Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
Finished the tower. I uh. have mixed thoughts.

No direct spoilers just my thoughts on the general nature of it.
I really loved finding the tower. Once actually there it was a bit too... I wanna be the guy? like, la mulana is has its deathtraps sure, but even hell temple wasn't this bad. Ok maybe it was harder in some cases and lands of hell were fates worse than death sometimes but I liked its puzzles a lot more, both the OG and the remake ones. This was kinda fun but severely lacking in what made me fall in love with hell temple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
How is the gameplay on the tower DLC? Worth getting if I wasnt willing to play through the original hell temple? More reasonable maybe?

Also really wonder why this took them so long to release!

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 25, 2022

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010

Mercury_Storm posted:

How is the gameplay on the tower DLC? Worth getting if I wasnt willing to play through the original hell temple? More reasonable maybe?

Also really wonder why this took them so long to release!

It's not not the gauntlet that hell temple was. The puzzles to enter are much more solvable by oneself and the contents aren't as difficult I don't think.

it's still designed to be harder than the base game though and I'm not sure I'd call all of it good? But it's 5 bucks so.

Also I think it took so long cause I believe it was just the one dude, not the whole gang, who did it. also probably some motivational issues; 2 didn't exactly get received as well as the OG remake and all the kickstarter stress and making a game that only did ok but took everything out of them.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

iirc the dlc wasn't even something reached by the kickstarter goals in the first place so it was kind of up in the air if it'd even be a thing at all

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I’m replaying 2 so I can remember everything and man some of this stuff is just a drag. I’m obviously into puzzles or I wouldn’t be playing but two ankh jewels in a row require talking to a random person, the “shrine maiden”, and now Indra, to get them to appear. I would be okay with it were these forecasted at all, but both these guys required other key items too, which in La Mulana 1 would have been all it takes to get the fight going. I’ve got vague recollections that this continues, too, with Ra needing me to have him murder a couple people first if I remember correctly. Maybe it’s just a thing the game does for every boss, and I’ll just need to get used to the tedium… Am I missing some actual clues with these?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Nope, there's definitely some bullshit NPC triggers that are completely arbitrary and missable. Ra at least is explained through dialog and actions as he talks about his plans and you can chase his trail around the zone to each door in a similar manner to the Trickster in roots.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
(Tower of Oannes) Should I be listening to Gyonin King telling me not to bother with certain rooms, or is that just misdirection and I'm supposed to do something? I found two rooms like that. I'm not sure what else to do now, I feel like I've rubbed my face against every wall I can find and still only two bosses down.

Also, the ROM combo that gives you an extra life interacts real badly with the triangular squeezy traps.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 25, 2022

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

(Tower of Oannes) Should I be listening to Gyonin King telling me not to bother with certain rooms, or is that just misdirection and I'm supposed to do something? I found two rooms like that. I'm not sure what else to do now, I feel like I've rubbed my face against every wall I can find and still only two bosses down.

Also, the ROM combo that gives you an extra life interacts real badly with the triangular squeezy traps.

He's telling the truth, you'll be told when it's time to go into those rooms. Did you find the door that opens after beating the second boss?

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Ledgem posted:

Finished the tower. I uh. have mixed thoughts.

No direct spoilers just my thoughts on the general nature of it.
I really loved finding the tower. Once actually there it was a bit too... I wanna be the guy? like, la mulana is has its deathtraps sure, but even hell temple wasn't this bad. Ok maybe it was harder in some cases and lands of hell were fates worse than death sometimes but I liked its puzzles a lot more, both the OG and the remake ones. This was kinda fun but severely lacking in what made me fall in love with hell temple.

I have this feeling as well. I'm loving it but holy moly the tower is griefing the gently caress out of me.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Finished the Tower

And I didnt like it. Who is this DLC even for?
People who want more la mulana puzzles get a badly worded and vague intro puzzle and nothing more.
People who want more hell temple arent challenged. The DLC is easier than Spiral Hell.
People who want lore or story find....absolutely nothing.

The kaizo traps got a little chuckle out of me but eventually I figured out how they place them and just started avoiding them, aside from the first few rooms I was never really surprised or had my expectations

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Thanks for the help, got the tower beat now.

I don't regret buying it or playing the DLC. The tower itself was certainly more Shobon no Action than I expected it to be, but it was more La-Mulana and I can't say no to that. I would've enjoyed it more if that Underworld hint wasn't completely bugged. :shakefist:

But it certainly wasn't very difficult. I wouldn't say it's less difficult than Spiral Hell because honestly Spiral Hell isn't that bad either and it's kind of a different challenge anyway, but Tower of Oannes has nothing on Hell Temple. What was with that mantra statue, by the way? I never used it. Is it just there as a complete red herring?

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 26, 2022

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

it is, and if you use the pillar with no mantras you get crushed.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
DLC done, started out so good (except the bugged tablet) and wound up being... tedious platforming and a hunt for breakable/invisible walls :effort:

Really wanted something along the lines of Hell Temple with a bunch of cool puzzles and memorable traps.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I can't even figure out how to start the DLC. Went up the platforming area near the La-Mulana entrance that opened up late game, saw someone say that they met a new dude in Annwfn, but I've scoured that place up and down and I don't see anything new Any vague hints?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ymgve posted:

I can't even figure out how to start the DLC. Went up the platforming area near the La-Mulana entrance that opened up late game, saw someone say that they met a new dude in Annwfn, but I've scoured that place up and down and I don't see anything new Any vague hints?

i don't know how to vague hint this because there's no like puzzle to it, i think it's just a finicky trigger you're failing to hit.
you need to have the corridor of blood all linked up and have beaten heimdall. go down to bifrost, and try entering the room where you fight heimdall from the left. a new ladder should drop down from the top left on that screen.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

lets hang out posted:

i don't know how to vague hint this because there's no like puzzle to it, i think it's just a finicky trigger you're failing to hit.
you need to have the corridor of blood all linked up and have beaten heimdall. go down to bifrost, and try entering the room where you fight heimdall from the left. a new ladder should drop down from the top left on that screen.

Thanks, I just wasn't far enough in the game, I assumed the new area opening up was the start of "you can do the DLC now" but of course it wouldn't be that simple.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

(Tower of Oannes spoilers) Hey, look what i found in the Underworld near the Doom tablet:

I'm 100% sure this thing wasn't there earlier though. I don't know when it appeared, but it certainly did it too late to be useful. A bug?

Where did you find this? I've scoured the area you've specified, but I haven't seen anything new there.

edit: apparently there's a bug and this only shows up AFTER you've already completed the puzzle it hints about

ymgve fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 1, 2022

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

ymgve posted:

Where did you find this? I've scoured the area you've specified, but I haven't seen anything new there.

edit: apparently there's a bug and this only shows up AFTER you've already completed the puzzle it hints about

For the precise location, it's the room at the very top of the area where the boss is; starting from the grail point before the boss, just go up and right as far as you can. But this definitely wasn't there before I had already solved the puzzle, no.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

ymgve posted:

You need to have triggered the endgame sequence to access the DLC. Just saw someone else streaming who had this same problem, so they had to progress the game to that point. Specifically, you need to have killed Heimdall and triggered "the end"

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Finished the DLC. it was pretty good! It has a slow start compared to hell temple, but it picked up at the second tower. Lots of tricky platforming and vertical progression of the sort I was hoping for.

I replayed the whole game to reach it, and it once again made me sad that the rocky release blocked its chance at the popularity i think it deserved. It's a really good game now that most of the bugs have been ironed out, and there are so many fantastic moments especially later in the game, like activating the corridor of blood, instantly asphyxiating in space, the eternal prison door puzzle, entering spiral hell.... It's a shame that there's probably never going to be a game like this, and at this level of ambition, released again

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Did they buff either Hard mode or the bosses? They are far stronger than I remember them. Vritra took me like 2 hours of attempts and I barely remember him being anything more than a speed bump in my original run. Even for hard mode it felt a bit too hard when he's doing 30-60 damage with all his attacks and your max hp is only 96. Doing One Finger too so I couldn't just gun him down.

At least now with the 2-boss door open the game opens up a bunch and I can go get upgrades for the next bosses.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Ojetor posted:

Did they buff either Hard mode or the bosses? They are far stronger than I remember them. Vritra took me like 2 hours of attempts and I barely remember him being anything more than a speed bump in my original run. Even for hard mode it felt a bit too hard when he's doing 30-60 damage with all his attacks and your max hp is only 96.

At least now with the 2-boss door open the game opens up a bunch and I can go get upgrades for the next bosses.

Yes, I'm pretty sure hard mode got a balance update some time along the way. I had the same reaction to vrtra, it took ages to get a pattern down to eke out a win and it never felt that tough on my first run.

For Jormungand I took one or two attempts at an honest fight and then bought a gun in a huff and emptied a clip into it for an instant win

e: there's a lot of sub-bosses that felt a lot harder on my replay than they used to be, too. Most of them I had to find ways to lock them into predictable AI patterns and then throw spears to have any chance

Venuz Patrol fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 5, 2022

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I remember one of the things that stood out to me tuning wise was Hall of Malice, by chance when I played it first around September just after release and I guess it had been too hard and some of the stuff there was super nerfed, I learned this later when I played the switch version and got wrecked repeatedly.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

At least they fixed Hall of Malice so that you can't start it without opening the entrance there from Heaven's Labyrinth like you could on release. Why yes I did get stuck in there and had to grind my way all the way through the crab boss to get out, why do you ask.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Truly earning your username and avatar!

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Venuz Patrol posted:

Yes, I'm pretty sure hard mode got a balance update some time along the way. I had the same reaction to vrtra, it took ages to get a pattern down to eke out a win and it never felt that tough on my first run.

For Jormungand I took one or two attempts at an honest fight and then bought a gun in a huff and emptied a clip into it for an instant win

e: there's a lot of sub-bosses that felt a lot harder on my replay than they used to be, too. Most of them I had to find ways to lock them into predictable AI patterns and then throw spears to have any chance

Yeah, I won't have that option if I wanna do the cheevo. Right now I'm trying to get as many upgrades as possible since Kujata is also ridiculously hard.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

I'm in the middle of trying to figure out opening the DLC content, and I'm currently stumped on the "useless trap" riddle. I'm guessing I need to use a mantra at some sort of trap, but the problem is that I have zero clue on where this trap is to begin with. Nothing's really jumping out at me, other than maybe like, this one trapped pedestal in Ancient Chaos, two screens below the guardian, where activating it very definitely played a "trap activated" noise, but nothing seemed to have happened? But that doesn't seem to be it. Other than that, I've got absolutely nothing.

XavierGenisi fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 17, 2022

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

XavierGenisi posted:

I'm in the middle of trying to figure out opening the DLC content, and I'm currently stumped on the "useless trap" riddle. I'm guessing I need to use a mantra at some sort of trap, but the problem is that I have zero clue on where this trap is to begin with. Nothing's really jumping out at me, other than maybe like, this one trapped pedestal in Ancient Chaos, two screens below the guardian, where activating it very definitely played a "trap activated" noise, but nothing seemed to have happened? Other than that, I've got absolutely nothing.

I kiiiiind of get what they were going for with the wording "useless trap", but I still think it's a weird way to describe it. It's more like a place where it looks like you can get stuck, but not really. There's no chime or anything associated with it.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Minor clue: The word "trap" is kind of misleading. Think more broadly than that.

Bigger clue: The location in question is something that takes a little bit of thought to get to and was in the original game, but which didn't seem to really do anything. It might have made you think "huh, that's weird, what is this for?"

Area spoiler: The location you are looking for is in this area: Ancient Chaos.

Full solution: It's that weird little cubbyhole room immediately to the right of the grail tablet in Ancient Chaos that you can crawl into by climbing onto a pot.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 17, 2022

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

Got it, thanks! I was actually kinda thinking about it that spot after I posted about that riddle, but I had completely forgot how I was supposed to get there, and wasn't entirely sure if that was the place.

Also that was the last of the riddles, so of course once I went to go collect my prize, the treasure chest crushed me. Never change, La Mulana. :allears:

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

My first thought for that was the big rear end sword in Frost Giants that doesn't do anything and my next thought was something around the "only those with the mastery of weapons may pass" trap in Icefire, because I think I remembered going there without the Vajra at around launch and nothing in particular happened...

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Hey, i'm playing original rear end la mulana('s remake). I know that you're supposed to be able to activate the first ankh in guidance gate by going over the invisible bridge, lowering a wall, going over the other part of the invisible bridge, jumping a gap, and then the big section you land on is supposed to open up with a ladder. It isn't doing that for me. I can't get down to activate the switch. Is this a glitch? Is there a trigger I'm missing?

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

If you're still stuck on triggering the ankh, assuming I'm remembering correctly there should be two triggers on the left side of the invisible bridge. First you'll need to push the grey block onto the floor switch, which should open up the wall above you where the invisible bridge starts. Second there'll be a weight trigger behind the wall that just opened up. That weight switch should be what opens the wall on the right side of the invisible bridge.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

yeah, i forgot to post again but I did figure out I had missed that first switch. so it goes.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

well. i've gotten through temple of the sun, guidance gate, spring in the sky and mausoleum of giants, as well as poking a bit into temple of moonlight, endless corridor, twin labrynths. i'm a bit paralyzed now. there's simply like 800 loving directions to go in and i don't know which to go in. the realization killing bosses opens up passages in /totally unrelated areas/ absolutely doesn't help. I'm trying not to use a guide too much but jesus christ, this is so much. there's so much loving game. hoofa doofa. the bosses opening passages part is really the worst part here, like, the fact that they might be in totally unrelated places means i have to scour over everything every time?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You have so many paths to choose from that I don't think there's a bleeding need to double check what you've already done after every boss unless you are truly stuck and can't find something new to explore.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I want to say in general when something major changes from boss kills in LM1 you'll eventually get a nudge from Xelpud so I wouldn't worry about it too much, best way to apply that knowledge is to know that it's a good habit to not delay fighting bosses once you're set up to take them on.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

ah... i'd been basically ignoring xelphud outside the emails. oops, i guess i should talk to him. I guess the emails have mostly been useful, if that's what you mean.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Nea posted:

ah... i'd been basically ignoring xelphud outside the emails. oops, i guess i should talk to him. I guess the emails have mostly been useful, if that's what you mean.

You absolutely need to listen to Xelpud and anyone else who will talk to you, as well as take thorough notes of everything.

It's doable without a guide, but if you're trying to play it like any other metroidvania... Well, this is around the time when doing that gets way harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
My first time through I sure wasn't taking notes and after a certain point realized it would have been wise ended up spending hours revisiting nearly everywhere writing notes and trying to put it all together.