Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

Do you think Jason Peters does?

He was an actual team leader and iirc assistant coach during the playoffs . He earned that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm not certain you could slot in any other QB into Romo's position and have them come out with a super bowl. It's a team sport.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm not certain you could slot in any other QB into Romo's position and have them come out with a super bowl. It's a team sport.

That’s nonsense lmao . Come on now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We just had a huge post about how romo was limited athletically up there

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

euphronius posted:

Peyton Manning might have been able to overcome Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett, but even then I'm not sure. Tom Brady on the Cowboys doesn't win any superbowls and they do worse because they were always playing from behind during Romo's years.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Well durr durr Drew Brees must be bad bc he doesn't win a superbowl every year and has a bunch of losing seasons

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

euphronius posted:

He was an actual team leader and iirc assistant coach during the playoffs . He earned that one.

Lol. You really are pathetic.

Foles said that Wentz was helping him learn parts of the playbook.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Swap Brady & Romo - Romo wins 4-5 superbowls and Tom wins none.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Jesus christ, which is it? Troy Aikman wins bc of his teams and Coach but Romo isn't allowed to lose because of his teams and coach?

Lets just cut to the chase and admit that we're either A) talking about a QB's ability and potential, or B) Talking about their career results.

It seems like such an easy thing to acknowledge that a QB has to be at a certain level of ability to win a superbowl, and the better they are the more likely it becomes, but that the existence of one is not proof of the other, and vice versa.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

Lol. You really are pathetic.

Foles said that Wentz was helping him learn parts of the playbook.

Probably the wrong plays

Anyway why would Wentz know the plays ? They redid the playbook once they got a qb who could execute plays

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Tom Brady wins 3+ superbowls if you swap him with Troy Aikman. I think the same could be said for any elite QB. Romo is among that group.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

euphronius posted:

Probably the wrong plays

Anyway why would Wentz know the plays ? They redid the playbook once they got a qb who could execute plays

Did you just forget the first 13 games of the regular season or what?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Tony romo won 10+ games 3 times

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Here's my hot take

Washington is a great football team and everyone should kiss them

But with consent

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

blarzgh posted:

Ever thought, "That draft grade is bullshit!" after Mel Kiper gives his ranking of how well your team did? Well, you were right!

In this study, nerds went and gathered hundreds of "Draft Class Grades" and stacked them up against players' future performance to see how well analysts did in predicting the future. The result? There was no correlation between draft grade and future value. Basically, Draft Grades mean nothing.

Didn't take a study to tell you that subjective grades with no metric to why they assigned those grades for players that have never touched the professional football field yet are clickbait nonsense.

What scares me is that if the grades were more consistent you'd believe them

Doltos fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 27, 2020

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Romo is the ultimate karma bomb for 90s Cowboys fans. An average to bad QB that's consistently underrated and overrated. It's beautiful the chaos he caused among the ranks.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Romo was essentially Marino tier but with the addition of not being an rear end in a top hat

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

Didn't take a study to tell you that subjective grades with no metric to why they assigned those grades for players that have never touched the professional football field yet are clickbait nonsense.

What scares me is that if the grades were more consistent you'd believe them

So, your take is, "Ha, you fools, I already KNEW those experts were wrong, therefore you are dumb for even questioning whether they were wrong!!! And, in fact, you are so dumb that if they were proven to be right you'd BELIEVE them!!"

?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Raku posted:

Romo was essentially Marino tier but with the addition of not being an rear end in a top hat

He was, in fact, a lovable goober instead.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Tony Romo has tiny eyes and lost a game because he was banging Jessica Simpson all night the night before.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

Romo is the ultimate karma bomb for 90s Cowboys fans. An average to bad QB that's consistently underrated and overrated. It's beautiful the chaos he caused among the ranks.

I Actually mostly agree with this take (except that he was a good to great QB). He was good enough, and just mercurial enough that he got to play the strawman for a decade of incompetence and unjustly absorb all the permutations of criticisms that should have been levelled at Jerry for his garbage management of the team, thus locking dumb, entitled cowboys fandom into a circle jerk about Romo for 10 years while ignoring the fact that that malingering old lich was buttfucking his own franchise all to prove to his gossamer ego that he "was a real football man!" and "coulda done it without Jimmy!"

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

blarzgh posted:

So, your take is, "Ha, you fools, I already KNEW those experts were wrong, therefore you are dumb for even questioning whether they were wrong!!! And, in fact, you are so dumb that if they were proven to be right you'd BELIEVE them!!"

?

Yes. Because:

Doltos posted:

You need to start critically thinking blarzgh. Every post I see from you is based entirely off of someone else's research that almost always boils down to stats. It really doesn't take a huge leap to get to my position here.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

Yes. Because:

You need to start critically thinking blarzgh. Every post I see from you is based entirely off of someone else's research that almost always boils down to stats. It really doesn't take a huge leap to get to my position here.

Ok, so your personal dictionary reads as follows?>

"Critical Thinking": just accept whatever someone says (you, in this case).

"NOT Critical Thinking": investigating whether something is true or false, and referring to evidence to inform or change an assessment.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Its amazing you haven't been scooped up by and NFL scouting department yet; we really are lucky you're down here in the dregs posting, instead of up in a front office somewhere.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Doltos posted:

Yea really you guys need to start marking yourselves because you're blending together with philly and by god if I had redskins fans in here I'd have to whip them into some sort of voting bloc to compete

Washington Football Team fan here.

You’re an idiot.

PS how can you have a top quarterback list without including Steve loving Young?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Andre Dillard out for year after biceps injury

Jason Peters, slide on down

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Christ

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

gently caress

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

predicto posted:

You’re an idiot.

PS how can you have a top quarterback list without including Steve loving Young?

Probably forgot.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why do footballers get that injury a lot ? All of the weightlifting ?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Thank you for knowing that.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

blarzgh posted:

Its amazing you haven't been scooped up by and NFL scouting department yet; we really are lucky you're down here in the dregs posting, instead of up in a front office somewhere.

I mean you can be mad about it or you can learn something from this.

predicto posted:

You’re an idiot.

I thought there was a moratorium in people being called an idiot for their football opinion or does that just apply to me?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

The Eagles are a good team with a good QB.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Marino is the 2nd best QB of all time foolish dummies

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Amy Pole Her posted:

Marino is the 2nd best QB of all time foolish dummies

1. Jay Cutler
2. Brett Favre
3. Kyle Orton

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I mean in terms of pure arm strength Cutler is up there probably all time at #1

Guy just had an absolutely insane rifle attached to a pud.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Things going in favor of romo
1. So handsome
2. Saying he was really good is a backdoor criticism of Jones

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I was never scared of Romo. The 2011 final game of the year I was behind the Cowboys bench during warmups and his hand was so swollen. I knew pregame he didn’t have it and lo and behold he fumbled the game away.

Also 2007 NFC Championship right into triple coverage last play of the game in the end zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I feel bad for Romo sometimes. Cowboys fans that never looked up stats would see a QB that didn't look like a franchise QB running around the field throwing passes that weren't bullets or especially insanely accurate so they always wanted to replace him. Other Cowboys fans would point out his great stats and wonder why they should be hunting a white whale QB when building a team around this guy would make sense. Outsiders who played the Cowboys probably got frustrated a lot at how much he was being talked up for his play because it wasn't traditionally what people wanted a QB to do. He'd dink and dunk then throw a crappy little screen pass to a RB or a TE which would get turned up field for a big gain. Literally 41% of his targets were within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage and that's not entirely on the WRs. It's also not entirely a bad thing because it's the modern day offense that everyone runs now. Not saying he was the first QB to run predominately out of the shotgun working a WCO, but Dallas' offense was one of the trend setters in the middle/late 2000's. Also he flubbed two big playoff games early on in his career. The infamous fumble and the INT against the Giants. That definitely shaped his overall worth even though he went on to have 4 more playoff games he generally played really well in.

My issue with him is always that his arm strength wasn't that good and he wasn't that accurate. I don't care what the stats say, I watched enough Romo noodle passes get reeled in by Witten or Dez to not care that he led the league in ypc and completion at one point in his career. I believe he was constantly bailed out by his really good teammates that for some reason people discount constantly. Romo fanatics act like he grew up on the Browns or something. His offenses were always stacked with some quality #1 WR, a great grinding RB, and Jason Witten. Jason Garrett play calling was taken away from him and half the time Romo called his own plays at the line anyway so who cares about that too. Hell even his defenses were quality sometimes with only that one terrible year where Wade Phillips got canned.

I don't know why he didn't win championships. All I know is that his yards a game and yards per attempt dipped hard in his playoff games and his sack rates went up. That combined with my all seeing eye for talent makes me feel like a lot of teams rightfully sat back and told him to beat them with his arm, which he couldn't do.