Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

RussianBear posted:

That's my account name. Thanks for the advice! Good to know I can just keep chugging along and having fun without worrying too much about all the MMO stuff.

Yeah I mean you can basically play this game like it's single player other than world bosses, the group dungeons and trials. Some stuff might be hard solo but overall you can play 95% of the game without other people if you choose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

MF_James posted:

Yeah I mean you can basically play this game like it's single player other than world bosses, the group dungeons and trials. Some stuff might be hard solo but overall you can play 95% of the game without other people if you choose.

What else is there? That's like the entire game.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

JackBadass posted:

What else is there? That's like the entire game.

What do you mean?

For group content there's world bosses, 4-man dungeons (normal and vet), 12-man trials (normal and vet), and pvp. Everything else can be done solo*

*Some things are more difficult if you don't know what you're doing such as the public dungeons, those can be tougher solo and some of the bosses in them will require at least one other person.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

So the base game is on sale for $6.90 right now.

Where is this deal? A friend's kid is interested in Elder Scrolls and I'd like to give them this to play together.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
NA login server down for anyone else, or am I just special?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Coldforge posted:

NA login server down for anyone else, or am I just special?

Down for me.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!
Yeah, I can't play either. Not particularly impressed with the uptime on this game, TBH.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
This is every other Monday, pretty much.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I imagine servers are getting hit extra hard since morrowind plus the pvp event is going on.

I never really have problems, but I don't play every day and have often taken weeks off the game.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Republicanus posted:

Where is this deal? A friend's kid is interested in Elder Scrolls and I'd like to give them this to play together.

It was on GamersGate, it appears to have been a very slight pricing mistake though as it is now $7.50: https://www.gamersgate.com/DD-TESOTU/

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Rollersnake posted:

This is every other Monday, pretty much.

Yeah, my previous post was unnecessarily whiny and unfair in comparison to a couple of other games. I completely forgot the Guild Wars 2 experience, hoping against hope not to suddenly lose connection during a long quest or a WvWvW. Maybe things changed in the past several years but at least TESO usually drops me during loading screens and not that frequently either.

I had a few questions about houses. First of all, is there a house near a dyeing station? Second, what house do people usually go for? I would like to move out of the Vivec City Inn but I'm still just a pauper with 20k gold. The thing is, it takes too long to get out and to a wayshrine. As convenient as it is to have a free teleport location in perpetuity, I mostly use it only if I fall into Vivec City channels.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Kryopsis posted:

I had a few questions about houses. First of all, is there a house near a dyeing station? Second, what house do people usually go for? I would like to move out of the Vivec City Inn but I'm still just a pauper with 20k gold. The thing is, it takes too long to get out and to a wayshrine. As convenient as it is to have a free teleport location in perpetuity, I mostly use it only if I fall into Vivec City channels.

There's a dye station in pretty much every city (usually in or near the alchemist), so just get the most metropolitan home possible for that? Any of the free inn rooms should work.

My favorite home has a wayshrine right outside the front door (Mournoth Keep), but it costs around 320k.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Auridon inn (Mara's kiss I think?) is a free apartment in close easily mounted proximity to a decent designed city hub with dye station and a very close wayshrine. You just need to roll a deletable AD alt and do a quick quest to get it.

If you're buying for home owning and decorating also the khajiti house near rawl'khar or however the gently caress you spell it in reapers march would put you near the most efficient designed city in the game. But it costs crown or gold.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

The Mara's Kiss inn room is probably the worst house in the game (in terms of size) but it's free and really is right next to a wayshrine.

Mournhold apartment is also a pretty good spot, not too far from writs, wayshrine, traders, if you're EP you're going to be spending a good chunk of your endgame time there due to pledges etc. Fairly cheap and decent size for a starter home.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Kryopsis posted:

You're in the PC goon guild, right? You can teleport to my house to use my crafting shed any time. Every crafting station (including dye station) is in there. To get there, open the guild roster, find the account name Scarlet-Ibis, right click that name, and choose to teleport to my primary residence.

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 6, 2017

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Mizuti posted:

You're in the PC goon guild, right? You can teleport to my house to use my crafting shed any time. Every crafting station (including dye station) is in there. To get there, open the guild roster, find the account name Sacred-Ibis, right click that name, and choose to teleport to my primary residence.

That's fantastic. Where does one get the crafting stations for home use? Are they only available with funbux?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Coldforge posted:

That's fantastic. Where does one get the crafting stations for home use? Are they only available with funbux?

They can be exchanged for tokens earned by doing master writs. They don't bind to account, so guild stores can sell them. You can also buy them from the crown store, but I think they're like 4000 crowns a pop there. :pwn:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

They're around 40-45K in guild stores or 35 writ vouchers apiece.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

SplitSoul posted:

They're around 40-45K in guild stores or 35 writ vouchers apiece.

So that's a lot, but still better than paying Zenimax $40 a pop. I'll get there eventually.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Coldforge posted:

So that's a lot, but still better than paying Zenimax $40 a pop. I'll get there eventually.

For now, just use my crafting shed! It will save you a lot of time.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Coldforge posted:

If you're up for grinding a bit, level Legerdemain and steal poo poo at the Daggerfall docks. There's also a nice addon called LazyThief, it will allow you to only auto-loot items above a certain quality when completely hidden. Set it to green and it's a minimum of 100g x 140 a day per character with the fencing skill maxed, plus 10% on top if you have the Thieves Guild DLC and the pertinent skill in that line. You could also just do it while queueing for dungeons or whatever, it helps a lot in the long run.

There are two hard-to-miss thieves' troves in the ships and you'll get plenty of blue and some purple furnishing patterns as well, they can typically be auctioned for a lot of money.

Remember to stab everybody there if you have Blade of Woe from the Dark Brotherhood DLC. The docks are seriously the most violent place in Nirn.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 25, 2017

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

Mournhold apartment is also a pretty good spot, not too far from writs, wayshrine, traders, if you're EP you're going to be spending a good chunk of your endgame time there due to pledges etc. Fairly cheap and decent size for a starter home.

Ended up buying this apartment. The location is indeed very good. Right out the door, there's a wayshrine and all stations. Thanks!

Coldforge posted:

Do the Orsinium dlc, if you have it.

Having done a bunch of orc quests, I'm genuinely surprised by the quality of this DLC. The quests are fun, the area is gorgeous and I can only hope that there will be more story-driven DLC in the future. I understand people like Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood but I can't say I'm interested in sneaking around or killing NPCs in an MMO. I mean, I have Dishonored 2 and Hitman 2016 installed alongside TESO. If I'm playing an MMO, I might as well wear full plate and bash people in the face with my shield.

Anyway, a couple of people had trouble with the Briar tree in 'The Hidden Harvest'. I already did the quest but I decided to stay around for easy Werewolf XP. After 20 minutes of seeing the tree go to 15% and then up to 20%, I reached werewolf transformation IV and leveled a 1h+shield a few times. It was hilarious, as I kept eating the corpses and keeping werewolf form up. Really enjoyable way to level as a tank, incidentally.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

SplitSoul posted:

Remember to stab everybody there if you have Blade of Woe from the Dark Brotherhood DLC. The docks are seriously the most violent place in Nirn.

Thieves guild doesn't murder though. :colbert:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

The Saint Delyns Penthouse in Vivec is still the best home for free, imo, just cause its actually reasonably sized. As the poster above said though just like in Morrowind Vivec is kind of easy to get lost in until you get all the corridors down to muscle memory.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Berke Negri posted:

Thieves guild doesn't murder though. :colbert:

In fact it actively penalizes you for murdering people during heists. Worst DLC ever :argh:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Actually it owns. Crime owns, stealing owns, heists own, git gud, toad. :colbert:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Berke Negri posted:

Actually it owns. Crime owns, stealing owns, heists own, git gud, toad. :colbert:

Crime owns, stealing owns, heists are dumb as poo poo and horribly designed.

(the quests and story are also terrible)

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

MF_James posted:

What do you mean?

For group content there's world bosses, 4-man dungeons (normal and vet), 12-man trials (normal and vet), and pvp. Everything else can be done solo*

*Some things are more difficult if you don't know what you're doing such as the public dungeons, those can be tougher solo and some of the bosses in them will require at least one other person.

But you just described all the game's content as group content.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

What are some general tips for Cyrodiil? Should I use ranged weaponry or can I stay melee? It seems like a good source of experience so I figure it's worth messing around in PVP for a bit while the event is still on.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Kryopsis posted:

What are some general tips for Cyrodiil? Should I use ranged weaponry or can I stay melee? It seems like a good source of experience so I figure it's worth messing around in PVP for a bit while the event is still on.

As someone who rarely PVPs, what I did to grind up some alliance levels was just follow zone chat closely, to see where the action was going to be. You can also see hotspots on the map, but by the time you get to one, the action is likely to be over.

You'll be okay with melee as long as you have some way to close on a target (a charge ability or stealth), but a bow on your back bar isn't a bad idea.

Keep sieges and defense are by far the most rewarding as a solo PVP novice. Be sure to grab some ballista, catapults and trebuchet (and stone/wood repair for easy after battle XP) from the guild bank before you start; they'll be your main source of activity during the opening parts of the battle, as a melee player. If the siege/defense is successful, also help secure the three resource points near the keep for some extra XP.

Of course, tagging along with a goon group is the best way to go (Froid, Scy, Yhonix), as they'll have objectives in mind, and the experience and skill to get things done without being part of the Zerg. Be sure to set up Discord first if you want to join them, but you definitely should at some point. PVP changes from mindlessly tedious to fairly fun and exciting with them.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 26, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008

JackBadass posted:

But you just described all the game's content as group content.

if you consider group dungeons, trials, group bosses and pvp all of the game's content, then yeah. I dunno if you're trying to troll me or just you're just being dense, I'm assuming the former.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Kryopsis posted:

Just get into a group, say lfg in zone chat, hopefully you get a group that is doing siege defense or attacks, that will be the easiest way to get AP/level pvp lines. As far as weapons, melee is disadvantaged in this game, but if you want to, I'd roll 2-handed with a bow on your back bar.

ooo double post win

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

AnimalChin posted:

Can I get and invite to the NA guild?

@shortyeastcoast

I've basically been running around solo with a couple of characters in the low 20's. Still learning a lot.

I'm thinking this got overlooked as it was the last post on the page. Can I get in the chill bros?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Locator posted:

Help give me direction goons.

Here are my current stats now that I've gotten every slot up to CP160, all but one of them purple.

This is with a blue food buff for Health/Magicka.

I am currently running:
5pc - Seducers
3pc - War Maiden
3pc - Mothers Sorrow

What should my target numbers be for health/magicka, and what should I be working on getting (other than more CP and enough materials to make Julianos)?

I could re-enchant my chest from health to magicka for a 954 point swing if 17.5k health isn't too low.

Thanks.

Posted this a couple days back and never got a response, so I figured I would give it another shot. Any advise?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

The Locator posted:

Posted this a couple days back and never got a response, so I figured I would give it another shot. Any advise?

PvE or PvP? PvE you should have zero health enchantments, all magicka, your mundus should be... thief (whichever one is +crit %), what class are you?

I roll with like 17khp with food buff on my stamsorc, but I can heal the gently caress out of myself, the only thing that kills me is the rest of the group dying (sometimes I still live!) or one-shot poo poo that I don't dodge, so perhaps things are different for other classes. I am assuming you're running as a DPS?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

MF_James posted:

PvE or PvP? PvE you should have zero health enchantments, all magicka, your mundus should be... thief (whichever one is +crit %), what class are you?

I roll with like 17khp with food buff on my stamsorc, but I can heal the gently caress out of myself, the only thing that kills me is the rest of the group dying (sometimes I still live!) or one-shot poo poo that I don't dodge, so perhaps things are different for other classes. I am assuming you're running as a DPS?

Magika sorcerer, PvE, Thief mundus, mostly soloing, DPS and self heal with surge.

Thanks.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

The Locator posted:

Magika sorcerer, PvE, Thief mundus, mostly soloing, DPS and self heal with surge.

Thanks.

Yeah, my hot take is, get your magicka and crit % as high as you possibly can so you can poo poo out damage, you should be able to get 70%-75% crit rating with surge up, sharpened weapons, you'll probably want to roll dual wield on your front bar (I think that's still the thing?) but no DW skills, the last passive gives you a % damage boost to all skills/attacks unless it has been changed.

As for sets, I'm not 100% sure, someone with more magicka experience can chime in on that.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

MF_James posted:

Yeah, my hot take is, get your magicka and crit % as high as you possibly can so you can poo poo out damage, you should be able to get 70%-75% crit rating with surge up, sharpened weapons, you'll probably want to roll dual wield on your front bar (I think that's still the thing?) but no DW skills, the last passive gives you a % damage boost to all skills/attacks unless it has been changed.

As for sets, I'm not 100% sure, someone with more magicka experience can chime in on that.
The destruction staff line was given a passive skill (I think in Homestead?) which now gives you 8% bonus damage for either AoE/Single Target spells depending on the type of staff you have equipped and I haven't seen many Magicka builds using dual wield since.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Today was a hell of a day to get into PvP. Someone grabbed one of our elder scrolls and died, and someone in our party (I can't put voices to names yet, and with everything else going on I can hard remember those either) decided to go on a grand tour across half of Cyrodiil, causing most of that campaigns Ebonheart Pact members to ball up around the scroll carrier and resulting in a good half hour plus of castle crushing.

I still have barely any idea what I'm doing and died far more often than I should (getting caught out is very easy to do), but thanks for the group everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

I would like to join your goon guild and subscribe to your newsletter, please.

PC/NA @RexMantlepiece

Thanks, and God Bless.