Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Do we have a thread for "hey, here's what's in my fridge, help me think of something interesting?" Like what they do on Splendid Table, or those FoodTV cooking competition shows where they give the contestants 3 bizarre theme ingredients. Or is this basically the thread for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Do we have a thread for "hey, here's what's in my fridge, help me think of something interesting?" Like what they do on Splendid Table, or those FoodTV cooking competition shows where they give the contestants 3 bizarre theme ingredients. Or is this basically the thread for that?

this has been the thread for that, but it's a perennial problem and a sort of question that gets asked in here a lot. make a thread specifically for it, i think it's a great idea!

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

hakimashou posted:

A hundred-ish dollar Zojirushi rice cooker will make rice perfectly every single time with no effort at all. Just rinse the rice, put it in, fill with water to the line, close the lid, push the button.

If you eat a lot of rice you should get one, its like a microwave or something it's a basic kitchen thing.

The timer function if you get one with it is basically magic.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

hakimashou posted:

A hundred-ish dollar Zojirushi rice cooker will make rice perfectly every single time with no effort at all. Just rinse the rice, put it in, fill with water to the line, close the lid, push the button.

If you eat a lot of rice you should get one, its like a microwave or something it's a basic kitchen thing.

And if you're a lazy loser long grain rices cook pretty well both rinsed and not.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

AnonSpore posted:

Got a friend who's visiting from Germany who asked me if I want anything from there. What are some good shelf-stable German foods that can survive a trip through checked luggage?

Haribo and Ritter Sport :devil:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

GrAviTy84 posted:

this has been the thread for that, but it's a perennial problem and a sort of question that gets asked in here a lot. make a thread specifically for it, i think it's a great idea!

Cool! I keep finding myself in this situation bc I started work for a deli in a grocery store. Mgmt is cool about us taking stuff home that we can't sell, so in one night I'll end up bringing home free things like bruised produce, a jar of peanut butter that's one day out of code, a carton of eggs we couldn't sell bc it has 2 cracked eggs in it, some quinoa that someone bagged from our bulk section then left in another dept when they changed their mind, and the likker from the spicy collards from our deli's hot bar. I get home and look at it and say "NOW what?" I like to think myself a clever cook, but tonight I'm just stumped. Thought maybe some other goons might have either the same problem of "wtf do I do with what I have?", or creative solutions. I'll try to craft an OP!

edit: the above are just examples, not actually what I'm dealing with tonight

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Anyone have a good recipe for arroz con costra? I heard a description and it sounds like extremely my poo poo but the recipes I see seem kinda varied (and most of them are in Spanish, which I can't read) and I'm wary.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 2, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If you're lazy about washing rice then you probably don't have one of these, and you should get one.

https://www.amazon.com/Kotobuki-Japanese-Washer-Drain-Clear/dp/B00DSNQPD2

Its 5$, you put the rice in, run some water over it, spray it with the sprayer on your sink if you've got one, it takes like 30 seconds.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

How's that different than any colender

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Anyone have any experience using bromelain-based meat tenderizer in marinades? I thought I'd try adding some to my beef jerky marinade but I'm worried it'll make the meat too mushy since it's so thin.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

How's that different than any colender

The holes are small enough that rice doesnt go through. It's also got little bumps on the bottom you rub the rice against when you rinse it and ribs on the sides. Also it only has holes on the very bottom so water will pool in there while you're running it so you dont waste water.

But you can use it as a colander too i guess if you want.

I keep the rice measuring cup and the paddle in the rice washer thing so I have it all together when I need it.

You're paying 100+ bucks for a rice cooker get the special 5$ rice colander too, don't do just half a thing.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I'm really having trouble imagining needing a special device to wash rice instead of just swirling the water around in the cooking vessel and then pouring it off.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

SubG posted:

I'm really having trouble imagining needing a special device to wash rice instead of just swirling the water around in the cooking vessel and then pouring it off.

With 5 bucks you won't need to imagine it!

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Bollock Monkey posted:

We started going mostly veggie a few months ago. Veg Recipes of India has been really handy, and Indian food is a great go-to for delicious and fairly easy veggie stuff.

A few from my bookmarks:
Sweet potato burgers and amazing garlic cream
Halloumi burgers
Lentil lasagne
Persian recipes

Digital veggie cookbook

Other staples include pasta dishes with veg in - broccoli, peppers, asparagus (lemon and asparagus is tasty), whatever really. I also like to get a bunch of different veg, maybe courgette, aubergine, peppers and onions and coat them in harissa/similar, roast and serve with cous cous. There's also vegetarian chilli, which I do with sweet potatoes and a couple of kinds of beans.

Linda McCartney sausages and these mozzarella-filled burgers are actually pretty decent if you want to experiment with meat substitutes. I made vegetarian toad in the hole the other day and it worked very well.

Soy protein mince is a useful way to add bulk and a different texture to things. If you soak it in stock instead of water you can add some flavour, as it doesn't taste of anything on its own. I find it useful for doing bolognese type things.

Thanks! Very much appreciated

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
Thanks thread for your collective advice on my mysterious danger chili, I had some for lunch and am still mostly alive. Good info on watching out for folks who may be more vulnerable to food poisoning effects tho, never really thought about that before (not that it comes up often, but a good consideration to pack away in the back of your mind).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I made Paul Hollywood's bloomer bread loaf and that thing is loving delicious (and easy to make).

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

hakimashou posted:

If you're lazy about washing rice then you probably don't have one of these, and you should get one.

https://www.amazon.com/Kotobuki-Japanese-Washer-Drain-Clear/dp/B00DSNQPD2

Its 5$, you put the rice in, run some water over it, spray it with the sprayer on your sink if you've got one, it takes like 30 seconds.

I have one and my complaint is they drain super slow. I switched to a mesh colander and it works better for me.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
If I'm interested in getting a few quality pieces of cookware to last '4 lyfe,' could I go wrong with Le Creuset? At $200 for a 12'' iron skillet and $100 for a casserole, I should hope not.

With these very pricey dishes, though, I need to replace probably a kitchen worth of cookware sets that come with 20+ pieces, of which 16 are never used and just take up space. Can this iron skillet effectively replace a plain stainless steel frying pan? I can brown beef, make risotto, etc in it, correct?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Uncle w Benefits posted:

If I'm interested in getting a few quality pieces of cookware to last '4 lyfe,' could I go wrong with Le Creuset? At $200 for a 12'' iron skillet and $100 for a casserole, I should hope not.

With these very pricey dishes, though, I need to replace probably a kitchen worth of cookware sets that come with 20+ pieces, of which 16 are never used and just take up space. Can this iron skillet effectively replace a plain stainless steel frying pan? I can brown beef, make risotto, etc in it, correct?

Cast iron pans are useful and certainly have their place, but if you're looking for high-quality workhorses, I'd recommend getting an All-Clad stainless steel pan for everyday use over a Le Creuset cast iron pan. Not to mention cast iron is dirt cheap and ubiquitous and the Le Creuset version is no more effective than a $20 Lodge.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The Midniter posted:

Cast iron pans are useful and certainly have their place, but if you're looking for high-quality workhorses, I'd recommend getting an All-Clad stainless steel pan for everyday use over a Le Creuset cast iron pan. Not to mention cast iron is dirt cheap and ubiquitous and the Le Creuset version is no more effective than a $20 Lodge.

Yeah I agree. The $200 on he linked is enameled on the inside, but still-i don't think I would want to cook with that all day, every day.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

wormil posted:

I have one and my complaint is they drain super slow. I switched to a mesh colander and it works better for me.

Mesh strainer + sink sprayer works great.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

The Midniter posted:

Neat. They sell Lodge at my hardware store. For a frying plan, bigger is better right? Nobody who went to cook said 'I wish I had a smaller pan' did they? I should just get one large all clad pan.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Neat. They sell Lodge at my hardware store. For a frying plan, bigger is better right? Nobody who went to cook said 'I wish I had a smaller pan' did they? I should just get one large all clad pan.

Bigger is usually better, but I wouldn't get any pan that's significantly larger than the largest burner you have since you want to be able to heat the whole pan to approximately the same temp and maintain that temp during cooking. I think for a standard range, I'd keep the max to 12".

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I like having a smaller pan when I make my kids a 1-egg omelette, for example. Or to finish off caramelised onions (they start big but after a bit it's just wasted space and I need the large pan for other stuff).

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
I picked up a 12'' Lodge iron pan.

It's in the oven right now at 450* slathered in Crisco to season it. After an initial two hours, I'll put a layer of peanut oil in it for another go at 450* for two hours.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I picked up a 12'' Lodge iron pan.

It's in the oven right now at 450* slathered in Crisco to season it. After an initial two hours, I'll put a layer of peanut oil in it for another go at 450* for two hours.

When you say slathered...I hope you didn't leave it on thick. At all. You should wipe it on a warm pan, then wipe it all off so it's just shiny.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

When you say slathered...I hope you didn't leave it on thick. At all. You should wipe it on a warm pan, then wipe it all off so it's just shiny.

Or alternatively make some cornbread in it

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It wasn't coated thick, with peaks of Crisco visible. It was certainly thick, but no standing Crisco. Also the pan was definitely cold :(

What if, for instance, I had laid it on real thick like that?

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 3, 2017

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

taqueso posted:

Mesh strainer + sink sprayer works great.

That's what I do. But some people are super obsessive about washing rice.

Uncle w Benefits posted:

It wasn't coated thick, with peaks of Crisco visible. It was certainly thick, but no standing Crisco. Also the pan was definitely cold :(

You can lay it on thick, just don't LEAVE it on.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Uncle w Benefits posted:

It wasn't coated thick, with peaks of Crisco visible. It was certainly thick, but no standing Crisco.

If it's too thick the pan will end up all sticky.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Uncle w Benefits posted:

It will be gummy as hell. Even without peaks, a thick layer tends not to polymerize properly. The easiest way to get a thin layer with any fat is to warm the pan a bit before you apply, then wipe it off. And just like any thing wiht grease on it, you won't be able to wipe it all off, a very thin layer will remain, except in this case that's a good thing.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Uncle w Benefits posted:

As others have said it will be all gummy, you will need to thoroughly scrub everything off and start over again, this time with a very thin layer, there should be just a sheen of oil on the surface.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Relax, though. With enough cooking the seasoning will wear into itself anyway. Just use it and it will continue to get better.

I have a bunch of pans and such but truth be told 98% of the time I just grab my family heirloom 10 inch cast iron and cook with it. I don't even take it off the stovetop I use it so much.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
drat. When I scrub everything off I should just pour about a half a cup of salt into the pan and scrub the salt dry with a paper towel?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Uncle w Benefits posted:

drat. When I scrub everything off I should just pour about a half a cup of salt into the pan and scrub the salt dry with a paper towel?

Since you don't have anything seasoned really, don't worry about just using salt or whatever. Just scrub the poo poo out of it under hot water and even soap to get rid of any traces of sticky Crisco residue, then dry completely.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I just got a quite nice teak, end grade grain cutting board.

It's my understanding that it should be oiled daily for a few days prior to using.

A video I'd watched, which is what prompted me to look into getting a nicer cutting board than "that plastic thing I've had for years" featured Gordon Ramsay giving advice on important kitchen items that can be durable yet affordable.

When he was talking about cutting boards, he mentioned oiling them occasionally if they appeared dry or scratched, but he specifically said "any cooking oil will do".

From a cursory Google search, however, I'm seeing lots of sites specifically stating that cooking oil should NEVER be used on boards as it can go rancid. They seem to recommend mineral oil or beeswax.

What are y'alls suggestions?

Annath fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 3, 2017

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Buy cheapass mineral oil at your local drugstore.

It will be heavy oil, which is harder to rub in, but it will work. You can buy light mineral oil, but it will cost a little more, and you might have to source it online.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

The Midniter posted:

Since you don't have anything seasoned really, don't worry about just using salt or whatever. Just scrub the poo poo out of it under hot water and even soap to get rid of any traces of sticky Crisco residue, then dry completely.

I think I'm going to take the previous posters advice and just relax. I was going to use it this evening to make some burgers and it makes sense that the fat will probably even out and fix itself with continued use

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ikea sells cheap mineral oil for this exact purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I think I'm going to take the previous posters advice and just relax. I was going to use it this evening to make some burgers and it makes sense that the fat will probably even out and fix itself with continued use

If you don't get rid of the initial too-heavy layer of "seasoning", it is going to eventually flake off by itself, leaving bare iron underneath, and in an uneven fashion. Even if you go the route of "just use it" to season it, I'd still recommend scrubbing it bare before you start cooking with it.