Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Murano CrossCabriolet will be a future classic as kids of today remember fondly how their mom used to have one of those back in the day.
You heard it hear first.
Buy one now and store it in a barn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What will finally kill old cars is ironically range anxiety.

As EVs take over mainstream, gas stations will go the way of phone booths. It will become too much of a PITA for most people to refuel a gas powered vehicle.

We got a long while before that happens, but it's going to be a huge generational cutoff.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
We'll just see more cars with giant jerry cans of fuel hanging off of the sides.

Is "jerry can" a racist term?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

CornHolio posted:

We'll just see more cars with giant jerry cans of fuel hanging off of the sides.

Naw.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Average age for cars in Japan was 8.3 in 2015, which is similar to Germany and a a few years below the US and EU average. So they aren't scraping them very early at all.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/680051/japan-passenger-car-average-age/
https://www.eea.europa.eu/data-and-maps/daviz/average-age-of-road-vehicles-6

CornHolio posted:

We won so it's ok.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

CornHolio posted:

If it was sustainability we were truly after, wouldn't we want to stop buying new and keep the stuff we have on the road going for as long as possible?

That way we would get Cuba. I don't think it will take that long to offset the emissions from car production when you compare it to some 20 year old junker with a built-in smoke screen.

When asking the question whether it's more ecological to buy a new car or keep using your old is, that we usually compare the new car and it's emissions to the newish car you want to get rid of. But the new car will not replace your previous car. Someone else will buy it and continue to use it for years to come, and their old car will go to someone else. At the end of the chain is some god awful clunker that will be turned in to a metal cube, and that is the car replaced by your new car.

That raises an interesting question. How often should the people who buy new cars buy a new one if we want to minimize the emissions produced by manufacturing and use of cars?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Saukkis posted:

That raises an interesting question. How often should the people who buy new cars buy a new one if we want to minimize the emissions produced by manufacturing and use of cars?

I'd say pretty frequently, and I'd also suggest that the large parts of the US with no safety or emissions inspections are the lowest hanging fruit. If you made people fix their nonfunctional emissions system that would be step 1.

Edit: I just moved from a state that has a safety inspection to one that doesn't, and I've noticed more dangerously bald tires here for sure. It seems like some segment of the population doesn't even replace tires when cords are showing unless the state forces an inspection on them.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
A 10 year old Volvo XC90 V8 (317g co per km) would in 60000 km (about 3 years driving for me) puke out 19 tonnes of carbon dioxide. Before a new VW e-Golf is even sold, about 23 tonnes of carbon dioxide have been expelled by mining, transport and manufacturing et al.

Sure, the XC90 wasn't summoned from thin air either, but it already exists. I can't make those emissions disappear by having it crushed.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

mobby_6kl posted:

Average age for cars in Japan was 8.3 in 2015, which is similar to Germany and a a few years below the US and EU average. So they aren't scraping them very early at all.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/680051/japan-passenger-car-average-age/
https://www.eea.europa.eu/data-and-maps/daviz/average-age-of-road-vehicles-6

We won so it's ok.

Neat, I am glad of their inspection standards though.

Twerk from Home posted:

I'd say pretty frequently, and I'd also suggest that the large parts of the US with no safety or emissions inspections are the lowest hanging fruit. If you made people fix their nonfunctional emissions system that would be step 1.

Edit: I just moved from a state that has a safety inspection to one that doesn't, and I've noticed more dangerously bald tires here for sure. It seems like some segment of the population doesn't even replace tires when cords are showing unless the state forces an inspection on them.

I'd kill for the rigorous Japanese-esque inspection standards around here in the US coupled with Finland-like license requirements. I know I'd be willing to keep up and the roads would certainly be safer places.
I don't think non-functional emissions equipment on private cars even makes that much of a blip on the overall emissions of the human race when you mix in everything though, are they?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

A 10 year old Volvo XC90 V8 (317g co per km) would in 60000 km (about 3 years driving for me) puke out 19 tonnes of carbon dioxide. Before a new VW e-Golf is even sold, about 23 tonnes of carbon dioxide have been expelled by mining, transport and manufacturing et al.

Sure, the XC90 wasn't summoned from thin air either, but it already exists. I can't make those emissions disappear by having it crushed.

Aren't those ships run by bunker fuel and probably one of the worst polluters? When taken into everything a new car is always worse for the environment than using the one that already exists and you have to stretch on some really long timelines in order to even start to even those numbers up.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Saukkis posted:

That way we would get Cuba. I don't think it will take that long to offset the emissions from car production when you compare it to some 20 year old junker with a built-in smoke screen.

Part of the issue in Cuba is also the fact that they were putting cobbled-together hosed up drivetrains into those old cars in a lot of cases, and that's something which I don't think will particularly be the case anywhere ever again, absent a similar sort of bureaucratic nonsense and artificial scarcity as existed in Cuba for so long. Now, the people restoring classic American cars are doing it 100% as a tourist business, and probably drive a Korean or Chinese car day-to-day.

The big ol' yank tanks are still "iconic" but there's way more Kias, Hyundais, Skodas, Geelys, and other cheap poo poo rattling around these days.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

KakerMix posted:

Aren't those ships run by bunker fuel and probably one of the worst polluters?

Something like that, in absolute terms.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

How is it 2017 and we still haven't tamed sharks like horses and gotten them to just pull ships across the ocean? Seaquest DSV had that talking dolphin and that was in the 90's.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

There's a V8 XC90? They all use a 2.0L inline four afaik.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yeah, but that wasn't true 10 years ago.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Q_res posted:

Yeah, but that wasn't true 10 years ago.

My bad, didn't realize they made XC90s back then, assumed they were all XC70s.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Finger Prince posted:

The Murano CrossCabriolet will be a future classic as kids of today remember fondly how their mom used to have one of those back in the day.
You heard it hear first.

I saw one of these in traffic the other day and LOL'd. I've seen at least a dozen different ones which I believe is a significant portion of the ones made and sold.

KakerMix posted:

Hummer H2s are totally going to be a gaudy classic sort of thing like the 50s cars with the fins. It perfectly captures just what was going on in the 2000s culturally in the US. We'll see one in 20 years and go "Wow I haven't seen one of those..." and have this unironic sort of nostalgia as we explain to all the kids around why you are paying attention to this hideous plastic-chromed yellow thing.

Can definitely see this happening too. I remember back in the mid 2000's those things were everywhere and now they stick out like a sore thumb

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

You heard it hear first.

Rush had "Red Barchetta" so who will sing "Gray Murano CrossCabriolet?"

Instead of Little Deuce Coupe we'll have Leased Accord Coupe with a line about LED running lights and chrome exhaust tips.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 20, 2017

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Is there a chart of scrap age by state vs country? I'm guessing Mississippi is past slovakia.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

KakerMix posted:

I'd kill for the rigorous Japanese-esque inspection standards around here in the US coupled with Finland-like license requirements. I know I'd be willing to keep up and the roads would certainly be safer places.

The problem with bringing that to the US is that you'd gently caress over a great many people who simply can't afford to do much more than the bare minimum to keep their cars running (without which they can't get to work).

If you can wait a few years, Uber and Lyft should hopefully be able to offer self-driving taxi service at a cost per mile not much greater than the average cost of maintaining a car (certainly way less expensive than conventional taxis, or living in one of the few parts of this country with quality public transportation). Then there will be absolutely no excuse to let people drive around with bald tires or a near-total lack of skill.

Or I suppose we could upgrade all our cities with bus/light rail service on the level of Western Europe, or enact a livable minimum wage, but good luck getting politicians on board with that.

Saukkis posted:

When asking the question whether it's more ecological to buy a new car or keep using your old is, that we usually compare the new car and it's emissions to the newish car you want to get rid of. But the new car will not replace your previous car. Someone else will buy it and continue to use it for years to come, and their old car will go to someone else. At the end of the chain is some god awful clunker that will be turned in to a metal cube, and that is the car replaced by your new car.

One major factor there would be the fact that cars today last much longer than they did decades ago. And with all the R&D in emission control and efficiency in the past 20 years, it's possible that their tailpipe output won't reach "smoke screen" levels before they reach the end of their useful lifespan.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I say we socialize good tires / wipers / aquapel. It'd be cheaper than the costs of the accidents and slowdowns and bad weather.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

PT6A posted:

Part of the issue in Cuba is also the fact that they were putting cobbled-together hosed up drivetrains into those old cars in a lot of cases, and that's something which I don't think will particularly be the case anywhere ever again, absent a similar sort of bureaucratic nonsense and artificial scarcity as existed in Cuba for so long. Now, the people restoring classic American cars are doing it 100% as a tourist business, and probably drive a Korean or Chinese car day-to-day.

I'd imagine it's a whole lot easier to cobble something together and get it to fit in a 1960s Chevrolet than it would be to do the same in a 2005 Honda Civic.

Anyway New Zealand has safety inspections but they're only annual now, and most people take a pass to mean the car will be good for another year without being touched. It does weed out a lot of more modern vehicles that have something expensive wrong with them though - all it takes is the SRS warning light on to make a lot of cars on the road not worth repairing.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

That's my point, no one would crush a XC90. What the crusher will get is a 25 year old Volvo 780 or 960. Think how much cash you would have in your pocket if you sold your XC90 and replaced it with a 780.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ohrmazd posted:

I say we socialize good tires / wipers / aquapel. It'd be cheaper than the costs of the accidents and slowdowns and bad weather.

In all seriousness, there's some precedent here. AZ only does emissions inspections, which includes a fuel cap pressure test. They figured out that for cars that failed that test, it cost the state more to make owners replace the cap themselves and retest, than it did to just give out new caps.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

dissss posted:

I'd imagine it's a whole lot easier to cobble something together and get it to fit in a 1960s Chevrolet than it would be to do the same in a 2005 Honda Civic.

Good point. Also easier to repair in the event of an accident or whatever, since it's not unibody.

On something of a tangent: I remember a Cuban racing club being featured on some TV show, and the host (I want to say it may have been Anthony Bourdain) asked them which generation of Corvette they'd have if they could pick any one. Everyone was like, "are you insane? The new one!" The people who are forced to rely on old cars are rarely, if ever, the people who fetishize them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Right, it's one thing to have an old car as a hobby, it's another thing to depend on it for your livelihood. Old cars suck at the primary duty of cars, which is to provide convenient, safe, reliable, comfortable, low-cost transportation.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Or if it is a reliable old one it barely goes highway speed so you're going 20mph under highway speed like an asshat.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like Hyundai got it right with the G70:

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/09/21/genesis-g70-first-drive-review/

http://driving.ca/genesis/reviews/road-test/first-drive-2018-genesis-g70

Wonder how much of a poo poo kicking I'd take financially if I traded in my 2015 Genesis...

TKIY fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 22, 2017

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

TKIY posted:

Wonder how much of a poo poo kicking I'd take financially if I traded in my 2015 Genesis...

I wonder how much a 2.0 / 6-speed manual would run...

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
What are some nice/premium small cars? My sister is looking at leasing a Fiat 500x (the fugly 4 door model) in a few months and I've got to think there is something way better. I told her a Fit or a CX-5 if she was considering a small SUV but she seems unenthused by the prospects. Mini was an additional option she was considering, but I guess the nearest dealer is 1.5 hours away.

e: She has a loaded Ford Fusion plug-in hybrid lease now and she likes it, but her new construction home has a laughably small garage so physical size is the primary consideration. She's going to miss some of the "fancy" that the ford has so that's why I was looking for something small but yet premium feature wise.

dreesemonkey fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 22, 2017

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

dreesemonkey posted:

What are some nice/premium small cars? My sister is looking at leasing a Fiat 500x (the fugly 4 door model) in a few months and I've got to think there is something way better. I told her a Fit or a CX-5 if she was considering a small SUV but she seems unenthused by the prospects. Mini was an additional option she was considering, but I guess the nearest dealer is 1.5 hours away.

e: She has a loaded Ford Fusion plug-in hybrid lease now and she likes it, but her new construction home has a laughably small garage so physical size is the primary consideration. She's going to miss some of the "fancy" that the ford has so that's why I was looking for something small but yet premium feature wise.

You can get a Focus with a lot of the same options as the Fusion.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

dreesemonkey posted:

Seems like a bad idea. Talking her out of a car she likes and into one she doesn't like is going to breed resentment for a long time. If it ends up being a lovely car, she only has herself to blame and it's just a lease so she can be out of it in three years.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
He's not talking her out of it, he's just suggesting alternatives.

The 500x can probably be had for next to nothing right now, so I'm not sure if there's even any alternatives in the same price range - I doubt any of the good Jaapanese marques are going to be anywhere close. Nissan Juke? Outlander Sport? Buick Encore? MT Focus TItanium?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Poke around on forum.leasehackr.com...I don't think the 500x leases very well, and she may be able to get into a much better car for less money.

edit: Also check the edmunds forums for leasing info: https://forums.edmunds.com/discussions/tagged/x/leasing
carsdirect.com also has good info if you're in Southern California.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 22, 2017

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Deteriorata posted:

Seems like a bad idea. Talking her out of a car she likes and into one she doesn't like is going to breed resentment for a long time. If it ends up being a lovely car, she only has herself to blame and it's just a lease so she can be out of it in three years.

She probably won't let me talk her out of it, I'd just like to give her more options to consider, especially since I don't think she's gone to look at anything yet, she's just going by what it looks like I think. The reason I'm trying to talk her out of it is the typical "lol FCA" anecdotes, but again it's a lease and she works from home so if it's a poo poo pile she won't be that inconvenienced.

Thanks for the forum recommendations, I'll pass those along to her and check out the focus as well.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

TKIY posted:

I'm annoyed there's a 99% chance they will not offer RWD as an option in Canada on the G70 (or the Stinger).

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The 500X is the same as the Jeep Renegade, both are pretty cool cars, I say support her cool decision.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

PCOS Bill posted:

The 500X is the same as the Jeep Renegade, both are pretty cool cars, I say support her cool decision.

Jesus, the renegade is that bad?
I rented a 500x (or was it an L?) when they came out in the UK and it was comparably as bad as a car2go Smart (not the new ones). Granted it was fitted with some 90hp 2 cylinder diesel tractor engine that was truly awful, but the rest of it was nearly as bad. At least the Renegade looks good.

I've been looking at small cars to downsize to and found this website pretty handy. It's not comprehensive, and it's only UK models, but a lot of stuff is sold in north America anyway
http://www.automobiledimension.com/car-comparison.php
From this I get that a Fusion (Mondeo) isn't really that much wider that a 500x - less than 6cm in the body and 10cm mirror to mirror. It is considerably shorter though, if it's more a length issue than width.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

dreesemonkey posted:

Look at the Lincoln MKC. They're handsome, small, and the interiors are great.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

Jesus, the renegade is that bad?

Yes. It's a terrible car to drive if you like driving. But so are the majority of cars on the road. I hated both the Renegade and Cherokee I had for extended periods as rentals. They're both absolute garbage for many reasons with the engine and 9 speed transmission leading the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My 20 minutes inside of the renegade was enough. Terribly uncomfortable.