Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I think it's possible to get way too hung up on The Intended Meaning. Genghis Baan is fine - it's interesting when there's another layer to the pun, but it isn't of any particular importance to anything, so I'd rather get something that works in my native language and maybe just have the original pun as a piece of post-chapter trivia.

Besides, it can work both ways. The cats in Monster Hunter just translate to cat companion or something similar in Japan, but in English we get Palico and Spanish gets Amigato, which is loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Genghis Baan is a good translation. It keeps the pun and the name sounds good as well.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I think it's possible to get way too hung up on The Intended Meaning.

This. TONS of subtle meaning is left by the wayside in translations, that's just the nature of translating (and localizing) media from one language to another. Character or attack names aren't any more "important" than any other piece of dialogue, so why is it more important / acceptable to leave those in Japanese with a translator's note explaining the subtleties and not do the same with all dialogue? Arguably regular dialogue is more important than names. The the discussion from a few pages back about Ace's dialogue to Blackbeard is loaded with subtleties and ambiguity, to the point where it could be interpreted many different ways - and HAS been interpreted many different ways in different translations. Why not leave that in Japanese and include TL notes? It's far more important to the story than whether a cat guy has a goofy name.

The reason they don't, of course, is because then the entire thing would just be in Japanese but with notes explaining everything. But that's my point - the only way to get the ~true~ meaning is to read the original Japanese. A localization of a manga is there for people who CAN'T do that, and should try to capture the tone and spirit of the original as best as possible. It doesn't need to try and get the ~perfect true meaning~ of the text, it just needs to get the major points across.

"Genghis Baan" works fine because the character's name is a pun based on sheep and khan. Zoro's attacks don't get translated likely because "food name puns" don't work as well in English when you’re trying to set a serious tone for a scene, but also because “oni giri” is a pun in and of itself. “Oni” are demons or devils in Japanese folklore, and “Giri” roughly means “duty” or “honor”. On first reading for a Japanese reader it probably sounds like he’s saying some cool poo poo about the duty of a demon as he cuts a motherfucker in half, but then you realize “oh lmao rice ball”. I think if they were to try and translate this, you would maybe drop the food pun and try to find another pun that sounds like something threatening and serious at first, but upon closer inspection turns out to be goofy. Alternatively, could probably just drop the pun part all together and just make him say “Devil’s Duty” or something, but western culture kind of fetishizes Japanese attack names as being strange and mysterious so I understand why they’re left alone. Thinking about it, it kinda comes off as an old-timey racist “ooh, it’s a strange power from the orient!” thing, but that’s probably reading too much into it.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

Thinking about it, it kinda comes off as an old-timey racist “ooh, it’s a strange power from the orient!” thing, but that’s probably reading too much into it.
Zoro's just like a samurai so I think keeping his attack names in Japanese suits the character perfectly well. I would only accept it as oriental fetishism if other characters had their moves in untranslated Japanese too

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Cat Machine posted:

Zoro's just like a samurai so I think keeping his attack names in Japanese suits the character perfectly well. I would only accept it as oriental fetishism if other characters had their moves in untranslated Japanese too

Oh yeah definitely, and to clarify: I didn't mean with One Piece specifically, I just meant anime and western culture in general.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also to be fair we have at least one character whose attacks don't get translated because they're in French and English. Luffy's attacks get half translated because they're all weapon/gun words after his fruit name, and other characters are mix and match where appropriate, Zoro has such a strong Japanese theming to his character and weaponry that I think it's perfectly reasonable for him to have Japanese attacks and sometimes English, in a way this matches Sanji haveing French attacks and sometimes English. I guess using Spanish words might also work here but that's extra translation work just for the Zorro reference, and still might have problems with pun translation.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

please dont refer to me by my first name XxX or my last name XxX but instead use my middle name PussySlayer420

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also to be fair we have at least one character whose attacks don't get translated because they're in French and English. Luffy's attacks get half translated because they're all weapon/gun words after his fruit name, and other characters are mix and match where appropriate, Zoro has such a strong Japanese theming to his character and weaponry that I think it's perfectly reasonable for him to have Japanese attacks and sometimes English, in a way this matches Sanji haveing French attacks and sometimes English. I guess using Spanish words might also work here but that's extra translation work just for the Zorro reference, and still might have problems with pun translation.

Robin already has dibs on Spanish

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

RatHat posted:

So One Piece is weird in that while most characters use the Japanese naming order(Last-First) like Monkey D. Luffy, Roronora Zoro, Zinsmoke Sanji ect. some seem to use the western naming order(because they're named after a real person usually) like Edward Newgate, Trafalgar D. Water Law, Eustass Kidd, ect. but are actually still the Japanese order(As weird as it sounds it seems like Whitebeard's first name is in fact Newgate, not Edward).
I've never truly recovered from finding out that Charlotte is actually Big Mom's family name.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Eiba posted:

Never followed the official releases. I've been exposed to enough Japanese media that it sounds natural to me. And that's kind of my point, I was talking about how I personally was reacting to these things, but I wasn't going to say it was a bad route for the official translation to go. I'm used to Shichibukai and think it sounds neat too, but it's totally reasonable for it to be translated differently in the official release.

I just think, on top of all that, Cat Viper sounds weird and bad.

I mean, it's a pun though. You can't translate those. Give up.

You can come up with a different pun and force it into the space of the old pun, but it just never works the way the original does. Oda came up with a scenario with a pun in mind. You can't just swap that out and have the same effect. That viper thing is a perfect example, it's just such a bad joke. It's not funny to me it's just weird. They're doing their best, and that's probably the effort that should be put into an official release, but personally I'm way more comfortable with a translators note letting me go, "heh, this must be what was supposed to be funny" rather than having the feeling of "oh god, I wonder what was here originally that lead to this monstrosity" that a translated pun leaves me with.

Again, this my personal preference and why I feel (some) scanlations cater to my sensibilities a bit better than the official release. I get why the official release does what it does, and it's not wrong to do so.
It's fine to have a personal preference, I'm not saying you have to think one is better than the other or you're wrong, I'm just giving my opinions in return and speaking foremost as a translator and in favor of translations that are as clear and retain as much of the meaning of the original as possible without being cluttered up with Japanese terms and translator notes.

Thinking Nekomamushi sounds smooth and cool but Cat Viper sounds weird and bad is a valid opinion if you're talking about aesthetics. I disagree but I won't say it's wrong. I just hold to my original argument that the latter is the better name because they mean the exact same thing but the former has no impact on or meaning to an English reader while the latter does. The same goes for the Pekomamushi thing. I would rather laugh or not laugh at a bad joke rather than be told that there was a joke there in the original language by the person who is supposed to be making this understood in the language I do speak.

The idea that a pun can't be translated at all though is flat out wrong and the official translation has proved that on countless occasions because Stephen Paul happens to be wonderful at puns. I feel genuine pity for people who had to deal with Kingbaum just saying "ju/tree" at the end of his sentences rather than getting lovingly written and clever tree puns. For further examples, see Basically All Of Pokemon or the Ace Attorney series.

One more example and an almost perfect example of Scanlation vs Localization is the character Nossan in a show called Kyoryuger. He makes Dad Jokes constantly, it's his thing. But while English speakers think of dad jokes as Bad Puns usually based on words having multiple meanings or homophones, Japanese Dad Jokes are Bad Puns entirely based on two words sounding similar or being homophones. But those words are not going to sound the same in English nine times out of ten so the joke is going to be lost. One subbing group translated them literally and often just left in the two similar Japanese words and a note explaining what they mean. Another subbing group took the intended meaning and joke and rewrote the line to be an English pun. If all you want is word for word what was said, maybe you'd prefer the first group to the latter, but to me the latter group is more professional since they're actually translating and keeping the character a jokester rather than being literal and adding notes to clue the watchers in to why it would be funny if you knew the language... That you're watching subtitles for because you specifically do not.

Sorry for so many words on Translations, but it's really interesting to me!

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 9, 2020

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Since we're chapterless and talking about translation stuff, I'll bring up another really good decision from the translation of Deer and the Cauldron. In Chinese there's this kind of curse word thing you can say 他媽的 which would be literally translated as "His mother's" which sounds real loving dumb. So in the translation they just go with "Tamardy" which is a phonetic transliteration of the curse and gets the point across that someone is vaguely cursing at someone else because what else would they be doing.

Louis Cha posted:

The fight between Thin Dhuta and the Beggar became quite a spectacle, with the little fat man ricocheting off the ceiling and bringing down an avalanche of broken tiles and dust. Finally Thin Dhuta came hurtling forwards, head down and with all his might, and when the Beggar stepped nimbly aside, he looked set to collide with the wall and spill his brains. At the very last moment, Fat Dhuta grabbed hold of one of the gambling den attendants who crouched huddled up in a corner of the room, and hurled him between the wall and the oncoming human missile. The impact was such that Thin Dhuta's head went clean through the poor man's chest and embedded itself in the wall, creating a large dent in the masonry.
'What the tamardy is going on ?' cried Thin Dhuta, staggering to his feet and wiping the waiter's blood and guts from his own puffy face.

Is it dumb? Sure. Is it hilarious? Yes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Cat Viper sounds weird that but that’s literally what Nekomamushi means, it’s as weird in Japanese as it is in English.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if seven of nine heaves a sigh then what do you get

sigh-borg

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Genghis Baan is extra funny to me because it's highly likely we're never going to see that character again so Oda just had that pun in his back pocket and needed to get it out there

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

if seven of nine heaves a sigh then what do you get

sigh-borg

FLCL is one of my favorite series of all time but I never understood this until googling it just now and Holy poo poo

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

RatHat posted:

Cat Viper sounds weird that but that’s literally what Nekomamushi means, it’s as weird in Japanese as it is in English.

Oh, well then in the context of Luffy assuming it was a naming convention for minks like a complete dumbass then it was definitely the right call to translate it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah I feel like that's been the piece missing from this conversation: their names are supposed to sound weird. There's no solid naming theme among the Minks but Dogstorm and Cat Viper stand out because they're super dumb.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah I feel like that's been the piece missing from this conversation: their names are supposed to sound weird. There's no solid naming theme among the Minks but Dogstorm and Cat Viper stand out because they're super dumb awesome.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Is the next chapter out next week or the week after?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Is the next chapter out next week or the week after?

We should get the usual scanlation stuff next week, around Friday the 17th, with official chapter out a couple of days later.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Official chapter is out on the 19th yeah.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
All this talk about translating mink names to preserve dumb jokes and nobody is saying a thing about how you're supposed to localize Wanda.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ZiegeDame posted:

All this talk about translating mink names to preserve dumb jokes and nobody is saying a thing about how you're supposed to localize Wanda.

It's perfect as it is; Wanda is a real name and Wan is the onomatopoeia for a dog barking.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Julias posted:

It's perfect as it is; Wanda is a real name and Wan is the onomatopoeia for a dog barking.

Oh God I never picked up on this.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Julias posted:

What about Pedro?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

RatHat posted:

What about Pedro?
Sometimes a name is just a name. I don't think there's any joke to Pedro, just like how Carrot is pretty cut and dry.

I'm a big fan of Shishilian. It's Sicilian, but Shishi also means Lion. Why is it Sicilian? Who knows. I don't think it has anything to do with Lian->Lion because Lee-An and Lai-On are entirely different in Japanese.

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah I feel like that's been the piece missing from this conversation: their names are supposed to sound weird. There's no solid naming theme among the Minks but Dogstorm and Cat Viper stand out because they're super dumb.
Yeah, this too. I keep going on about how it's important that their names are bombastic but they're also totally different from all the other minks that have relatively normal names since only theirs are two words just mashed together.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Nakama are the doki doki of your kokoro.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Julias posted:

But only in Japanese.

Honestly my only problem with Cat Viper is that it's two words, and also Catsnake would match the syllables of Dogstorm better.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
The names being all over the place makes sense to me; the whole One Piece world is made up of islands with wildly varying cultures and varying amounts of isolation, with some clear evidence of cross-cultural pollination, as well as clear precedent for people to flat out change their names, take on aliases or adopt nicknames as it suits them. Zou is probably particularly silly about it since it doesn't have a fixed location.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ZiegeDame posted:

But only in Japanese.

Honestly my only problem with Cat Viper is that it's two words, and also Catsnake would match the syllables of Dogstorm better.

"Mamushi" specifically refers to a pit viper

also uh assuming this bit from the One Piece wiki is true (there's a reference but it just says "Jump Festa 2016") this makes a lot of sense now

quote:

Brook's voice actor, Chō, made-up a song about "going off to meet the Cat Viper." It impressed Oda enough that he decided to integrate Cat Viper into the manga, as well as the song itself

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

ZiegeDame posted:

Woofda

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Speaking of all this translation talk...

There's a bit of drama involving Stephen, the official translator for One Piece.

http://www.arlongpark.net/showthread.php?t=54556&page=7&p=4025192&viewfull=1#post4025192

I haven't read the entire thing but man, I really feel for Stephen, having to deal with a buncha idiots who are hella eager to jump at every perceived mistake they find.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Barkley.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Speaking of all this translation talk...

There's a bit of drama involving Stephen, the official translator for One Piece.

http://www.arlongpark.net/showthread.php?t=54556&page=7&p=4025192&viewfull=1#post4025192

I haven't read the entire thing but man, I really feel for Stephen, having to deal with a buncha idiots who are hella eager to jump at every perceived mistake they find.
Yeah, I saw this and I saw Greg Werner (huge OP fan, helped with figure and vivre card production) picking apart the same fan translator's "corrections" to Paul's work and it is honestly pathetic. Both that people with such amateur level Japanese are trying to "get" a professional who's worked on the series for years, and that their fans would treat their word as law despite the complete lack of evidence and credentials just because "lol Zolo."

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The real-life drama around the manga the past couple weeks is almost as good as what's happening inside it, imo! Really love the irony of the current story being all about a Japanese guy translating these inscrutable runes so that everyone else can understand a grand tale while irl MangaStream and Jaminis are wiped out and leaving us to pore over bad scans and correction tweets. This is our void century!!

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

That sure is one hell of a sea lion.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Kill all anime and Manga fans imo

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

hmm, stephen should post here instead. i PM'd him like 10 years ago on arlongpark and he said he had an account here and even posted once or something but never returned. then i got banned there.... these are trying times!!

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I think I'm gonna stick with the guy who has direct access to Oda's editor over some internet rando.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Lpzie posted:

hmm, stephen should post here instead. i PM'd him like 10 years ago on arlongpark and he said he had an account here and even posted once or something but never returned. then i got banned there.... these are trying times!!
It'd be cool to read his thoughts in written form like how the MHA translator does it. But there's always the One Piece Podcast, he's on there almost every week and it's super interesting to hear him talk about the process.