Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

So I got my first LS motor apart the other day!

:stonklol:

I guess this won’t be your last LS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I don't see any evidence of a head gasket leak, so... some dumbass left it out in the weather?

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Hey nice thermal coating on those exhaust valves

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Darchangel posted:

I don't see any evidence of a head gasket leak, so... some dumbass left it out in the weather?

Intake manifold melted from an engine bay fire, fire department added the water.

Took a week to strip it and remove the pistons. A new motor is hard to find in the UK so I'm rebuilding this one!

I'll do a thread when I'm back home for more than a few days a month.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Uh, how far did this fire get? I know the block looks gnarly, but I'm assuming that was a truck block (iron). The heads are aluminum on most years of the LS family, I'd be concerned about them being badly warped.

I'm guessing it didn't get too bad (as far as engine fires go) since I see a lot of intact wire loom, but.. :ohdear:

(you didn't drag this off of the top floor of the King's Dock carpark, did you? :v:)

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
The fire didn't seem to get far, the bottom of the intake manifold, the manifold gaskets, the rocker cover gaskets were all still good. Even the foam pad that is stuck to the bottom of the intake was untouched. Machine shop has checked the heads and block and are happy with their condition. Plan is to bore it +0.020 and replace the valve seats. New pistons, valves, and the usual bearings, gaskets etc. Its an LS2.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Intake manifold melted from an engine bay fire, fire department added the water.

Took a week to strip it and remove the pistons. A new motor is hard to find in the UK so I'm rebuilding this one!

I'll do a thread when I'm back home for more than a few days a month.

Ah, yeah, that'll do it.

STR posted:

I'm assuming that was a truck block (iron).

Pomp already said it's an LS2, but I was going to say that an aluminum one would be easier for him to find - they get far fewer GM trucks than Holden imports/Vauxhall VXRs over there (and not many of those, either.)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Well then, carry on. Sounds like they got on top of it really quick.

What happened? (I wanna say I kinda remember you mentioning it, but uh, my memory is garbage)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I believe that's an engine Pomp bought for a project repower.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Don't scatter your Prius engine with Nitrous like Hoovie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hac-PvKqKQc

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Couldn't watch with audio, did he know that was gonna happen?

I mean there couldn't be any car nerd out there that would be ignorant of how flimsy the Prius is, right?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I haven't seen the whole video, but it was a prius he bought for 1500 dollars.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

From the sound of it I think he expected it to survive the one second burst he gave it ... or at least to not blow the oil filter, mount, and surrounding area off the side of the block.

("That's the nice thing with a hybrid; when you blow the engine with nitrous you have a bit of battery power to ... oh no.")

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My favorite part was that he decided to blow up the engine on the car three hours before he had to get on an international flight.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Couldn't watch with audio, did he know that was gonna happen?

I mean there couldn't be any car nerd out there that would be ignorant of how flimsy the Prius is, right?

He didn’t seem overly concerned with blowing it up from a financial standpoint but once it grenades he was lamenting that he chose to do this a few hours before a flight. He claims he got less than a second of nitrous before the block cleaved off its oil filter and sent block chunks scattering, and now I’m wondering what kind of shot he sent in there.

Guessing that it was one of those el-cheap-o 75 HP dry shots and some pretty solid detonation setting a con-rod free.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Vanagoon posted:

Don't scatter your Prius engine with Nitrous like Hoovie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hac-PvKqKQc

That video has a terminal case of "gotta get over 10 minutes for monetization, but i only have 10 seconds of content."

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ripoff posted:

He didn’t seem overly concerned with blowing it up from a financial standpoint but once it grenades he was lamenting that he chose to do this a few hours before a flight. He claims he got less than a second of nitrous before the block cleaved off its oil filter and sent block chunks scattering, and now I’m wondering what kind of shot he sent in there.

Guessing that it was one of those el-cheap-o 75 HP dry shots and some pretty solid detonation setting a con-rod free.

Now I want to see the tear down/havoc video.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Probably not the thread for this, but I find it funny that Rolling-coal The Game exists now:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Especially since the guys behind the brand got curb stomped by Utah because they were doing their dumb poo poo right in the Salt Lake Valley, with its smog restrictions.

Edit: Well that's disappointing. The run up to the case sounded like it was going to be more spectacular.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 24, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They actually got a small slap on the wrist from the courts, even after their clever "don't modify your emissions stuff, dudebros" disclaimer.

https://www.standard.net/news/envir...5dae7e1539.html

Godholio posted:

Especially since the guys behind the brand got curb stomped by Utah because they were doing their dumb poo poo right in the Salt Lake Valley, with its smog restrictions.

lol, curb stomped.

they got asked politely to stop doing it, and are still probably going to appeal.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Those are the guys that sent me the wrong shocks for my truck. They build trucks on the show. Nice enough that they took them back though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Assholes like that give diesels a bad name

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Assholes like that give diesels a bad name

VW finished what coal rollers started.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Midjack posted:

VW finished what coal rollers started.

Remember when Volkswagen wanted to prove their diesels weren't dirty by hooking someone on a stationary bike up to the exhaust of an old F250.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Cojawfee posted:

Remember when Volkswagen wanted to prove their diesels weren't dirty by hooking someone on a stationary bike up to the exhaust of an old F250.

I thought they wanted to put people in a room and pipe exhaust gasses in to it. When I read that I was all :thunk: "didn't something like that happen before"?

Fake edit:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jan/29/vw-condemned-for-testing-diesel-fumes-on-humans-and-monkeys

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
:laffo: Jesus Christ

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I thought the bro truck inbreeding simulator was bad, but wtf holy poo poo

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

You people are acting like this is the first time Germans have routed truck exhausts into rooms full of people.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

H2SO4 posted:

That video has a terminal case of "gotta get over 10 minutes for monetization, but i only have 10 seconds of content."

Perfect description for a lot of youtubers. Stevie T. used to be really good with neat guitar videos, now all he does is shill whatever crappy product someone tells him to in a really hamfisted way that tangentially relates to 'music'.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

MrYenko posted:

You people are acting like this is the first time Germans have routed truck exhausts into rooms full of people.

To be fair, the Nazis packed their victims into the back of "gas vans" that routed the exhaust into the cabin.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Geoj posted:

To be fair, the Nazis packed their victims into the back of "gas vans" that routed the exhaust into the cabin.

The easternmost camps used captured Soviet tank engines and carbon monoxide instead of zyklon B.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Little backstory:

I got a $200 John Deere Lawn tractor with no deck from a barely-verbal man who lived in middle of the woods, only stated problems were that it didn't run very good, and had no deck. I brought it home, learned how to set a government , which went well, and everything was hunky-dori

Then, a couple days later, my roommate reported he had driven the tractor over a bump, and couldn't re-start the engine, we both assumed it was the government linkage again, but fiddling produced no results. I re-cleaned the carb, replaced the ignition coil, and hosed around variously with the carb and engine, it continued to not start even with go-juice straight in the intake. I finally took off the valve-cover, hoping I could find an issue dropped or burnt valve, anything evident.

Dang, nothing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's because you setup a constitutional monarchy government, instead of a constitutional republic government.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The previous owner’s work is unimpeachable, but only in the current political climate.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Probably going to need a new set of senators and definitely a fresh access code from John Deeeeeer.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
https://i.imgur.com/mrP1w45.mp4

Please god someone explain this because I sure can't.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lowclock posted:

Return line from the high pressure pump making fuel gurgle out of the open tank?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Plugged vent and they crammed enough fuel in there to bulge the tank and now it’s spewing back out?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
It's coming out at such a velocity and volume and angle that I wanna say anything but a crazy pump couldn't manage that even if it was very carefully set up to do so, but the car also appears to be running.

Are gas tanks even vented by anything but the evap system or gas cap? Can't say I've ever seen it done any other way, and even if that was the case how would you actually get that much gas in there for it to expel that much for that long? Fill your tank with something besides a gas station pump that has no safeties and a tight seal?

I'm mystified and can't stop watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Lowclock posted:

:gizz: