Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

el oso posted:

Is Persona 5 good enough to have to explain to my gf why I'm playing animes for 100 hours over the next three months?

How much do you hate it when powerful people get away with bad things and how much would you enjoy living out a fantasy where you get to not only expose them but make them confess their crimes with their own mouths?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also I dunno if you thought you were joking or not but the game is seriously 100 hours long. Well, I think I finished it in 99 or so, and I wasn't going out of my way to complete anything.

Leaving aside the anime, if you're playing it in a balanced way and using the TV for other things too, it's gonna take months.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also I dunno if you thought you were joking or not but the game is seriously 100 hours long. Well, I think I finished it in 99 or so, and I wasn't going out of my way to complete anything.

Leaving aside the anime, if you're playing it in a balanced way and using the TV for other things too, it's gonna take months.

Yeah, it was 150+ for me, from mid september to december.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

is P5 a game where you can 'do everything' in one playthrough, or realistically, at all?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It depends on what you mean by "Do Everything".

If you use a guide you can probably max all your stats and Confidants in one run, but the timing is pretty tight. I didn't use a guide and I was missing a few by the end

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Not really no, as some things won't unlock till a second play through. That said I borrowed it from a friend out of fear that my lack of care for anime would make the game unbearable and didn't want to buy it. I borrowed it in May and still have it, working on a third playthrough to get a platinum trophy.

And just show her Morgana or something. Everyone loves Morgana when he isn't telling you to go to bed.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I got really close to maxing out all my Social Links in my P4 run but so far 5 has left me so overwhelmed with options that I think I won't get that far. It's a shame too, because this time even the Social Links that aren't your party members will give you more gameplay options.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
It's possible with a guide, but even without one you'll get 90% of the way there just attempting to make the most of your time.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Schremp Howard posted:

And just show her Morgana or something. Everyone loves Morgana when he isn't telling you to go to bed.
https://twitter.com/OhPoorPup/status/857131811717222401

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

ketchup vs catsup posted:

is P5 a game where you can 'do everything' in one playthrough, or realistically, at all?

100%ing the persona compendium and a bonus boss both require new game +. Everything else can be done in one playthrough but becomes significantly easier on a second.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am waiting to do a New Game+ in the hopes that their "Golden" equivalent will be a DLC I can just load my current save into

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Sorry, Persona 5 Golden is a +Vita launch title exclusive.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So, what exactly is Catherine: Full Body? Like, it seems like it's just a current gen port of the first game, but with more story and puzzle stuff?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

veni veni veni posted:

So, what exactly is Catherine: Full Body? Like, it seems like it's just a current gen port of the first game, but with more story and puzzle stuff?

Yes. And online versus.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yes. And online versus.

Oh, that's awesome.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yes. And online versus.

:tviv:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey is the DLC for the new South Park game good? Is it worth the money? I’m buying it for my brother for Xmas and want to make sure he has enough content

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So I caved and bought Horizon: Zero Dawn and I'm enjoying it but I'm still kinda struggling.

I feel like I'm doing very little damage now. I'm trying to get to Meridian now, and keep getting owned by Tramplers and Glinthawks. That and I'm perpetually out of metal shards. Trying to hold onto one of everything for any potential quests isn't helping, I know.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

So I caved and bought Horizon: Zero Dawn and I'm enjoying it but I'm still kinda struggling.

I feel like I'm doing very little damage now. I'm trying to get to Meridian now, and keep getting owned by Tramplers and Glinthawks. That and I'm perpetually out of metal shards. Trying to hold onto one of everything for any potential quests isn't helping, I know.
All I can say is make sure most of your arrows are doing the right elemental damage and/or hitting vulnerable external components, not just their armor.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What difficulty are you playing on?

Hitting weak spots ans using elemental status effects is a big part of the game. So if you're not doing very much damage, a lot of your arrows are probably hitting armor, which isn't very effective.

Also, don't be afraid to use your spear. It can do an decent amount of damage and also knock off armor plates.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Until you get the blast sling I didn't really find anything better than lighting things on fire. almost all the robot are vulnerable to it and it doesn't matter where you hit to light things on fire, and when 15 monsters from the surrounding countryside all decide to join in a miserable clusterfuck then you don't really have time to do anything but spray a couple fire arrows and then roll around like a deer from Everything until they burn to death

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

RareAcumen posted:

Look through your skill chart and find concentration and the one that lets you notch multiple arrows.

Shoot the tramplers in the horns, and shoots the glinthawks in the chest (if you do it right on the hawks, they will explode in a blueish white cloud, and freeze.)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh and also get a ropecaster, since it's the most powerful utility in the whole game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I played 3 hours of Nier Automata last night

I got killed 2 times in the prologue before I switched to Normal.

Other than that, what a wonderful game. I also like the simplicity of the combat which is still very reaction heavy.

Also holyshit fully customizable controls Ive never seen this in my life

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Digirat posted:

Until you get the blast sling I didn't really find anything better than lighting things on fire. almost all the robot are vulnerable to it and it doesn't matter where you hit to light things on fire, and when 15 monsters from the surrounding countryside all decide to join in a miserable clusterfuck then you don't really have time to do anything but spray a couple fire arrows and then roll around like a deer from Everything until they burn to death

Tearblast arrows too. Blow that armor off. Plus they make a cool noise.

Check the vendors. You should at least be able to grab a bow that lets you use hardpoint arrows at this point, which do like double damage.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Really, unless you're playing on Hard/Very Hard it should not be troubling to take care of most machines. I hated concentration, didn't get a ropescaster until around 90% of the game and thought the slingshots and trapsters were pretty useless or at least very situational.

You starter bow with normal arrows and fire arrows is a great tool; it does not make a lick of sense, but almost every single machine loses it's poo poo when it's on fire. Get the secondary bow with Ice and Electric arrows ASAP. Don't rush head first into a herd; you're the predator, you're a prowler, you're the stalker. Examine the surroundings, scan your foes' weak points, eliminate the sentries undetected. When you're clear, pick the appropriate ammo - Fire for canisters, Electric for batteries, Ice for coolers - and make one, charged, sure shot on an unsuspecting prey. These weak points explode, and, if you're lucky, the nearby enemies will be hit by the blastwave and be severely damaged. Your first target will be downed, the perfect opportunity for a critical strike, most likely eliminating it. If you're quick enough, there might be time to hit another foe's weakness. If you're one-on-one, feel free to take them on, target the other weak spots(Remember that a charged arrow only makes it more accurate, not more damaging), dodge, set them on fire. If there are more, scramble, hide, it's easy and they'll slowly head back to their spots, unaware and open for another strike.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

WaltherFeng posted:

I played 3 hours of Nier Automata last night

I got killed 2 times in the prologue before I switched to Normal.

Other than that, what a wonderful game. I also like the simplicity of the combat which is still very reaction heavy.

Also holyshit fully customizable controls Ive never seen this in my life

Yeah, the combat is definitely simple at first glance, but there are hidden techniques everywhere. I hosed with the controls so I can't tell you the exact buttons (jump + pod fire?), but there's a move where you jump and use your pod to fling into enemies, and there are uppercut attacks that trigger right after jumping, or perfect parry, or whathaveyou. It definitely builds complexity out of simple foundations.

I was getting cramps with standard controls so I changed dodge to O and action/pick up to R1 and that fixed a lot. I think I now have the muscle memory to use healing items etched into my brain.

It's the game that keeps on giving, and definitely my favorite from this year.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I thought healing items were used automatically but then I died with a bunch of them in inventory. Whats the best way to use them

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

WaltherFeng posted:

I thought healing items were used automatically but then I died with a bunch of them in inventory. Whats the best way to use them
We’re talking about Nier A right? There’s a program you can install that automatically uses items.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

We’re talking about Nier A right? There’s a program you can install that automatically uses items.

Yeah, either install the program or memorize lightning fast usage of D-pad Down + Action

kater
Nov 16, 2010

You need to go pick up the auto-use program when the intro ends.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I am just now starting FF XV and I actually like it. I have mainly been driving around the world and doing side quests, and I am in the middle of Chapter 3. I know I have a long way to go, but it’s a lot better than I imagined. The combat is fun even if the story is definitely disjointed and awkward.

Is the exploration and combat like this in FF XII?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I mustve accidentally unequipped it

Also bought my first large sword and man I wish I had bought it before going to the desert.

I switched attacking and dodging to shoulder buttons to have full control of the camera. Feels pretty good

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I remember that being more like a crpg with a lot of emphasis on setting up your party's ai routines

also there's no car :v:

WaltherFeng posted:

I mustve accidentally unequipped it

I think it just unequips itself after the intro?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

the truth posted:

I am just now starting FF XV and I actually like it. I have mainly been driving around the world and doing side quests, and I am in the middle of Chapter 3. I know I have a long way to go, but it’s a lot better than I imagined. The combat is fun even if the story is definitely disjointed and awkward.

Exploration is much better in FFXII imo and you are actively fighting and finding loot as you do it

The combat is seamless but its more like old school MMO with melee dudes autoattacking and mages throwing spells

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 25, 2017

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

the truth posted:

Combat in the two games is almost wholly dissimilar apart from the fact that battles occur seamlessly within the active dimension (i.e. there is no battle screen). If you have your gambits set up correctly in XII you can go for hours without touching anything but the left joystick.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Merry Christmas ps4 goons may you all get many games for Christmas

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

fridge corn posted:

Merry Christmas ps4 goons may you all get many games for Christmas
I’ve never in my life gotten a video game for Christmas.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I received a PSN gift card. Is there anything good on the January sale? Doesn't really seem like it.

I might pick up the Day of the Tentacle remake and Grim Fandango.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

the truth posted:

No both combat and exploring is insanely boring in 12