Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Carnage is about dual wielding scythes to cut spider webs and then hold people to drain their energy. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Carnage is about red 16-bit cartridges.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Gavok posted:

Eddie Brock is a man who woke up late for work, decided to steal a car, and Spider-Man is every red light he got stuck at on the way.

I mean really, let's not pretend that Eddie was some well meaning social worker who was going to deliver meals on wheels when Spider-man swooped in like Lex Luthor stealing pies and took credit for his charitable actions.

Though, I kind of do want to see some villain who is entirely motivated by hate of a hero because they had "one bad day" but it was all directly attributable to said hero.

Young man is just getting out of Gotham U. on his way to his first big interview. He's standing on the side of the street waiting for a bus when the Batmobile speeds past him, splashing a puddle and soaking his good suit.
Undeterred, the man goes to his interview and while he doesn't make the best impression appearance wise, he's told he got the job
Heading to a lunch date with his girlfriend, the man walks past a jewelry store being robbed in a brazen daylight robbery. He's taken hostage by one of the thieves, but is saved by Batman. Unfortunately, he ends up late for his date and his girlfriend is nowhere to be seen
Coming back to his parent's home he turns on the news and finds that Batman has busted the entire board of directors at the company he was just hired at. Turns out the whole place was a front for some operation Penguin was running. It will be years before all the red tape is unraveled and any genuine business is run out of that office
Finally, just as he goes to bed to put this whole mess of a day behind him, there's an explosion in the back yard. Turns out that his little brother's "science project" he's been working on in secret in the tool shed was actually a drug lab. The kid is safe, but he'll be going away for a very long time, courtesy of the local Vigilante who seems to have a hard on for ruining this one guy's life.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CzarChasm posted:

I mean really, let's not pretend that Eddie was some well meaning social worker who was going to deliver meals on wheels when Spider-man swooped in like Lex Luthor stealing pies and took credit for his charitable actions.

It's wildly inconsistent, but most stories have Eddie being an angry, tightly-wound guy who didn't really do anything wrong until the whole Sin-Eater thing, and even that was just desperation and sloppy work because his career was going nowhere.

His motivation used to be that his distant rich father thought everything he did was worthless except for his journalism, and then he spent like a decade going nowhere with his journalism because he cared more about the truth than playing ball with editorial (and had kind of a lovely attitude). Then the Sin-Eater thing happens and instead of his big break that proves he's a real journalist, it's a debacle that disgraces him and his father just disowns him.

CzarChasm posted:

Though, I kind of do want to see some villain who is entirely motivated by hate of a hero because they had "one bad day" but it was all directly attributable to said hero.

That happened with a podunk inventor who's shrink ray he'd been working on for a decade got invented better by Reed Richards the day before, which led to him losing his job, reputation and marriage when everyone thought he was ripping Richards off poorly.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 10, 2018

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Fox will officially be swallowed whole by Disney on January 1, 2019

Time to rewrite that stinger for Avengers to include Doom and/or Galactus...

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

It's wildly inconsistent, but most stories have Eddie being an angry, tightly-wound guy who didn't really do anything wrong until the whole Sin-Eater thing, and even that was just desperation and sloppy work because his career was going nowhere.

His motivation used to be that his distant rich father thought everything he did was worthless except for his journalism, and then he spent like a decade going nowhere with his journalism because he cared more about the truth than playing ball with editorial (and had kind of a lovely attitude). Then the Sin-Eater thing happens and instead of his big break that proves he's a real journalist, it's a debacle that disgraces him and his father just disowns him.

And his wife left him, though it's inconsistent over whether that happened before or after the Sin-Eater incident.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

And his wife left him, though it's inconsistent over whether that happened before or after the Sin-Eater incident.

Let alone before or after the symbiote thing.

Also everything I said has been contradicted at least once.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
One other thing I wanted to note about seeing Venom. It had 2 post credits scenes and the second is about the Spider-Verse movie. Until this point, I thought we were getting a unique take on Miles. Finding out that it's just the Ultimate universe was weirdly a let down. I know that's dumb, but I was hoping we'd get a universe where Miles was just Spider-Man. Having him be Spider-Man 2 feels like a missed opportunity. He's not his universe's Spider-Man in the same way that the older Peter is or how Noir is.

Gavok posted:

Eddie Brock is a man who woke up late for work and Spider-Man is every red light he got stuck at on the way.

I really like this. I will use this in the future.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah I had the same reaction to the that teaser. Still super looking forward to Spider-Verse.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Let alone before or after the symbiote thing.

Also everything I said has been contradicted at least once.

Reminds me of when they released that Zeb Wells Venom origin miniseries (which I imagine they were sitting on for a few years) at the same time when Dan Slott was doing his Anti-Venom story. Zeb Wells went out of his way to make Eddie look like the most unlikable piece of poo poo imaginable while Slott depicted Eddie as a well-meaning and kind man who goes overboard at times.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yeah but it was a very tame shredding. I know because I was eleven at the time and I wanted it to be bloodier. Carnage was very much a pg13 version of a serial killer.

Didn't he take a drill to a cat and a hammer to his grandma or something in one appearance (maybe his first)?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Chickenwalker posted:

Didn't he take a drill to a cat and a hammer to his grandma or something in one appearance (maybe his first)?

It was a poodle, and that was later on, when he got his own mini-series. He also pushed his grandma down the stairs, pre-symbiote. Carnage is written considerably darker when he's in his own books.

That's more his speed in his Maximum Carnage run: he's definitely probably killin' some guys there, but there's no gory wounds or visible death on panel.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
My favourite Carnage is still from the animated series, where they tried to make him sound like the ultimate edgey arsehole, but had all those stupid censorship restraints placed on the show.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Madkal posted:

My favourite Carnage is still from the animated series, where they tried to make him sound like the ultimate edgey arsehole, but had all those stupid censorship restraints placed on the show.

I do admire what they did with him before he got the symbiote. Since he can't be a serial killer, or a killer of any kind, how do you show him as a dangerous maniac? Simple, he's holed himself up in a condemned building and is chucking explosives out the window while taunting the cops!

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It was a poodle, and that was later on, when he got his own mini-series. He also pushed his grandma down the stairs, pre-symbiote. Carnage is written considerably darker when he's in his own books.

That's more his speed in his Maximum Carnage run: he's definitely probably killin' some guys there, but there's no gory wounds or visible death on panel.

"Make Mine Murder" :roflolmao:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dialog by the Crypt Keeper. Face front ghoul bereavers

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

As part of a Paul Walker charity thing, some cover art reveals the first look at Vin Diesel as Bloodshot.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm at work so I can't post the link, but it looks like thr, Joker movie is being investigated for its treatment of extras.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

I'm at work so I can't post the link, but it looks like thr, Joker movie is being investigated for its treatment of extras.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/joker-extras-locked-subway-car-tracks-1202976071/

Disturbing if true.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Could be worse. They could also mail them all used condoms.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

quote:

“Joker” stars Joaquin Phoenix and is directed by Todd Phillips from a screenplay he wrote with Scott Silver about a failed stand-up comedian becoming a psychopathic criminal. Robert De Niro, Zazie Beetz, Bill Camp, Frances Conroy, Brett Cullen, Glenn Fleshler, Douglas Hodge, Marc Maron, Josh Pais, and Shea Whigham also star.

Filming began last month in New York City. The studio is planning to release “Joker” on Oct. 4, 2019.

All of this is news to me. I mean going with the generally accepted Origin makes as much sense as anything else. But Bobby DeNiro and a soft release date are news to me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Beetz is in this? Weird.

If true, I bet they spin it like they did Keri's harassment. Speaking of that, rumors of Gunn directing SS2 also said he'd not have Jared Leto in it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That is bullshit, now I hate this movie.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This isn't news (it's the Gunn/suicide squad story) but I have to give CBC credit for characterizing Cernovich et al as "far right propagandists"

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4856763

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't suppose Cernovich et al. have said anything about DC potentially hiring Gunn?

I know I shouldn't pay them any attention but these alt-right guys always seem to have a weird passion for the DC movies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't suppose Cernovich et al. have said anything about DC potentially hiring Gunn?

I know I shouldn't pay them any attention but these alt-right guys always seem to have a weird passion for the DC movies.

I went looking but all I found were dumb DC fans afraid he'd add too many jokes to their dark gritty universe and ruin the film by not having Jared Leto in it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know I shouldn't get hype for M Night movies anymore but well, here we are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ztHi9ejp4

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

I went looking but all I found were dumb DC fans afraid he'd add too many jokes to their dark gritty universe and ruin the film by not having Jared Leto in it.

Hahahaha. Nice.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

dc's method acting workout for joker movies continues

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

zoux posted:

I know I shouldn't get hype for M Night movies anymore but well, here we are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ztHi9ejp4

That looks really loving good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1050491774865616897?s=19

But also
https://twitter.com/sanfordgreene/status/1050510502227525632?s=19

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fuuuuuuuuuuck yes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Because maybe people don't realize this it's not just a handshake deal between Feige and Coogler there are companies. agents, contracts and a mess of other things involved in these kinds of things.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And most of those want to pay him much less than he's worth.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Well yes, of course.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They've also been trying to be all aloof about future MCU films.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Rhyno posted:

Scott Derrickson is still going around saying, "Uhhh... I don't remember saying anything about Doctor Strange 2. They are all dead. Who knows what's going on?" after he spent two months saying how excited he was to start working on Doctor Strange 2 so soon after Doctor Strange came out and laying out the plot details he discussed with Kevin Feige.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Rhyno posted:

Probably because of the Fox deal

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Away all Goats posted:

Probably because of the Fox deal

Nah, they want people to believe that the deaths in IW were permanent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It's that and I think they want the focus to be on Avengers 4 and not the stuff that's coming down the road after it.

• Locked thread