Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Fattest PI posted:

I just impulse bought valkyria chronicles because I like turn based strategy even though I hate anime weeaboo poo poo. Please tell me it's actually good.

Also recommend me other ones TIA

It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

The Fattest PI posted:

I just impulse bought valkyria chronicles because I like turn based strategy even though I hate anime weeaboo poo poo. Please tell me it's actually good.

My anime experience doesn't go beyond watching Pokemon with my daughter and I found it tolerable, though I skipped 90% of the cutscenes because I was bored with them. The game itself is ok, but gently caress there are a lot of cutscenes with young people playing grizzled veterans.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

The Fattest PI posted:

Xenonauts.

VC is good but becomes less tactical over the course of the game, and then it becomes sort of hilarious and broken- in a fun way.

Ariza posted:

My anime experience doesn't go beyond watching Pokemon with my daughter and I found it tolerable, though I skipped 90% of the cutscenes because I was bored with them. The game itself is ok, but gently caress there are a lot of cutscenes with young people playing grizzled veterans.
It goes without saying, but VC is a pretty simplistic portrayal of war. But that's also kind of what makes it entertaining in the first place. There's an especially great part where everyone is solving their problems with the power of friendship and deep personal change, and then something incredibly serious happens and it just goes full-blown anime melodrama in the ensuing scene.

But I think I like my random squad members better than the main cast, excepting Largo.

thehoax
Feb 23, 2011

Well, then.

The Fattest PI posted:

It's really good gameplay-wise. The storyline can get pretty anime but not too creepy or dumb. A lot of the more anime-y things are skippable.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Xenonauts.

VC is good but becomes less tactical over the course of the game, and then it becomes sort of hilarious and broken- in a fun way.

It goes without saying, but VC is a pretty simplistic portrayal of war. But that's also kind of what makes it entertaining in the first place. There's an especially great part where everyone is solving their problems with the power of friendship and deep personal change, and then something incredibly serious happens and it just goes full-blown anime melodrama in the ensuing scene.

But I think I like my random squad members better than the main cast, excepting Largo.

I don't mind hilarious and broken, final fantasy tactics and disgaea were neat cause you could eventually really abuse the system. I hope you mean broken and fun kind of like that.

Is xenonauts good? I followed that project for goddamn years, starting in like 2001/2002 when all they had was a tech demo geoscape, and then they got poo poo on for violating copyright or whatever. Lost interest when zero progress was being made and nothing changed every few years when I remembered to check on it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

You know, I'm no graphics snob, but even random old Russian space games manage to look more appealing than that.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Wow hardland looks so nice. I know it's early access so I'll hold off, but I really can't wait to see what this is like once it releases.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/321980/

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

The Fattest PI posted:

I don't mind hilarious and broken, final fantasy tactics and disgaea were neat cause you could eventually really abuse the system. I hope you mean broken and fun kind of like that.

Is xenonauts good? I followed that project for goddamn years, starting in like 2001/2002 when all they had was a tech demo geoscape, and then they got poo poo on for violating copyright or whatever. Lost interest when zero progress was being made and nothing changed every few years when I remembered to check on it.
VC gets broken when one of your classes basically ascends to SSJ2 levels of power and then you can combo it with special orders to make them even better. Most of the levels past a certain point are about taking the enemy's primary base camp, so it sort of becomes a race to get there quickly and decimate the dudes/tanks occupying it so you can capture it by turn 1 or 2. At that point the game really becomes more of a puzzle that you manually cut the pieces in order to fit together quickly as opposed to anything tactically challenging. But I find that kind of thing enjoyable in of itself, so ymmv.

Xenonauts, on the other hand, is a straight-up tactical game and a good level of challenge. If you like the old X-Com games, it's easily the best modern adaptation and the modding scene for it seems pretty decent at the moment.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Rookersh posted:

This is a bit of a longshot, but are there any goons out there that haven't bought AssCreed 3/Black Flag yet, but want to in the future?

I want the Benedict Arnold/Aveline DLCs, because I'm an OCD completionist. Thing is, unless you buy the Deluxe Edition, you can't get the keys, since they never resold them through any other means. Since I bought the Standard Edition of AssCreed 3 due to the press around it near release, and didn't want to buy the Deluxe Edition of Black Flag after AssCreed 3, I'm missing both DLC. I also can't now buy the Deluxe Editions because I already own the Standard Edition, so the only way I CAN get the DLC is through taking someone elses.

Neither sounds exceptional ( both are sub40 minutes long ), so I propose a deal for some enterprising goon. I will give you $5-10 ( depending on price, if AssCreed 3 goes on sale for $11, I'm not buying the game for you. ) for your Benedict Arnold/Aveline DLC code, so you can get the Deluxe Edition of either game ( which has a whole bunch of other DLC I don't give a poo poo about ) for a lower price then the Standard Edition. Neither DLC is tied to the plot of the game, so you won't be missing out, and you'll get the game for an even lower price.

All I ask is for that key ( which is separate from the Game/Deluxe keys as I understand it ).

Obviously this will likely be a "lets wait till the games go on sale again" type deal, since nobody wants to buy the games at full price. I just imagine a sale will come up soon thanks to Rogue, so I'm preparing ahead of time.

This sounds like something customer service should help you fix, have you contacted them? Pretty sure other goons in similar situations (but different games) have had luck there. (edit: assuming it's available to purchase now and wasn't a limited set of keys?)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I remember playing this back when it first came out and being really impressed by the 3d city and combat... I think you could climb things as well? And there were ziplines? Probably seems charmingly primitive now, but at the time I was wowed by being able to run around in what felt like a completely open city.

I never played much past the point where Men in Black show up, and their bodies levitate and explode like something out of Highlander when you defeat them in battle, but I remember thinking the game had taken a really weird turn. I have no idea how far into the storyline I was, but I was left with a generally positive impression.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Jerusalem posted:

I remember playing this back when it first came out and being really impressed by the 3d city and combat... I think you could climb things as well? And there were ziplines? Probably seems charmingly primitive now, but at the time I was wowed by being able to run around in what felt like a completely open city.

I never played much past the point where Men in Black show up, and their bodies levitate and explode like something out of Highlander when you defeat them in battle, but I remember thinking the game had taken a really weird turn. I have no idea how far into the storyline I was, but I was left with a generally positive impression.

Yeah, I thought I had made clear about all the climbing stuff, but apparently that got lost while I was cutting sentences that didn't make any sense. There's all sorts of ziplines and fences and whatnot to climb over and fall off.

Also, that spoiler makes it sound a whole lot better than where I've got to so far. Gonna have to go do a bunch more, because that sounds way cooler than the stuff I'm doing, which is decent but not especially exciting. Generally positive impression is more or less what I got from it. 6.5/10.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Does Mark of the Ninja play better with a controller? For all the positive reviews it has, the controls are hot garbage on M+KB. I don't want to give up on it after 0.3 hours played though.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Thoughtless posted:

Does Mark of the Ninja play better with a controller? For all the positive reviews it has, the controls are hot garbage on M+KB. I don't want to give up on it after 0.3 hours played though.

I want to say yes, but I never even tried M+KB. With any platformish type games, I tend to use the controller automatically.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i had the same experience and the game was far far better when i switched to a controller

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
When are they going to reveal/add the additional games for the Star Wars Humble Bundle? Is it based on how many donations they get, or will it be revealed within the last few days of the offer?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I found the KB+M controls fine enough, but perhaps that's just me.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I beat Mark of the Ninja with a k/b no issue. Then again it's just a really well made game

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Thoughtless posted:

Not really, no. If anything, I'd say the exact opposite: M+KB offers more precision, faster, especially in throwing things (which becomes critically important towards the last third of the game, having been only very important before that).

I suppose that the regular movement might be more granular with an analogue stick, but since you don't really need any granularity beyond slow and fast, that's just a thing to accidentally do wrong when you least need it.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Max Wilco posted:

When are they going to reveal/add the additional games for the Star Wars Humble Bundle? Is it based on how many donations they get, or will it be revealed within the last few days of the offer?

The Tuesday bundles run for two weeks and the additional games are revealed halfway through.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

They will reveal the bonus games on Tuesday, when the countdown timer hits 7 days exactly. I think it's noon PST, but don't quote me.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone played any of the Isolation dlc they seem loving kick rear end

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Is Darkest Dungeon as good as it looks? Everyone is raving about it and the game looks super polished for an Early Access title (also what is early access about it?)

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Tezzeract posted:

Is Darkest Dungeon as good as it looks? Everyone is raving about it and the game looks super polished for an Early Access title (also what is early access about it?)

It's fun and good. It's in Early Access because there are only 3/5 of the dungeon types, four missing character classes, and numerous little bug fixes and probably some mechanic changes coming.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So what should my game #666 be?

Here's my profile. I like shooters, open world games, games with loot, and games I can play for a few minutes at a time while listening to a podcast.

It doesn't have to necessarily be satanic or anything, despite the number. But I don't want it to be a crappy bundleware.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Acquire Currency! posted:

Has anyone played any of the Isolation dlc they seem loving kick rear end

They're basically reinterpretations of parts of the movie within the game, and last about as long as the respective parts do. If that's what you want, then yes, they kick rear end. The most common complaint is that they're not all that substantial, and there's some truth to that so take that into consideration if such things usually bother you.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Tezzeract posted:

Darkest Dungeon is pretty sweet yeah. It's early access because they want to add in more content such as dungeons, characters and other features.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Tezzeract posted:

It's Early Access because at least two dungeons aren't done (including the "Darkest Dungeon") and there's no ending. In other words it's unfinished in content, not basic mechanics.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Morter posted:

Here's my profile. I like shooters, open world games, games with loot, and games I can play for a few minutes at a time while listening to a podcast.

It doesn't have to necessarily be satanic or anything, despite the number. But I don't want it to be a crappy bundleware.

max payne 2

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Man, Gat Out of Hell would have been perfect.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Yes Darkest Dungeon still owns

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Morter posted:

Rainblood Chronicles is a good game, it just doesn't have cloud saves and the achievements on Steam's end are hosed unless you get the files posted on the forums by the devs through a link. If neither of those bother you (poo poo, SAM could fix the achievements anyway), then go for it. The fighting system is pretty straightforward and you can do some poo poo like keep your enemy up in the air until they die (once you get the relevant upgrades). I know what's worth grabbing at first and what can be put off, so feel free to shoot me a line.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Man, Gat Out of Hell would have been perfect.
If you're saying the lack of story missions I'd agree.

The 100% ending sucks too because the civil war in Hell could totally have been a subplot in 5.

Still a fun game regardless.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tippis posted:

They're basically reinterpretations of parts of the movie within the game, and last about as long as the respective parts do. If that's what you want, then yes, they kick rear end. The most common complaint is that they're not all that substantial, and there's some truth to that so take that into consideration if such things usually bother you.

Actually that sounds really cool, it's one of my favorite movies. Prolly wait for a sale so they'll be really cheap

I haven't actually beaten the main game but I'm getting my poo poo wrecked in the nest

frank.club fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 9, 2015

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Morter posted:

Do you need a copy of Bad Rats or DInner Date?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tippis posted:

No, that's only the case for the preorder DLC. It has a whole bunch of other DLC missions out already.

They're all challenge maps that run 45-75mn long, reuse levels from the main game but task you with doing different objectives, usually with a twist (the latest one doesn't let you save normally, for example - you need to get score by doing the objectives to be allowed to "spend" some of that score to activate a save station), and they all have leaderboards so you can score attack them. They're honestly a meaty addition to the game, but they do feel like more of the same.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No, that's only the case for the preorder DLC. It has a whole bunch of other DLC missions out already.

They're all challenge maps that run 45-75mn long, reuse levels from the main game but task you with doing different objectives, usually with a twist (the latest one doesn't let you save normally, for example - you need to get score by doing the objectives to be allowed to "spend" some of that score to activate a save station), and they all have leaderboards so you can score attack them. They're honestly a meaty addition to the game, but they do feel like more of the same.

Good point. For some reason, I keep only thinking of Crew Expendable and Last Survivor as the DLC, because the rest “just shows up” (read: I forgot I got the season pass). But yes, the stuff included in the season pass is more along the lines of special game modes or challenge maps than any kind of narrative.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
So I picked up Valkyria Chronicles, and beyond when you first open the game, I can't figure out how in the gently caress to get to the graphics settings. The Options is just in-game stuff like camera controls. There's no Graphics tab or anything. Am I blind?

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

New Leaf posted:

So I picked up Valkyria Chronicles, and beyond when you first open the game, I can't figure out how in the gently caress to get to the graphics settings. The Options is just in-game stuff like camera controls. There's no Graphics tab or anything. Am I blind?

When you go to Play from your library, it should prompt you to either launch the config or launch the game. If it doesnt then you can just right click and go to configure

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
Having never played any of the Sniper Elite games, would it be better to pick up 2 or 3? I'm itching to headshot some nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is the Vanishing of Ethan Carter good?

• Locked thread