Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Morpheus posted:

Talking about Small City, the same guy has a game called Town Center. There's actually a solo mode of it available online here that I've been playing and I must say...I'm just absolutely terrible at it.

Take a look at the leaderboard and try to figure out how the guy got where he was going. After that it's pretty much luck of the draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Machi koro with expansion is legit the only game I walked out off half way through a game.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Tekopo posted:

Machi koro with expansion is legit the only game I walked out off half way through a game.

I was lucky enough that friends liked the game and I sold the game and expansion to them immediately.

What a waste, sigh.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I will apologize again for my enthusiasm on Machi Koro back before it came out in the US. It took me way to many plays to realize how poo poo it was.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

I was forced to sit near a game being played and really, really wanted to do the same, 12 year old playing be damned.

Crackbone posted:

I will apologize again for my enthusiasm on Machi Koro back before it came out in the US. It took me way to many plays to realize how poo poo it was.

The base game really isn't *awful*. It's just not any good.

...well okay, if we're using Splendor as the baseline, yeah, it rates a solid amount below it so I guess it's pretty bad.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

i dunno i've had fun with machi koro the two times i've played it

edit: so i guess i havent played it enough to figure out its poo poo

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I don't get the hate for it either. It's not a top tier game, but it's not offensive in any way whatsoever, and makes a great family/gateway game. It's a million times better than slogging through Catan.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've played it about half a dozen times, but haven't ever stumbled on the (apparently) broken convenience store strategy. Playing like that, it's a fairly fun filler game that combines a decent amount of luck with some light strategy. I wouldn't want to play it twice in one night, though.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't get the hate for it either. It's not a top tier game, but it's not offensive in any way whatsoever, and makes a great family/gateway game. It's a million times better than slogging through Catan.

The one time I played it (with expansion), it took freaking three hours. So yeah, never again.

(I love several hour games that have the depth and complexity to justify that kind of play length, but Machi Koro is almost certainly supposed to be a 30 minute game, not a 180 minute game.)

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Machi Koro is like if we took the bad parts of Settlers and mixed with with a kinda hosed up tableau builder / center market deckbuilder (depending on the expansions/variants). It's not wretched, but I really cannot imagine a situation in which I could choose to play it. If I wanted something out of control and random, I'll just play King of New Tokyo or one of the Coup-likes and it will be over faster.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Machi Koro is absurdly bad, maybe the worst design to get any hype in the last few years. Just thinking about it makes me a little angry.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The main problem I have with Machi Koro is that it has the depth of a 15 minute game, but easily stretches to an hour (or more?).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I've played it quite a bit and never had a game go near an hour. Mostly 2 player, some 3.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Bottom Liner posted:

I've played it quite a bit and never had a game go near an hour. Mostly 2 player, some 3.

The couple times I played was with 4, so I think that's a factor.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

GrandpaPants posted:

The couple times I played was with 4, so I think that's a factor.

I was about to say the same thing. BGG says it's best with four, and that seems crazy to me. I've only played 2 player and I could not keep any meaningful amount of money for any length of time, I can't imagine having 2 more players stealing everything. Also, the added downtime of waiting for the other players adds literally nothing.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Shame to hear about Machi Koro. The artwork looks pretty and pretty artwork tends to catch my eye for most games (it's why I have Dixit and Tokaido).

Otherwise, in my group, we already have a copy of Castles of Mad King Ludwig. Is Suburbia just a reskin, or is it different enough to be worth buying/trying out?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

YF19pilot posted:

Otherwise, in my group, we already have a copy of Castles of Mad King Ludwig. Is Suburbia just a reskin, or is it different enough to be worth buying/trying out?

Suburbia actually came first, so it's not a "reskin" per se, but Castles changed up a few minor mechanics in how the distribution of tiles and market pricing works. YMMV as to whether it's different enough to justify owning both, but certainly would suggest trying it if you enjoy Castles.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Don't know if I should ask here or the kickstarter thread,but the millennium blade Kickstarter is ending soon and in still on the fence on whether to back it. No one in my area has it so I don't have first hand experience with it. It looks like setup and cleanup could take a while and is a table hog, still not sure on the gameplay, then there's the price of it. Can anyone chime in with their experience?

Also I backed Yokohama and I'm now eyeing Guilds of London and I'm afraid they are similar, at least superficially.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's a really good and unique game with tons of variable setup and replayability. It also works well at all player counts. Definitely back it.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

We played with 6, I think. Which is supposedly supported but dear god, never ever do it. I don't think I'd be that interested in it at 15-20 minutes but I might be willing to play it again if that had been my introduction.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Bottom Liner posted:

It's a really good and unique game with tons of variable setup and replayability. It also works well at all player counts. Definitely back it.

As a counterpoint, I found Millennium Blades a little lacklustre. For a game about playing a competitive CCG it doesn't feel like there's all that much interactivity - just finding the best combos of cards and getting them out there. The cards that do actually mess with other players are unlikely to get you points yourself, and all players start with a 'deck protector' that cancels an opponent's attack, meaning you'll usually need at least two attack cards to know you'll be able to get through to your opponents, weakening your potential combo further.

It's a pretty good game all the same though, and if the idea sounds intriguing to you then go for it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, if you want a game that plays like a CCG with dueling card game mechanics, that's not at all what you'll get. It's a wholly unique experience that is something new as opposed to a CCG in a box like it was kinda marketed as.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Second question then, do I go all in and grab everything($110 total), or just the base? A sane person would say just the base for a game sight unplayed. Maybe just the minis add-on with the base? As it seems the set rotation will be purchasable latter on.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I played it and had good fun with it, but it's somehow not actually that complicated and yet I still managed to get like every rule wrong at least once. I don't know what the word for that is, but it's kind of a pain for the first game. They do this really dumb thing that will confuse every player where they tried to keyword types of actions so you didn't have to remember the action, but the keywords used will just baffle everyone. "What's the Anvil Drop action?" has actually become something of a running joke at the table because of it.

like the second most confusing thing is explaining to your players that every single wad of bills is worth the amount on just one of the bills, not every individual bill is worth that and no for god's sake don't unwrap the bastards that took ages to set up etc etc

It's a pretty unique kind of game though, blending a real-time and turn-based style of play with fairly literal deck-building to create something not quite like anything else I've really ever played. It's worth a look, for sure.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, if you want a game that plays like a CCG with dueling card game mechanics, that's not at all what you'll get. It's a wholly unique experience that is something new as opposed to a CCG in a box like it was kinda marketed as.

I heard D. Brad on a podcast recently talking about his inspiration for the game. Apparently he was addicted to a mobile ccg that was by his own admission a terrible game. When he realized he just liked opening new packs, he decided to make a game that focused on capturing that experience.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, it does a great job of capturing the meta-game of CCGs in the buying/collection/deck building, and the "tournaments" are a fun hand management/point scoring puzzle.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Played second game of the voyages of Marco Polo yesterday, learned I got an important rule wrong (small cities give their bonus every round.) I liked the game even more with 3 and on the second play through. Played as Matteo and got a lot of use out of all the extra contracts and made it to 3 of my destination cities, plus got to Beijing before anyone else. I think though that I could have been stopped if the new player was more aware of his ability to gently caress everyone up with his ability to place a 6 on the khans favor (ofc it's not nearly as good an action for that character considering how much use they get out of the bazaar.) Game is great and continues to impress.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Gloomhaven sounds cool, I hope I remember it exists in the future when I go to buy games. Assuming it is, in fact, cool once people get their hands on it.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Is there a board game trading/selling thread on SA anymore? Pokes around here and SA mart and couldn't find one.

Someone gave me Terra Mystica and I haaaaate it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The Mantis posted:

Is there a board game trading/selling thread on SA anymore? Pokes around here and SA mart and couldn't find one.

Someone gave me Terra Mystica and I haaaaate it.
Yep

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
Played my first game of Isle of Skye yesterday, and it was great. Easy to learn, but lots to think about each round. AP prone player made the game a bit longer, but it still went by quite fast.

It will never get the magical highs of some of the events of Pandemic Legacy, but it will probably be played for years onward, and I think it might be my go to for inexperienced players.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/35046/asmodee-acquiring-f2z-entertainment

X-wing, Catan, Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne. All under one roof.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

All will be consumed

The good news is that Asmodee hasn't exactly ruined anything yet other than slightly raising prices on online resellers and trying to push in-store events.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Quixotic1 posted:

Second question then, do I go all in and grab everything($110 total), or just the base? A sane person would say just the base for a game sight unplayed. Maybe just the minis add-on with the base? As it seems the set rotation will be purchasable latter on.

Why not just buy the base game from a store right now? It's a lot cheaper and you don't have to wait. CSI and MM have it in stock. So does Amazon for a little more, but still less than the kickstarter price.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/171233/big-book-madness is a good game. It's kind of Harry Potterish in theme which is great for getting people into tabletop that maybe grew up with Harry Potter. The art is adorable. It's puzzle solving using very stripped down deck building/character leveling. The game feels very balanced and every group I've played it with has loved it.

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 22, 2016

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Crackbone posted:

You got me with this :bahgawd:

In all honesty it is a cute breezy game the first few times through. My group loves rolling dice and moving cards and chips around so it was a big hit at first. The problem is that it isn't remotely balanced and even more importantly there is zero game to game variety. So we added the expansion hoping that the new cards and extra landmarks would flesh out the game and instead it made it even more random and un-loving-playable.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I'm giddy with excitement. My name is listed among the play testers for the Dead of Winter expansion. Time to go buy a game I'll probably not ever play (because I don't really care for zombie theme anything).

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Quixotic1 posted:

There really is no reason to buy the expansions off the bat - the base game has a ludicrous amount of cards (700?), and you're only supposed to use maybe a third of them for any given game.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

You got me with this :bahgawd:

In all honesty it is a cute breezy game the first few times through. My group loves rolling dice and moving cards and chips around so it was a big hit at first. The problem is that it isn't remotely balanced and even more importantly there is zero game to game variety. So we added the expansion hoping that the new cards and extra landmarks would flesh out the game and instead it made it even more random and un-loving-playable.

Machi Koro is the most requested game at my game nights other than maybe King of Tokyo. I don't love it, but my wife and her friends are always down for shallow dice rolling. I don't get it, but I can't argue with its appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That's where it falls for us as well. I don't bring it to dedicated board game nights, but if we're playing with a younger crowd or family we put it in the pile along with KoNY, Flick Em' Up, and Carcassonne.