Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

I read the title to the video but didn't watch because I don't really need simple things explained to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I can safely say that that has literally never crossed my mind even momentarily.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

C-3PO is a standard issue protocol droid.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
He's a person and his name is Threepio.

Colin Threepio

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Next they'll have a video on why Obi-Wan didn't recognize R2D2.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

It's possible he was intended to be older--ancient, even, like Yoda is eventually established to be. There must be some reason Tarkin just plain assumes he "must be dead by now."

But that was before Anakin and Vader were the same person. Going back and making Episode I, Obi-Wan had to be a young man but not too young to start training Anakin at the end of the movie, and Anakin had to be of an age so that he would be "a young Jedi" (as Ben describes Darth Vader in ANH) by Episode III, which had to take place at the most nineteen or so years before Episode IV. That necessitated a little bit of fudging of Obi-Wan's age in the originals. Of course in reality the fudging just ended up making Obi-Wan only seven years younger in Episode IV than Alec Guinness actually was, so it's not like there's some insurmountable visual discrepancy.

My point is that even the script described him as looking the way he did for reasons more than just age.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I need a 10 part YouTube documentary explaining why Han Solo says "Well you're gonna die here, convenient" to Luke implying that he can't forsee the future but he can completely own Boba Fett and the Sarlaac simultaneously while blind and hanging by his ankles and holding up a person with a metal rod implying that he's AT LEAST an F8 like Yoda or Mace Windu.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

I need a 10 part YouTube documentary explaining why Han Solo says "Well you're gonna die here, convenient" to Luke implying that he can't forsee the future but he can completely own Boba Fett and the Sarlaac simultaneously while blind and hanging by his ankles and holding up a person with a metal rod implying that he's AT LEAST an F8 like Yoda or Mace Windu.

Boy is your face gonna be red when Luke returns to Tatooine to die in episode IX.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

What about an explanation on where Leia got her Endor dress in ROTJ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL6OPMp4IUY

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

The MSJ posted:

What about an explanation on where Leia got her Endor dress in ROTJ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL6OPMp4IUY

It belonged to the last human lady who was there.

Clothes aren't edible.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cnut the Great posted:

It belonged to the last human lady who was there.

Clothes aren't edible.

That's the only thing I don't like about that short. They should have shown the ewoks in the background enjoying dinner while a pile of Stormtrooper armor sits nearby.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
To the "droids aren't people" crowd: Are Ewoks people?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

The MSJ posted:

That's the only thing I don't like about that short. They should have shown the ewoks in the background enjoying dinner while a pile of Stormtrooper armor sits nearby.

I want a scene of most of the heroes awkwardly declining the Ewoks' polite offers of stormtrooper meat at the victory celebration, while Chewie just shrugs his shoulders and starts chowing down.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Cnut the Great posted:

I want a scene of most of the heroes awkwardly declining the Ewoks' polite offers of stormtrooper meat at the victory celebration, while Chewie just shrugs his shoulders and starts chowing down.

Because Chewbacca is just an animal, right?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Chewie does start attempting to eat a raw space deer and get them all caught in the ewoks' trap. Sure he can fly a spaceship, but I don't think he has the most refined palate (by human standards).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sassassin posted:

Everyone knows that human is the most delicious meat, and once you've sampled it you have The Hunger forever.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

sassassin posted:

He's depicted as a very animalistic person, yes. That's his archetype. He's a dog who flies a spaceship. Always thinking with his stomach and discovering incredible smells. At one point Han literally pets his head in order to soothe him.

I agree, the OT is very problematic and offensive. Have you seen the gay butler robot?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

sassassin posted:

I'd like to think there'd be a taboo against eating intelligent beings, but it isn't strictly speaking cannibalism in his (or the Ewok's) case.

For some reason, though, I think Stormtrooper dishes would just never really quite hit the spot.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cnut the Great posted:

Maybe Luke too. "I kissed my sister, why should I care now?"

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

For some reason, though, I think Stormtrooper dishes would just never really quite hit the spot.

I wish I had thought of this joke.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Cnut the Great posted:

He's depicted as a very animalistic person, yes. That's his archetype. He's a dog who flies a spaceship. Always thinking with his stomach and discovering incredible smells. At one point Han literally pets his head in order to soothe him.

I agree, the OT is very problematic and offensive. Have you seen the gay butler robot?

There's nothing wrong with being gay when you're a robot butler.

Or otherwise.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

sassassin posted:

There's nothing wrong with being gay when you're a robot butler.

Or otherwise.

There's nothing wrong with being a dog who flies a spaceship either, sassassin.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They're good wookies, sassassin.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Does it baffle anyone else that this not one, not two, not three, but seemingly dozens of channels on youtube that just talk about Star Wars lore everyday? That's it. That's all their content. Just "this is how the Sith used to use the toilet" for a minute. And, even more baffling, they have a good subscription and view count?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Covok posted:

Does it baffle anyone else that this not one, not two, not three, but seemingly dozens of channels on youtube that just talk about Star Wars lore everyday? That's it. That's all their content. Just "this is how the Sith used to use the toilet" for a minute. And, even more baffling, they have a good subscription and view count?

It's only baffling until you remember that people ruin everything.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Covok posted:

Eh, most of youtube is for children. Don't get too worked up over what 10-year-old like to watch.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Imagine how dumb TV gets sometimes. Now imagine that TV had infinite channels. You now understand everything about Youtube.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Covok posted:

Better get the thousand page Star Wars thread to weigh in on this.

uftheory
May 30, 2003

Is Chewbecca's life debt to Han or back history of being a slave anywhere in the movies? I've always just though of him as Han's hired muscle/copilot/mechanic.

As a kid I always wonder why they programmed C3PO to be so scared all the time and why R2D2 wasn't given a voice synthesizer since they obviously had the technology. This thread has been like a visit to the Star Wars holocaust museum for me and made me realize I wasn't respecting their struggle.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

gently caress. I need an ambulance now. Just gently caress.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Tender Bender posted:

*extremely JivJov voice* Actually, I believe you'll find it only has 984 pages.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Zoran posted:

*extremely JivJov voice* Actually, I believe you'll find it only has 984 pages.

it's just jivjov. No capital letters

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
well, gently caress me

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Zoran posted:

well, gently caress me

Oh, no thanks. I'm married.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

uftheory posted:

Is Chewbecca's life debt to Han or back history of being a slave anywhere in the movies? I've always just though of him as Han's hired muscle/copilot/mechanic.

As a kid I always wonder why they programmed C3PO to be so scared all the time and why R2D2 wasn't given a voice synthesizer since they obviously had the technology. This thread has been like a visit to the Star Wars holocaust museum for me and made me realize I wasn't respecting their struggle.

No, Chewbacca is just a coworker/long term friend in the films unless the christmas special said otherwise. Its, in my opinion, better that way because then theyre equals instead of some weird lone ranger poo poo.

The struggle isnt over, friend, droid slavery still exists even in the new republic.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

jivjov posted:

it's just jivjov. No capital letters

You know what, jivjov? You're all right.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

You know what, jivjov? You're all right.

No, actually occasionally even he is incorrect about something.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Holy poo poo jivjov made a good post.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Serf posted:

Holy poo poo jivjov made a good post.

I mean, the entire Classic Japanese Cinema thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Aww thanks everyone.

P.S. I'm getting back to my cinema thread soon.

• Locked thread