Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

SEKCobra posted:

How do you guys know when to stop riding? I just don't wanna.

If you're still feeling good keep going, but be aware of your own limits (and local conditions) - finding yourself two hundred miles from home with the sun going down and your brain and body knackered is no fun at all.

Also get a bike with a smaller fuel tank, so you're stopping once an hour and getting off the bike. That's normally when your body will file any complaints it's been holding off because you were having fun, and also lets you have a chance to have a stretch, a piss and a drink which will cut down the overall fatigue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Good video on tire pressures:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaIuWKfnGEI
I feel incredibly stupid for not doing this. I've always just done 42/36 on all my bikes outside of track, like the manual said.

What's everyone else generally do?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

He gave a talk at my local DIY oriented bike shop (you can pay them like a mechanic, or pay a low price per hour to use their bays and all their tools) and recommended everyone go home and just start comparing their bike at a wide range of pressures to see what they like. It's been a while but I think he suggested dropping in 2 psi (cold) increments and seeing how the bike felt, and maybe start a litter higher than the manual (not sure on that last part). Of course I still haven't actually done that, but at least it's on my list of things to do.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I tend to run tires a bit above the manufacturer recommended pressures, they feel better to me that way. I am weirdly sensitive to pressure and I can tell nearly instantly when the pressures drop based on how the bike handles. Not because I’m some street Rossi race wizard, it’s just something I’ve always noticed.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So I'm seriously thinking about ergonomics right now, but I'm a bit unsure how much I can change. My levers are directly connected to the mirrors, and there are punchmarks right next to the seam, so I am thinking maybe there is some reason why you shouldn't move them on my bike? I feel like I should put the clutch lever WAY down, which would put the mirror at a very strange angle. Anyone more knowledgeable on this?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The angle of the mirror stalk shouldn't matter, you should be able to adjust the mirror itself up/down independently of it. Set your levers where they need to be to be comfortable for you, and adjust the mirrors afterwards.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Renaissance Robot posted:

The angle of the mirror stalk shouldn't matter, you should be able to adjust the mirror itself up/down independently of it. Set your levers where they need to be to be comfortable for you, and adjust the mirrors afterwards.

I figured I would, but the punch marks made me question wheter there was some other reason you are not supposed to change them. And the fact that the included tools can't service the levers, unlike everything else including the suspension.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Mirrors are useless anyway you should be doing head checks to merge or turn

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Razzled posted:

How do you feel about both?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just bought some wide angle stick-on mirrors so I can get a better view at a glance, but they're so big (or my N650's mirrors are so small) that they take up half the blasted glass :(

Not a replacement for headchecking in any way, mind you.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Razzled posted:

This. I remove them from all my bikes to reduce vision clutter. The dr650 had double take mirrors which I used because they were awesome and worked. Other than that, mirrors are useless.

Shoulder checks 4 lyfe

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Wait what? Mirrors are great for helping to pay attention to what's around you without turning your head every 5 seconds. I couldn't imagine taking them off completely, plus it will be a ticket if you get pulled over most places.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Without mirrors how will I obsessively confirm , every 30 10 seconds, that my strapped down cargo is in place?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Don't take your mirrors off.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh no how will I keep an eye on the blur of my elbows? How will I take focus off the road and my surroundings for seconds trying to parse what a tiny mirror tells me before turning my head to do the same thing?

If you don't have the few milliseconds to safely shoulder check you don't have time to check a mirror and should probably just stay where you are.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
if youre going faster than everyone else there is no reason to check at all hth

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

500excf type r posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AjGXn249Fc0

mewse
May 2, 2006

500excf type r posted:

Yeah + you'll have the speed to dodge any obstacles that come up in front of you

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That requires the raw gay horsepower of a Ford Mustang

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Coydog posted:

Oh no how will I keep an eye on the blur of my elbows? How will I take focus off the road and my surroundings for seconds trying to parse what a tiny mirror tells me before turning my head to do the same thing?

If you don't have the few milliseconds to safely shoulder check you don't have time to check a mirror and should probably just stay where you are.

Maybe your mirrors are buzzy and small and useless, I've had some bikes like that, but I've had others where the reflection is clear enough. A glance down at a mirror doesn't really take much focus off the road. I use them to help me know what's around, generally.

Any lane change still requires a shoulder check though. I'm not saying mirrors can replace shoulder checks.

Edit: wait, elbows? Your mirrors aren't adjusted properly hth

epswing fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 3, 2020

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I guess that explains why people get rear-ended so often.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If all you can see is your elbows, your mirrors need to be further forwards.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Finger Prince posted:

Kinda blown away right now, usually this forum is full of good advice, but "take your mirrors off" is some of the worst advice I've ever heard put out there

e: also this

epalm posted:

Edit: wait, elbows? Your mirrors are aren't adjusted properly hth

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Save your MSF judgement for someone else. I wasn't saying people should remove their mirrors, just that I do, because most of them suck. I also specified that I used and loved the ones on the Dr that actually worked.

I have enough experience to make my own choices in how I ride safely, and am enough of a safety zealot anyway as to be beyond judgement.

ATGATT and shoulder checks 4 lyfe

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah I need mirrors to accelerate out of danger. What is this nonsense?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Coydog posted:

Save your MSF judgement for someone else. I wasn't saying people should remove their mirrors, just that I do, because most of them suck. I also specified that I used and loved the ones on the Dr that actually worked.

I have enough experience to make my own choices in how I ride safely, and am enough of a safety zealot anyway as to be beyond judgement.

ATGATT and shoulder checks 4 lyfe

Dig up, stupid.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Nobody is saying to use your mirrors instead of looking over your shoulder. You are supposed to use both. Mirrors give you the ability to glance backwards and plan a move or maintain general situational awareness without losing sight of what's ahead of you. I don't know why this needs to be explained.

If your mirrors only show your elbows or vibrate like crazy, get better ones and set them up correctly. They don't have to be big ugly old fart mirrors to be functional, or even expensive; on both my bikes I have $30 3" round bar ends that work just fine.

Coydog posted:

When you're sitting at a stoplight, how many full 180-degree shoulder checks do you make? Be honest.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Knowing you are about to be rear ended at a light means nothing. We have all established there is nothing you can do in this case in discussions here over the years.

I usually check behind me a couple times, mirrors or not, and relax when there is a stopped car behind me.

My bikes, my mods, my choice. IDK who the newbies are here but anyone who has been on CA as long or longer than I knows I'm safety conscious and experienced.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
For a while I had those small round inboard mirrors on my 701 and it sucked, they didn't work for looking what was right behind you (cops???) and I didn't like that feeling at traffic lights. The mirrors I've got now are pretty buzzy but good enough to complete my mental map of what's going on around me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:yikes:

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Any option other than factory mirrors looks weird and unnecessary on a street bike imo.

Maybe there's a point about aftermarketmirrors with turn signals in them. I mean sure before you do the flush mount signals just get the mirrors if you absolutely can not stand turn signals poking out.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 3, 2020

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
The only thing I use my mirrors for (on the bikes they aren’t crashed off of already) is to see if I’m being pulled over yet

Cooldude.gif

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

You should be checking both mirrors fairly regularly to maintain situational awareness - if you're only using them when changing lanes you're missing out on a huge amount of potentially important information about what's going on around you. Also if you have to give them more than the quickest glance to work out what they're showing you, you've got poo poo mirrors and should probably get better ones.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

500excf type r posted:

Coydog posted:

Other than that, mirrors are useless.

Shoulder checks 4 lyfe

But with mirrors I don't have to do the owl thing and turn my head 180 degrees to check if any of the cars I just passed are trying to catch up to me, which could indicate it's an unmarked cop car (or an idiot that thinks his slammed 3-series is faster than a bike from the next stoplight).

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I wouldn’t want to ride a bike with no mirrors. The ones on my street triple were bad enough that i replaced them with some arrow bar ends because I couldn’t stand having very limited situational awareness of what was going on behind me. The bar ends also looked better than the dopey antenna mirrors anyway.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
all my mirrors show me is some dumb idiot that needs a haircut, useless!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

500excf type r posted:

all my mirrors show me is some dumb idiot that needs a haircut, useless!

They should probably put a helmet on IMO

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Helmets just block your peripheral vision and make seeing behind yourself even harder

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

If you're riding 12 o'clock all the time, mirrors just show you the ground. Sorry you all ride like nerds.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jack B Nimble posted:

Without mirrors how will I obsessively confirm , every 30 10 seconds, that my strapped down cargo is in place?

Having had a sidecase fall off once, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

500excf type r posted:

Helmets just block your peripheral vision and make seeing behind yourself even harder

well ya got me there