Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Froghammer posted:

I'm a few pages behind, but this thread apparently has enough of a parasocial relationship with Travis to feel comfortable pretending to be his therapist.

Which is a totally cool and normal thing to do and doesn't smack of a bizarre grudge at all.

If I’m pretending, then why does his insurance provider keep accepting my charges?

But, semi-seriously, Travis is not mentally ill. He’s just a wiener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Froghammer posted:

Oh look! Like six loving posts later

Don't do this. This is extremely unhealthy and weird of you

thank you for your original post & also this one to continue the bad discussion so the thread remains bad. we almost got to talk about old mcelroy polygon videos but luckily we're back on this poo poo again.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Squack McQuack posted:

Am I missing something? Hasnt he talked about having mental health issues related to narcissism? Perhaps I should have said “somewhat ill” instead of seriously ill? He took a break from Twitter for his own mental health right?

as somebody with a diagnosed mental illness, please go eat a million sandpapery dicks

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

how i learned to post:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Squack McQuack posted:

Didn’t realize my criticism of Travis was so bizarre and weird.

It was, in fact, extremely weird.

apatheticman posted:

Overboard is the only thing I watch there anymore

Same, but Overboard is suffering badly from not being able to do in-person stuff. Theoretically it shouldn't make a difference, but the games they're choosing to play because of the online environment just aren't doing it for me.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

apatheticman posted:

Overboard is the only thing I watch there anymore

Moving on a bit from the weirdness itt if you like Overboard I'd suggest watching Funhaus's Board as Hell videos, they're at least on par with Overboard at their best. Now I liked these guys from other videos on their channel so i dont know how they are for new fans but worth a shot if you like people playing board games and being silly/ funny. Here's a few I remember enjoying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7Xj0RP59Eo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzw8VEMGbGI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3koIr-3pbfQ

I discovered Funhaus during lockdown and it really scratched that itch of like Giant Bomb when it was good and Polygon stupidity and just people having a great time playing games, though modern Funhaus while good at times isn't as good as it used to be as a lot of the crew have left, golden age was about 2 years ago and back from there.

Their drunk video game vids are also pretty fun too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHir8eYIZS0

Also if people dont like them or as it's the internet really hate them for some reason thats fine, its all subjective, I just like them and wanted to share :unsmith:

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 20, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
gaming was a mistake

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Just Chamber posted:

Moving on a bit from the weirdness itt if you like Overboard I'd suggest watching Funhaus's Board as Hell videos, they're at least on par with Overboard at their best. Now I liked these guys from other videos on their channel so i dont know how they are for new fans but worth a shot if you like people playing board games and being silly/ funny. Here's a few I remember enjoying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7Xj0RP59Eo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzw8VEMGbGI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3koIr-3pbfQ

I discovered Funhaus during lockdown and it really scratched that itch of like Giant Bomb when it was good and Polygon stupidity and just people having a great time playing games, though modern Funhaus while good at times isn't as good as it used to be as a lot of the crew have left, golden age was about 2 years ago and back from there.

Their drunk video game vids are also pretty fun too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHir8eYIZS0

Also if people dont like them or as it's the internet really hate them for some reason thats fine, its all subjective, I just like them and wanted to share :unsmith:

Funhaus is really good yea. They got kinda hosed by a string of people wanting to do their own thing (can't blame them, they work for Rooster Teeth and that place sounds loving unbearable) and one getting busted for being a complete creep who apparently caused a lot of backstage issues so they're down to like two or three of the 'originals', so a lot of fans got all 'agh change, this sucks' but I really like their newer people too.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
My little fun funhaus fact, is I went to high school with Alanah

She was very driven and self-motivated, and did not suffer fools. I'm glad she found success with something that seemed to match her style

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

sexpig by night posted:

Funhaus is really good yea. They got kinda hosed by a string of people wanting to do their own thing (can't blame them, they work for Rooster Teeth and that place sounds loving unbearable) and one getting busted for being a complete creep who apparently caused a lot of backstage issues so they're down to like two or three of the 'originals', so a lot of fans got all 'agh change, this sucks' but I really like their newer people too.

I also like the new people, I think it's not helped that a lot of the new people have been more at the forefront during covid times and as a lot of their content is at home it's going to be about 10% as good as in studio stuff. Also yea gently caress Adam for being unable to not be weird in the office.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

inferis posted:

how i learned to post:

Wait, does their book actually try to tell you how to podcast and isn't just a John hodgeman type fake guide?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

Wait, does their book actually try to tell you how to podcast and isn't just a John hodgeman type fake guide?

I mean, who’s to say really? Some may find that learning how to improv by immediately disagreeing and diminishing what your cohost said is good advice for a successful podcast. Others may see it as hilarious satirical wit.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Phlag posted:

John Roderick shouldn’t have repeatedly put himself in situations where people had to search his soul for answers to the question “Hmmmm is this guy really a [racist/child abuser] or just a loving idiot.”
I like how neither of these options are [a comedian].

Ariong posted:

If I recall correctly, that was the only one because the scandal happened almost immediately afterward.
There was also a Super Mario Galaxy episode, which I mostly remember because of this exchange:
Nick: "What killed me!?"
Griffin: "I mean, hubris."

I liked Let's Go to Hell, but I didn't see it lasting very long since, as mentioned, there was another guy doing the same thing. Though I do wish Griffin continued CoolGames Inc. once Nick was replaced at Polygon. Imagine the energy Griffin & BDG could've brought to that podcast together.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Sivart13 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0whogQHs5Ow

I miss CGI terribly. I think Nick was very funny but maybe he just matches my demo as a rhythm game obsessive.

I haven't followed any of his post-polygon content because I don't want to support a creep but I would vastly prefer if he was just provably no longer a creep.

Thank you for finding this, it's maybe one of my favorite McElroy podcasting moments. Totally forgot it was Simone and not Tara. I always think of Tara as the more savage one.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Just Chamber posted:

I also like the new people, I think it's not helped that a lot of the new people have been more at the forefront during covid times and as a lot of their content is at home it's going to be about 10% as good as in studio stuff. Also yea gently caress Adam for being unable to not be weird in the office.

yea really rough timing for the new folks, their covid stuff has been solid but yea obviously they're best in person together so the combo of 'new person seen as 'replacing' an old time fave' and 'streaming from home which can suck rear end' is rough to come in on.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Toaster Beef posted:

Thank you for finding this, it's maybe one of my favorite McElroy podcasting moments. Totally forgot it was Simone and not Tara. I always think of Tara as the more savage one.

Tara is pretty good in this one, where she just bulldozes all over their bit and it's hysterical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni_8BzPNbjs

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 21, 2021

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Macaluso posted:

Tara was the one who did the "nobody knows who you are and nobody cares" however. In this one, where she just bulldozes all over their bit and it's hysterical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni_8BzPNbjs

edit: Huh it wasn't this one she says that line. What the heck

Yeah, it was Simone in the video from the post I quoted. Surprised me too!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Toaster Beef posted:

Yeah, it was Simone in the video from the post I quoted. Surprised me too!

Yeah I missed the bit trying to find it, it was from the other video, you're right it was Simone :v:

It reminded me of Hoop Dreamz though so really we're all winners here

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

sticklefifer posted:

There was also a Super Mario Galaxy episode, which I mostly remember because of this exchange:
Nick: "What killed me!?"
Griffin: "I mean, hubris."

I liked Let's Go to Hell, but I didn't see it lasting very long since, as mentioned, there was another guy doing the same thing. Though I do wish Griffin continued CoolGames Inc. once Nick was replaced at Polygon. Imagine the energy Griffin & BDG could've brought to that podcast together.

The incident happened only a few months before Justin and Griffin left, and he said at the time they'd been looking to leave for about a year. Having Nick torpedo all their collaborations probably just helped accelerate Griffin's exit, as he was already looking for the exit ramp.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Boundary Break and Let's Go to Hell weren't very similar at all. Let's Go to Hell was comedic, Boundary Break is dry, informative and honestly pretty boring

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

sticklefifer posted:

That was intended to be covered in the “loving idiot” option. Not that all comedians are idiotic, but the poo poo he was saying sure was.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc0TKzwSo0w

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Just Chamber posted:

Yeah, a big draw of Funhaus, at least for me, were the in-studio antics. It didn't take long for me to fall off the channel once the work-from-home era started.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Squack McQuack posted:

Because I’m lazy. I don’t know how to link to the original vid so here’s a reddit link. https://v.redd.it/qb5v2yl693o61 There, I have loving posted it!

Didn’t realize my criticism of Travis was so bizarre and weird.

This is absolutely hilarious.

Among Us rage combined with virtue signaling is peak liberal poo poo.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 21, 2021

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Yeah that’s pretty insufferable lmao

Travis constantly falls over himself to make any situation about him, he’s the protagonist and everyone else is there to to advance his story

Honestly if he could just rein it back a bit it would be fine but he seems like he can’t control it to his own detriment

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I mean he's gone on record talking about how his narcissism is a detriment, so instead of hating on him I just feel kinda bad for him. It must suck to be so anxious that you constantly need attention and validation, what a chore that must be.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

edit: I think I'm wrong and this was a lovely post anyway.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 21, 2021

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Thank you so much for posting this, I love this person's work and this might be my favorite bit they ever did. My only disappointment is that the part where Justin accuses Travis of not thinking 22 slices is a lot of pizza didn't make it in.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/gill_zer0/status/1329192042866434048

is there some sort of thing about the mcelroys being troop loving libs out there? or is it just twitter "thing i dislike is like every other thing i dislike" i don't get it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah if he just said he wasnt enjoying this style of play and could they take it more seriously thatd be one thing but lmao at 'im ESTABLISHING MY OWN BOUNDARIES'

its among us dude. hes literally talking about 'trolling people is what bad people do' even though the entire group there is totally okay with loving with each other. such a bizarre thing to do.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 21, 2021

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Impermanent posted:

is there some sort of thing about the mcelroys being troop loving libs out there? or is it just twitter "thing i dislike is like every other thing i dislike" i don't get it.

They are very liberal (*especially* Travis). Any movement to the left seems a more recent thing. Just listen to an older episode to hear them make riding with biden jokes or whatever.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Sankis posted:

They are very liberal (*especially* Travis). Any movement to the left seems a more recent thing. Just listen to an older episode to hear them make riding with biden jokes or whatever.

their move to the left was from clinton to warren

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Impermanent posted:

Yeah. A lot of these jabs don't feel that well aimed but :shrug:.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Oh, for sure. I didn't mean to imply it was a big move. Largely just less moralizing about stealing.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

breaking: family that literally grew up in the southern baptist church in west virginia is merely center-left

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Normal people: What if the guy who posts liberal "no homos" on twitter and screams at people in a children's game is bad and his weirdo brother who films his wife screaming at retail workers and posts the video on twitter is bad

McElroyfans: Actually i think you'll find there's children dying in africa and...

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

weirdo brother who films his wife screaming at retail workers and posts the video on twitter is bad

this is another one of those things i don't really get. are people deliberately ignoring the context that she was yelling at a self-employed person selling snake oil to gullible people. or has left twitter really gone into 'support your local small businesses' all of a sudden.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
justin and sydnee were right to do that

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

This clip is even funnier given he was trolling that group with an annoying baby voice earlier in that stream. There are audible sighs of frustration as he kept doing it despite people saying they were turning him down / voting for him to get it to stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

very normal take that the store owner claiming they could cure autism was the good guy

edit: cure autism with CBD lol

eke out fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 21, 2021