Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Shadow225 posted:

Now I just want a set where every basic is replaced by a dual of some sort.

I just want alara reborn 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I just want a plainswalker with the ability 0:Proliferate

Alaan
May 24, 2005

AceClown posted:

I just want a plainswalker with the ability 0:Proliferate

They haven't printed a plainswalker since Shadowmoor, so good luck!

(also it would be funnier as a -1)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Lightning Bolt is also linear because it encourages a particular playstyle (no 1 or 2-toughness creatures).

Well, ones that don't replace themselves or win the game unanswered, anyway (or both!)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also Cipher was a sweet mechanic that they were loving terrified of and so printed absolutely nothing good for

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Also Cipher was a sweet mechanic that they were loving terrified of and so printed absolutely nothing good for

I liked Hidden Strings, especially with Heroic. Most of the Cipher stuff was pretty bad, though.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
According to my own definition, all mechanics are parasitic because they are literally made by the parasites that have crawled into Maro's ears and infested his brain, like the ceti eels from The Wrath of Khan except that instead of hijacking starships they make bad Standard environments and defend mediocre storylines

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
https://twitter.com/rokudo/status/652724413062754304?s=09

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I built this thing over the past week, and I took it to a 3-0-1 victory at FNM tonight! :woop:

Round 1 was against bant company. There was much "I mage your mage" and other absurdity, but I managed to steal a draw because looking at my next 3 draws I was pretty hosed. Gisela is a house, spell queller is insanely good utility. 1-1-1

Round 2 was against a girl who needed to be told that mana weaving is not acceptable, running some sort of mono-green thing. I dunno. The only spell she ever played was Aerial Volley to kill Gisela. 2-0, tried to give her some pointers after the match since apparently two color decks are beyond her? :confused:

Round 3 was against mono-W humans. I got the queller/displacer/attendant lock on games 1 and 3, game 2 I sat at two lands the entire bloody time. Timely use of essence flux was definitely the key to winning. 2-1

Round 4 was Mono-W Humans 2: Hitler's Revenge. A much more tuned version of the above that I mostly beat because he got to 7+ lands in games 2 & 3. My deck definitely likes it when you only play one spell a turn, especially when I get the reflector/displacer wombo combo running. 2-1

Took first place and got 4 packs plus the FNM promo! :woop: I'm kind of good at deck building! :woop:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Mana Weaving is legal now. The logic is that you should be shuffling your deck to the point of sufficient randomization in all cases, so what order you placed the cards in prior to randomizing them doesn't matter.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Voyager I posted:

Mana Weaving is legal now. The logic is that you should be shuffling your deck to the point of sufficient randomization in all cases, so what order you placed the cards in prior to randomizing them doesn't matter.

So how does that avoid a slow play warning? You're taking an action that expressly cannot have a positive effect, it can either do nothing or be actual cheating if you somehow "forget" to shuffle.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Voyager I posted:

In what world did they say its legal?

You're either doing a non-shuffling action and slowplaying or you're not mana weaving.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Sigma-X posted:

In what world did they say its legal?

You're either doing a non-shuffling action and slowplaying or you're not mana weaving.

It came out in one of the rule updates around the release of BFZ block.

If we want to go down that route then technically pile sorting is also a non-shuffling action (the sequence of cards is entirely deterministic) and people do it on camera between rounds all the loving time.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Spirits is dumb, even my cost consideration substitutions and accidentally showing up with a 14 card sideboard still got me to 4-0.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I beat Bant Spirits with White Weenie. My opponent had to mulligan to six both games and scooped at fifteen life because they were mana screwed both games.

Go me, I guess.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
There are some pretty powerful hosers for Spirits in the format, at the very least. A significant portion of the deck clocks in at 1 toughess and there are no real lords for them in standard, so Aerial Volley and Twin Shot can be absolutely brutal against them.

A resolved Ishkana is also really difficult for them to beat since the tokens will trade with most of their board.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Voyager I posted:

It came out in one of the rule updates around the release of BFZ block.

This mysterious update that you refuse to link or do anything other than state that it exists. 9 months after it supposedly happened, after a prominent player has been banned for mana weaving in the interim.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Jabor posted:

This mysterious update that you refuse to link or do anything other than state that it exists. 9 months after it supposedly happened, after a prominent player has been banned for mana weaving in the interim.

Well, that prominent player was banned for blatant cheating, and also made a stunningly foolish admission online.

But yeah don't ever mana weave unless you want a judge called and a potential DQ.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I can swear I remember it being discussed in an older incarnation of the thread, but digging through the MTG Judge updates I can't find any reference to it so maybe I'm wrong.

In any case mana weaving is hugely tedious given that you can break up clumps or sticky sleeves or whatever with an ordinary pile sort.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Cactrot posted:

Spirits is dumb, even my cost consideration substitutions and accidentally showing up with a 14 card sideboard still got me to 4-0.

Fun times. I kept hearing cactrot announcing spell quellers and reflector mages throughout the night. All the spells were countered and all the creatures were returned to hands

3-1 over here with spirits, rough game vs BW Angels was my loss. Beat the mirror, ur goggles, and gb delirium. Spell Queller will be the new reflector Mage / siege rhino, everyone will be sighing and muttering when you play it

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It was pointed out earlier in the thread, but Displacer is a solid sideboard option for shutting down Spell Queller. If you flicker a Queller with one of your spells under it and nothing on the stack, they need to place both triggers on the stack simultaneously. Since there's nothing for the ETB to target yet (your spell is still in exile until the LTB trigger resolves, but it's only being placed on the stack), the ETB ability fizzles and you just get your spell back. Even more fun is if you do this while the enemy has a spell on the stack; Queller's ETB isn't an optional ability and their spell will be the only legal target, so they'll be forced to target it and exile their own spell while releasing yours.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Voyager I posted:

It was pointed out earlier in the thread, but Displacer is a solid sideboard option for shutting down Spell Queller. If you flicker a Queller with one of your spells under it and nothing on the stack, they need to place both triggers on the stack simultaneously. Since there's nothing for the ETB to target yet (your spell is still in exile until the LTB trigger resolves, but it's only being placed on the stack), the ETB ability fizzles and you just get your spell back. Even more fun is if you do this while the enemy has a spell on the stack; Queller's ETB isn't an optional ability and their spell will be the only legal target, so they'll be forced to target it and exile their own spell while releasing yours.

Yeah but they just quell your displacer :smug:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Cactrot posted:

Yeah but they just quell your displacer :smug:

And even if you sneak it through, they'll just bounce it with Reflector Mage and Quell it on the way back down.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Voyager I posted:

There are some pretty powerful hosers for Spirits in the format, at the very least. A significant portion of the deck clocks in at 1 toughess and there are no real lords for them in standard, so Aerial Volley and Twin Shot can be absolutely brutal against them.

A resolved Ishkana is also really difficult for them to beat since the tokens will trade with most of their board.

Anafenza is our Queen. She's really good actually.

The best card against Spirits is probably Liliana, the Last Hope.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

If I elder deep fried someone's lands, can they tap them in response to the targeting? I haven't played in awhile and I may have missed something important. Also, what would be a cheap alternative to jace, Vryn's prodigy for the near future?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

If I elder deep fried someone's lands, can they tap them in response to the targeting? I haven't played in awhile and I may have missed something important. Also, what would be a cheap alternative to jace, Vryn's prodigy for the near future?
Yes. That's usually what people will do if they actually have an instant speed response, e.g. Murdering the Elder Deep Fried or Summary Dismissal, because you're going to lose access to that mana anyways.

Jace, Vryn's Prodigy is down to like $26. But there aren't any other standard legal looters that cost 2 CMC.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Angry Grimace posted:

Yes. That's usually what people will do if they actually have an instant speed response, e.g. Murdering the Elder Deep Fried or Summary Dismissal, because you're going to lose access to that mana anyways.

Jace, Vryn's Prodigy is down to like $26. But there aren't any other standard legal looters that cost 2 CMC.

Wharf Infiltrator. Dies to Liliana though, and weak against Hangerback.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

It will service me. I probably won't have most of the stuff for the list until kaladesh happens though, which is why I was asking. And I thought that's what would happen. Deep fried is good for mind games.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Spirits own. I went 4-0 with Hoogland's list and a few tweaks.

I almost lost to a dude casting a Void Winnower and using Mirrorpool to make a second one but I ripped off a top deck Planar Outburst and awakened a land to win two turns later.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Hoogland's list doesn't run Reflector, which seems like a missed opportunity. But between Stasis Snare, Reflector and Queller, that seems fairly chunky at three, right?

I can't imagine playing UW without Reflector, though. That's why my first run at the deck had Declaration in Stone over Stasis Snare.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Soul Glo posted:

Hoogland's list doesn't run Reflector, which seems like a missed opportunity. But between Stasis Snare, Reflector and Queller, that seems fairly chunky at three, right?

I can't imagine playing UW without Reflector, though. That's why my first run at the deck had Declaration in Stone over Stasis Snare.

He stated in a deck tech that he wants the deck to run at instant speed as much as possible. EoT turn 2 flash in rattlechains and then forever play the deck at instant speed seems great. Also basically the whole deck flies so it doesn't need mage to help push through ground games.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Fingers McLongDong posted:

He stated in a deck tech that he wants the deck to run at instant speed as much as possible. EoT turn 2 flash in rattlechains and then forever play the deck at instant speed seems great. Also basically the whole deck flies so it doesn't need mage to help push through ground games.

That's fair, and I'm sure he knows more about than me. Reflector just owns is all.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Soul Glo posted:

There is no reason for it. Everything flies and if you can either Rattlechains EoT turn 2 or Clash of Wills their T2 play you're in good shape

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Ugh, I wanted to watch the open but the second I heard CVM's high pitched lispy voice I had to tap out.

Why do they have him on commentary? Boswell doesn't even know what he's talking about half the time too, literally the worst line up SCG puts out there.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

I may be getting this very wrong but I don't think you'd be able to use that floated mana to murder the EDF.

You cast the EDF and announce you're tapping your opponents lands, they float 4 mana in response then the EDF hits the battlefield, after that the opponent wouldn't get a priority until the next phase (unless you took another action) and the mana would have emptied from the pool by then.

Unless you flash it in during your opponents main phase I guess.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

AceClown posted:

...after that the opponent wouldn't get a priority until the next phase (unless you took another action) and the mana would have emptied from the pool by then.

All players must pass priority on an empty stack to advance to the next step or phase. They would have an opportunity to use any mana in their pool before the pool was emptied.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
Haven't played in a long time and I saw that they changed the way rotation works - is now a good time to hop back into standard, or is a bunch of it about to rotate out?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

Reflector Mage isn't that good unless you're playing Collected Company. It's annoying, but a random 2/3 isn't nearly as useful in combat as another spirit or a piece of hard removal would be, in my opinion.

Full Fathoms Five posted:

Haven't played in a long time and I saw that they changed the way rotation works - is now a good time to hop back into standard, or is a bunch of it about to rotate out?

Magic Origins (the last "core set") and Dragons of Tarkir rotate out in late September. I would say its not a great time to jump in unless you want to play a deck like UW Spirits or GB Delirium that doesn't have many pieces rotating. Part of the problem is that the most prolific deck in terms of play seems to be Collected Company decks (Collected Company being a Dragons of Tarkir card that lets you put 2 creatures into play off the top six cards of your deck) and since Collected Company is going to rotate, its probably not a great time to buy in to it. Then again, Collected Company is also a Modern staple.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 30, 2016

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

Rotation happens in early October. If you want to play standard just avoid using cards from Magic Origins and Dragons of Tarkir since that's what is going out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

good news: reflector mage is rotating out
bad news: spell queller replaces it enough to make sure nothing fun happens

• Locked thread