Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

and it's so much better for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was sold on Kassandra right from the opening when that one idiot punches her in the face and she gets the most incredible,"Oh son, you done hosed up baaaaaad :getin:" look on her face.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Bayek's main issue as a protagonist is that he doesn't actually do any of the protagonisting. It's not a great exaggeration to say that the entire plot of Origins is literally communicated in two cutscenes after interstitial chapters with Aya who makes everything happen offscreen. It's kind of a bizarre way to show the "origins" of the assassins when it's mostly just a trivial thing that occurs after the main story is almost over.

This is my main issue with the 'post-Syndicate' AC games - it's great that the core gameplay got a shakeup (even if that quickly got old), it's that they completely gave up on delivering a coherent main plotline. Presumably this is because the people building each region of the game are doing it in parallel with each other, so you just get regional quest chains that tell a small story but only have the broadest links to each other because that's what the developers had to work with.

e: \/ okay I supposed I'm comparing with the bar that Brotherhood and Black Flag set.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 19, 2024

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I've played through almost all AC games and the pre-reboot ones were about as good at coherent plotlines as Odyssey.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Yeah if anything I'd like less plot and more Misthios murdering malakas for fun and profit.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
I'm playing Valhalla now and I'm really enjoying it, but I'm also fine with skipping stuff in games like this. Origins suffered from not having enough to do, Odyssey I think went a bit too far with how many things there were to do that were necessary, and Valhalla just turns that all up to 11. None of it is badly done at all but I'd say there's at least one activity of the dozens that you might not like, if the sheer number of activities overall isn't exhausting enough on its own.

I think it's probably about the same for mandatory stuff, but it feels like the story's moving quicker so far or maybe the side content is just better integrated into the story than it was in Origins/Odyssey. If you liked the best parts of the previous 2 games it's all here, you should give it a try, but maybe don't try to 100% it unless you want a lot of it.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I really liked AC 2 for having a great protagonist, setting, and improving hugely on 1's promise. The later games were good but more of the same gameplay loop so I skipped almost all of them. AC 1 I still have very fond memories of because it had a lot of fresh stuff at the time and its relentless focus on assassinations was cool and good.

Origins was very good and my 2nd high point since it rebooted the series into Witcher 3 style side questing and incidental story telling showing the setting off which works very well with these period games. Bayek, like Ezio, I liked a lot and the setting is very well done. The combat reboot isn't revolutionary but anything that required more player involvement was a step up over what had come before.

I bought Odyssey and look forward to playing it some day but was kinda burned out on AC again after Origins, much as 1, 2 and Brotherhood satiated my need for the original series though I should have given Revelations a run - but they were releasing these yearly at the time which was way too much way too frequently.

Running through it all is the horrible modern day plot that is only intriguing in AC1 and is already fraying by the Ezio trilogy but somehow persists through the whole series.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Has anyone had weird things going on with their Library categories lately?

I had a category for non-Steam games/apps as the top category, and it's completely gone now. Restarting Steam didn't bring it back.
It's not a big deal, as it only had a handful of entries, so it's easy to recreate, but it's annoying if this starts to become a thing.

Running non-beta client and always shutting down the client using Steam/Exit menu item, which apparently is currently the correct way of doing it, and not exiting using the tray icon Exit Steam functionality.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

origins, odyssey and valhalla suck and xp/gear systems shouldn’t have become the norm for assassins creed, i hate that a level 20 spartan warrior is a thing i have to think about in an assassins creed game

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Xp/gear systems should never have left the roguelike genre and DnD adaptations and we will forever suffer the consequences of this sin.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Fart of Presto posted:

I had a category for non-Steam games/apps as the top category, and it's completely gone now. Restarting Steam didn't bring it back.
It's not a big deal, as it only had a handful of entries, so it's easy to recreate, but it's annoying if this starts to become a thing.

Running non-beta client and always shutting down the client using Steam/Exit menu item, which apparently is currently the correct way of doing it, and not exiting using the tray icon Exit Steam functionality.

Someone else had trouble with their non-Steam games disappearing a few pages back I think.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

mmkay posted:

I had a few instances of finishing a battle, trying to turn around and taking literally 2-3 steps and getting into another one. I think though that it's specific to some particular cities? It didn't seem as bad in Kamurucho.

Edit: Also since you started 2 and from your previous posts I gather you liked Majima more - there's a short side-game/story where you play as him in Kiwami 2. It's like 3 or 4 chapters long, each one unlocking after 2-3 main-game chapters, so try to pick it up (there may be a popup in the main game to remind you).

I think you're confusing me with someone else, I like Kiryu just fine. Majima was interesting in 0, but by 1 he's just this annoying Joker knock-off who won't stop pestering you. He's a complete psychopath too, during the first boss fight he beats one of his own guys with a baseball bat for not laughing. I assume he was like that in the original games as well, and with 0 they just took the opportunity to give him a more interesting and nuanced backstory.

e: don't get me wrong it was still funny seeing him pop out of manholes, dressed as a cop, breakdancing, etc.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Started on Yakuza Kiwami 2. Faces look great in this one, hard to believe they were released so close together, but I guess it's a new engine. The controls being subtly different is tripping me up, but I'll get used to it.

Another observation is that the claw machine is loving impossible this time around. I might run out of yen before I get the plushie for this quest.

There's a patch that limits the frame rate to 30 for that mini game because physics get weird at higher frame rates.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I extracted the files to my main Yakuza Kiwami 2 directory and now the game is stuck on the 'Press any key' screen

e: might be an unrelated problem since it keeps happening even now that I've removed the files again

e2: I googled it and someone said pressing shift + tab would work, and it did. Time to try the mod again.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 19, 2024

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Phlegmish posted:

I think you're confusing me with someone else, I like Kiryu just fine. Majima was interesting in 0, but by 1 he's just this annoying Joker knock-off who won't stop pestering you. He's a complete psychopath too, during the first boss fight he beats one of his own guys with a baseball bat for not laughing. I assume he was like that in the original games as well, and with 0 they just took the opportunity to give him a more interesting and nuanced backstory.

e: don't get me wrong it was still funny seeing him pop out of manholes, dressed as a cop, breakdancing, etc.

fun fact, in the original western release of yakuza 1 on ps2, he was voiced by mark hamil

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Don't know if anyone here is playing through Lorelei and the Laser Eyes, but it's really great. Kinda spooky surreal adventure puzzle game.

After like 10 hours I finally got stuck on a puzzle and I'm hoping someone here has gotten far enough and can point me in the right direction without giving it away. Not really spoilery but I'll do it anyway opened up all 4 doors connected to the horse heads and can't figure out what to do with the rotating blocks behind the doors

A poster was talking about having finished it in the Switch thread. Maybe ask there?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thanks RoastBeef, the mod is working perfectly. I got the plushies, but I have to say I think it was mostly due to luck, not the framerate cap. Some have mocked me for being so bad at the claw game, but I say that blowing half my money on a single minigame before doing anything in the main story makes me the ultimate Yakuza player.

Game seems to have exaggerated ragdoll physics during combat, which I assume is due to the unlimited framerate for the PC port. It's pretty funny to see

King Boo
Feb 24, 2008

nihil novi sub sole

Fart of Presto posted:

not sure it's related but i noticed i lost all my non-steam games and their artwork the other day. i added them all back at once and set up one custom hero/logo manually (sgdboop wasn't working) and the art returned for all of them. i thought category was server-side cause it follows me around installs so maybe it's that your game shortcuts file is in a similar limbo

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Really weird: The games and apps are present as installed in the Uncategorized category, and when right-clicking, I can add them to the "Not Steam" category, but they aren't placed in the category.
Usually, when a category is empty, it also is removed, but not this one.

Oh well, I guess Steam is just being Steam.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Steam client has been getting some big changes for the Deck lately. There was a particularly large patch a week or so ago. It's possible they're introducing bugs on PC when they do this.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

man, I knew Koei-Tecmo was bad at PC ports but this is bad on a whole new level :psyduck:

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

man, I knew Koei-Tecmo was bad at PC ports but this is bad on a whole new level :psyduck:

thats pretty common with older games especially, as it only downloads the language files of your currently set Steam language.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Odyssey is great because playing through to the end of the starting island either leads you on to the other 95% if the game, or you can quit out and feel like you've had a good time and that's enough, thanks.

Same with Skyrim these days, white hearth barrow and the first dragon, done for another 3 or 4 years, thanks

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Chubby Henparty posted:

Odyssey is great because playing through to the end of the starting island either leads you on to the other 95% if the game, or you can quit out and feel like you've had a good time and that's enough, thanks.

Same with Skyrim these days, white hearth barrow and the first dragon, done for another 3 or 4 years, thanks

on the starter island, you can also climb on the statue's dick

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The secret to claw machines is to not try to pick things up but use the claw to knock them sideways. In real life and Yakuza.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Pwnstar posted:

The secret to claw machines is to not try to pick things up but use the claw to knock them sideways. In real life and Yakuza.
Claw machines are rigged to have weak grip strength most of the time, but they are strong enough to push stuff.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

My favorite part of the cultist storyline in Odyssey was When you find the leader she's all 'yeah we had this idea of a unified Greece and we tried to use Xerxes to do it.' That fell through and I was just done with the whole thing'. They're still going because the left hand doesn't know that the right hand isn't doing jack squat anymore.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

exquisite tea posted:

Bayek's main issue as a protagonist is that he doesn't actually do any of the protagonisting. It's not a great exaggeration to say that the entire plot of Origins is literally communicated in two cutscenes after interstitial chapters with Aya who makes everything happen offscreen. It's kind of a bizarre way to show the "origins" of the assassins when it's mostly just a trivial thing that occurs after the main story is almost over.

It's because originally Aya was going to be the protagonist until one of the lovely executives pitched a fit about it. :ssh:

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Playing Diablo 4 and starting to lose momentum. Currently in Act 4 and I'm interested to see how the story resolves but the gameplay just isn't gripping me that much anymore: maybe I'll just watch the rest on Youtube. Not sure exactly what it is, but maybe it's just stagnated? I'm just running from place to place clobbering stuff that looks different but functions the same. My abilities/build feels pretty finalized with nothing else to strive for, loot isn't changing anything significantly for me, enemies aren't difficult or varied enough to make me have to think, and so on. Or maybe it's just hard to play a long diablo-esque ARPG nowadays for me because of the competition: action roguelikes tap into the thrill of experimenting with builds more quickly and constantly, and soulsy-ARPGs give me more challenging skill-based gameplay. I suppose I could force some sort of self-imposed challenge to keep things interesting, like randomizing my skills or not allowing myself to use certain buttons or something, but at that point, maybe I should just move on.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

FutureCop posted:

Playing Diablo 4 and starting to lose momentum. Currently in Act 4 and I'm interested to see how the story resolves but the gameplay just isn't gripping me that much anymore: maybe I'll just watch the rest on Youtube. Not sure exactly what it is, but maybe it's just stagnated? I'm just running from place to place clobbering stuff that looks different but functions the same. My abilities/build feels pretty finalized with nothing else to strive for, loot isn't changing anything significantly for me, enemies aren't difficult or varied enough to make me have to think, and so on. Or maybe it's just hard to play a long diablo-esque ARPG nowadays for me because of the competition: action roguelikes tap into the thrill of experimenting with builds more quickly and constantly, and soulsy-ARPGs give me more challenging skill-based gameplay. I suppose I could force some sort of self-imposed challenge to keep things interesting, like randomizing my skills or not allowing myself to use certain buttons or something, but at that point, maybe I should just move on.

The common advice for Diablo 4 is just steam roll the main quest and then see if you like the game enough to play the side quests/other stuff

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i'm surprised kiryu would ever ask that question tbh

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

i'm surprised kiryu would ever ask that question tbh

Definitely a lot more accustomed to it by the time he's got a grandkid

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

fez_machine posted:

The common advice for Diablo 4 is just steam roll the main quest and then see if you like the game enough to play the side quests/other stuff

Oh, that's exactly what I've been doing already.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

John Murdoch posted:

It's because originally Aya was going to be the protagonist until one of the lovely executives pitched a fit about it. :ssh:
Yep: https://gamerant.com/assassins-creed-origins-aya-ubisoft-sexism/

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm glad that Ubisoft doesn't make anything of value. It makes it really easy to ignore their games.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FutureCop posted:

As someone who cares more about skill trees than loot in my Diablolikes, yeah, my biggest problem with D4 was that I'd maxed the tree long before I beat the game and was left with just that passive skill board, whatever it's called.

Still miles better than D3's braindead system tho.

E: As for a more actiony ARPG, you could check out No Rest for the Wicked, although it's in EA.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

hang on a minute,

quote:

Odyssey had followed the same suit of Kassandra being the sole protagonist of the game, but the marketing team was, again, worried the game would not sell without a male character option.

https://www.thegamer.com/assassins-creed-odyssey-kassandra-star-report/

Guess my suspicion was correct, Kassandra really was meant to be the original protagonist! No wonder the voice direction on her-as-protag felt stronger.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

marketers are just the worst. loving tomb raider had a sole female protagonist thirty years ago and notably died on arrival as a franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
drat, I had no idea despite ranting earlier about the lack of female protagonists. That poo poo sucks so much, I wish we got Origins with Aya and all the rest, too.