you see how much peroxides in this sample"

Sure thing pal!

*Sets up for peroxide titration and squirts sample into glass flask just as the phone rings*

"Uhhh I think I gave you a bottle of concentrated HF..."

Yeah uhh you sure did since my flask looks a little sad.

:stonk:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Did your avatar already look like that before this happened?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Platystemon posted:

Some of the denser ’90s kids played with mercury, too.

quote:

Cheryl Calhoun, mother of one of the boys [who broke in and took the mercury], complained that the two had been referred to as ''Beavis and Butthead'' on a local radio station. Letters to the town paper have called her an irresponsible parent.

Freedom of the press includes calling dumbasses dumbasses, fortunately.

cowandchick
Mar 24, 2004
moo
So I work in a synthetic organic chemistry lab. A new guy that works next to me just made 4 grams of this:

6 Nitrogens : 4 Carbons is not a good ratio. Our safety officer has shut down the hood. I'm assuming there will be some kind of bomb squad in tomorrow morning.

Here's a reference to the material: http://actachemscand.dk/pdf/acta_vol_38b_p0623-0626.pdf

Of note (the compound in question is compound 4):

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

cowandchick posted:

So I work in a synthetic organic chemistry lab. A new guy that works next to me just made 4 grams of this:

6 Nitrogens : 4 Carbons is not a good ratio. Our safety officer has shut down the hood. I'm assuming there will be some kind of bomb squad in tomorrow morning.

Here's a reference to the material: http://actachemscand.dk/pdf/acta_vol_38b_p0623-0626.pdf

So, was he just futzing around with organic nitrogen synthesis or did somebody higher up have a stroke?

cowandchick
Mar 24, 2004
moo
He made it as an intermediate toward a synthetic target and didn't bother to ask anyone's opinion regarding its safety.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

cowandchick posted:

He made it as an intermediate toward a synthetic target and didn't bother to ask anyone's opinion regarding its safety.

That makes an unfortunate amount of sense.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
On a scale of FFFFFF to 000000, how dark‐skinned is the new guy?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

cowandchick posted:

Ahhhhhhhhh Azide alert! :siren:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

cowandchick posted:

I'm only going off of what "Things I Won't Work With" and this thread's knowledge.

Basically, it's really sensitive to shock? How bad of a bang would 4 grams be if it went off?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm only going off of what "Things I Won't Work With" and this thread's knowledge.

Basically, it's really sensitive to shock? How bad of a bang would 4 grams be if it went off?

4g? Not safe for anything in the fume hood, or the fume hood. Anyone else in the room might want to be wearing ear protection. Maybe some unlucky shrapnel damage across a room, depending on what's around the source.

The little CO2 cartridges are 8g, think of how big of a balloon one of those would fill at ambient pressure. Explosions are kinda (sorta) like filling up a balloon with gases equal to the mass of the explosives, but a lot faster, and with some extra heat, loud noises, and things being displaced very quickly.

Each molecule of gas wants to take up about the same amount of space, regardless of their complexity or mass. So things that decompose into more simple molecules make better bangs (or better rocket fuels) than things that form fewer, more complex molecules. If you can visualize a chunk of liquid/solid CO2 becoming a balloon of gas, you can extrapolate that out to explosives exploding. It's not precise in any way, but it's enough to figure out how fast you need to be running.

jetz0r has a new favorite as of 08:27 on Aug 24, 2016

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Basically 4 grams has tipped the scale of how much you don't want it to exist anywhere near you right before it decides the same, but the 'near you' is same room or closer, not same building. You definitely don't want to be handling it with anything you'd like to keep in one piece.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Basically 4 grams has tipped the scale of how much you don't want it to exist anywhere near you right before it decides the same, but the 'near you' is same room or closer, not same building. You definitely don't want to be handling it with anything you'd like to keep in one piece.

It's a nice, slow, and relaxing warm up synthesis after a rough previous day in Klapotke's lab though!

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Platystemon posted:

On a scale of FFFFFF to 000000, how dark‐skinned is the new guy?

F00F.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
My school has been cleaning out the metalwork store in recent weeks in preparation for an auditor to come out and give the school an ok as a whole. While nothing terribly FOOF worth have been found we did discover that there where multiple tins of paint that are lead based along with a pile of enamelling powders that are also lead based. What started the whole clean up in the first place was a bottle of sulphuric acid that escaped the bottle and ate through the shelf it was sitting on. Also on that shelf where a stack of other non properly stored bottles of chemicals that probably wouldn't have played nice if they had escaped their storage containers.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Fun thing about sulfuric acid is it doesn't evaporate. So it can sit for years until some poor doofus wipes it up with a paper towel barehanded.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
W...what? So it's like those ionic fluids I see in crazy vacuum chamber videos on YT?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Pure sulfuric acid has a vapor pressure of <0.001 mmHg at 25 °C

So even at 1.3 millionths of atmospheric pressure, it won’t boil at room temperature.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

W...what? So it's like those ionic fluids I see in crazy vacuum chamber videos on YT?

Now I'm curious to see this.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shipon posted:

Now I'm curious to see this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F4i9M3y0ew

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

quote:

According to authorities the woman, who lived alone at her home located on U.S. Highway 277, near the intersection with FM 1666, was alone Monday morning, when the truck came off the road, caught on fire and exploded just in front of the structure.

The truck, hauling a flatbed trailer loaded with airbag cartridges, was traveling from Del Rio to the Takata plant in Eagle Pass, Texas. The driver of the truck, identified as Mario Alberto Rodriguez, 20-years-of-age, was injured along with a passenger. They were able to flee the truck before the blast.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Jesus Christ

Edit to add: I mean one of those things can do nasty poo poo, but a truckload???

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

PopeCrunch posted:

Jesus Christ

Edit to add: I mean one of those things can do nasty poo poo, but a truckload???

quote:

Pieces of the exploded truck were reportedly found up to a mile from the blast location, and ten surrounding homes were damaged. The highway was closed for 30 hours to repair the crater damage.

:stare:

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

So Takata airbags don't even have to be in a car to become high-explosive frag grenades. Good to know!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
They should publish the routes and schedules of the airbag cartridge trucks so everyone knows to stay the gently caress off the road

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

StandardVC10 posted:

They should publish the routes and schedules of the airbag cartridge trucks so everyone knows to stay the gently caress off the road
If you could see all the haz-mat routes and schedules at a glance you would probably be too scared to ever get on a highway again.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

zedprime posted:

If you could see all the haz-mat routes and schedules at a glance you would probably be too scared to ever get on a highway again.

Yeah there's a reason haz-mat symbols are deliberately obscure to people without training beyond the obvious flammable or whatever warnings. That reason being you'd never want to leave your house if you knew all the dangerous poo poo people are trucking around.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah there's a reason haz-mat symbols are deliberately obscure to people without training beyond the obvious flammable or whatever warnings. That reason being you'd never want to leave your house if you knew all the dangerous poo poo people are trucking around.

?!!

Maybe nerds would stay at home, personally I think it turns a boring wait at the railroad crossing into an adventure when I find out the train's hauling tanks of molten sulfur.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Most of the hazmat symbols on rail tankers or trucks are pretty boring.

Oxidizer usually means fertilizer.
Corrosive is bleach and maybe HCl if you're lucky. Batteries on trucks.
Flammable is a petroleum product that's probably oil, diesel, or gasoline.

poo poo gets shipped all over the country all the time without incident. Problems usually arise because someone somewhere skipped a safety step and every safety measure failed as a result. Really nothing to worry about once you consider the nasty junk that goes into making literally everything.

Still haven't topped seeing a liquid fluorine truck and I don't really want to.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

DemeaninDemon posted:

Most of the hazmat symbols on rail tankers or trucks are pretty boring.

Oxidizer usually means fertilizer.
Corrosive is bleach and maybe HCl if you're lucky. Batteries on trucks.
Flammable is a petroleum product that's probably oil, diesel, or gasoline.

poo poo gets shipped all over the country all the time without incident. Problems usually arise because someone somewhere skipped a safety step and every safety measure failed as a result. Really nothing to worry about once you consider the nasty junk that goes into making literally everything.

Well, remember that fertiliser is what took down the oklahoma city building.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

ArcMage posted:

Well, remember that fertiliser is what took down the oklahoma city building.

You can also make meth from household chemicals.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

DemeaninDemon posted:

Or you can just not have enough safety measures in place and then you get 47 people dead from a train derailment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lac-M%C3%A9gantic_rail_disaster

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Tochiazuma posted:

Or you can just not have enough safety measures in place and then you get 47 people dead from a train derailment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lac-M%C3%A9gantic_rail_disaster

Na this one falls under criminal negligence and skirting recommend safety protocol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Isn't it both?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM9jN7z6Lxs