Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

I don't know if it's the same for other apps but Allo will display messages real nicely, and they're readable as all hell.

Hangouts for me displays nothing but the Hangouts icon under the clock. Is there something I need to enable on a per-app basis?

To be clear, this is on the ambient display thing that happens when you lift the device, not on the lockscreen where it shows notifications in bands under the clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

Hangouts for me displays nothing but the Hangouts icon under the clock. Is there something I need to enable on a per-app basis?

To be clear, this is on the ambient display thing that happens when you lift the device, not on the lockscreen where it shows notifications in bands under the clock.

Yes, it shows them on the black background.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Yes, it shows them on the black background.

Wait, does it look like the following picture for everyone?

Mine doesn't display anything except the icons for any app as far as I can tell.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I only get that WHEN the notification comes in. Afterwards it's a tiny icon.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

Mine doesn't display anything except the icons for any app as far as I can tell.

Looks like that but I've only seen it happen with Allo since I don't get DMs on twitter.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Blue Train posted:

This completely blocks all system notifications which is not very good

I've had xda guy on ignore for so long, and often forget he exists.

And the one time he gets quoted in a long time and it's dumb xda poo poo :rolleyes:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I only get that WHEN the notification comes in. Afterwards it's a tiny icon.

That... that's worthless. If they show it when it comes in there's no way for the phone to know I've seen it but if they show the information when I pick up the phone and actively trigger the ambient display then the phone is absolutely certain I'm trying to view the data and that's the time it decides not to show it?

Why have it be different at all? Why not show all of the data all of the time?

It pains me to ask this question but it's never come up in 7 years of having a smartphone, why would I ever be looking at a phone with a blank screen? Obviously someone at Google thinks it's common enough that that should be the only time the user is ever wanting to see a notification but I've never just had my phone in front of my face with the screen off.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LastInLine posted:

It pains me to ask this question but it's never come up in 7 years of having a smartphone, why would I ever be looking at a phone with a blank screen?

Because it just vibrated.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

PerrineClostermann posted:

Because it just vibrated.

But it's in my pocket now, can I look at it later?

Google would say that's something that's never happened ever, why would anyone ever defer looking at their telephone for more than a second. I feel like the withholding of information unless one acts immediately belongs in that Attention Economy satire post.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 24, 2017

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I can see where you're coming from, but if you just tap the power switch (after taking it from your pocket) you get the full lock screen with message details

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

That... that's worthless. If they show it when it comes in there's no way for the phone to know I've seen it but if they show the information when I pick up the phone and actively trigger the ambient display then the phone is absolutely certain I'm trying to view the data and that's the time it decides not to show it?

Why have it be different at all? Why not show all of the data all of the time?

It pains me to ask this question but it's never come up in 7 years of having a smartphone, why would I ever be looking at a phone with a blank screen? Obviously someone at Google thinks it's common enough that that should be the only time the user is ever wanting to see a notification but I've never just had my phone in front of my face with the screen off.

I keep my phone on the desk next to me when I work, that seems to be the case with everyone else in the offices. Sure not everyone works at a desk (hell I work for a bank so I'm aware there are tellers in the branches) but it isn't like "phone out of pocket nearby" is some edge case.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

I can see where you're coming from, but if you just tap the power switch (after taking it from your pocket) you get the full lock screen with message details

I'm not denying that and obviously that's what I've been doing but if I'm going to interact with phone why not just unlock it with a fingerprint?

It doesn't change the fact that the current implementation is all but worthless unless you have the phone out and visible to you at the moment a notification is received and the previous implementation was usable whenever you looked at your phone. Why remove the functionality? Was the other way just too useful?

Of course I'd use my watch if Google hadn't also helpfully removed the ability to glance at notifications on that as well.

FAUXTON posted:

I keep my phone on the desk next to me when I work, that seems to be the case with everyone else in the offices. Sure not everyone works at a desk (hell I work for a bank so I'm aware there are tellers in the branches) but it isn't like "phone out of pocket nearby" is some edge case.

Do those office workers not go home? Or sleep and wish to see at a glance their notifications upon waking? Seems like even the "sitting at a desk at work" guy is not at his desk twice as much time as he is.

I should also mention that I'm at work right now at a desk in an office with my phone out while receiving Hangouts notifications frequently and so far I haven't been fast enough to catch the ambient display on with the text even once out of my last 20 or so opportunities.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 24, 2017

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Yep, with the fingerprint reader, I almost never see my lockscreen anymore.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Even putting your finger on the scanner and waiting that fraction of a second is extra diversion and focus, for those this is aimed at. The goal of this is glancability; the ability to pull a phone into the corner of your eye and check its state without having to think, the same way you'd idly check your watch without even being very conscious of it. There can be a distinct if minor difference in the way 'glancing' vs 'unlocking and then checking' are mentally performed. Very minor, but hey.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

Do those office workers not go home? Or sleep and wish to see at a glance their notifications upon waking? Seems like even the "sitting at a desk at work" guy is not at his desk twice as much time as he is.

Yeah and they set their phones on coffee tables and night stands and armrests at home.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who takes their phone out of their pocket without unlocking via fingerprint?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah and they set their phones on coffee tables and night stands and armrests at home.

I need to check my pocket privilege. I never just set my phone out unless I'm actively using it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I hold my phone like a demitasse, pinky up and everything when I yank it out of my coveralls down in the mines.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I do if I just want a quick glance at a message or other notification, a full unlock doesn't let you do that

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Your phone is on borrowed time. Huawei is a 1 year replacement, Google only covers phones they sold, and I believe it's for the bootloop of death. Get Optus to replace it.

Tell Optus you have the bootloop of death because what you have now is a warning sign of it happening. It's how mine started and how people reported theirs starting on a ton of forums.

Edit:. Does it sometimes crash while loading maps? That's what mine kept doing as well.

Hmm, haven't noticed maps crashing in particular, but I've definitely had the Camera app crash a lot recently. OK I'll try Optus, not sure I'm going to be able to convince them it has the bootloop problem though since the battery thing is only happening sporadically. Thanks.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I reset my Pixel after the 8.0 update and I'm not getting half the background app notifications I was on Developer Preview 4. Battery life is better, particularly standby. Some of you getting those notifications coming out your ears might want to reset too.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I updated my pixel to 7.1.2 and what the hell did they do with the "news feed"? The whole thing has become useless, you can't dismiss stories with a swipe and the whole thing will display an account access error if I try to refresh it. Has this been a common occurrence? Seems like they took something that worked fine and broke it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

shirts and skins posted:

I updated my pixel to 7.1.2 and what the hell did they do with the "news feed"? The whole thing has become useless, you can't dismiss stories with a swipe and the whole thing will display an account access error if I try to refresh it. Has this been a common occurrence? Seems like they took something that worked fine and broke it.

If you mean the Google app, try Force stopping and clearing the cache.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

shirts and skins posted:

Yeah that's the Google app and not the OS but yes, it's trash now. Clearing the cache and if that doesn't work the data should fix it (you won't lose any data but it will reset some preferences).

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
So I picked up the Z2 Force for $15 monthly over the LG G6 for $10.

I previously had a Droid Turbo 2, loved the durability, but I feel like I may have hosed up. I'm not going to lie, I like the hand feel of the G6 a LOT more than the Z2, but the features of the Z2 force keep making me waffle in my decision.

How badly did I gently caress up?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

LastInLine posted:

Readability is something that's pretty important when there's literally not a single word on the screen.

I guess that's not entirely fair, the clock is crisper for what that's worth and yes, the old ambient display really was blurry (no antialiasing) but to claim that it's more readable when there's nothing to read on the screen is disingenuous at best and laugable on its face.

When I have my phone propped up on my desk at work or home, it's easy for me to read messages that pop in on GroupMe, Hangouts, or SMS on ambient display. Yes, they are only there for a moment, yes it only shows the most recent, but some people actually find that useful. I don't like having to unlock my phone for everything that comes in, and seeing if it's something worth responding to with a cursory glance is valuable to me.

Stop being so overly aggressive to anyone that isn't agreeing with you.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Wasabi the J posted:

I previously had a Droid Turbo 2, loved the durability, but I feel like I may have hosed up. I'm not going to lie, I like the hand feel of the G6 a LOT more than the Z2, but the features of the Z2 force keep making me waffle in my decision.

The Z2 Force isn't a BAD phone, it certainly has a better software experience than the G6. It's just not significantly better than last year's version of it and the screen, while crack resistant, scratches really really easily.

Slightly related, I'm actually thinking of selling off the spare Moto Z Droid I have for the unlocked Moto Z Play (2016 model so bigger battery) since I'm not on Verizon anymore. From what I read, the Droid Z would work pretty much OK on t-mobile in a pinch, but everyone just raves about the battery life for the Z play, so it seems like it might be a better choice as an "alternative" phone.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I changed my mind I'm getting an Iphone

Thread title?!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bull3964 posted:

The Z2 Force isn't a BAD phone, it certainly has a better software experience than the G6. It's just not significantly better than last year's version of it and the screen, while crack resistant, scratches really really easily.

Slightly related, I'm actually thinking of selling off the spare Moto Z Droid I have for the unlocked Moto Z Play (2016 model so bigger battery) since I'm not on Verizon anymore. From what I read, the Droid Z would work pretty much OK on t-mobile in a pinch, but everyone just raves about the battery life for the Z play, so it seems like it might be a better choice as an "alternative" phone.

Yeah it's not bad so far, and the circumstances leading up to the purchase play a role in being "forced" to choose.

Any phone we get, we put protection on, but I really value durability, as I am in the military and use/drop my poo poo all the time in not pristine lab environments.

I really liked the hand feel of the G6 more than I thought, feels very solid and easy to grip, which has been my biggest bitch about the Z2 Force. The onscreen buttons and the IPS over AMOLED is the only thing really holding me back. If the battery size of the G6 with it's slightly slower processor means more screen on time, then it's a pretty big boost in my ratings.

I still have time to decide and change my mind.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

If you touch the small icon does it let you view the notification?

Wasabi the J posted:

Lg is poo poo

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Has anyone tried any USB-C to Qi adapters? If I upgrade from my Nexus 5 to Pixel 2 I'm going to miss Qi.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Blue Train posted:

If you touch the small icon does it let you view the notification?

Lg is poo poo

Y? I've seen you be the most vocal detractor of LG in the thread, but aside from the boot looping what else is bad?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

Y? I've seen you be the most vocal detractor of LG in the thread, but aside from the boot looping what else is bad?

It's happened to like five phones over a couple years, their poo poo is garbage

G4, LG V10, LG G5, V20, Nexus 5X

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I had 2 G4's just stop contacting cell towers as well.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Kind of weird that it's just over a month to release, and no one has seen the new Pixels in the flesh. Like "accidentally" being photographed, or "accidentally" left some where.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ALSO lg is the one who had the smart tvs that would phone home with the contents of any usb devices attached and with your viewing habits iirc

According to Yorkshire, UK–based hacker "DoctorBeet," the internet-enabled sets try to phone home to LG every time a viewer changes the channel, giving the chaebol the ability to track exactly which channels are being watched, minute by minute.

Using network packet-sniffing tools, DoctorBeet discovered that his set was also transmitting the names of media files he played off USB storage, which he observes could potentially be embarrassing for those in the habit of watching less savory downloaded fare.

Even worse, these transmissions are completely unencrypted, giving anyone with the ability to mount a man-in-the-middle attack complete knowledge of whether the TV is in use at any given time and what the owner might be watching on it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Oh dang thanks. That's all very disappointing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blue Train posted:

To be totally fair, it's looking lately (especially with the 5X/6P bootloop fix hacks) like the bootloop might be endemic to the snapdragon 8XX series processors with them physically damaging the high-power of the big.LITTLE pairing at high temperatures, and it just happens to LG more because they suck more at thermal mitigation than other manufacturers.

Blue Train posted:

ALSO lg is the one who had the smart tvs that would phone home with the contents of any usb devices attached and with your viewing habits iirc

According to Yorkshire, UK–based hacker "DoctorBeet," the internet-enabled sets try to phone home to LG every time a viewer changes the channel, giving the chaebol the ability to track exactly which channels are being watched, minute by minute.

Using network packet-sniffing tools, DoctorBeet discovered that his set was also transmitting the names of media files he played off USB storage, which he observes could potentially be embarrassing for those in the habit of watching less savory downloaded fare.

Even worse, these transmissions are completely unencrypted, giving anyone with the ability to mount a man-in-the-middle attack complete knowledge of whether the TV is in use at any given time and what the owner might be watching on it.

At the very least here, LG will have absolutely zero part with the software of the Pixel 2. They're acting in the same role as Foxconn does with Apple; a contracted hardware manufacturer, nothing more.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 24, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

MikeJF posted:

At the very least here, LG will have absolutely zero part with the software of the Pixel 2. They're acting in the same role as Foxconn does with Apple; a contracted hardware manufacturer, nothing more.

That's good re: the phoning home but unfortunately their hardware dies pretty reliably as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blue Train posted:

And don't forget the G2X which never actually worked.