Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Someone on reddit said they upgraded their Mac Mini, and someone said they also added an SSD and "maxed the RAM". I thought RAM was soldered onto a mac mini?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I upgraded the drive and RAM on a 2009 Mini when I had to use it at my old job for iOS work. Company paid for the parts, I performed the surgery in the boardroom. Great success. 4GB RAM running off a spinning platter did not like Xcode one bit and I was like "guys I can't work with this".

I believe they started soldering things a generation or two later.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The 2012 mini is the last one that had swappable memory.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah the 2012 is a piece of piss to upgrade. The RAM can be done in a matter of seconds, and despite what the guide tells you, the HDD can be swapped out for an SSD in about 15 (the ifixitguide has you taking out waaaay too many parts, luckily I read the comments first and skipped most of it).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Upgrading the RAM and SSD on the older pre-unibody Macbook Pro was so easy that even Apple showed you how to do it on their site.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And then "how thin is it" became the only metric that mattered and now literally everything has no upgradable parts.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Non-touchbar Retina MacBook Pros 2016/7 can still get their SSDs upgraded but good luck finding a third party willing to create something in Apple's proprietary format, and NVMe / PCIe to boot..

I'd also like to think that some of the people working with Apple at that "Pro WorkFlow Team" making the new Mac Pro are also screaming at them to make a loving better laptop.

Then when they have a prototype they take it to Jonathan Ive who immediately spends fifteen minutes shaking his head and going 'tut, tut' and 'tsk tsk' and we get rose gold flat slab 2-core Intel GPU piece of shits again.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 20, 2018

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Dear posters, can you recommend me a hard drive for backing up my 3TB iMac? I guess Time Machine is the way to go, but I’ve never used it yet - up until now I’ve just manually moved things over to a small external HD.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

Non-touchbar Retina MacBook Pros 2016/7 can still get their SSDs upgraded but good luck finding a third party willing to create something in Apple's proprietary format, and NVMe / PCIe to boot..

Do they have the controllers on them or are they just raw flash memory with the controller elsewhere like the iMac Pro?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Xabi posted:

Dear posters, can you recommend me a hard drive for backing up my 3TB iMac? I guess Time Machine is the way to go, but I’ve never used it yet - up until now I’ve just manually moved things over to a small external HD.

I recently bought a 4TB Western Digital drive, 2.5" USB 3.0, it was only $60 or $70 at Best Buy. Smaller than 3.5" drives and no power cord.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

^^^ Must've been a sale, don't see any 4TB drives on BB's site less than $96 now.

Xabi posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-External-Desktop-Photography-STEL4000100/dp/B01JP2ACP6/

4TB for $99 and even acts as a hub. I have a USB SD card reader I use with mine to transfer right off the card to the drive.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 20, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bob Morales posted:

I recently bought a 4TB Western Digital drive, 2.5" USB 3.0, it was only $60 or $70 at Best Buy. Smaller than 3.5" drives and no power cord.

Yeah, Best Buy tend to have good deals on 4TB and 8TB Western Digital drives quite often. I'd definitely rather pay the difference between a WD and Seagate drive any day of the week based on my own experiences, but ymmv.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Is it still true that Apple will let you return a laptop if a new model is released within thirty days? I need a laptop by the 10th for a trip I'm going on, but the thought of buying a laptop that will be obsolete within a month is really loving painful, especially since there seems to be a pretty strong expectation of core count increases.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Apples return policy if 14 days for any reason. You may be able to push it to 30 but that’s up to the stores discretion I’m guessing.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/04/20/apple-to-replace-swollen-13-inch-macbook-pro-without-touch-bar-batteries

Function Key 13-inch Retina MacBook Pros (2016+2017) have issues with batteries swelling out.

Well, some of them.

At this point Apple should just start handing out batteries out of big bargain bins.

Apple's own dedicated web page to see if your laptop is one of the affected machines is here:

https://www.apple.com/support/13inch-macbookpro-battery-replacement/

Good news is that it HAS to be a free, full Top Case replacement. That means you get a new top case, keyboard, trackpad, and battery.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 21, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe they should start designing their chassis to accommodate battery swell.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Binary Badger posted:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/04/20/apple-to-replace-swollen-13-inch-macbook-pro-without-touch-bar-batteries

Function Key 13-inch Retina MacBook Pros (2016+2017) have issues with batteries swelling out.

Well, some of them.

At this point Apple should just start handing out batteries out of big bargain bins.

Apple's own dedicated web page to see if your laptop is one of the affected machines is here:

https://www.apple.com/support/13inch-macbookpro-battery-replacement/

Good news is that it HAS to be a free, full Top Case replacement. That means you get a new top case, keyboard, trackpad, and battery.

How many of these free expensive repair programs will it take to stop Jonny Ive

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Do they have the controllers on them or are they just raw flash memory with the controller elsewhere like the iMac Pro?

On the 2016 non-Touchbar 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro, iFixit pulled the lid off that SSD module and found SanDisk chips next to a proprietary Apple SSD controller. There's no reason to believe the 2017 non-Touchbar is any different.

The Milkman posted:

How many of these free expensive repair programs will it take to stop Jonny Ive

I get the feeling it's his fault Apple glues the batteries to the backside of the top case assemblies, but it's more the fault of whomever Apple is outsourcing its batteries from for the swelling.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

xzzy posted:

Maybe they should start designing their chassis to accommodate battery swell.

Hey, maybe they can add a new feature for reading DVDs and Blu-Rays, it might just add the necessary thickness to accommodate the swell! :colbert:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

lol dvds

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
‘Don’t try and second guess Apple’ etc etc but I’m very close to pulling the trigger on a 3.8ghz 27” iMac. With the impending iMac update are the new intel chips going to be a staggering change as 99% of my heavy lifting is audio editing and Lightroom rather than 3D, VR etc

Am slightly worried the new iMac will lose user upgradeable RAM, making the whole enterprise ridiculously expensive. On a 2017 model I can add 32gb RAM for about £350. The Apple tax on that done officially is nearly double.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Nigel Tufnel posted:

‘Don’t try and second guess Apple’ etc etc but I’m very close to pulling the trigger on a 3.8ghz 27” iMac. With the impending iMac update are the new intel chips going to be a staggering change as 99% of my heavy lifting is audio editing and Lightroom rather than 3D, VR etc

Am slightly worried the new iMac will lose user upgradeable RAM, making the whole enterprise ridiculously expensive. On a 2017 model I can add 32gb RAM for about £350. The Apple tax on that done officially is nearly double.

The extra cores in Coffee Lake do seem worth it for Lightroom, so I’d wait. The 2017s will remain in the Apple refurb store if the user-replaceable RAM is make or break for you.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

xzzy posted:

And then "how thin is it" became the only metric that mattered and now literally everything has no upgradable parts.

Not gonna lie, I did appreciate the general lighter feel of the 15" TB. It's less than half a pound but it's noticeable.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

:siren: It's official - the Apple Airport Extreme is dead :siren:

https://www.imore.com/rip-airport

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-airport-time-capsule-routers-discontinued-2018-4

https://www.macworld.com/article/3269361/network-router/apple-discontinues-the-airport-time-capsule-airport-extreme-and-airport-express.html

Apple's still gonna sell off whatever's in stock, though. Doesn't even look like they're discounting.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The expresses are handy for AirPlay-connecting old speakers.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I'm waiting til my Time Capsule dies to upgrade to Ubiquiti gear + a NAS. A fun project, it's not going to be easy on my wallet though.

It's a shame; AEBS and Time Capsule were fine devices, and more reliable than any router I'd owned previously.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I'll probably hook mine up to a Microtik hEX or an EdgeRouter X just to see if it makes my tiny Internet Of Crap any more efficient.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

I'm waiting til my Time Capsule dies to upgrade to Ubiquiti gear + a NAS. A fun project, it's not going to be easy on my wallet though.

It's a shame; AEBS and Time Capsule were fine devices, and more reliable than any router I'd owned previously.

You’d probably be better with some mesh devices like Eero or Plume. Use either a mini ITX with pfSense or a Netgate as your edge device.

My parents set up using six plume units scattered throughout their house and they get great coverage. I got them an Netgate SG-1000 as their edge device with OpenVPN configured so I can hook into their home network if they need technical assistance.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

You’d probably be better with some mesh devices like Eero or Plume. Use either a mini ITX with pfSense or a Netgate as your edge device.

My parents set up using six plume units scattered throughout their house and they get great coverage. I got them an Netgate SG-1000 as their edge device with OpenVPN configured so I can hook into their home network if they need technical assistance.

I don't need a mesh network for my 2br condo. God knows I can't afford a house in this city when avg prices are > $1m. EdgeRouter X and a single AP fit my needs perfectly. NAS... I might get one of those Synology DS series. Can even run Sonarr, Radarr, Plex Media Server off of them.

P.S. Why bother with mini ITX when NUC exists?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Quick video card question: Do all the generations of cheesegrater Mac Pro towers have the same PCI bus to connect video cards? I'd like to upgrade the card in my 5,1 to something nice and swap the old Radeon HD 7950 into an old 1,1 tower I use as a media center. Is this possible?

While I'm asking, I could use some video card recommendations for the 5,1. I do a little bit of video editing but I'd mostly just like to see my audio metering plugins refresh more smoothly.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

Quick video card question: Do all the generations of cheesegrater Mac Pro towers have the same PCI bus to connect video cards? I'd like to upgrade the card in my 5,1 to something nice and swap the old Radeon HD 7950 into an old 1,1 tower I use as a media center. Is this possible?

While I'm asking, I could use some video card recommendations for the 5,1. I do a little bit of video editing but I'd mostly just like to see my audio metering plugins refresh more smoothly.

5,1 should be able to take any modern card. I've seen lots of them with 1080ti cards running just fine.

I have a 5,1 with a 650ti I installed a few months back. Be aware that unless you get the card flashed, you will lose your boot screen and can't see anything until the OS loads the drivers.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Mister Speaker posted:

A 1,1 will be on a slower PCI-e speed, but it should theoretically work depending on the latest version of MacOS your 1,1 can run. I'm guessing it's Leopard/Snow Leopard so I'd double check just to be sure. The MacRumors forum is a fantastic resource.

With the 5,1 nVidia is a good choice if you want raw power and you can run Titans and 1080Tis, though it's advisable to do a bit of PSU cable splicing as their power draws can force the Mac Pro into a safety shut down. They also require on nVidia's slightly janky web drivers which means you definitely need the ability to remote in to your MP after MacOS updates.

AMD RX570s and 580s work natively and avoid those problems and under some loads they're faster than the nVidia equivalents (that's totally wiped out if you're booting into Windows, mind). Either way, as already said you're not getting boot screens or screens in recovery environments unless your cards are EFI flashed which is practically impossible with AMD cards and a gamble with nVidia cards.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any thing Apple can do that would make the faithful in this thread jump ship?
We have:
a) non fixable, non upgradeable Macbook pros (and Macbooks)
b) non fixable, non upgradable iMac Pros (and probably iMacs soon enough) for over 10 grand if you build like that
c) horrible problems with Macbook Pros (keyboard mostly), batteries, soldering

Isn't this the point where people start looking elsewhere? Apple is no longer a computer company, they make appliances.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

redeyes posted:

Is there any thing Apple can do that would make the faithful in this thread jump ship?
We have:
b) non fixable, non upgradable iMac Pros (and probably iMacs soon enough) for over 10 grand if you build like that

Isn't this the point where people start looking elsewhere? Apple is no longer a computer company, they make appliances.

Computers have always been appliances to most people. Apple just made them status symbols.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even as appliances they make better stuff than anyone else.

Sure I could get a yoga with better specs at half the price but windows on a laptop is garbage. The integration you get with macos means you get a machine that "just works" and it comes from a company that actually respects its users.

Yes Apple makes missteps and some of them are pretty unforgivable, but outside their ecosystem it's even worse.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure a yoga is the best comparison PC but the point remains. As prices go up and repairability and overall engineering goes down, what point will the faithful stop being so.

quote:

The integration you get with macos means you get a machine that "just works" and it comes from a company that actually respects its users.

Yes Apple makes missteps and some of them are pretty unforgivable, but outside their ecosystem it's even worse.

So I suppose we are not at this point yet.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
You try teaching kids how to edit video on a windows computer. I dare you. AFAIK you’re stuck with resolve, deprecated windows movie maker, avid, and premiere pro. They have to worry about audio and video codecs, timeline frame rate and audio settings, and a whole mess of redundant settings screens with different terminology at every turn.

None of them hold a candle to the speed, smoothness and intuitiveness of FCPX and iMovie on comparable hardware. Even though I hate iMovie, it runs like a dream on a four year old MacBook Air somehow.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I mean lol, every mac user is an aspiring youtube star? I get it.. but there are other video editing programs available on Windows.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

redeyes posted:

We have:

I'm keeping my eye on PC component prices ahead of the new Mac Pro. If it's a dud then it's a Windows build that replaces my 2009 Mac Pro.

My 2014 MBP should be good for another 4+ years given its battery health is still showing as 93%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The 2014 MBP is a good machine. Milk it until it dies. I don't have a clue what a Mac user might like in the PC market. The Surface book seems cool but MS has problems making good drivers for their surface stuff. If it were me I'd get a Lenovo P50/P51 but this is a large laptop that is not very much like a MBP form factor. Maybe the X1 Carbon isn't bad.. i dunno.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 28, 2018