Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

END ME SCOOB posted:

Well this is a thing we've all joked about for years.

I can't tell who lost out most here, the dudes who got to be sheltered from that for a year or the ones who came home to the madness.

That's so amazing. Hahahahah I just picture them being interviewed "So how was it in the wilderness?" "It was very difficult, we had to find our own food or else risk going hungry." "I thought there were 12 of you, but now I only see 3?" "....as I said, we were very hungry. Tribal council was a serious matter".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

And they just kept on filming and releasing contestants from the shoot location and nobody questioned any of this?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

IRQ posted:

And they just kept on filming and releasing contestants from the shoot location and nobody questioned any of this?

Some people chose to leave, but there were no "eliminations" or anything like that. Channel 4 claims they're still going to air the rest of the episodes, but that seems super unlikely.

Personally I'm waiting for the thriller/horror film adaptation where a group of TV executives try to forget about their failed reality project until the contestants track them down.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

blunt posted:

Some people chose to leave, but there were no "eliminations" or anything like that. Channel 4 claims they're still going to air the rest of the episodes, but that seems super unlikely.

Personally I'm waiting for the thriller/horror film adaptation where a group of TV executives try to forget about their failed reality project until the contestants track them down.

I feel like you just gave Jordan Peele an assignment.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

blunt posted:

All the best reality shows are of the 'last person to stand being miserable wins' format.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

blunt posted:

This could be right up there with Kid Nation in terms of the stories that come out of it.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

IRQ posted:

They should film their reactions when they come out and learn about all the crazy news that happened in the interim, like Trump winning the presidency, Brexit, etc.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MiddleOne posted:

All the best reality shows are of the 'last person to stand being miserable wins' format.

All reality shows are garbage though

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

raditts posted:

King of the garbage heap is still king. :colbert:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

You watch trash too, don't pretend like you're better.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

You watch trash too, don't pretend like you're better.

Sure, I watch and enjoy plenty of trash, but at least it's not reality-gameshow level trash.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 28, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Sure, I watch and enjoy plenty of trash, but at least it's not reality-gameshow level trash.

Guy named after anime calling others out on tv taste? :colbert:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

Guy named after anime calling others out on tv taste? :colbert:

I stand by my previous comment. :smugbert:

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
What's some good shows that everyone's currently watching?

I'm currently keeping up with Bates Motel, The Walking Dead, Homeland, 24 Legacy, and Billions. Bates Motel is really good, Homeland is slow but solid enough, no where as good fantastic as it was during the first two seasons. TWD is TWD. 24 Legacy is ok, but I miss Jack. Billions is interesting enough.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

-Blackadder- posted:

I'm currently keeping up with Bates Motel, The Walking Dead, Homeland, 24 Legacy, and Billions. Bates Motel is really good, Homeland is slow but solid enough, no where as good fantastic as it was during the first two seasons. TWD is TWD. 24 Legacy is ok, but I miss Jack. Billions is interesting enough.

Patriot

Legion

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Our Snak is growin up :')

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm enjoying Magicians quite a bit. Apparently Syfy doesn't bleep the word oval office anymore.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Sobriety's a hell of a drug.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I forgot that Mel Gibson did a movie called "THE Patriot" which makes searching for scenes from Patriot really hard. I was looking for a clip of the culmination of the Twizzler running gag. The speech he gives in episode 6 or 7 when it all finally comes together is magical.

"Again, not a sex thing!"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm also really liking The Expanse, but I kind of hesitate to recommend it, because honestly I think I like the idea of it more than the complete package. The Expanse feels like its plot is a story not told well enough to be its selling point, and its characters aren't developed well enough to be a selling point. So you have something that, on one hand, is really special because it's a well developed and fully featured premise and solid execution of its concepts, but on the other hand it falls short on both plot and character development.

I love it because it's my genre. It's based off a series of novels, which is something I think that's very apparent. It has the feel of print scifi adapted to the screen and not a setting created for television and written episode by episode. And that's my poo poo.

edit: ^ I mean, scenes of Patriot out of context have almost no value to someone who hasn't seen the show. But yeah.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think the Expanse is a cool concept and pretty production but just not really good TV. If you're into the sci-fi idea that might be enough but I don't actually think its a good very show.

Legion was the only show I was in hardcore "have to watch every week" mode until I just binged Imposters. Now that's on the list. There's a bunch of other shows I'm watching but none of them are shows I'd really recommend as "really good tv."

Hap and Leonardand Black Sails probably WOULD qualify for that but I'm saving them to binge.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
OKAY FINE YOU SHITS I'LL WATCH PATRIOT JESUS

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I think the Expanse is a cool concept and pretty production but just not really good TV. If you're into the sci-fi idea that might be enough but I don't actually think its a good very show.

The crew of the Rocinantii (sp?) are not well developed at all, there's not-Shepard, his girlfriend/lieutenant, dumb muscle guy, and not-Joker. Detective weird-hair's motivations were kind of tenuous at best.

Yet... the show is totally my jam because the world building is so interesting, syfy has managed to get their CG looking good enough to do a show like this now, and I'm a sucker for a sci fi cold war complete with balkanized proxy space stations and poo poo. I will never not be down for that. Also I love Shohreh Aghdashloo almost as much as Margo Martindale.

e: I haven't gotten a chance to start the books yet, but I've heard mixed things. One of the authors is the former assistant to The Gurm so that doesn't bode well.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm not really meaning to knock the show entirely. There's plenty of good things about it that kept me watching S1 and has me fully intending to watch S2. Its just lesser than the sum of its parts.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

IRQ posted:

I haven't gotten a chance to start the books yet, but I've heard mixed things.

FWIW, all 6 books in the series have approx. 4.5 star (out of 5) review averages on Amazon, and 4.2 on Goodreads. So if you've heard mixed things, it's likely been from a loud, non-representative minority...

That's not a guarantee that you'll like them, but still a pretty good chance.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

OKAY FINE YOU SHITS I'LL WATCH PATRIOT JESUS

You're gonna love it, I'm tellin' ye.

I guess I'll give this Imposters thing a go, I have no idea what it's about but I've seen like 20 people recommend it this week

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

less laughter posted:

FWIW, all 6 books in the series have approx. 4.5 star (out of 5) review averages on Amazon, and 4.2 on Goodreads. So if you've heard mixed things, it's likely been from a loud, non-representative minority...

That's not a guarantee that you'll like them, but still a pretty good chance.

That means literally nothing. All the Sword of Truth (Terry Goodkind) books have 4.5 stars...

edit: Also the entire Left Behind (Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins) series...

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 28, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

IRQ posted:

This could be right up there with Kid Nation in terms of the stories that come out of it.

What stories?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

precision posted:

You're gonna love it, I'm tellin' ye.

I guess I'll give this Imposters thing a go, I have no idea what it's about but I've seen like 20 people recommend it this week

I hesitate to say too much about the Imposters to describe ir and give anything cool and semi-surprising away but the best thing I can think to say is "its a dark comedy serial story about con men."

Shageletic posted:

What stories?

There were all kinds of completely predictable stories post show about how the kids burned themselves with grease fires and drank bleach and did the sort of stuff you'd expect kids to do if they had no adult supervision and were set to do work they had no idea how to do.

Someone definitely should have gone to jail for that one.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 28, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snak posted:

edit: ^ I mean, scenes of Patriot out of context have almost no value to someone who hasn't seen the show. But yeah.

I'd argue differently. I think there are plenty of vignettes and scenes that are interesting on their own. It's Coen-esque (ugh) in that way, scenes that are almost whole, and kinda tell a story on their own, and just for their own sake rather than the necessity of plot or anything.

Also this is probs the best intertwining of diagetec music I've seen in a long time.

edit; ^^^

welp, that's depressing

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah ok I'm in on Patriot. Was 50% there from the early folk song and then the urine sample thing got me the rest of the way. And y'all say it gets even better?

Also adding Imposters to my list.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

Samurai Gourmet on Netflix is the strangest and most endearing thing to come out this season. For more conventional options I'd recommend the Patriot and Imposters like everyone else because they are fantastic.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I'm not really meaning to knock the show entirely. There's plenty of good things about it that kept me watching S1 and has me fully intending to watch S2. Its just lesser than the sum of its parts.

I'm not intending to knock the show at all really, but there's some valid criticisms to be made, especially with regard to the characters.

Snak posted:

That means literally nothing. All the Sword of Truth (Terry Goodkind) books have 4.5 stars...

I've read all of these due to a combination of lots of free time when i was in school, coimpletionism I have since abandoned, and that I loving hate myself. They are not in any way worth 4.5 stars unless we're going on a scale of 1000 stars.

e: that being said I really want to get started on The Expanse, I just haven't had time.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Patriot does indeed continue to build on itself for the entire season.

I'm not knocking The Expanse either, it's just that I would only recommend it to people who really love science fiction. Especially people who love printSF.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I get that it's supposed to be a fun goofy episode and one of the many "have a romance between Scully and Mulder without having it 'count'" stunts the show has pulled, but I'm so skeeved out by this shapeshifter macking on Scully.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

IRQ posted:

I'm not intending to knock the show at all really, but there's some valid criticisms to be made, especially with regard to the characters.

e: that being said I really want to get started on The Expanse, I just haven't had time.

Honestly you'll probably like the books, the issues you, and others, have mentioned about the show are either just not there or addressed in some fashion. I think the show suffers from needing a bigger budget, for things in general, and also having a faster pace, as far as developing characters go. The books aren't perfect but they're a good read, especially if you like the setting and world enough alone to watch the show.

My main problem with the show stems from the recent episodes having the characters do stuff they wouldn't and in some cases having them do basically the opposite thing they did or taking the opposite stance on an issue that they did in the books. I haven't watched last week's episode, but the preview/promos lead me to believe they're getting back on track maybe, idk.

I'll also admit I'm only just now on book 5 of the series, so maybe they've mixed in later stuff earlier but I sorta doubt it.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

GreenNight posted:

I'm enjoying Magicians quite a bit. Apparently Syfy doesn't bleep the word oval office anymore.

I think they still bleep everything, but they censor such a tiny fraction of the word that you don't notice anymore.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Can Skinner go a week without getting framed for some poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah ok I'm in on Patriot. Was 50% there from the early folk song and then the urine sample thing got me the rest of the way. And y'all say it gets even better?

Also adding Imposters to my list.

Yes, the thing that pushed Patriot over the top to be officially "best tv show since Rectify season 1" for me is that it gets better with every episode. And every episode gives you more context and information about previous episodes. And everything that seems like a throwaway line or gag becomes an integral part of the mystery/thriller, and I do mean everything ("You got any Japanese girls? It's concerning Twizzlers")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eezee posted:

I think they still bleep everything, but they censor such a tiny fraction of the word that you don't notice anymore.

Yeah. Its funny because then they advertise the "uncensored" version of the show on On Demand where you can hear a bunch of extra syllables.

• Locked thread