Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Have a gross situation. Tonight after sprinkling cayenne on nachos I noticed little black bugs on the plate, I believe they drugstore beetles. I didn't actually see any in the cayenne so they may have been on the outside. The dried chives were completely infested, inside a closed container. Tossed those. Do I need to throw out all dried herbs? Do I need to toss spices too? Hard to imagine these bugs would live in cayenne, paprika, etc. Hard to imagine how they got inside closed spice containers. That's a lot of spices going in the trash. Tomorrow we are cleaning and vacuuming everything inside that kitchen. Is anything safe from these things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'd put as much as possible into glass jars with airtight lids. Spices, flour, rice, dry ingredients, everything. That way if any of your ingredients got infested they will be contained and not spread to your other food. I switched to glass jars once I had a rat infestation, and it worked out well a couple times when I had bug infestations in some grains (I can't remember which) and the bugs had a merry time pigging out and eventually going extinct within the jar without being able to get out. Mason jars are cheap, come in a variety of sizes and are available almost everywhere

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Teeter posted:

I've tried desperately but can't find it, maybe someone else has a link. There was a Reddit post a month or so ago about a DIY build of their pizza oven, then like a week later had an update about how it caught fire overnight and nearly burned their house down.

So uhhhhh, don't do what that guy did.

e: this isn't meant to scare you or anything, I'm pretty sure that guy just did something retarded in the process.

Mine will be built far from the actual house. I have plenty of room that it does not need to be near any other structures.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Steve Yun posted:

I'd put as much as possible into glass jars with airtight lids. Spices, flour, rice, dry ingredients, everything. That way if any of your ingredients got infested they will be contained and not spread to your other food. I switched to glass jars once I had a rat infestation, and it worked out well a couple times when I had bug infestations in some grains (I can't remember which) and the bugs had a merry time pigging out and eventually going extinct within the jar without being able to get out. Mason jars are cheap, come in a variety of sizes and are available almost everywhere

Ok thanks. I already keep things like flour in jars or in the freezer so that's safe. Mostly the herbs and spices that worry me. I was going to toss all of it but my wife says I'm overreacting. They were pretty obvious in the chives. I think this is recent. A neighbor gave us a box of dog treats, unopened, and they had these bugs so I threw them out. My guess is some escaped because I've never seen them before. Bugs in food gross me out.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

wormil posted:

Ok thanks. I already keep things like flour in jars or in the freezer so that's safe. Mostly the herbs and spices that worry me. I was going to toss all of it but my wife says I'm overreacting. They were pretty obvious in the chives. I think this is recent. A neighbor gave us a box of dog treats, unopened, and they had these bugs so I threw them out. My guess is some escaped because I've never seen them before. Bugs in food gross me out.

When I have food that's obviously gone off, I also put it in a plastic bag (I saved a ton of disposable grocery bags before they got banned) before I throw it in the trash so that mold, bugs, etc can't get out, nor will they attract any more pests, stink up the place, etc.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
This morning we scoured the kitchen, cleaned and vacuumed every cupboard and pantry, and went through every possible food source (even medicines) and found bugs in the cayenne pepper (which surprised me), and in the paper towels rolls. The herbs and spices we dumped one by one on a white piece of paper and inspected for bugs, larvae, or webs. Everything was sealed in gallon freezer bags and we'll recheck in one month for signs of infestation. It was a compromise that should work out. What a pain in the rear end.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
That's so crazy, because I was at a friend's place cooking last weekend, and she had what I'm almost certain were drugstore beetles hanging out in her cayenne pepper too. Thanks for sharing your story. Would have had no idea what the hell they were otherwise.

Edit: And like a clean apartment in a brand new building too, so it's like "how the hell did they get in"? There must have been a bad batch of something along the way. These trials of humanity...

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 28, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

wormil posted:

in the paper towels rolls.

That's a new one

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
According to wikipedia, they will eat just about anything including books, medicines, poisons like strychnine, and apparently cayenne pepper. No idea how they got into plastic containers unless maybe I didn't tighten the lid all the way. Maybe the larvae can squirm through the threads.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
That's kind of terrifying

My big rice jars aren't 100% airtight so maybe I'll fix that

edit: VVVVV listen to this guy

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 28, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
spices are cheap enough i'm surprised you didnt just dump all that poo poo and start over

like i restocked all my stuff last week for under 15 bucks from the bulk bins at the store

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

BraveUlysses posted:

spices are cheap enough i'm surprised you didnt just dump all that poo poo and start over

like i restocked all my stuff last week for under 15 bucks from the bulk bins at the store
Compromise, as mentioned. ;)

What are bulk bins? There is nothing like that at any grocery (white, Asian, or Hispanic) around here. There is one place that might have something like that, I go there to buy dried chilies, but they are expensive. I didn't count but I must have a few dozen spices. It fills three plus rows in a 32" wide drawer. Checking them as we did took no more time, probably less, than going to the store and buying new ones which is what I wanted to do in the first place. If I were single I would have tossed them since half of them I don't use anyway but I guess if I were single there would only be half as many. But - compromise.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Wormil, you're in Raleigh, NC. Sprouts just opened up a store there in March

Go to the bulk spices area there, fill a bunch of their provided baggies with spices, write down the spice #, and go through checkout. You should be able to get a boatload of spices for about 1/4 what you'd pay for bottled spices at most groceries.

Get a dozen or two dozen 4 ounce or 8 ounce mason jars, for about $1-$1.25 a jar, put your spices in those. They're 100% airtight unlike most other spice jars

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 29, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
kroger (QFC and Fred Meyer) and Central Market and WinCo all have bulk bin areas, winco being the best.

they even have kraft style macaroni powder in a bulk bin (not that i buy it but its kinda neat that they sell it)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

BraveUlysses posted:

kroger (QFC and Fred Meyer) and Central Market and WinCo all have bulk bin areas, winco being the best.

they even have kraft style macaroni powder in a bulk bin (not that i buy it but its kinda neat that they sell it)

Winco is only in five states, NC not being one of them.
Washington
Idaho
Nevada
California
Oregon

The bulk section is seriously amazing, though - I've found so many unexpected ingredients there, especially for bread baking.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Winco is only in five states, NC not being one of them.
Washington
Idaho
Nevada
California
Oregon

The bulk section is seriously amazing, though - I've found so many unexpected ingredients there, especially for bread baking.

That is not true.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Winco rules

Keep spices in Vegemite jars.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

hakimashou posted:

That is not true.

Oh, huh, I guess they've expanded. It was true for a long time, but I haven't checked recently. Their FAQ used to say "As a fun fact, our name also contains the first letter of every state we call home."

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Steve Yun posted:

Wormil, you're in Raleigh, NC. Sprouts just opened up a store there in March

I actually live south of Raleigh and they are about 30 minutes away, 60 round trip, but I would like to check it out sometime.

BraveUlysses posted:

We don't have FM, CM, or WinCo; and Krogers is kind of lovely here. I've stopped shopping there because the chicken spoils in about 24 hours, onions last about 3 days, and clouds of fruit flies inhabit the fresh produce section. Note, it wasn't always like that. I don't know if they got a new manager or are without a manager or what, but the place has gone in the toilet lately. The best grocer nearby is Lowes Foods, which is good, but not convenient. Next best is Walmart and Food Lion after that, if it tells you anything.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Winco rules

Keep spices in Vegemite jars.

but that means having to eat vegemite

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

wormil posted:

I actually live south of Raleigh and they are about 30 minutes away, 60 round trip, but I would like to check it out sometime.

We don't have FM, CM, or WinCo; and Krogers is kind of lovely here. I've stopped shopping there because the chicken spoils in about 24 hours, onions last about 3 days, and clouds of fruit flies inhabit the fresh produce section. Note, it wasn't always like that. I don't know if they got a new manager or are without a manager or what, but the place has gone in the toilet lately. The best grocer nearby is Lowes Foods, which is good, but not convenient. Next best is Walmart and Food Lion after that, if it tells you anything.

No Harris Teeter?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

I wish you hadn't told me this

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I keep a squeeze bottle of sliced serranos in vinegar in my fridge for squirting on stuff. If I just keep refilling the vinegar as needed will this last indefinitely as long as the chilies stay submerged?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Not quite "indefinitely", but you'll get a bunch of re-uses out of it.

Texas Pete already sells peppers intended to be used in just this way:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

spankmeister posted:

but that means having to eat vegemite

win/win

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
I have a question. I just picked up a nice carbon steel wok, eager to use it. Whats the difference really in using one to stir fry over sauteejng sautéing in a pan? Can i make spaghetti puttanesca in this too?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

nwiniwn posted:

No Harris Teeter?

Closed years ago. I think the next closest one is in Cameron Village.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I braised some beef shank and onions in broth and red wine tonight, and aside from needing to add some more color with a couple sides, the meal was loving delicious. One problem I had though was that there was a good amount of fat left in the remaining sauce (gravy?) and there was a weird effect where the savory onion gravy was surrounded by clear grease. Is that normal? Am I supposed to remove all the fat, or incorporate it somehow? Stirring vigorously didn't really accomplish that.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Squashy Nipples posted:

Not quite "indefinitely", but you'll get a bunch of re-uses out of it.

Texas Pete already sells peppers intended to be used in just this way:

Can I just refill these with white vinegar when the tiny amount of vinegar they give you runs out? I've been using the peppers to season roasts when the sauce ran out.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Pollyanna posted:

I braised some beef shank and onions in broth and red wine tonight, and aside from needing to add some more color with a couple sides, the meal was loving delicious. One problem I had though was that there was a good amount of fat left in the remaining sauce (gravy?) and there was a weird effect where the savory onion gravy was surrounded by clear grease. Is that normal? Am I supposed to remove all the fat, or incorporate it somehow? Stirring vigorously didn't really accomplish that.
You don't want to incorporate all of it. That's what fat separators are for, or you can put it in the fridge and take it off in a chunk the next morning, or you can dick around trying to scoop it off hot for half an hour and making a mess.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
If fat's pooled up on the surface of the gravy, you can kind of wick it up with a paper towel. It's messy and sloppy, but you don't need to be perfect.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Get a fat separator, never have greasy gravy again. Bonus, this way you can use the fat to make a roux to thicken the rest of the drippings.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I never thought I needed a fat separator until I got one. Great item.

moller posted:

Can I just refill these with white vinegar when the tiny amount of vinegar they give you runs out? I've been using the peppers to season roasts when the sauce ran out.

Sure you can! Just give it at least a few days to pickle and get some of the heat into the vinegar. The heat is trapped inside the peppers, so it takes a bit to leach out.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

In what weird universe is Winco the best? they're trashy AF here.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:(

i like the prices and that they're employee-owned

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

GrAviTy84 posted:

All Grocery Store chains are like that. What's bad in one area will be ritzy in another and vice versa. Around here it used to be Marsh and Kroger that would trade places depending on where you were, and then Marsh closed.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

Yeah, they can be trashy. But as noted above, they're employee owned. Also, they have great produce (outside of the Asian markets, it's the best produce in Reno, usually even better than Whole Foods) and a fantastic bulk section.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Can someone direct me to the Tea thread, which I assume exists?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

Can someone direct me to the Tea thread, which I assume exists?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437984&perpage=40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I picked some chilies I've been growing on the balcony and now have no idea what to do with them. It's way too much for me to eat in the near future, and there are more coming up:

There are two generic varieties I can't identify exactly (the red ones), as well as the habaneros and jalapenos. I already have a bunch of dry ones so I was thinking maybe freezing or pickling. What would you guys do?

Another thing, my very basic rice cooker always ends up with a layer of dried rice stuck to the bottom, it seems no matter how much I mess with the water ratio. Is this somehow fixable, or is that just how these cheapo cookers are?