Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Godholio posted:

It realized it was a helicopter and an affront to God.

Not just a helicopter, two helicopters sharing the same body. Truly an abomination. Sounds really cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Linedance posted:

Not just a helicopter, two helicopters sharing the same body. Truly an abomination. Sounds really cool though.

Thanks GIS. That was a long shot.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mortabis posted:

I think it was a ground resonance test.

It was not.

Phanatic posted:

That video's interesting for a couple of reasons. The Youtube claim is that it was intentional; it wasn't. The Army decided to use that airframe for a weapons effects test, but didn't actually contact any of our engineers for advice on what to do. They decided to pull the landing gear and chain the thing down to the ground, and it went into resonance because it didn't have any oleos to damp it out and shook itself apart before the Army even got to shoot it with anything.

The other interesting reason is *why* they were using that airframe for a weapons effects test. It was on a transit flight one day and experienced a controls malfunction, later traced to water and debris in the actuator hydraulic system, and did a 360-degree roll in flight. The pilots regained control a few hundred feet up, but the airframe was terminally overstressed and they couldn't actually use it as a helicopter anymore.

Tail number was M3060, an A-model converted to a D-model. Here's more:

https://books.google.com/books?id=i...0report&f=false

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
Best description of a Chinook I ever heard: "You see, that right there, Sarn't?... That's two palm trees, loving a dumpster."

We've got a bunch that are organic to us down here at Soto Cano Air Base (Honduras), and I'm always like 'man, they're so much larger than Blackhawks'...

...Then the SPMAG-TF Marines come down to play with their -53s and I just can't believe how much larger than a Chinook they are, and the fact that they're that much bigger and yet single rotor. Holy hell they're enormous.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Aeronautical Insanity: A Pakistani home-built helicopter.

http://www.dawn.com/news/1160826

I really cant tell which part of it scares me more.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Aeronautical Insanity: A Pakistani home-built helicopter.

http://www.dawn.com/news/1160826

I really cant tell which part of it scares me more.

Six months old dateline, did it really fly?

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Midjack posted:

Six months old dateline, did it really fly?

insha'Allah

the way the pilot switches from (urdu?) to English in the interview is kinda cool. Has a real "the Universal Translator just kicked in" feel to it.

brains
May 12, 2004

thetechnoloser posted:

Best description of a Chinook I ever heard: "You see, that right there, Sarn't?... That's two palm trees, loving a dumpster."

We've got a bunch that are organic to us down here at Soto Cano Air Base (Honduras), and I'm always like 'man, they're so much larger than Blackhawks'...

...Then the SPMAG-TF Marines come down to play with their -53s and I just can't believe how much larger than a Chinook they are, and the fact that they're that much bigger and yet single rotor. Holy hell they're enormous.

the hookers (47 guys) always like to act smug around blackhawk crews about the cargo mission with the whole 'why don't you let the big boys handle it' routine. then a pair of 53s comes in and parks on the ramp one day and you never hear another word.

there's always a bigger fish, though:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

brains posted:

the hookers (47 guys) always like to act smug around blackhawk crews about the cargo mission with the whole 'why don't you let the big boys handle it' routine. then a pair of 53s comes in and parks on the ramp one day and you never hear another word.

there's always a bigger fish, though:

I tried really hard to find a picture of an Mi-26 parked next to a CH-53, and couldn't.

brains
May 12, 2004

here's a bigger version, for scale. the fuselage is the same size as a C-130.

fun fact, at that density altitude they are so heavy they have to do a max gross weight takeoff (basically a rolling takeoff like a fixed wing) and use almost the entire runway.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Graphically compare sizes of up to 5 helicopters:
http://www.aviastar.org/scale/
(It only has the CH-53A, which is about 11 feet shorter than the -E.)

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

brains posted:

here's a bigger version, for scale. the fuselage is the same size as a C-130.

I got curious - the tail rotor of the Mi-26 is the same diameter as the main rotor on a R22 - except the Mi26 tail is 5 blades and the R22 main is 2

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Someone in the Spaceflight channel posted this and wanted help to ID what it used to be.

We haven't been able to get anywhere with it. It seems WW2 era-ish, but it's got tricycle gear, which is drat uncommon in single-seat planes of the era, and it doesn't match any of them that I've seen.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

T-28 Trojan

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

drat, that was quick. I was suspecting it was postwar, but didn't really know where to look. Thanks!

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

My dad spotted this flying over the English Channel and would like to know if anyone can ID it

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

freelop posted:

My dad spotted this flying over the English Channel and would like to know if anyone can ID it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_T-6_Texan

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:spergin:SNJ:spergin:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

What?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It has the Navy paint scheme.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

T-6s bought by the Navy (that one is wearing USMC markings) are called SNJs.

It's totally a T-6, I was just nerding the gently caress out.

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?

thetechnoloser posted:

The RAF refers to the Chinook as the Contra-rotating Death Banana...

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Ohh right, ok. You have outnerded me. :unsmith:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Cheers, I was really wrong on my guess.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

MrYenko. On a roll.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
I wouldn't bet on what version it is from the paint scheme alone, people paint them like whatever they think is cool without regard to how they started out all the time.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 24, 2016

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It's one of the few planes of that vintage that I know by sight. Mainly because it has a greenhouse welded to the top of it. :)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

vessbot posted:

I wouldn't bet on what version it is from the paint scheme alone, people paint them like whatever they think is cool without regard to how they started out all the time.

Absolutely true.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Since it's in the UK it might well have originally been a Harvard.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

rocket_350 posted:

Since it's in the UK it might well have originally been a Harvard.

Yup! And those were license-built copies that did have some differences from the T-6/SNJ besides the name on the data plate.

Such as:

- no gear doors for rough fields
- long exhaust that allows for cabin heat to rear cockpit
- Commonwealth-style ring on the top of the stick
- barrel-shaped (as opposed to ball) throttle knob

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

It's a new design! Why would I need a warranty?

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 26, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's a new design! Why would I need a warranty?

Ball 3 as of 2014:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

I saw then landing at MIA a week ago, turns out the new Eastern only has scheduled flights between Miami and Cuba, and I guess they charter the Panthers hockey team around too.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I saw then landing at MIA a week ago, turns out the new Eastern only has scheduled flights between Miami and Cuba, and I guess they charter the Panthers hockey team around too.

Ya, they only have a handful of airplanes, as of yet.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

TTerrible posted:

It's one of the few planes of that vintage that I know by sound...

FTFY :)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Went to the March Field airshow last week and uh, I guess this is a thing now:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

StandardVC10 posted:

So its going to rocket straight up and then nosedive into the ground?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

StandardVC10 posted:

I’ve seen Buttcoiners’ “best” practices and what they think about regulation. I wouldn’t want to be within the maximum range of that thing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

StandardVC10 posted:

Flight plan: direct up uP UP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Flight envelope for that is about as stable as the future of cryptocurr. Hope they pull up to the pump at the FBO "ummm you can scan my block chain qr right :smug: "